Menu

How to break this cycle? SN kids

Ds and I are stuck in a major aggressive, tantruming spot. EVERYTHING currently sucks. Staying in, going out, reading, park, school, bath, bed, play, etc. All day everyday is negative. I can't remove myself because dd will become his target.

His bike (both found a mile away by our garbage company. Thank you for head smack on that whole thing. ) is locked in the shed. He does NOTHING right now without my supervision.

When you and your sn kiddo (or just emotional, reactive kiddo, doesnt have to be sn) is stuck, what do you do to get out of it?

:glare: :boxing_smiley: :willy_nilly: :cursing: :crying:

:grouphug:

Cry, pray, and wait? I'm no help, but I've certainly been there. During our last cycle, it was bad enough that though I'd vowed I'd never medicate, I called to get him in to see the developmental pediatrician's office to discuss it. The one we saw moved and because of that, we were placed at the bottom of the waiting list. We still haven't received a call to schedule an appointment six months later. Things were better for a while, but I can tell he's starting to enter another cycle.

Dd grabs my face and tells me that ds is always mean, but he's never THIS mean. Is ds allowed to have regular mac & cheese or fruit punch? (i say no). She asks why. I say because he can't have food coloring. She holds up a can of his dearly loved strawberry pediasure, and says "then why are you letting him have five of these every day!? FIVE, mom! FIVE CANS OF FOOD COLORING!!!"

Dd thinks this cycle increased with the delivery of his pediasure. Dr only prescribed 2x a day, but ds still has 5 which means he does not have enough for the month. We get a couple weeks of his behavior calming a bit, then the pediasure is delivered again.

I really, really, really hope he has extended rages with food coloring. His pediasure is already in the car and it's going to a friend with a tiny 5 year old who loves it.

I do not want to medicate him. :(

So you never noticed it had the food coloring in it? I mean if he has been drinking it forever and something is drastically different all of the sudden I don't know that I would blame it on the drink.

Ok, I see you mean he drinks it all quickly and then when you are out his behaviour calms. I don't really have anything to add.

When you and your sn kiddo (or just emotional, reactive kiddo, doesnt have to be sn) is stuck, what do you do to get out of it?

None of the punitive things worked with my emotional, reactive kid.

What I did that actually worked: Spend a lot of extra time with him, cuddle, read books, bake cookies, ignore the negative emotional reaction, and just be matter of fact with those things that you can't compromise on.

It's hard to get started being positive and lovey with a prickly porcupine kid like that, especially when they're acting like a twit and you just want to lash out your own frustration. But it works to change my attitude and his.

Dd grabs my face and tells me that ds is always mean, but he's never THIS mean. Is ds allowed to have regular mac & cheese or fruit punch? (i say no). She asks why. I say because he can't have food coloring. She holds up a can of his dearly loved strawberry pediasure, and says "then why are you letting him have five of these every day!? FIVE, mom! FIVE CANS OF FOOD COLORING!!!"

Dd thinks this cycle increased with the delivery of his pediasure. Dr only prescribed 2x a day, but ds still has 5 which means he does not have enough for the month. We get a couple weeks of his behavior calming a bit, then the pediasure is delivered again.

I really, really, really hope he has extended rages with food coloring. His pediasure is already in the car and it's going to a friend with a tiny 5 year old who loves it.

I think your dd is extremely bright to have caught that. For a kid that reacts negatively to everything the key is to do the opposite of what you want to do. In those moments you want to create space, time out etc, the reality is those are the moments to cling tighter. In a healthy, good way, not a your grounded until you're 80 way. How much say/control does he have over his day? I don't mean just you can have a or b, but actual and real control over something? Clearly he needs the constant supervision, but that can be gained with him chosing activities, or being given a task he can control. Such as going through the cookbooks to pick a meal/dessert etc and then preparing it. If school is a huge hassle what is it exactly that he is reacting to? School obviously must be done, and kids should not get to determine everything studied, but does he have any say in how a topic is done? What is his learning style? The biggest thing I have found to help sounds so easy but really is the hardest thing, is simply keeping them closer in a positive way. Telling them how excited and happy you are to be in their company. Making sure they know we still like them. All kids know as parents we love them. But with really difficult kids, it is sometimes very hard to like them and they pick up on it and act out more and it really becomes a cycle. Add in food sensitivities, your hormonal cycles, moon phases etc and you have these ebbs and flows, but through it all is the undercurrent of their unhappiness and your dislike of it, which they translate to be a dislike of them.

