Menu

Stackable washer/dryer

Does anyone have a stackable washer/dryer? This was suggested in another thread to make more room in the laundry room. This would be an awesome solution, except I worry about my height. I am 5'2" and want to make sure I can reach...anyone have experience with a stackable set?

I am the same height and used my friend's several times. Her model was fine, but I would have needed a step stool if anything got stuck too far back in the top(like socks, etc) .Her's was a top loader washer on the bottom and front load dryer on the top. It was too small for me...had to do 1/2 my normal loads. So I would check size before I bought.

I have the Whirlpool basic front loaders that are stackable. When I bought them, I had them stacked to give me more room in the laundry closet. The height was not a problem for me (5'5") and my kids used a stool for getting things out of the dryer. I did end up unstacking them, because I realized that with the front loaders I could put a counter top over them, and I would have plenty of space for folding, storing laundry supplies, etc. That arrangement works better for me.

I have the Whirlpool basic front loaders that are stackable. When I bought them, I had them stacked to give me more room in the laundry closet. The height was not a problem for me (5'5") and my kids used a stool for getting things out of the dryer. I did end up unstacking them, because I realized that with the front loaders I could put a counter top over them, and I would have plenty of space for folding, storing laundry supplies, etc. That arrangement works better for me.

I'm looking at the kind you can unstack, so I guess it won't be a permanent arrangement and I can always unstack if I hated it!

I have a stackable set. This is what I wish someone had told me. If you buy a beautiful stackable set and the washing machine dies in year 3, you can not just go and buy a different washing machine and stick it under your dryer. The brackets most likely won't line up. I can't even get a Whirlpool bracket to work with both Whirlpool machines because of the difference in ages of the machines. :glare: If I don't use an "approved" stacking kit, then my warranty for my dryer will be void on the dryer because I didn't use the right stacking kit!

My local store now offers "Stackable Insurance" which costs $50 for the 5 years, if you buy the full 5 year warranty. If at anytime one of the machines dies, and they can not fix it, they will buy out both the washer and dryer so that you can buy a new SET. Isn't that so nice of the company to offer a $50 insurance policy but no one can offer a proper kit? I'll be back to using my machines side by side.

I have a stackable set. This is what I wish someone had told me. If you buy a beautiful stackable set and the washing machine dies in year 3, you can not just go and buy a different washing machine and stick it under your dryer. The brackets most likely won't line up. I can't even get a Whirlpool bracket to work with both Whirlpool machines because of the difference in ages of the machines. :glare: If I don't use an "approved" stacking kit, then my warranty for my dryer will be void on the dryer because I didn't use the right stacking kit!

My local store now offers "Stackable Insurance" which costs $50 for the 5 years, if you buy the full 5 year warranty. If at anytime one of the machines dies, and they can not fix it, they will buy out both the washer and dryer so that you can buy a new SET. Isn't that so nice of the company to offer a $50 insurance policy but no one can offer a proper kit? I'll be back to using my machines side by side.

Boo! :thumbdown: Thanks for this warning! I'll have to check that out.

I have full size LG W/D front loading that I stacked. Even my youngest DD has no problem reaching into the top dryer, she just uses a step stool. Personally I really like having my laundry room configured this way but realize there may be some negatives down the road, especially if I decide to change sets since my cabinets/counter top are built in around the W/D.

I currently have a stacked washer/dryer and I hate it! The problem is that if you wash a full load and want to dry it on low, it will take 2 full drying cycles to dry. I can dry towels or sheets on a long (70 minute) cycle on high. When I asked about it, I was told that generally on stacked units, the dryer's capacity to dry is less than the washer's capacity to wash. It makes getting a lot of laundry done in a day hard. If I had space for a side-by-side, I would have them in a heartbeat.

I currently have a stacked washer/dryer and I hate it! The problem is that if you wash a full load and want to dry it on low, it will take 2 full drying cycles to dry. I can dry towels or sheets on a long (70 minute) cycle on high. When I asked about it, I was told that generally on stacked units, the dryer's capacity to dry is less than the washer's capacity to wash. It makes getting a lot of laundry done in a day hard. If I had space for a side-by-side, I would have them in a heartbeat.

That seems odd. Do you only have a small apartment size set? Our full size Duets wash/dry in about the same amount of time depending on the settings.

I have a full size washer and dryer that we purchased a stacking kit for. The shorter members of our family don't have a problem reaching anything. Our problem is that the space is tight and the doors open in different directions. This makes switching loads a bit awkward. We never thought of that possibility when ordering. Our next set will open on the same side!

I have a full size washer and dryer that we purchased a stacking kit for. The shorter members of our family don't have a problem reaching anything. Our problem is that the space is tight and the doors open in different directions. This makes switching loads a bit awkward. We never thought of that possibility when ordering. Our next set will open on the same side!

You should be able to switch the dryer door around. They usually come with a kit to do that. If it didn't come with a kit, it may be universal for either side. Check your owners manual or online for a copy if you don't have it still.

It sounds like the issue lies with whether you have a set that is sold stacked or have just decided to stack a set that would normally not be stacked. Sounds like people are happier with the latter.

We stacked our regular set and are very happy with it. But mine is even taller, my front loader is sitting one one of those storage drawers to make it taller, and then the dryer on that. But we are a tall family. :). The kids can reach on a stepstool. We have a piece of carpet, then a piece of plywood, and another piece of carpet in between them (we did this ourselves without a kit). The carpet is rubber-backed, it helps absorb sound.

Does anyone have a stackable washer/dryer? This was suggested in another thread to make more room in the laundry room. This would be an awesome solution, except I worry about my height. I am 5'2" and want to make sure I can reach...anyone have experience with a stackable set?

I have stacked LGs. Love the machines. Hate that I agreed to stack them (we didn't have to). Believe me, if you ever have any shoulder/neck/arm/back pain, you will wish you hadn't stacked them! The washer is too low and the dryer is too high. SO unergonomical! Also, it makes it harder for dd to help with laundry.

I'm not sure, but stacking may make the vibration worse.

I'm about 5'2".

My humble opinion: just say NO to stacked machines! :glare:

I have stacked LGs. Love the machines. Hate that I agreed to stack them (we didn't have to). Believe me, if you ever have any shoulder/neck/arm/back pain, you will wish you hadn't stacked them! The washer is too low and the dryer is too high. SO unergonomical! Also, it makes it harder for dd to help with laundry.

I'm not sure, but stacking may make the vibration worse.

I'm about 5'2".

My humble opinion: just say NO to stacked machines! :glare:

LOL I have a bad back and I LOVE my stacked machines. LOL I like that I don't have to bend/twist to move items around. The vertical move from down to up is much easier for me.

We bought new Samsung front-loaders a few years ago.

We have used them both un-stacked and stacked. I think I prefer stacked and I'm about 5'3".

If we went back to using them un-stacked, I would purchase the pedestals/drawers to get them up off the floor a little.

I hate stacked washer and dryers. I find them uncomfortable. Wet towels are heavy. I always feel like I can't get my head in there to get a good look if I left a sock in the washing machine (if it is a top loader). I have my dryer on a pedastal and it is the best thing ever. When we had no power and my friend was letting me use her washer and dryer I realized I had forgotten what a pia it is to bend over like that to get the clothes out of the dryer when it is on the floor.