Menu

Dogs and working outside the home

Dog experts, please help me work this out.

When we got our dog, I had no plans to work outside the home. Then the boys went to school. Then I took a part-time job three mornings a week (otherwise the village post office would have closed). Then Husband lost his job and I needed to be working more hours, so now I work 28 hours a week a half-hour commute away. Husband is going to be spending Monday-Friday each week in another city in order to look for work. The schedule (term-time) is:

Mon, Tues, Wed: leave home with boys at 8; take them to school then drive on to work. Work until 3:15. Pick up boys at 5:30 (after activities).

Thurs, Fri: leave home with boys at 8; take them to school then drive on to work. Work until 2:15. Pick up boys at 5:30 (after activities).

Our dog is a laid-back labradoodle. She doesn't need to pee very often (although she had her first ever urinary infection recently, so I'm aware of trying to give her more opportunities). The options are:

a) to take her to work with me (when the weather is temperate) and leave her in the car during the day. If I take her with me, I'll be able to walk her for five minutes before work, ten minutes at lunch time and then take her for a proper walk after work. I would have a water bowl in the car for her.

b) leave her at home in the kitchen from 8am and walk her at around 4pm (early in the week) or 3pm (later in the week). She can potter about the kitchen, sleep in her bed, eat and drink. There's no one local who would be willing to walk her during the day.

One day a week I'm likely to to have to run errands and she will be at home/in the car from 8am to 6pm. She can last that long without peeing, but I'm trying to work out what would be best for her.

Please don't tell me that people shouldn't have dogs if they work outside the home. This is the situation that we have arrived at and she is a much-loved member of the family.

Thank you

Laura

I would not leave your dog in the car. Even on temperate days, the car can heat up (yes even with the windows open and water available). I know you're not in the US, but if you were here and someone saw a dog in a car for that long, you'd have animal control called on you.

I know you said there is no one local who can walk the dog, but could you put an ad in the paper or look up pet sitters? I know there are services here that will walk your dog during the day for a fee. What about doggy daycare? Do you have that where you live? My SIL works and brings her dog there 2-3 times/week.

If those options don't work, leave the dog in the kitchen -- not the car.

Before my dad passed my parents dogs were home from about 7am until 4pm every day. They were always fine. I can easily leave my dogs home all day if we go on a field trip or something and the only thing I really have to worry about it making sure they get their exercise time after I get home.

I agree that I would certainly leave her in the kitchen not the car.

I would not leave your dog in the car. Even on temperate days, the car can heat up (yes even with the windows open and water available).

Scotland really is temperate, however. The mean annual temperature in Edinburgh (south of us) is 9 degrees centigrade.

One of the teachers at the boys' school leaves his dog in the car during the day. It's not socially unacceptable. I'm just trying to work out what's best for the dog.

Thanks for the input

Laura

It sounds weird, but get her to pee on some newspaper. Lay it outside and convince her to pee on it if you can. Lay the paper on top of cleaner stuff in a suitable spot. If she's likely to go in the house, she'll choose a spot that smells "right". If she does use it and you see her, praise her for it. Once properly trained, most dogs are very adverse to peeing/pooping indoors, so it might take a bit of re-training. It's better for her health to go more frequently.

Unfortunately, with those long hours, you'll need to give her the indoor option. If you can't get her to pee on newspaper get this:http://www.walmart.com/ip/Pet-Select-Pee-Pee-Pads-22-x-23-100ct-Dogs/3635614

I think she'll be fine in the kitchen. Agreed that while it's probably normally very cool where you live, all it takes is one warmer than average day to affect her health.

I don't think there's anything wrong with leaving a dog at home all day, as long as you're walking her before and after, and as long as she gets plenty of attention and playtime when you are home. Dogs in general are quite flexible and forgiving. And if she has the typical lab/retriever or poodle personality, she'll just be delighted to see you when you get home.

It's tough on us and our pets when life changes, but I think you'd be just fine to give this a try and see how it goes, especially since most days, you're looking at 7 or 8 hours... there are many many people who have dogs and leave them that long. Good luck.

B. Even if the car is not an issue due to temperature, there's simply more space in the house for her to move around.

We have working friends with dogs. The dogs are happy, healthy, and loved. They are walked in the morning, left in the house during the day, and walked in the evening with no issues. :)

Cat

I have a similar thing going. I leave later in the morning than you do but come home much later. My dog stays in his outside enclosure when the temps don't approach F 95, otherwise he stays in the laundry room (rather large) where he can walk around and snooze and has his toys.

I think he spends a lot of time snoozing (inside or outside) then when someone arrives (dh or I) he wakes up and we spend a lot of time outside with him in the evenings when it cools down and when we are home. Dogs are creatures of habit and seem to look forward to a certain time of companionship and don't mind waiting for their people to get home.

I would not keep a dog in the car even though your weather may allow this. I would think a car is far too confining. He would not be able to stand up, would he?

Is there a way you can allow the dog free access outside? Just thinking out loud here, but if you had a shaded shed or garage for them to go in with a bed and food and water, and they had access to outside for relief when needed, that would alleviate your concerns. I don't know if your property is fenced. That would be best, but failing that, you could get a dog run to attach to the shed or garage.

Scotland really is temperate, however. The mean annual temperature in Edinburgh (south of us) is 9 degrees centigrade.

One of the teachers at the boys' school leaves his dog in the car during the day. It's not socially unacceptable. I'm just trying to work out what's best for the dog.

