Menu

Pat Robertson does it AGAIN!

Can someone give me a synopsis? I'm in the library and can't play a You Tube. :(

He suggested that a Christian man might consider converting to Islam and moving to Saudi Arabia, so he could beat his insubordinate wife with impunity.

This comment got big laughs from his co-host.

Bill

He suggested that a Christian man might consider converting to Islam and moving to Saudi Arabia, so he could beat his insubordinate wife with impunity.

Bill

exactly. What's HER deal? He is obviously senile but I can't believe that lady giggled over his horrid comment. :glare:

exactly. What's HER deal? He is obviously senile but I can't believe that lady giggled over his horrid comment. :glare:

Actually I thought she was trying to prod him to say he was joking, because she could see right away it was another headline-making Robertsonism. She was trying to prompt him to go back to the right path, but he wasn't budging and her role on the show is one of a subordinate woman. I would not describe her as a "co-host" at all. She knows her place and is trying to stay in her prescribed role, but it's getting harder and she knows it.

I don't know. Perhaps it was a nervous laugh, knowing what he said was outrageous? What can the people around Pat Robertson be thinking? They must be aware that his mental faculties and sense of judgement are failing.

Perhaps in an empire he built no one has the position to help him see that it is time to get off the air. But that would be the compassionate thing to do at this time. That's my thought anyway.

Bill

Actually I thought she was trying to prod him to say he was joking, because she could see right away it was another headline-making Robertsonism. She was trying to prompt him to go back to the right path, but he wasn't budging and her role on the show is one of a subordinate woman. I would not describe her as a "co-host" at all. She knows her place and is trying to stay in her prescribed role, but it's getting harder and she knows it.

Yes, I think you are right.

Bill

:iagree:

Did anyone watch the same clip as me?

It's said as a joke. The man who writes in is being beaten by his wife. But it is clear that Pat's first statement and last statement is a joke.

He's reluctant to say it, but he suggests, gasp, counseling.

If by a "joke" one isn't to believe that Pat Robertson was sincere that he felt the man should move to Saudi Arabia, then yes, it was a "joke" in that sense.

What was not a joke (to my ears) was his belief that the "rebellious" woman in question should have been beaten by her father in her youth, and should probably be beaten by the husband now.

He makes a statement like we don't go for wife-beating these days, but one can hear a lament in his statement rather than approval. That message is no "joke."

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

well, when he continued on to say that the woman MUST have been a rebellious teen and SOMETHING needs to be done to get her under submission, I questioned whether or not he was joking.

For one thing......we are only heard ONE side of the story. The man might be a real turd and deserve being brought down a notch. For another, Robertson seems to have forgotten the "Love your wives as Christ loved the church" portion of scripture.

My parents LIKE Pat Robertson and quote him often. Let's just say I am not looking forward to their visit next month.

I'm not watching the clip. Surely he was joking! :scared:

I'm extremely conservative in theory, at least, and I think he was joking? Ok, I hope he was joking. What he said... was a joke! It may very well be that she never learned to talk through problems with her Mom and Dad. It may be that the husband never was shown a good example of how to treat his mom and future wife.

It may be that the man needs to go to counseling to see how he needs to work out problems with his wife (and others) so that his wife will be inclined to work through problems with him. His wife may very well feel that talking through problems with a (bully) husband will come to no good conclusion. Perhaps she's been awake for 18hrs with her 8 children and can't think straight.

Maybe he should treat her above himself and offer her a night on her own... a great dinner with no expectations... and some special treat for her :)

I tire of it being the wife's fault. :(

I guess I seriously wonder about a man who would consider his wife "rebellious". What kind of advice was he looking for except something of the punitive nature? Really, maybe Pat Robertson was thinking that because the question was so bizarre, maybe he should answer in kind? (not that I don't think PR is offensive, but maybe this time he's just being as offensive as the questioner).

The man who writes in is being beaten by his wife.

The man might be a real turd and deserve being brought down a notch.

:001_huh: Would you say it's okay for a man to beat his wife to bring her down a notch? Why in the world would it be okay for a wife to beat her husband? And yes, physical husband abuse does happen, but it's not talked about much because very few abused men want to admit it.

