Menu

Calling All Chrysler Town and Country Parents

Mines a 2003, and they've been through several changes since then, but I really do love it. Every time I think about replacing it, I get back to thinking what a stupid idea that is when I could just get the old girl detailed and be perfectly content, lol. But, it is getting closer and closer to that 10 year mark I don't like...

If I could change one thing, it'd be a full seatbelt in the center back row. Not sure if the 2012 has that, but I imagine it probably does.

ETA: When we had just 3 kids, I took a captain's chair out to reach the two car seats in the back easily. It was awesome!

I'm on my second one, I love the Town and Country vans. I had my first one until it had over 200,000 miles on it. We then got a Chevy Express, then a Mazda5 (was nice but too small in the end) which we just traded in for our second Town and Country. I love it and should of just got another one in the first place!:D It is smooth, quiet, very comfortable, decent mileage, roomy, ahh...

Edited by Happyhomemama

We compared that van to the Honda when we started buying vans years ago and came to this conclusion-you can pay more for the Chrysler on what is mostly standard in the Honda already. If you are going to pay that kind of money I would seriously consider getting a Honda b/c you can't compare the reliability.

Mine's a 2008. I love it. It does have 3 full seat belts in the 3rd row. I have 2 that use boosters, one in the 3rd row & one in a captain's chair. The arrangement of the kids is to keep them from fighting. :tongue_smilie:I love the stow & go seating for the hidden storage area. That's where I stash my camera when we go on vacation. :D I always have 3 karate gear bags in the cargo area and have room for groceries. Our has the remote starter which is a great feature. I use it in the summer as much as I do in the winter. Anything specific that you want to know?

We owned both a town and country and an Odyssey for 4 years. The T&C was the base model (no automatic anything) and the Odyssey was one level up (but still no leather seats, DVD, navigation etc). We vastly preferred the Odyssey. Some of it had to do with the electronics of the Odyssey (so if we had a higher model of T&C this may not have been an issue) but the reality was the Odyssey was a better drive, less bumps, better control, handled corners betters, better gas mileage etc. Also the seats were much more comfortable. My husband commuted in the T&C and I drove the kids in the Odyssey, however, outside of work, anytime either of us went somewhere (even without kids) we would take the Odyssey since it was just so much nicer to drive.

Also our Odyssey was a 2002 and the T&C was a 2003. Some of these things may have changed in recent years but keep that in mind but I will still test drive all your options.

We owned both a town and country and an Odyssey for 4 years. The T&C was the base model (no automatic anything) and the Odyssey was one level up (but still no leather seats, DVD, navigation etc). We vastly preferred the Odyssey. Some of it had to do with the electronics of the Odyssey (so if we had a higher model of T&C this may not have been an issue) but the reality was the Odyssey was a better drive, less bumps, better control, handled corners betters, better gas mileage etc. Also the seats were much more comfortable. My husband commuted in the T&C and I drove the kids in the Odyssey, however, outside of work, anytime either of us went somewhere (even without kids) we would take the Odyssey since it was just so much nicer to drive.

Also our Odyssey was a 2002 and the T&C was a 2003. Some of these things may have changed in recent years but keep that in mind but I will still test drive all your options.

I have done some searches and there are no new used (does that make sense?!?) in our area. We don't buy new vehicles. I have found several T&C that were commuter cars for the dealership, short term lease, ect. with pretty low milage and completely loaded with everything from nav system to dvd to back up camera for around $25K for a 2012.

We are a three time T&C owning family, with 2 currently with us. Would never buy anything else if we were in the market for another minivan. One now has about 240,000 miles, one has 163,000. Our other one was approaching 100,000 when we had an accident with it. In all seriousness, we have never had a major repair on any of the three of them. Nothing, nada, zip. They have been the most reliable cars I have ever owned. Even at higher mileage we see almost no difference in how they feel or drive than when they were low mileage. I expect to easily get another 100,000 miles out of our "newer" one.

Hope this helps!

Cindy

I believe the 2012 T&C is still the same as the Grand Caravan. My mechanics have always said that the people happy with theirs have the 3.3L and not 3.8L engines, as far as long term repair costs. My dad and brother each have one (t&C for my brother, GC for my dad- exact same car really) and this has worked out for them. My Dad's is on its last legs but has 210k miles and my brother's is going strong at 140k.

If we get a minivan, it will be a used T&C or GC. Honestly, at least in the next few years it would need to be because before my husband is done with school, I don't wager we will be able to afford a Honda or Toyota minivan. There is a huge price difference, as I am sure you have seen. You do get a smoother ride out of the Japanese makes for sure, but it comes with a price and many of the features of the Dodge/Chryslers are quite nice. Just shop carefully and get a full independent pre purchase inspection.

Edited by kijipt

I have a 2000 with AWD and towing. I love it. not happy when I learned they stopped making AWD. Not sure what I'll buy next (maybe a camry and a beater pickup?), as I love being able to haul stuff. no plans to replace it as it only has 120,000 miles on it. I replaced a grand caravan when I bought it.

