Menu

The Tower of Babel?

To me the Tower of Babel is very interesting, it is like a living example how things can evolve that we can see and experience. Are we discussing Babel as a punishment for wickedness and pride or is it being discussed as a cradle of civilization? This is something Biblical scholars have not agreed on. :)

Do I think it is plausible that several languages occurred in one moment? Sure. Do I think it is plausible that the text is offering the land of Shinar and Babel as a cradle? Sure.

I can easily see both perspectives.

Stories similar to the Tower of Babel appear in in Central America, Africa, India, in Irish folklore and others. It is fascinating.

How many years were there between the Flood and the Tower of Babel? It seems most accounts say between 200-700 years, depending on the source.

No. To me it's a mythical explanation for why there are different languages and also a lesson on our relationship with God.

My understanding of how different languages evolved is that they...evolved. Populations moved, a degree of isolation and different environments, shaped their languages then again, populations moved, etc.

Nope. One of my majors in college was Anthropology, and once you see the ways in which different languages evolve from one another, it's pretty hard to imagine the Babel myth as being literally true.

It is, however, a great myth. Some kind of cultural memory of Proto-Indo-European, maybe? Other cultures have myths very similar, even in places like South America, which makes it all the more fascinating.

No. To me it's a mythical explanation for why there are different languages and also a lesson on our relationship with God.

My understanding of how different languages evolved is that they...evolved. Populations moved, a degree of isolation and different environments, shaped their languages then again, populations moved, etc.

^^ Yep. My degree is in linguistics.

Nope. One of my majors in college was Anthropology, and once you see the ways in which different languages evolve from one another, it's pretty hard to imagine the Babel myth as being literally true.

It is, however, a great myth. Some kind of cultural memory of Proto-Indo-European, maybe? Other cultures have myths very similar, even in places like South America, which makes it all the more fascinating.

I agree with the posts like these. I wouldn't 100% preclude the possibility of it being true, but I don't really "believe" it's true. I believe it's a representational story. Which, to me, doesn't make The Bible false in any way. An allegory (or representational story) is "true" in a different sense than a literally true story. I'm a Christian and believe that The Bible is true in a larger sense.

I agree with the posts like these. I wouldn't 100% preclude the possibility of it being true, but I don't really "believe" it's true. I believe it's a representational story. Which, to me, doesn't make The Bible false in any way. An allegory (or representational story) is "true" in a different sense than a literally true story. I'm a Christian and believe that The Bible is true in a larger sense.

Same here. For me, "true" is not synonymous with factual.

Same here. For me, "true" is not synonymous with factual.

This is true for me also. To help along the idea of differences possibly between OE and YE, I am Catholic and Old Earth. What I have been taught, what I believe, and what I teach my children is that the first part of Genesis (pre-Abraham) is all wisdom stories, not factual, historical, nor scientific. There is fantastic and necessary truth contained within those first 11 of so chapters, but not fact. And for me, at least, that only strengthens my faith rather than reducing it.

I very much agree with this.

http://faculty.gordo...y_Babel_WTJ.pdf

I finally "re-found" an article on this topic I had read when I was trying to make sense of what I was finding in study of this time period and my understanding of the bible. It's from Westminster Theological Seminary and is titled The Date of the Tower of Babel and Some Theological Implications. They are actually taking it from an actual event but written from the perspective of ancient people standpoint. It's an interesting read and a potential way to reconcile the literal reading with archaeological finds dating the tower late in human history. That said I didn't realize until I studied these things the views held by Christians that we have allegorical writings pre-Abram. I have been talking with seminary graduates and reading a lot and I see that things can be more beautiful and meaningful from that perspective. I just didn't know it existed a month or so ago! Because this is all so new to me, OP, I'm being cautious with what I teach my kids about these things now. I regret teaching them some of what I have in the past because I want them to know the bible is truth and not be led astray by my teaching it means something it doesn't. I think it's good to think about these things. I'm really glad you posted this question.

No. Like other bible stories the Tower of Babel story seeks to provide a mythological explanation for the human condition, which in this case was to answer the obvious question of why people in different locals (or between one tribal group an another) speak different languages.

Bill

We do not have this story in the Qur'an; there are ayat (verses) that specifically state that the variety we see in languages is a sign of the wonder of nature/creation.

One part of my oldest ds' literary analysis program that I have actually really appreciated is the section on Biblical allusions, because he had not heard of virtually any of them (this being one of them.. how would he know what a Babel fish is?).

As a Christian, I believe it's true. I don't think it really matters whether you're a young earth creationist or old earth. (I haven't made up my mind about this issue yet. Lot's of research has shown me that both sides have very good, plausible arguments with scientific data to back up both.)

However, I am constantly careful to try not to impress my dd with just my beliefs. I feel it's vitally important for the strength of her faith to come to conclusions on her own. For that very reason, I have taught her both Evolution and Creationism. We have discussed evidences for both a young earth and an old earth. And on we will go.

