Menu

Pat Robertson does it AGAIN!

I know! But it is his show. It is sad when all of get old, so I like to give people the benefit of the doubt. Our time is coming when we might say stupid things.

Time for the kids to step in, kind of like when my Mom's car keys had to disappear.

I guess it is doubly-hard as I imagine he owns or controls not only his show, but the whole Christian Broadcasting Network. This must make it pretty difficult for underlings to speak truth to power. But it is clearly time for an intervention.

Bill

I know people keep mentioning his age, but did he really talk sense when he was younger? It's not like his views have changed over time. Maybe he is more comfortable expressing himself, or perhaps he no longer knows how to couch his craziness in acceptable terms, but I don't think he is saying anything different than when he was 30 or 40.

And while I don't hold him up as representative of Christians, he would fit right in with the conservatives of any number of religious and political groups. Patriarchy, anti-scientific thought, magical thinking, victim blaming, homophobia, aren't owned by any one group. He has lots of company around the world.

What an idiot. He really gives Christians a bad name. :mad:

We as the human race should vote him off the island.

yes...this (bolded) :iagree::iagree:

I live in the Bible belt and I can tell you Christians already have a bad name. This type of carp just makes it worse.

I know so many people who have been deeply wounded by 'christians' (lower case c definitely intended), some of the stories they tell bear little or no resemblance to Christ. I am sure the next time I speak to one of them I will hear how christians approve of wife-beating. sigh

I know people keep mentioning his age, but did he really talk sense when he was younger? It's not like his views have changed over time. Maybe he is more comfortable expressing himself, or perhaps he no longer knows how to couch his craziness in acceptable terms, but I don't think he is saying anything different than when he was 30 or 40.

And while I don't hold him up as representative of Christians, he would fit right in with the conservatives of any number of religious and political groups. Patriarchy, anti-scientific thought, magical thinking, victim blaming, homophobia, aren't owned by any one group. He has lots of company around the world.

:iagree:

I think the Muslim comment was intended to be a joke (in the poorest taste possible) but his serious comments were just as offensive. He proceeded to compare the woman to a rebellious child that doesn't submit to authority and compared her to a tantruming child and said the man needs to "stand up to her" and "put an end to" her misbehavior.

Ok, thanks. I didn't have a chance to see it yet. On its face, it does NOT say what was represented. That's extrapolation based on biases.

Fair enough. We really don't know. But agreed with all that Pat needs to stop talking on TV!

we do know. It's what he said. I don't understand how someone who did not see it can correct those of us who did watch it. He tells the guy (and the rest of us) that the husband should a) leave Christianity and b) join another religion for the sole purpose of being able to easily justify wife beating so that c) he can beat her. If he does not believe wife-beating is legal in Saudi Arabia, and adviseable in this case, why tell him to move there? For the refreshing desert air and yummy food?

Well I must say I don't think "joking" about the suffering of women in Saudi Arabia is very funny. Domestic violence is a serious issue.

I don't think it's funny anywhere, nor do I think proposing wife-beating as a solution to a "rebellious wife" is funny. At all. Domestic violence is a major problem in the US and American religious leaders should not encourage, or appear to encourage it.

Those looking to learn more about anti-violence efforts in Saudi Arabia might want to look at the National Family Security Program, at http://nfsp.org.sa/

Actually I thought she was trying to prod him to say he was joking, because she could see right away it was another headline-making Robertsonism. She was trying to prompt him to go back to the right path, but he wasn't budging and her role on the show is one of a subordinate woman. I would not describe her as a "co-host" at all. She knows her place and is trying to stay in her prescribed role, but it's getting harder and she knows it.

:iagree: I think she thought he was joking at first.

I think the Muslim comment was intended to be a joke (in the poorest taste possible) but his serious comments were just as offensive. He proceeded to compare the woman to a rebellious child that doesn't submit to authority and compared her to a tantruming child and said the man needs to "stand up to her" and "put an end to" her misbehavior.

:iagree: I've watched it now, and honestly, it was worse than I imagined from the comments here. Yes, there was the offensive joke, but the rest about her being "rebellious" was just kind of stomach-churning to me. I guess I don't hang around people who think of women as children who must obey, but I found that talk sickening.

:iagree: I've watched it now, and honestly, it was worse than I imagined from the comments here. Yes, there was the offensive joke, but the rest about her being "rebellious" was just kind of stomach-churning to me. I guess I don't hang around people who think of women as children who must obey, but I found that talk sickening.

