Menu

Thanksgiving wouldn't be Thanksgiving without (check ALL that apply)

Thanksgiving  

272 members have voted

1. 1. I need the following to make it real Thanksgiving (check all that apply)

• Turkey
    • Ham
    • rolls
    • Stuffing
    • Mashing potatoes
    • cranberry relish
    • Green bean casserole
    • Corn
    • sweet potato casserole
    • yams
    • pumpkin pie
    • pecan pie
    • chocolate cake
    • Peanut butter and Jelly (just seeing who is paying attention)
    • Other (please mention)
  2. 2. I really do NOT like this traditional Thanksgiving dish

• yams
    • sweet potatoes
    • mashed potatoes
    • turkey
    • pumpkin pie
    • pecan pie
    • green bean casserole
    • cranberry relish
    • stuffing
    • rolls
    • other (please mention)

I should have added other to my vote for the must-haves. We must have "pink stuff"! Cottage cheese, crushed pineapple, cool whip, and jello mix.

I also have to have sweet potatoes, green bean casserole, and stuffing. But only my step-dad's homemade stuffing, not that boxed carp. Pumpkin pie and turkey are necessary, too.

I voted that I dislike cranberry relish but I've actually never tried it. I haven't tried pecan pie, either. I like everything else we have, but I usually don't put much mashed potatoes or corn on my plate. I love both, but we have them all the time throughout the year. The others are mostly holiday dishes, so I'd rather fill up on them! Oh, except I love to mix a bit of mashed potatoes with my stuffing! It's so yummy! I also sometimes mix a bit of sweet potato with stuffing. My step-dad's stuffing is just so awesome it makes everything else better :D

Mmmm, I'm so excited. Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday :D I can never come up with a Christmas list, but I could talk about our Thanksgiving traditions all day! lol

My aunt's nasty Jell-O salad which she serves without fail ever holiday gathering and I have to choke down a bite just to be polite. :ack2: Lime Jell-O, cottage cheese, weird mix of fruits & vegetables :ack2: :ack2: :ack2:

My grandmas version of the lime jello salad includes cheddar cheese, carrots, and walnuts. :scared:

:ack2: My mom is making something along these lines this year. Apparently it's a tradition in my dad's family. She insists it's wonderful. I think it sounds horrible. We were in the grocery store and she was getting ingredients and said, "Do you think a 9x13 pan will be enough?" Uh yeah, mom, , . I think it will be more than enough. But I'll be the first to admit I have major textural issues with Jell-O anyway, despite my Mormon upbringing :D

I like lots of things but traditional Thanksgiving foods are not my favorites. I like my fruits and vegetables unadulterated (except for butter, of course) and not candied, topped, creamed, or jelled. I cannot handle any of the three jello concoctions my family must have at every holiday. Yuck. And especially not the Jiffy corn pudding or cheese whiz, broccoli and rice dishes my inlaws make. I'm not as picky as I come across . . . really!

:ack2: My mom is making something along these lines this year. Apparently it's a tradition in my dad's family. She insists it's wonderful. I think it sounds horrible. We were in the grocery store and she was getting ingredients and said, "Do you think a 9x13 pan will be enough?" Uh yeah, mom, , . I think it will be more than enough. But I'll be the first to admit I have major textural issues with Jell-O anyway, despite my Mormon upbringing :D

My grandma always makes a 9x13. She is the only one who will touch the stuff. One year she didn't make it and we all got mad at her because we couldn't make fun of her for eating it. Poor grandma. Pretty sure she got the recipe at a relief society function. :lol:

In past years, I would have chosen turkey, green bean casserole, sweet potatoes and pecan pie, but, this year, I am living in China. We have been invited to Thanksgiving dinner at another American family's house, but I have no idea what will be served. I just thankful that we do get to celebrate the holiday even though I will be 8,000 miles away from extended family.

In past years, I would have chosen turkey, green bean casserole, sweet potatoes and pecan pie, but, this year, I am living in China. We have been invited to Thanksgiving dinner at another American family's house, but I have no idea what will be served. I just thankful that we do get to celebrate the holiday even though I will be 8,000 miles away from extended family.

How wonderful that you will still be able to celebrate Thanksgiving!!

Oh my word......see......and I am thinking pineapple should never be mixed with jello and/or cottage cheese.......do not like jello in any form nor do I like cottage cheese.......

definitely different tastes.

Dawn

I should have added other to my vote for the must-haves. We must have "pink stuff"! Cottage cheese, crushed pineapple, cool whip, and jello mix.

We are heading to friends. We are having most of what I listed......but no chocolate cake and no PB&J.

I will most likely also make my 7 layer cookie bars as I love them and I don't care for pie nor can I have all the wheat in the pumpkin cake our host said she has made.

And aren't sweet potatoes the same thing as yams?

Yes, they are the same thing the way they're being used here. True yams are generally unavailable in the U.S. My favorite link on the subject (possibly because I like using the words monocot and dicot): http://www.loc.gov/r...weetpotato.html

As for me, the first thing I think of for Thanksgiving is having a sock to knit. I also like the rolls, and I really can't stand sweet potatoes that have been desecrated with marshmallows and pineapple; but I can live through the food gaffs as long as I have my sock.

It doesn't end up as jello at all. You just use the packet to color, sweeten, and add a touch of the strawberry flavor. Last year we added real strawberries, too. It's really much better than it sounds and is definitely not jello! It's final consistency is more like cool whip but with texture from the cottage cheese and pineapple. Definitely not for everyone though, DH doesn't like it, either.

Hmm...this was supposed to quote. Can we not quote while mobile or did I just do it wrong? Or can I just not see the quote mobile? Sorry, OT

I chose "other" in the first part of the poll. Butternut Squash Soup needs to be on the table for me to call it Thanksgiving. In fact, you could take away everything else and I would still be happy.