Any chance he would drink the banana or vanilla pediasure instead? The strawberry, berry, and chocolate all have red #3 listed. I know this is your tough-to-feed kid, so apologies if this isn't helpful.

:grouphug: When my tough kid gets into a negative cycle, I just hate being around him. But that really is the time he needs more, not less. For my kid, he is all about people doing things for him - that's what he interprets as love. And it's tough to want to do ANYTHING for that rotten bugger when he is on a downer trip.....but that's usually what it takes to break the cycle here. YMMV of course, and you might have to wait for him to come down off the red-dye-high before anything will work.

So you never noticed it had the food coloring in it? I mean if he has been drinking it forever and something is drastically different all of the sudden I don't know that I would blame it on the drink.

Ok, I see you mean he drinks it all quickly and then when you are out his behaviour calms. I don't really have anything to add.

I knew it had food coloring in it, but i didnt truly believe (still really dont) that food coloring could cause such rages. He has always had rages, but cycles better and worse. He has been on and off of pediasure since he was very little.

I am going to give it a fair trial. Not a drop of food coloring and work on everything. When life is in order and calmer, i will have someone sneak food coloring into something and we'll see what happens.

I will try to pull him closer right now.

Food coloring does indeed cause rages in my 7 yo and used to in my 18 year old.

Give it a few days and see if anything improves. Another thought is the change of season. We have sleep challenges each and every autumn. Sigh. It stinks cause I'm all excited about the new school year but exhausted each morning from being woken up repeatedly...

I would multiquote, but responding on the phone is a pain.

I think i will cook something with him tomorrow, as much as i dread even thinking of stepping foot in a store with him right now.

The one thing i have always done is read to him, even on the worst of days. I will let him start drum lessons this week, too. He really likes the drummer (multicolored mowhak, whats not to like! Lol).

School; it all annoys him right now. I'll give it some time before changing anything.

I dont know how to increase his choices. All he wants to do is go to the park, but then he's terrible while we're there. He gets to choose bath or shower, breakfast and lunch, what to wear. Is it possible he has too much control? I ran to the store quickly a few times this weekend for food, but have not been able to go food shopping in weeks.

I can say for sure that he's crashed since the fair. Either something changed (like food) or maybe it was way too much responsibility for him/them and we just need more time to recover. The fair was the first week of august, so i'd expect recovery. Pediasure did start the week after the fair.

I think the level of responsibility was WAY too much during the fair week for both kids.

I do not believe that what you are listing is too much control. I think that is actually very little control over all but given the issues with supervision it is hard to give more.

What about responsibilities? What does that look like for him outside of the week you worked at the fair?

OK, I am so confused. He only needs two? Then why are you giving him 5 to begin with? Why can't he go to his room when he acts all crazy? I don't wanna sound mean but I had the 7 year old who ran the house. He ruined everything and it took aome major cracking down to get him to behave and I mean major. Before I get blasted yes he is special needs so please don't tell me I don't know what it is like.

He has massive ADHD and tourettes as well as OCD issues.

The only chore he does is put away the silverware. I backed off the bathroom cleaning for cursing because he was hitting dd more and i figure cursing is lower on the safety scale than cursing. Hiwever, he's now cursing and hitting!

The other change is that when he freaks, i've been sending him to his bed, or his room now that he has one, instead of restraining him. When he raged in the past, i'd hold him (in a way that i do not get hurt, so it doesnt look very nice), but his "team" thinks we made progress when i stopped restraining. I think now that maybe it helped him get under control enough that he didnt have a rage every 30 seconds like he is now. I'm actually looking into classes (probably martial arts) to learn how to restrain him as he gets bigger. He's almost 60lbs now and very tall.