Yes, I think a written transcript doesn't really convey the full story. There is so much more in the tone of voice and facial expression of both presenters. That may be one reason that, generally speaking, folks commenting here who have watched it have reacted more strongly than those who haven't.

The message really needed to be "bottom line, no one has the right to hit you", and that was nowhere in PR's answer.

Imagine how different the answer would be if it were given by the Hive.

Remember that a show like this is both answering the questions from/for specific viewers, and, more importantly, setting a general tone of how you should respond to various things for the viewers in general.

Actually I thought she was trying to prod him to say he was joking, because she could see right away it was another headline-making Robertsonism. She was trying to prompt him to go back to the right path, but he wasn't budging and her role on the show is one of a subordinate woman. I would not describe her as a "co-host" at all. She knows her place and is trying to stay in her prescribed role, but it's getting harder and she knows it.

:iagree: I didn't see her as laughing, more of a "you have to be kidding me" type of reaction and trying to get him to answer seriously. But I think he needs to just retire.

Well I must say I don't think "joking" about the suffering of women in Saudi Arabia is very funny. Domestic violence is a serious issue.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/3667349.stm

Pretty much the first thing that popped into my mind too. How can this even be thought of as something to make a joke about?

He might have intended it as a joke (or not, this is Pat Robertson after all), but it's not playing that way over here in Turkey (99.9% Muslim). It's being given as another example of how misguided Christians are and how they so completely don't understand Islam.

I wish he would just be quiet.

That's a problem. I'm sorry!

Yeah, not fun. I just love having to explain, yet again, that this bastion of Christianity is not representative of Christians as a whole.

Pretty much the first thing that popped into my mind too. How can this even be thought of as something to make a joke about?

Not to mention the additional problem of many Americans painting all Muslims with the same ignorant brush...no one needs help making that worse.

Honestly, seeing others downplay that aspect of what he said disturbs me far more than anything Pat himself said. I expect nonsense from him.

Does anyone remember the SNL newscast where Tina Fey would read a quote and the audience had to guess if the quote came from Pat R. or the crazy homeless man that hung out by the back door of the studio?

I got most of the answers wrong.

I cannot tell you how sorry I am to have missed that. Also, I great big puffy-heart Tina Fey.

Yes, I think a written transcript doesn't really convey the full story. There is so much more in the tone of voice and facial expression of both presenters.

You know, something has always irritated me about Pat Robertson. He says these outrageous things, while chuckling. That is how he always talks, and it gets on my nerves.

I was just going to post the same thing. I read some comments earlier but actually watching is way more creepy and disturbing. Wow. If the wife has any problem with authority, it's that she isn't obeying Christ's commands on how we are to treat each other, not that she isn't obeying her husband and being rebellious towards him. That was just so, so bizarre.

I was just going to post the same thing. I read some comments earlier but actually watching is way more creepy and disturbing. Wow. If the wife has any problem with authority, it's that she isn't obeying Christ's commands on how we are to treat each other, not that she isn't obeying her husband and being rebellious towards him. That was just so, so bizarre.

I think it's like any one-sided Dear Abby sort of thing. We don't know what she is really rebelling against. We only know his side. I don't see how something like that could be counseled so quickly and simply. The fact that she is rebelling against authority without questioning what the husband is like concerns me. It sounds too much like the "women obey regardless" stuff I despise.

My dh says often that I lack respect for him b/c of what I say. His idea of lacking respect though, is, I disagree with the way he feels about a business issue -- something regarding a customer, and b/c I don't agree with him, he gets angry, starts making ridiculous generalizations, calls me things like "liberal," reminds me he could be unfaithful but doesn't, and then accuses me of lacking respect.

Does anyone remember the SNL newscast where Tina Fey would read a quote and the audience had to guess if the quote came from Pat R. or the crazy homeless man that hung out by the back door of the studio?

I got most of the answers wrong.

I cannot tell you how sorry I am to have missed that. Also, I great big puffy-heart Tina Fey.

I had to go looking for that and found it! You can watch it here. :D

Pat Robertson is hardly the only American, Christian or not, with this sort of prejudice. His audience and host most certainly contain people who consider that an ok joke or even accurate statement. As we all know, American families are not immune to issues with domestic violence and spousal abuse. PR needs to retire but he is hardly the only person with this particular outgageous thinking (if it can be called thinking.)