I have the 3.8L and all bells and whistles. One thing I wanted, but didn't get, was running boards. makes it easier for those who have a hard time climbing in a higher sitting vehicle. never had any problems.

not one of the other vans on the market at the time were as roomy for hauling people and their stuff. I had guys with SUV's tell me I couldn't fit the item I was buying from them in my van because they couldn't get it in their enormo SUV. yeah, just watch. piece of cake. 4 x 8 sheet of plywood laying flat. love it.

Edited by gardenmom5

I recommend the T & C. We loved ours but had to sell it to get a van with more seats... now we have 2 vans, and one is a 12 passenger, we use mostly for church.

My mom just got her first ever T & C and she loves it. Her's is like new 2012 and she is loving it!

Now, I am getting so ready to sell our van to get me another T & C! I loved the comfort and room. My husband says it is the best van on the road. He knows a very good mechanic.

We own a Dodge Grand Caravan which is the same as a T&C (but without the same price tag). We have three across the back row, and it is narrow. I don't know if all vans are as narrow, but you may want to check out the width of the back seats in what you are purchasing.

For comparison, I believe our Caravan's backseat is the same width as dh's Ford Focus.

We just (last month) got a 2013 Grand Caravan (same as T&C without all the options). So far I really like it. I had a Ford Freestar that I hated to give up, and the Caravan is not disappointing me like I expected (I don't like change). The kids really like having the captain's chairs in the second row, because it's easier for them to get to the 3rd row. We've used the stow&go seats already to create more space on a trip. There's a ton of storage and "secret compartments" which is one thing I most appreciated about the Freestar and looked for in the replacement. It gets good mileage (as good as a minivan can).

We have a 2012 T&C. I really like it, but I find all the electronics a little quirky. Things like having to be in park AND unlock the doors so the rear passengers can get out. There are a ton of automated features (it took me FOREVER to remember how to operate simple things like wipers and temperature control) We also have an issue with one of the sliding doors loosening up and rattling. (we have had it fixed once already, and it is doing it again)

I worry about how MUCH of the van is computerized. More to break. All the gadgets are neat, and I like them, but there is a small amount of comfort in simple mechanics :lol:

That said, I really, really like my van. I can haul around tons of kids and their junk.

I love our T&C. It think it's a 2008. We also have a Ford Windstar, but I always want to drive the T&C. (My husband will only buy American cars in order to support the car industry here.) It rides very smoothly and has had very few problems. I love how you can fold down the seats into the floor and have an instant moving van!

The one complaint I have is that we need to constantly check the oil. It doesn't leak, it just seems to burn off somewhere. It usually requires a quart every 2,000 - 2,500 miles or so. It has been this way almost from the start, and no one can explain it. Auto repair places tell me that they've had lots of T&C's with the same problem. However, I will say that since we've been getting the oil changed at the dealership -- where they apparently put detergent in the oil -- the problem has decreased.

We have a 2012 T&C. I really like it, but I find all the electronics a little quirky. Things like having to be in park AND unlock the doors so the rear passengers can get out.

I wonder if this is changed in the 2013s or different in the Caravan. One thing I like about the Caravan is that when you open one of the doors, they all unlock. Sometimes if dh or I went somewhere alone, we'd get home and forget to hit the button when we got out, and the next person to try to open a door would find that it's locked (we don't always carry our keys, especially if we're just running outside to get something).

I wonder if this is changed in the 2013s or different in the Caravan. One thing I like about the Caravan is that when you open one of the doors, they all unlock. Sometimes if dh or I went somewhere alone, we'd get home and forget to hit the button when we got out, and the next person to try to open a door would find that it's locked (we don't always carry our keys, especially if we're just running outside to get something).

I hope so. I have to click the unlock button FIVE times on my key fob to unlock the passenger side door :lol:

I hope so. I have to click the unlock button FIVE times on my key fob to unlock the passenger side door :lol:

That seems to be the case on the 2013 Caravan too. I haven't figured out the push-button unlocking yet. On my Ford, first click was driver's door, second was all the others. On the Dodge, it seems first click is driver's door, second is the sliding door on the left side, fourth is tailgate?

The part that I like is when you open the door from inside it unlocks all the others (guess I wasn't too clear in previous post).

I have a 2003 T&C and I love it. We have also rented the newer addition and I like it even more. We are over 100,000 and still going strong. The only single complaint we have it that all of the back seats have a backwars tilt that no one in our family particulary cares for. That is much better in the newer version. We would like to buy a second one of those as we only own one car but our 15 year old is turning 16 years old this Oct. and she would like a car that is a little bit hipper to drive when she needs to borrow the car.

We have a 2006 with 126k miles on it. Gus (the Bus) runs like a champ! The only issue we have ever had is with the brakes. Apparently it was a bad model year for brakes and we end up needing new brakes and rotors and sometimes calipers every 6 months...like clockwork. But other than that, it's been great! When my husband's 1996 Izuzu finally goes to the junk yard in the sky, he will drive Gus and we will purchase a newer model T & C..and name it Stan (the Van) ;)