Menu

What percent of your wardrobe do you actually wear?

I still have all my business clothes from when I was a working mom that I can't let go of (just in case I have to work again); add in those clothes that are too small (darn you my baby weight!) and I bet I only wear 25% of the clothes in my closet. It's ridiculous!

My kids are all 9 and over and I still have clothes I dont fit . . . well, i'm gaining again due to a long term injury. but yeah, at least half my closet is things I dont wear but want to keep in case i lose weight or go back to work. but i do want to cull a lot of it, I just havent found the time.

75%. When I wash my shirts and hang them back up, I always put them on the same end of my closet. This automatically pushes all the clothes that I do not wear to the other end. A couple times a year, I donate the clothes I don't wear (even if I still like them).

I have half a dozen nice dresses from my husbands work events. I have only worn them once or twice, but since he started with a new company, I will hold onto them and hopefully wear them at least once again.

I do have 6 pair of pants that are just a size smaller that I am in right now, but I am losing weight so i will be in them soon.

I keep a tote under my bead that has my off season clothes.

I am pretty aggresive about getting rid of clothes I don't wear. I don't like to dig though them to find what I do want.

ETA: I misunderstood/misread the OP. I have a pretty small wardrobe (not that I am proud or anything lol). I wear 80 plus of what is in my closet.

There are some really nice pieces in my closet that do not seem to be dated, although I would need to lose 5 or 10 lbs to wear them.

I have a *very* small closet.

Edited by LibraryLover

I was going to say 100%, but that's not accurate. I wear all of what fits now, but probably 40% of that gets worn more often than the rest. I do have a handful of things one size up from what I wear now, and four pairs of dress pants two sizes up from what I wear now. I'm hanging onto them because it doesn't seem unrealistic that your pant size might fluctuate a bit.

Right now, I wear 100% of my clothes. I have clothes I wear to work, I have clothes I wear at home (sweats in the winter, shorts and t-shirts in summer) and clothes that I wear when I leave my house (jeans and shirts).

I've lost a large amount of weight and boxed up everything that is too big, but I still haven't gotten rid of it (I've maintained my loss for 1 1/2 years). I'm afraid I'll gain the weight back and I really liked some of my huge clothes and know that I could never afford to repurchase clothes. :D I've got everything from a 4x down to a medium. Hopefully, I'll get to the point where I can let go of the too big clothes. Any suggestions on the best way to get rid of them - sell, donate...?

Almost all of it. There are a few very dressy pieces and some that are size outliers (don't we all have "fat days" here and there?) and a very few things that are nice, but I just don't wear them for a particular reason. I have a shirt, for example, that has a lace cut-out, so I only wear that shirt with a black cami under it, but I don't have a black cami at the moment. :tongue_smilie: So - a couple of things like that. I mostly wear the things I have, though.

100% here; I can't afford to buy clothes just to have them sit in my closet. I don't even have separate categories for clothes; my work clothes are also my casual clothes. Well I guess I do have "sleeping" clothes.

I also wear my clothes till I wear them out, then buy new to replace. I don't even know what it feels like to go into the closet and go "oh, I forgot about that pair of pants" because they all get worn.

a lot of it is the work clothes tho . . . because i really expected to only be home for a year, and work clothes are expensive . . . I have a lot of jackets, like blazer-type jackets, and nice skirts. Dresses . . . interview outfits. i might be back to work in as little as 2 years, so it really does pay to keep it

I'd say 90% to 100%, really. There are a few items that are "a few times a year" type things, but each pair of pants and each top gets worn in the regular routine. I have gotten really good at only buying what I'll truly use, and getting rid of stuff that I haven't touched in ages. My wardrobe is really small, though. Just enough variety to not be boring, and a lot of mix/match stuff so that the same things can be worn often w/o seeming the same.

I got on a purging kick years ago. Right now I wear most of what I have, but I don't have a lot. I have held on to a skirt I wore over a decade ago for formal events but no top to go with it. But mostly everything I can wear. If I don't wear it in 2 years or it's not designated for camping/painting/yardwork, then it goes away.

98%. Formal function outfits get worn only once per year and I have two pairs of very nice jeans that I’m hoping to fit into again…

I don't have a lot of closet or storage space which means that anything that isn't used goes.

There are bookshelves where others would have closets ;-)

Right now I am cleaning out our basement, and weeding out maternity clothes to give away!

I actually was shocked to find clothes that are 16 years old and I am giving them away too. I will never be able to wear them due to my hips spreading..... baby weight still coming off, but I have 8 so it may not ever all come off!

I am accepting the reality of my body parts moving south too :confused:

Reading a blog on finances last year daily, also made me realize it is better to buy more expensive clothes that I love and will actually wear than to keep buying at thrift stores ( without trying them on!) so, I have tried them on and found some awesome pieces to wear this winter.

Anyway, I am trying to make the paradigm shift to less is more.

Of course right now we don't leave much at all, so I am hanging up kids clothes that are for church, pictures, etc. not to be worn without permission.

I also am still trying on clothes that I am just sick of looking at, and implementing the rule: If I haven't worn it in a year or don't love it, it is gone!

Wow, sounds like many of you are doing great! In looking over my closet again last night I forgot to include wearable winter clothes so that brings me to probably 50% but that's still just not okay. Clearly, I just need to let go.

:

Anyway, I am trying to make the paradigm shift to less is more.

I also am still trying on clothes that I am just sick of looking at, and implementing the rule: If I haven't worn it in a year or don't love it, it is gone!

:iagree:

80%? There are definitely things that I find and am like, ooh, I forgot about that... And there are a few items that I only wear occasionally, but most things get worn.

I was going to say all of it.

But then I have about 3 dresses that I only wear to weddings, or something equal formal - and that rarely happens. I also have a old karate outfit which I don't wear.

Other then that if I don't wear it, it eventually dies a honest death being buried alive in laundry land and never returns.