IMO, the comment was an elderly man's attempt at being sarcastic. Obviously he would never seriously intend for a Christian to convert to another religion just for the purpose of getting control over his family.

I think his comments regarding how the wife "must" have been when she was young were a huge assumption. And that is one of the reasons why I am not a PR fan. As I understood it, his actual response was to get the physically abusive wife into counseling. If taken alone, separate from his unfounded speculation, that isn't such bad advice.

Unfortunately, I think some here have shown a similar tendency to jump to assumptions about people, such as the motivation of the woman co-host on the PR show. Do any of you know her personally? How do you know what she considers her place to be? Jumping to conclusions is ugly and annoying regardless of who is doing the jumping or which way they jump.

At a particularly volatile point in my life, within the space of one week I had one person tell someone that they thought I was a religious doormat for my husband and another complain to someone that my poor dh must suffer terribly, since I was obviously the one who was "wearing the pants" in our family.:glare: Guess what, folks, neither one of them knew what was actually going on and both were ridiculously wrong.

A man wrote in asking for advice about his "rebellious" wife. pat says the man should become a Muslim and move to Saudi Arabia so he can beat her.

I can't watch it right now either, but come ON...he had to be kidding.

Tasteless and awful, but what Christian leader would ever say this at all, much less seriously.

Pat is old. Very old. Someone should restrict him to light, fluffy stories, if anything.

What was not a joke (to my ears) was his belief that the "rebellious" woman in question should have been beaten by her father in her youth, and should probably be beaten by the husband now.

He makes a statement like we don't go for wife-beating these days, but one can hear a lament in his statement rather than approval.

Did he SAY any of this? I'm seriously doubting it. Sounds like your imaginative extrapolation to me, based upon the multitude of posts in this vein you have posted.

A man wrote in asking for advice about his "rebellious" wife. pat says the man should become a Muslim and move to Saudi Arabia so he can beat her.

And he was serious? Wow, he really does give Christians a bad name. You'd think someone would have the good sense to take him off the air. Has he been diagnosed with a medical condition that weirds him out or has he been this bad forever?

Did he SAY any of this? I'm seriously doubting it. Sounds like your imaginative extrapolation to me, based upon the multitude of posts in this vein you have posted.

What he does say is, "She does not understand authority. When she was growing up nobody made her behave. Now you've got a 13 yo in a 30 yo woman's body. And she is acting like a child. Now, what do you do with that?"

Knowing the background of conservative/fundamentalist Christians, what that means to me is, 1. She was not spanked as a child, and 2. her husband is her authority and she ought to "behave".

I see Bill's interpretation as an exaggeration (IMO), but he's not out in left field, either.

He says:

"This man has to stand up to her. He can't let her get way with this stuff...I don't know...[shakes head] I don't think we condone wife-beating these days, but something has to be done to make her...[interrupted by co-host is obviously looking to save him from himself who interjects "not physically"] before diverting Robertson away from this line of argument, and on to an attack on the character of the women that he has never met.

It is pretty clear, in context, that Roberson believes that respect for authority (that is to say, male authority) should be instilled in women/girls at a young age, and that when there isn't a firm hand in youth that maybe it is necessary in adulthood.

Bill

I also think he was trying to show the difference b/t the two cultures (from his viewpoint) but he just doesn't have a filter.

Oh yeah, because domestic violence doesn't exist in the US or among Christians.

Besides which, even as a joke to say the husband should convert to another religion, casts doubt on his ability to apply his brand of religion to those in need. Clearly Pat needs to be retired.

I think it was a lame joke but do agree that he needs to retire. In terms of the man writing beating his wife, that would then just be mutual combat since he was writing in talking about how his wife beats him. I have to assume the people saying how he should be a better husband didn't really listen to the clip. You can't really be saying that the way to stop being abused is to be a better spouse, can you???

Princess Peach: What he does say is, "She does not understand authority. When she was growing up nobody made her behave. Now you've got a 13 yo in a 30 yo woman's body. And she is acting like a child. Now, what do you do with that?"