Recently i've had random people giving me ways to "fix" him, but they only have 3 options; medicate, church, or hard labor (i do agree with the third a bit).

The only chore he does is put away the silverware. I backed off the bathroom cleaning for cursing because he was hitting dd more and i figure cursing is lower on the safety scale than cursing. Hiwever, he's now cursing and hitting!

The other change is that when he freaks, i've been sending him to his bed, or his room now that he has one, instead of restraining him. When he raged in the past, i'd hold him (in a way that i do not get hurt, so it doesnt look very nice), but his "team" thinks we made progress when i stopped restraining. I think now that maybe it helped him get under control enough that he didnt have a rage every 30 seconds like he is now. I'm actually looking into classes (probably martial arts) to learn how to restrain him as he gets bigger. He's almost 60lbs now and very tall.

Recently i've had random people giving me ways to "fix" him, but they only have 3 options; medicate, church, or hard labor (i do agree with the third a bit).

What exactly are his special needs? (Sorry if you've talked about this in other posts already)

Guest submarines
I knew it had food coloring in it, but i didnt truly believe (still really dont) that food coloring could cause such rages. He has always had rages, but cycles better and worse. He has been on and off of pediasure since he was very little.

I am going to give it a fair trial. Not a drop of food coloring and work on everything. When life is in order and calmer, i will have someone sneak food coloring into something and we'll see what happens.

I will try to pull him closer right now.

Food coloring and the sugar. Five cans a day? I'm afraid to think how much sugar he gets on those days.

In terms of getting out of the cycle of negativity, I find that extreme bonding works the best. It is the hardest, because when they get like this, it is normal not to want to be with them and to distance yourself. DD is very sensitive and used to cycle this way. I started each day with meditating on having enough patience to be there for her, 100%, and focused on just rebuilding the connection. :grouphug:

Medication helps my child like himself again. So it's not about what I want, because I don't like the side effects, it's about him being able to live and thrive. Whatever everyone else is trapped living with, the child with the SN is trapped with on the inside- 24 hours a day.

I have also cut out artificial colors and flavors. I'm not sure if they were the problem or the sugar imbalance. We do lots of proteins here and try to offer something to eat every 2-3 hours.

He has always had feeding problems. When he doesnt eat, he truly does not eat. The 5 cans a day is for the 1200 calories and the minimum to keep him from losing weight. His current dr put down every possible liquid diet and i just cant afford to pay out of pocket. A wonderful board member here sent us a can of elecare, but he would only take 4oz at a time. Pediasure has always been the fall back, or bright beginnings pediatric drink when hecwas dairy allergic. He also needs very frequent protein, but i have no idea how to get it in him consistently.

The only diagnosis that seems to hold up across the board is PDD-NOS. But he's also been diagnosed mood disorder-nos, severely autistic, not autistic at all, autistic like, autistic characterists, adhd, not adhd, bipolar, boy, language delays, sensory processing disorder.....

Most of this will be worked out next month (like it was supposed to last year, and earlier this year). He's going to the autism research center. He has an entire day of evaluations. If he's diagnosed by them with autism, he'll get an MRI and fMRI. The fMRI could confirm my never-ending thought/theory of self-inflicted mild brain damage (ok, it cant prove the self inflicted part).

He also has asthma and reflux.

So no punishing, cuddle more, do more together.

I will have to start crocheting again with dd in the evening, because ds is going to push her away more. :( I hate that dd is always stuck in the middle of this, but she does play a large, antagonistic role as well. I know she loves him, but sometimes i think she doesnt know how to act around him when he's in a good mood.

You said no punishing him. What is the reason for this? I have never heard of a situation where you would not discipline a child. It seems to me that if he has no discipline no matter what sn the child has it would only make the child worse.

You have a few posts, and don't know her story well. In her situation, with her type of child, punishment is the LAST thing you want to do.

Many times, punishment only exacerbates the problem.

Punishment and discipline are not the same. Discipline means to teach.

If i continue to punish him, he will spend weeks cleaning our bathrooms, sitting in his empty room, never riding his bike, never listening to music or playing with his toys.