In the second part I voted for green bean casserole as the thing I especially do not care for. It also makes me cry when someone puts marshmallows and brown sugar on sweet potatoes. Please stop doing that.

And Jello is not a salad.

Hey! I make jello salad. You are all officially uninvited to Thanksgiving at my house! More jello, cottage cheese, pineapple chunks, and cool whip for me! Humph!

My mother makes two things that are very int eresting with jello. I laugh hysterically every Thanksgiving. She and my sister eat it. One is called glorified rice. I think this has something to do with my grandmother's obsession with everything being righteous and of the Lord, so she gave everything a Christian name. glorified rice is cold rice, lemon jello, and some other things I am not sure. Oh and Cool Whip and pinenapple chunks. And then there is pineapple delight. This is again, lemon Jello, crumbled angel food cake (or something like that), cool whip, pineapple chunks and I'm sure some other things. I am pretty sure she just keeps making these because it was the one positive thing she had during child hood. Lemon Jello I guess.

My mother makes two things that are very int eresting with jello. I laugh hysterically every Thanksgiving. She and my sister eat it. One is called glorified rice. I think this has something to do with my grandmother's obsession with everything being righteous and of the Lord, so she gave everything a Christian name. glorified rice is cold rice, lemon jello, and some other things I am not sure. Oh and Cool Whip and pinenapple chunks. And then there is pineapple delight. This is again, lemon Jello, crumbled angel food cake (or something like that), cool whip, pineapple chunks and I'm sure some other things. I am pretty sure she just keeps making these because it was the one positive thing she had during child hood. Lemon Jello I guess.

My brother in law's family makes a jello "salad" with bits of chicken in it. :scared: That certainly could never be "Righteous and of the Lord"

I might get in trouble for this, but I firmly believe that a thick bacon wrap is the only thing that might make a Tofurky edible.

:gnorsi:

LOL. No, I'm a lifelong vegetarian, and I agree with you. Tofurkey isn't edible. There are far better vegetarian "roast" type things out there. My favs are Field Roast and Gardein. Much better.

The only thing I really need for a succesful Thanksgiving is pie. All kinds of pie. I've been known to make 3 to 4 different pies even when it's just me, DH, and DS having Thanksgiving by ourselves. :o What I don't need is turkey (see above) or green bean casserole (yuck).

Hey! I make jello salad. You are all officially uninvited to Thanksgiving at my house! More jello, cottage cheese, pineapple chunks, and cool whip for me! Humph!

My brother in law's family makes a jello "salad" with bits of chicken in it. :scared: That certainly could never be "Righteous and of the Lord"

This whole Jell-o thing (which is completely foreign to me...must be a combination of being a vegetarian and living on the east coast?) is getting very entertaining. Just sayin'. :laugh:

It's not Thanksgiving without my grandmas potatoes. I don't know what they are really called because we just call them Grandmas Potatoes. :) Basically they are a heart attack waiting to happen. Potatoes, sour cream, cheese... topped with crunchy buttery topping. Oh so yummy and the only time of the year I willingly eat cream of soups.

Green Bean Casserole?? Ewwww. Just the look of it makes me want to gag. Add in the smell and taste and it's game over for me. *shudders*

Thanksgiving wouldn't be Thanksgiving without...

turkey

mashed potatoes

cresent rolls

mashed turnips (for dh)

stuffing

creamed onions

cranberry chutney

green beans with almonds

pumpkin soup

tassies (mini pecan pies)

and the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade

For all those who are shuddering at green bean casserole - you must have only had the can o'crud kind. DH makes his own creamy mushroom base, uses fresh green beans, and of course, the fried onions. It's delish! In fact, I make him make extra of the mushroom stuff so I can eat it on it's own.

I made my own this week. I made the mushroom soup with coconut milk. It was good. :)

Okay, the other food I like to have Thanksgiving day is cranberry muffins with breakfast.

Ohhh...would love a recipe!

I've been trying to decide all day whether or not to do mashed potatoes. We're doing a small Thanksgiving - just us 4 - and I'm making enough food that we don't need them...but I just keep thinking it won't really be Thanksgiving without them!

Yuck!! :lol: :lol:

D: I can get on board with a little fruit in the jello but once one adds savory things that makes me feel sick. Like those cabbage meat jello recipes. I probably wouldn't look at this link if I was pregnant.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/18/jello-salad_n_1878210.html

I love the turkey, our chicken and dressing (hate what many others call dressing or stuffing), my mother's mashed potatoes, the white or California peas, our macaroni and cheese (usually hate homemade Mac and cheese), and a bite of the green bean casserole.

I've never really loved sweet potatoes (pie or otherwise) nor pumpkin pie. Don't like cranberry sauce. Don't like pecan pies. Hmmm...guess you could if it's sweet, I probably don't like it. :)

Weird, I know! :)

Sounds yummy. I am seriously considering going back to a Vegan diet after Thanksgiving. I felt so much better eating that way. I am not a huge meat fan anyway. If we weren't going anywhere, I would probably not even eat any.

We don't eat poultry, pork, or beef. Our Thanksgiving is either a vegetarian Tofurky or seafood of some kind (swordfish or lobster, depending what the boats have brought in or what we have in the freezer).

Yes to seasonal produce -- squash, root vegetables, brussels sprouts, nuts, etc. No to vegetables/fruits that couldn't possibly grow in my climate at this season.

No to casseroles. I just discovered Paula Deen on my iPad -- frozen chopped broccoli + mayonnaise + canned cream of mushroom soup + cheese + cracker crumbs + butter No, no, no.