Ok, thanks. I didn't have a chance to see it yet. On its face, it does NOT say what was represented. That's extrapolation based on biases.

Knowing the background of conservative/fundamentalist Christians, what that means to me is, 1. She was not spanked as a child, and 2. her husband is her authority and she ought to "behave".

Possibly. Remember, Pat is elderly. It does not follow that her husband should "beat" her now. Or that her parents should have "beaten" her (loaded word, from the anti-spanking zealots).

I see Bill's interpretation as an exaggeration (IMO), but he's not out in left field, either.

Fair enough. We really don't know. But agreed with all that Pat needs to stop talking on TV!

Spy Car: He says:

"This man has to stand up to her. He can't let her get way with this stuff...I don't know...[shakes head] I don't think we condone wife-beating these days, but something has to be done to make her...[interrupted by co-host is obviously looking to save him from himself who interjects "not physically"] before diverting Robertson away from this line of argument, and on to an attack on the character of the women that he has never met.

That's a bit different then, isn't it? Whoever the man is should not let his wife be abusive to him either, if she is. It goes both ways.

It is pretty clear, in context, that Roberson believes that respect for authority (that is to say, male authority) should be instilled in women/girls at a young age,

Of course he does. He's like 90 years old. In his day, it was automatic. Even today, respect for authority/elders should be instilled in ALL young people, regardless of gender. And believe me, it isn't. I had a young man tell me to F myself on a forum I frequent. Yeah...that's how you handle a philosophical agreement. He knew I'm old enough to be his grandmother and he didn't give a rip. I saw this behavior regularly in my daughter's high school too before we moved her.

That's just not cool, no matter who you are, and no matter what generation.

and that when there isn't a firm hand in youth that maybe it is necessary in adulthood.

That's your extrapolation there. PAt Robertson SAID we don't condone wifebeating himself. I think it is a stretch to say he was confused on that matter. If so, someone ought to be living with he and his wife.

He might have intended it as a joke (or not, this is Pat Robertson after all), but it's not playing that way over here in Turkey (99.9% Muslim). It's being given as another example of how misguided Christians are and how they so completely don't understand Islam.

I wish he would just be quiet.

He says:

It is pretty clear, in context, that Roberson believes that respect for authority (that is to say, male authority) should be instilled in women/girls at a young age, and that when there isn't a firm hand in youth that maybe it is necessary in adulthood.

Bill

I watched the video and I'm agreeing with Spycar on this.

Faith

It sounds like it was more of an "OH NO!, Not again with the stupid comments" nervous laugh.

It think you are right. She also jumped in to try stop him from saying he thought the way to get her to respect the man's authority was to beat the woman.

The people around Pat Roberson must understand that he is embarrassing himself. On his website home-page the staff has a whole list of "clarifications" of the outrageous comments he has made of late. They know. Everyone knows.

I sincerely hope no one confuses Mr Robertson's opinions—which from the outside seem to be evidence of senility or other mental decline, and are sad to see happen to anyone—with Christian mainstream thought. I think most people understand his is a sad case.

He really should not be on the air.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

It think you are right. She also jumped in to try stop him from saying he thought the way to get her to respect the man's authority was to beat the woman.

The people around Pat Roberson must understand that he is embarrassing himself. On his wensite home-page the staff has a whole list of "clarifications" of the outrageous comments he has made of late. They know. Everyone knows.

I sincerely hope no one confuses Mr Robertson's opinions—which from the outside seem to be evidence of senility or other mental decline, and are sad to see happen to anyone—with Christian mainstream thought. I think most people understand his is a sad case.

He really should not be on the air.

Bill

I know! But it is his show. It is sad when all of get old, so I like to give people the benefit of the doubt. Our time is coming when we might say stupid things.

Time for the kids to step in, kind of like when my Mom's car keys had to disappear.

He might have intended it as a joke (or not, this is Pat Robertson after all), but it's not playing that way over here in Turkey (99.9% Muslim). It's being given as another example of how misguided Christians are and how they so completely don't understand Islam.

I wish he would just be quiet.

That's a problem. I'm sorry!