Menu

Does anyone recall the mid-90's as a bad era for movies?

mirth

Which movie was the worst?  

1. 1. Which movie was the worst?

• Bridges of Madison County ('95)
    • English Patient ('96)
    • Titanic ('97)
    • Other

It was rough. Internet had not taken off yet and I remember movies like Bridges of Madison County ('95), English Patient ('96), Titanic ('97) which make me just want fall over from boredom. So here is a poll ... which one was the most boring? Or if you fell asleep through one or more, which one do you think would've been the most boring??

It was a good era to spend a lot of time outside or reading.

Bridges of Madison County - blech and blech again.

I would also not have put The English Patient in the same category. It wasn't my favorite film, but c'mon...Ralph Fiennes pretty well elevates the whole flick.;)

Let's not forget some of the truly good movies of the 90's:

Forrest Gump ('94)

The Hunt for Red October ('90 - okay, that's early)

Jurassic Park ('93)

The Matrix ('99 - later)

Saving Private Ryan ('98)

The Shawshank Redemption ('94)

The Sixth Sense ('99)

Silence of the Lambs ('91)

And one of my personal favorites - Happy Gilmore (1996 - ok, ok, purely stupid but I laugh out every! time! I see it!

ETA

Okay, here are some more from mid-decade:

Four Weddings and a Funeral ('94)

Don Juan DeMarco ('94)

Mr. Holland's Opus ('95)

Fargo ('96)

Jerry Maguire ('96)

Twister ('96)

Sling Blade ('96)

The Ghost and the Darkness ('96)

Good Will Hunting ('97)

Life Is Beautiful ('97)

Edited by Seasider

I remember the mid-90's as when there were a LOT of overhyped movies. Things that were not bad movies, but SOOOOOOO did not deserve all the accolades they received. The English Patient. Forrest Gump. Remains of the Day. Philadelphia.

Yes ... the infernal professional gushing and how [boring film usually about adultery] touches the human heart ... blah, blah.

Edited by mirth

I was a teen, and I remember thinking afterwards how there weren't many teen movies. The 80s had soooo many teen movies, and then when I was in college they started coming out again. But there was definitely a hole in teen cinema right when I was the appropriate age for it. I think it was a period where giant blockbusters were being made, and not many cheapo B movie types aimed at teenagers.

ETA: I may be thinking more about the early 90s. I was in college by the time Titanic came out, and that was a popular teenage movie. But it was also a giant super expensive blockbuster. I'm talking more about the Molly Ringwald/Julia Styles kinds of high school movies. We had Clueless, but that's about it.

You all were watching the wrong movies in the 90s! There were so many that I liked.

Pulp Fiction

True Romance

Goodfellas

Reservoir Dogs

Groundhog Day

Terminator 2

Usual Suspects

Schindler's List

L.A. Confidential

Hmm. I guess I go for the more violent films. :tongue_smilie:

Refused to watch Bridges of Madison County. HATED Titanic and won't ever watch it again. A whole story about Rose and what's his name when there were people being locked into steerage to drown? I sobbed through that whole sequence. I mean sobbed so that the usher came in with some tissues for me. People were concerned. I was 17 and really, really embarrassed, but those poor people.

My friend and I had never heard of The English Patient, but we wanted a movie to see that night so we decided to try it. Around hour 36 we left. Good night, what a long, boring movie!

You all were watching the wrong movies in the 90s! There were so many that I liked.

Pulp Fiction

True Romance

Goodfellas

Reservoir Dogs

Groundhog Day

Terminator 2

Usual Suspects

Schindler's List

L.A. Confidential

Hmm. I guess I go for the more violent films. :tongue_smilie:

I love L.A. Confidential! Goodfellas was great too. Something about Tarantino rubs me the wrong way though, I always feel like he is convinced that he is super-cool.

Others I really liked:

Dead Man Walking

The Piano

Being John Malkovitch

The Fisher King

Farewell My Concubine

Shadowlands