Menu

If your kids do not get flu shots, why not?

Personally, I don't view the flu as a risk to be avoided.

I also am not a fan of putting chemicals in bodies without a very good reason. I also need a very good reason to budget my family's time and money for something that isn't even fun.

I have heard that the shot isn't that effective and also that it makes some people sick.

If I had someone in the household or whom I often see who would be at serious risk if exposed to the flu, I would take that into consideration.

These are basically my reasons. We did all get flu shots the year youngest DD was a newborn (and was, IMO, more at risk if she got sick) because oldest DD was in preschool. Otherwise, I don't consider the benefits to outweigh the risks for us.

We do not. I do not have a profound reason, I just think it's unnecessary for your average healthy person.

:iagree:

I did a lot of research a few years ago. There just isn't enough evidence that it actually does anything great. It works best in people with strong immune systems, who don't really need it anyway, and barely works in people that have weak immune systems. There are articles out there by the guy that helped develop the vaccine about how there really isn't evidence that it works well.

This.

We also use Essential Oils to both boost our immunity and to use when we do get sick. Many essential oils are antiviral and antibacterial. I use Thieves specifically, which is antimicrobial, antiseptic, antifungal, antiviral and anti-infectious. It also amplifies immunity and promotes lymphatic functions. We use a drop or two a day for prevention and more when we're sick. DH and I both recently had bad colds (chills, aches, coughing, sore throats) and we knocked it out in 24 hrs.

Of course, good nutrition and hygene goes a long way towards helping prevent illness. I'm constantly reminding my family to wash their hands and keep them off the T-zone of their face (the eyes, nose and mouth).

While pregnant with my 7th child, I did see signs promoting pregnant women and elderly to get the shot.

I had blood drawn and hoped they would not pressure me to get the flu shot. Turns out no one mentioned it, but that could be because I was seeing a Midwife and not a regular OB.

The man drawing my blood was against it too. He remembers the old time swine flu and said it was not fatal.

I am glad I have not been drawn in to the circle, although I did succumb to a DTAP after my last baby and I am not sure if it made me sick or what, but I had to be hospitalized and had a major infection of some sort. I felt very flu like and had a fever, then my heart rate sky rocketed and I felt like I was dying. ( One day and night in the hospital on Very strong antibiotics) and pumping breasts, having tests but getting some rest too, did help.

I had to beg to go home to my baby ( 5 days old).

As for kiddo's: Our first 2 had all their shots up until boosters.... when I began reading about what they put in the shots, including mercury aka thimerisol, and about other disturbing cases of permanent damage or death. It also disturbed me to read that some of the vaccines were filtered through monkey organs.

My sister was in Nursing school and loaned me a book written by a Pediatrician ( I cannot remember the name) and he pretty much recommended natural immunity and only getting a Tetanus shot...to the best of my memory.

We lost our Pediatrician and were promised a new one ( 10 years ago)... Ours did not agree with us but was working with us. So, we have had a few get tetanus shots after stepping on rusty metal.

Back to the FLU shot: I don't see the need to be exposed to it. We try to boost our immunity, make soup to store for sicknesses, and go to the Doctor if necessary. So far, we have avoided the flu for over 10 years...

Edited by TGHEALTHYMOM

Title says it all. I have gotten them for my kids some years and not others and am just looking for reasons not to get them. I am pretty well aware of the arguments for flu shots but not the other way around. So other than, "I just never got around to it," which had been my excuse in the past, what else should I consider in weighing the equities here?

Terri

I do not wish to repeatedly pump my kids full of thimerosol (mercury), aluminum and formaldehyde for a negligible potential benefit. We have never had the flu.

From CDC: http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vac-gen/additives.htm

Edited by TranquilMind

Too much risk, not enough benefit.

It's a crap shoot as to whether you'll even be vaccinated against the flu strains you MAY get exposed to. There has also been a lot of speculation on whether it actually lowers your ability to fight off the flu if you catch it anyway.

Plus I'm one of those "rare" people that has had the flu ONCE in my life: the year I got a flu shot.

I also am not a fan of putting chemicals in bodies without a very good reason. I also need a very good reason to budget my family's time and money for something that isn't even fun.

I have heard that the shot isn't that effective and also that it makes some people sick.

If I had someone in the household or whom I often see who would be at serious risk if exposed to the flu, I would take that into consideration.