Since i want to break our current negative cycle, i'm going to agree with all posters that say to back off the punishments.

You have a few posts, and don't know her story well. In her situation, with her type of child, punishment is the LAST thing you want to do.

Many times, punishment only exacerbates the problem.

:iagree:Using positive discipline methods rather than punitive punishments combined with rebuilding the relationship is the hardest and yet best way to work/raise kids with these issues.

I could never give my dd one pediasure, or anything remotely like it, and expect her to have a good day. I am shocked your doctor didn't see this coming.

We medicated for a while a now we control things with food and routines.

When she has junk, like at a birthday party, or if she stays up one second past 8:30, I have to keep the day very low key. It has to be quiet, predictable, calm, and she needs lots of alone time. If not, we have a full day of meltdowns and tantrums.

I mean this is the nicest way, but if you can't get the food thing figured out for him, you might want to just try meds, for his benefit. Being angry and out of control every day isn't good for anyone, but especially for him. We medicated for about 18 months and while I'm glad we are off, it helped her do much when we were in crisis mode. She was so grateful and she was able to learn appropriate behaviors and how to self-regulate. (And, fwiw, it took me years to figure out that punishments do.not.work. for this kid! They don't connect consequences to behavior the way neirotypical kids do and that's hard for other parents to grasp. Our kids rely much heavier on routines and consistency and explicit directions.)

Good luck. I hope you get some answers from the testing. That sounds intense.

We were supposed to go to the feeding clinic last year, but charity care keeps losing his paperwork!

Neocate makes an amino acid "cereal" (it resembles baby cereal when muxed with a bit of water) that ds loves, but his dr said even THAT is junk. This all reminds me, the nutritionist wants to see him and we'll find a decent supplement.

Alone time is huge for him. He just discovered my ipod and has been retreating to his room with these gigantic headphones and listens to music. Just tonight he had me make a sleep playlist for him. My father is getting him an ipod shuffle for his birthday next month. Hey! I should try bringing the ipod food shopping!

You guys have all given me some great ideas! Thank you. Tomorrow is another day... Where his therapist will be here insisting i punish away the bad :( i forgot she was coming tomorrow. Oh well. At least part of tomorrow is getting rid of half the services.

On the services- his new TSS had the nerve to try and say that his booger picking and eating was defiance! Hecwas only doing it because it made her sick to her stomach. Yep, that's why he's eaten his boogers his entire life; to make a TSS, that he didnt meet until almost 8 years old, sick to her stomach.

Boogers- the stop bite on his nails is really helping because he cant put his fingers in his mouth, so hes finally much more aware when he does it. The amount of time he spends rinsing his mouth tells me that he really was clueless about how often he did it.

Stop bite- We put the stop bite on in the morning and before bed, and hes not fighting me, nor do i get yelled at when he sticks a finger in his mouth. The stop bite MUST be used; hes destroying his lower gums by biting his nails. Its sad to see him rinse his mouth every time a finger crosses his lips, but putting dirty fingers into a mouth with an open sore because of said fingers, must be stopped.

Ugg, it sounds like your 'help' isnt very helpful. Kids dont act like this because their mother doesnt discipline them enough. They act like this because there is physically something wrong. ALWAYS. Almost all behavioral problems are being traced back to inflammation in the brain - tho most doctors and therapists are too busy to keep up with the news.

My son, i used to have to sit on him when he was 4, to try to get him to stop biting me when I had only tried to get him to stop hitting his older brother. Taking out all food dyes and additives helped. Removing all dairy and gluten also helped.

if he has reflux and is small there is a really good chance he is sensitive to gluten, and kids dont usually really outgrow dairy sensitivities, they just change the way they demonstrate it . . .like rages instead of vomiting.

Your son is totally out of control of himself and he is suffering. I agree that you have to be on his side, because no one else in the world will. I have two challenging boys, and I try to help them learn to cope with their feelings - i dont just punish. The younger one did get more time outs, but he actually needed the alone time to calm down. the older one needed closeness to calm down.

