Menu

What do you do when you need "babysitting" for older kids?

My kids are mostly responsible kids who can be left alone for an hour while I do some errands. But they are also kids who get into trouble if left bored for too long. There are times when I need to be kid free for whatever reason (because I have to focus on a project, because I'm exhausted and in pain, because I'm "batching" it while dh is away on business and I need some kid free time. . . ) I've found myself wishing that I could stick them into school for random days or hours just so that I would know that they were being productive and safe for a period of time, and I could be kid free. Obviously the school idea would't work. What do you do at times like this? Perhaps hearing what you do will shake some ideas loose for me.

Play date or a class might work for you. I'm not sure of the age of your children, so that affects my answer.

Are they old enough to be dropped off at a movie, bowling alley, roller skating rink, ect so you could get run an errand alone?

could they watch a movie at home while you take a bath,ect?

Do you have a family they could hang out with one afternoon a week? You could trade back and forth watching their kids?

Sign them up for a class at the local park or rec center. The YCMA often has parent night outs--you drop off the kids for the evening. The kids participate in fun activities while you have an evening off.

Edited by missmoe

My kids are 13 and 15 and quite used to doing independent school work for part of the day. They have to, since I work, and since me continuing to work was the condition for homeschooling. They are not bored, they are productive, and they are safe - we live in a good neighborhood.

At age ten, I would not have left my son alone for extended periods - but your 10 y/o has a 15 y/o sibling, so why can't the older one keep an eye on the 10y/o while they are both doing school work???

When my kids were younger and had to be by themselves, I let them watch a movie - a rare treat, kept them sitting and out of trouble.

Or do you need them out of the house? In that case, enroll them in an activity, a sport or choir, which will keep them away for two hours at a time. Or send each to a friend's house for the afternoon or even over night.

Edited by regentrude

Do you mean the 15yo too? Do you mean you want them out of the house while you stay home and you don't know how to accomplish that? What the heck is batching it? It's late, and I'm kind of confused.

When I want time alone, I stick a sign on my door and leave them with chores to keep them busy with promise of screen time when they are done. Somehow I don't think that's what you're looking for though.

I understand what you mean. My kids are really good kids, but in certain combinations at certain ages they seemed to get into more mischief than others if I was ever away longer than about an hour. Sometimes it meant just asking if one of them could go to a friend or relative's house for a while.

15 and 10? I leave them home alone. I take them to the mall for a movie and let them go get a meal before or after. That is usually good for about 3 hours. Leave them at the state park for a hike or bike ride and a picnic. Let them play video games. (This will keep my boy occupied for hours and hours!)

I had an older teen girl come and stay for the evening when dh and I went to dinner. I billed it as "older sister" time. She was from the high school youth group at our church, so dd knew her and so did we.

Is your 15yo not quite ready to be responsible for his younger sib? Every kid is different, so I get it if that's so. Mine were, thankfully, able to take care of each other at that age. Unfortunately, they are 10 and 8 years older than dd, so they are out of the house now; no more sibling babysitting...

I give my kids a list of things that they need to do while I'm out, and if they get them done, they are free to read, watch a movie or something, whatever. They can go out to the backyard. When I get home, I check their lists to be sure they did what they were supposed to do.

It sounds like some of the time you are home, though, and just need to get things done without interruption? I just tell my kids to leave me alone. ;) But a list would work for that too.

We don't have family around, nor (sad to say) close enough friends here we can drop the kids off for hours. So we've trained them to babysit themselves. ;)

A couple of answers to questions that I'm too tired to find and quote:

"Batching" it means being a "bachelor" while dh is gone on business for a week.

The 10 year old does some independent work but needs my actual instruction for a good deal of it. She has some learning issues that we are working through/with.

The 15 year old can and does 90% of his work independently. He would also happily spend all day and night on the computer. While that it tempting at times to exploit, it is actually a problem and something I'm trying to work with him on.

I appreciate all the ideas. I do many of them but because of exhaustion, I just needed some more spelled out for me. It helps to have a list to look at from time to time when my brain just shuts down on me.

I didn't have many options either Jean....

Ideas:

take the computer power cord (and the router one) with you :)

get a movie for them to watch, and popcorn/snacks

or watch a movie that goes with their school together while you rest

take one of them with you for errands

give each one a project (a paper, read several pages of a book) deadline when you get back

have them do an art project together (unless it will be all over the house)

guitar lessons? my ds practices a lot without the guitar plugged into the amp (thank goodness)

piano lessons (but then it won't be quiet and you get to hear a song hundreds of times)

I send them to an elderly relative's house....they can do some light weeding and vacuuming and then settle down to work....usually with whatever goodies to eat they can finagle out of my loving family.

If we didnt live close to family, I can think of several widows at church who love company from younger people...

You know, this triggered a new thought for me. I was thinking that my ILs were too old and frail to "entertain" my kids but if I my kids go specifically to help them, that would be a whole 'nother kettle of fish! Thank you so much for breaking me out of my brain fog.

My kids are mostly responsible kids who can be left alone for an hour while I do some errands. But they are also kids who get into trouble if left bored for too long. There are times when I need to be kid free for whatever reason (because I have to focus on a project, because I'm exhausted and in pain, because I'm "batching" it while dh is away on business and I need some kid free time. . . ) I've found myself wishing that I could stick them into school for random days or hours just so that I would know that they were being productive and safe for a period of time, and I could be kid free. Obviously the school idea would't work. What do you do at times like this? Perhaps hearing what you do will shake some ideas loose for me.

A responsible grad student? We get great sitters from the local nursing grad program.

we've had an older teen come, and a grandmotherly woman from church come. we started with them coming for a half day while i was home, so i could be distantly present and monitor how it went. then we progressed to me leaving the house for part of the time. we included other tasks, such as laundry and vacuuming, so the teens didn't "feel" watched. it was wonderful.

fwiw,

ann

This is going to sound horrible, but I always set my kids up with Netflix when I'm leaving for a few hours. This seems to keep them out of trouble. We rotate through T.V. shows or I give them a list of movies they can watch.

Sometimes if it's just the girls I make a list of things they can do. It's usually full of fun stuff that they don't get to do a whole lot so that will keep them out of trouble.

If I have to have someone watch them I will call a friend or my mom.