By the way, a little off topic, but a really excellent video about the creation of our universe is "Journey Toward Creation" narrated by Dr. Hugh Ross, PhD. He is an old-earth creationist. This video taught me that scientists agree that there are 200 criteria which must be met in order for life to occur. The chances of those 200 criteria to occur by random chance is 10 to the 215th power -- that's 10 with 215 zeros behind it! In other words - virtually impossible! And yet, Evolution is still taught as fact in our public school systems.

As a Christian, I believe it's true. I don't think it really matters whether you're a young earth creationist or old earth. (I haven't made up my mind about this issue yet. Lot's of research has shown me that both sides have very good, plausible arguments with scientific data to back up both.)

However, I am constantly careful to try not to impress my dd with just my beliefs. I feel it's vitally important for the strength of her faith to come to conclusions on her own. For that very reason, I have taught her both Evolution and Creationism. We have discussed evidences for both a young earth and an old earth. And on we will go.

By the way, a little off topic, but a really excellent video about the creation of our universe is "Journey Toward Creation" narrated by Dr. Hugh Ross, PhD. He is an old-earth creationist. This video taught me that scientists agree that there are 200 criteria which must be met in order for life to occur. The chances of those 200 criteria to occur by random chance is 10 to the 215th power -- that's 10 with 215 zeros behind it! In other words - virtually impossible! And yet, Evolution is still taught as fact in our public school systems.

Old Earth Creationists mostly believe in evolution. Believing in evolution is not believing in abiogenesis. How that spark of life started is unknown and hotly debated, even among the religious. I think it would be wrong to teach the Christian version in schools, even if it is what I believe. Evolution is only a mechanism. The religious views are best left for parents and/or the church to guide-those are not scientifically testable, they vary enormously, do you really want your child taught *all* of the different views on creation?

That's only if you go straight from nothing to something like complex mammals in one step. That's not the way it would have happened, though

Yep! God's word is inerrant and sufficient. I can trust it to be true. That is what we also teach our children.

Absolutely! And we are thankful that we love and serve Him who cannot be explained...or contained in the box(es) of human academia, science, reasoning, logic, etc. He could have--and did--confound the languages in any manner He so chose, regardless of whether we "mere-humans" can explain it or not. "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the Lord. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts." Isaiah 55:8-9

Yes, I believe the story of the tower of Babel actually happened.

And I remember how fascinated I was taking Intro to Linguistics at my (secular) state university and learning about language families and realizing that God created the different stem languages (like proto-Indo-European) and then they evolved from there. Some linguists actually think that language evolved separately in more than one place because some language families are so very different. Those of us who believe in creation aren't stuck with that highly unlikely theory:) It was also fascinating to learn that the grammar of languages tends to simplify with time; for example, Classical Greek had five cases, Koine Greek four cases and modern Greek three cases. Another example is the grammar of Latin as compared with French or Spanish - which is part of why so many classical educators want their kids studying the grammar of Latin. I loved that linguistics course enough to consider switching out of my science major! But, now I get the best of both worlds since, as an adult, I get the privilege of living overseas in a town where the two main languages spoken are from different families (one Altaic and one Indo-European) and it's amazing how different their grammar and syntax is! I've loved learning to speak both:)

This

Some linguists actually think that language evolved separately in more than one place because some language families are so very different. Those of us who believe in creation aren't stuck with that highly unlikely theory:)

Just out of curiosity, why do you think this theory is highly unlikely?

I belive that the wisdom literature of the Bible is just as true as the rest of the Bible. Narratives such as allegories and epic accounts are not 'untrue' though they may be not concretely factual.

The tough parts of thinking that way is (a) trying to see which sections of the Bible might be wisdom literature, trying to find out what criteria we use to decide that, and (B) trying to set aside my westernized fact=truth mindset and be willing to at least try to grasp the truth that comes through the wisdom genre, even though it's genuinely a difficult thing for people of our culture to do.

Honestly, it leads me to less certainty and more humility in the face of the Word of God... which actually might be appropreate.

Yep! God's word is inerrant and sufficient. I can trust it to be true. That is what we also teach our children.

Haven't read all of the posts yet, but I agree with this. If you take away the literal interpretation of Genesis 1-12, you mess with inerrancy of Scripture. I believe that the Tower of Babel explains the source of all the languages we have today, though I doubt that there were over 6,000 languages at first. I've heard the explanation that there were 75 at first, and the rest evolved from those "parent" languages over time and travel, etc. This is what I see here in Africa. Many of the "sub-Saharan" African languages are very similar in structure and totally different from Romantic languages. We began learning Venda, then switched to Tsonga; and Tsonga came so much faster with our base knowledge of Venda. It is quite possible that originally there was 1 or just a handful of African languages that all the rest came from it. In fact, we know that in "recent" history (the last couple hundred of years), Tsonga evolved somewhat from Zulu. Also, as English is the national language of South Africa and many other African countries, you see the national language's influence on those languages. The Tsonga people are losing their vocabulary every year; and much of their vocab for "modern" terms comes from Afrikaans--"fasitere" for window comes from the Afrikaans "faster." (not sure on the spelling there!)

No. We treat it like any other myth.

No. Like other bible stories the Tower of Babel story seeks to provide a mythological explanation for the human condition, which in this case was to answer the obvious question of why people in different locals (or between one tribal group an another) speak different languages.

Bill

All of the above.