I did very minimal schooling with my younger (more stubborn) one. we did time4learning for almost 2 years, because he would do it without fighting. We read murderous maths books because he liked them. He was ok with handwriting. For history, i read books to him. Just last year in 3rd grade, we did 2nd grade LA workbook - language smarts - which has very little writing, because writing was hard for him

he is finally maturing and reading well enough that I really hope to work on writing and spelling for the first time.

oh, also, often when he is being bad now - if i ask if he has a headache, he says YES! he isnt able to express how bad he feels except by being beastly.

good luck getting some help with your child. I am glad you will pay more attention to the food dye, but also consider a 2 week trial off of gluten to see if it helps. The combinations of symptoms - i would be surprised if gluten wasnt part of the problem. it can really make a difference behaviorally. My anxiety dropped a lot when I went off gluten

I knew the therapist was going to think opposite of me :(

She thinks he needs increased punishment, increased time outs, ext. Basically isolate him. I know he needs some time outs, but not in a punishing way. Just to cool down. She also thinks the punishments/consequences should continue even after he apologizes because she sees him as only manipulating and controlling. I'm also being told to completely take away the park for days for certain behaviors. He has to earn the park, so how can i take it away?

Dd is in her violin lesson and ds is playing wonderfully in the teacher's yard and on the swingset (teacher offered yard to ds). This is a great time out for him, he's not yelling at dd, and no one is sitting here telling me that i should not let him play because of this morning's behavior.

This was just a related vent. I'm tired. I was to lay down and cuddle with both kids, not push them away anymore.

You are the mom and you are the expert on your kids. Cuddle them!

is there any way to find a new therapist?

Our county is severely lacking services. Many of the therapists do not even have a behavioral background!

I reduced a stress by getting rid of the TSS services (tss is theraputic staff support) because we have had 5 of them in 2 years and only 2 were decent.

His first TSS (my favorite) is now with a different agency and in a position to help us find other services. Since she knows my ds and knows the current services and problems, i'm hopeful. She has also seen my ds react behaviorally during an asthma attack (this is very important for all who work with us).

Basically, no i cant yet get another therapist. If i go through our current agency, the new therapist will have all the old therapist's notes.

He is a bit more calm. He didn't rage yesterday when told no (he wanted his own container of cool whip). He did great during his drum lesson and practiced a bit at home. He started to get antsy just past bedtime, but willingly cleaned his room and plopped in bed with my ipod and headphones.

Today so far is decent. He's watching the second pirates of the caribbean (i found some educational value to it! Yay) on my bed. He's getting his hair cut in a little while.

I'm going to get him started back with some school work tomorrow after therapies. He does spelling in speech, handwriting in occupational therapy, and if i can get 2 math pages out of him i'll be happy.

I've been letting dd sleep in again so the interaction between them is much shorter. I also fired the TSS that insisted him picking his nose was defiant, and i am not replacing her. We're going TSS free for a while.

He also just hit 60lbs and no longer looks malnourished. This is probably due, at least in part, to the pediasure. I will be getting him to the nutritionist as soon as possible so we can find a better supplement.

Thank you all for the words of wisdom!

I agree with the others that if it is not food/diet related then medication would certainly be a good next step.......with a TOP NOTCH doctor prescribing and monitoring.

My own daughter went from raging, suicidal/homicidal, hallucinating, extremely ADHD, etc. to my easiest child once we found the proper medications. She has bipolar (your sons rages and major mood swings certainly could fit with this), ADHD, anxiety, autistic tendencies, and a host of medical issues.

We did try the dye free, dairy free, gluten free, sugar free, etc. and on and on diets with no luck here (although they did help a friend of mine's son) but medication made about a 90% difference and then we could work on the parenting for the other 10%

We have been through a lot with one of ours, too. I am on the phone, so keeping this short, but wanted to ask if he is on any type of medication for the asthma or allergies? My DS reacts behaviorally to asthma too, so keeping it controlled is essential but some of the meds caused rages.

Gluten and food dyes are big here. I was very resistant to those changes, and wish I'd done it sooner.

Totally agree about punishment - it just doesn't work the same way for some kids.

Oh, we also do a lot to try to reduce overall inflammation - supplements, etc.