Pretty much this!

My biggest issue is that I don't like putting chemicals in our bodies unless absolutely necessary. Neither DS nor I have ever had a flu shot and we've never had the flu. DH, on the other hand, gets a flu shot every year at work. Guess who gets sick every. single. year? Yep, DH. :001_huh:

Despite a million different studies saying it can't possibly Betrue, I got sick every year while on active duty after getting a flu shot.

I got h1n1 and it stunk, but the strain I got wasn't in the vaccine anyway.:lol:No one else in the family got it, odd since I am the healthiest. You just never know- that's the only time I've been sick (other than a cold) in my adult life.

We don't get them mostly because of apathy though.

I just don't think they need them. We generally stay very healthy, nobody's in daycare or public schooling. I don't see the need. Plus, it could be a totally different strain in the shot vs. what's going around.

ETA: I did get them while pregnant and while the girls were babies, and the shot never made anyone sick. The mist, however, made the three of us who got it violently ill.

The risk doesn't outweigh the benefits for my kids.

-There's a family history of bad reactions to vaccines.

-They are healthy children who rarely get sick, and don't stay sick long when they do. Getting the flu would stink, but their immune system would be stronger when it's over.

-We're not convinced it's effective enough to be worth the other ingredients that come with the virus.

I do not believe the flu shot is effective, and I believe the other stuff in it is not healthy for us to have injected into our bodies. I also believe that all the hype about it is only a marketing strategy that is about money, and not at all about public health.

Yes and Amen! :D

:iagree: My dh got seriously ill from the flu shot years ago (like seizure & in the hospital), plus I used to work in medicine and never once saw where it helped. But I did see almost every single coworker who got the shot get sick within 48 hours. Plus dh used to work in pharmaceuticals and I do not trust them. For me, the risks do not outweigh the benefits. I am not changing my mind and I am not stupid, so please don't quote me trying to start a fight. ;)

We do not. I do not have a profound reason, I just think it's unnecessary for your average healthy person.

Us, too. I need a reason to act, not a reason to not act, and I've not heard a convincing reason to act (for us; we have friends who get flu shots for varied reasons and I've really never thought to question it).

Title says it all. I have gotten them for my kids some years and not others and am just looking for reasons not to get them. I am pretty well aware of the arguments for flu shots but not the other way around. So other than, "I just never got around to it," which had been my excuse in the past, what else should I consider in weighing the equities here?

Terri

Why not?

Because the annual flu shot is just a guess at what the strain MIGHT be this year....to me, its more about marketing & drama :D

The only time I made a real effort to get the flu shot was when my dad was in chemotherapy. I didn't want to risk bringing something to him when he was so sick.

Then for a few years we didn't because DS6 was egg allergic. He's outgrown his allergy. We got them two years ago, but not last year. I generally try to assess risk based on potential exposure.

I do not believe the flu shot is effective, and I believe the other stuff in it is not healthy for us to have injected into our bodies. I also believe that all the hype about it is only a marketing strategy that is about money, and not at all about public health.

:iagree: This, plus the kids' uncle (my dh's little brother) had Guillon Barre a few years ago. Why take a chance? Eat healthy, avoid excessive sugar, exercise, wash your hands and keep up your vitamins and trace minerals, especially, Vit D but also, vit C, zinc and just a regular multiple.

We have never done flu shots, and we have never gotten the flu (thank God). I do not feel that the benefit of the flu shot would be worth the risk (injecting whatever odd chemicals/preservatives, etc). I have heard it is not all that effective and I just don't see the need. Maybe for the elderly, yes. I tend to be a non-vaxxer but I am not a die-hard non vaxxer.

I took it when pregnant. Had my 3 little ones take it when expecting 4th baby. Those were the only times we've taken them. I just don't feel threatened. (God forbid we get sick from it after posting this)

I did a lot of research a few years ago. There just isn't enough evidence that it actually does anything great. It works best in people with strong immune systems, who don't really need it anyway, and barely works in people that have weak immune systems. There are articles out there by the guy that helped develop the vaccine about how there really isn't evidence that it works well.

I have a compromised immune system and I still refuse the shot. I take a lot of preventative measures in the winter.

Last year my mom had the flu shot and was extremely sick afterward. Whatever she had she passed on to me. No proof it was the flu shot, but she was the only person I was around during that period.