Thanks for the input

Laura

Even so, kitchen over car. I don't know if you have dog fighting rings in Scotland, but it's a problem here. People will steal dogs out of yards and cars to use as bait dogs. I'd be concerned about that possibility as well.

When I worked BC (before children) we had 2 dogs. When they were younger, we crated them while we were gone, and if one of us could make it home at lunch to walk them, we would, but that didn't happen every day. When they matured, we let them roam the house. Things were usually just fine. Larger dogs like that can hold it for 8 hours.

Oh, and if your dog ends up with an upset tummy and can't hold it, would you rather that accident happen in your kitchen, or your car? ;)

I know you said there is no one local who can walk the dog, but could you put an ad in the paper or look up pet sitters? I know there are services here that will walk your dog during the day for a fee. What about doggy daycare? Do you have that where you live?

We are about to have to start supporting two homes while Husband job searches.

Thanks

Laura

I would not keep a dog in the car even though your weather may allow this. I would think a car is far too confining. He would not be able to stand up, would he?

I understand what you say about being too confined. In her case, she's about the size of a cocker spaniel, so she can walk around in the back of the car (hatchback).

The consensus seems to be that home would be best though.

Laura

Is there a way you can allow the dog free access outside? Just thinking out loud here, but if you had a shaded shed or garage for them to go in with a bed and food and water, and they had access to outside for relief when needed, that would alleviate your concerns. I don't know if your property is fenced. That would be best, but failing that, you could get a dog run to attach to the shed or garage.

It's fenced to six feet high and has a dog house inside it. The area of the run is about two metres by three. She'd be safe in there, but she'd bark. I think she doesn't like it. Although the nearest neighbour is 100 metres away, I still don't want her barking all day.

Laura

I understand what you say about being too confined. In her case, she's about the size of a cocker spaniel, so she can walk around in the back of the car (hatchback).

The consensus seems to be that home would be best though.

Laura

Ah, I always think big in terms of dog because mine is big. I still think at home where she is comfortable would be better. Just take her out right before you leave and immediately when you get home so she can do her business.

If you and your dc spend a lot of times with her in the evening, I don't think she will suffer in any way.

Dogs can go all night w/o needing to go to the bathroom. I think your dog will be fine at home. Lots of dogs do it. If you could build up to it gradually, I think you'll feel better. I had a hard time the first few times we left our dogs home for more than 7 hours. But, they were fine.

Seriously, I can't imagine anyone saying you shouldn't have a dog if you're going to work.

Give them extra attention/walking when you are home and they will be more than happy.

How old is she? Most adult dogs would get by just fine home alone for that long. Assuming, of course, that they get plenty of exercise and attention before/after work.

And is there any reason you couldn't do a little of both? Around here leaving a dog in a car for more than a few minutes wouldn't really be acceptable (even in cool weather), but if it's commonly done there, then it might give her an occasional break from staying home alone.

Please don't leave the dog in the car. At least at home it could move about freely.

Are there an homeschooled children nearby you can hire for cheap to let out/walk the dog once per week? Any kids who you can hire to let dog out after school? Do you have a fenced in yard so you can install a doggie door?

Maybe a companion for the dog so it's not so lonely?

hhhhmmmmm..... I know I left our two labs when I worked full time. They were like kids to me. They had pkenty of time/exercise once I got home. The current UTI has me concerned. You CAN give doggie cranberry suppkements. i'm quite certain I read about that recently. Maybe google it.

Gotta run. First training session with our underground fence!

Sorry to hear about your husband's job loss. :grouphug: I hope he finds something soon.

a) to take her to work with me (when the weather is temperate) and leave her in the car during the day. If I take her with me, I'll be able to walk her for five minutes before work, ten minutes at lunch time and then take her for a proper walk after work. I would have a water bowl in the car for her.

Is there any way your employer would agree to a dog crate and/or fence set up at or near the work site? Something like this or this? That way, she would be with you and the boys on the way to school, with you on the way to and from work, and with you during your break times throughout the day. But how will you run errands when the weather is too hot to leave her in the car? Could you take her with you all the other days, but leave her home on the errand day (if it's hot)?

b) leave her at home in the kitchen from 8am and walk her at around 4pm (early in the week) or 3pm (later in the week). She can potter about the kitchen, sleep in her bed, eat and drink. There's no one local who would be willing to walk her during the day.

Home seems like a better place to be, in some ways, but those are some long days for a sociable dog. Is there any way you could set up a mat (for peeing), perhaps in an attached mud room or garage, so she could relieve her bladder more often? Would she use it? Could you tolerate using it? I had friends who had to work long hours, and they used these for their dogs for a while.

One day a week I'm likely to to have to run errands and she will be at home/in the car from 8am to 6pm. She can last that long without peeing, but I'm trying to work out what would be best for her.

Laura

It's fenced to six feet high and has a dog house inside it. The area of the run is about two metres by three. She'd be safe in there, but she'd bark. I think she doesn't like it. Although the nearest neighbour is 100 metres away, I still don't want her barking all day.

Laura

You could try acclimating her to it by putting her in there while you are home to observe her. Don't let her out if she barks, but do correct her.

It might be worth a try on days you don't work, or it might be something you could use to alternate between being in the house and being outside. It kind of depends on her relief needs, though. Some dogs are good at holding it, but others don't do as well for as long.

When we fist married we had a Lab, both of us worked. Dog stayed home for the most part, just walked her in the am and in evening we took her to swim for awhile. She did fine. I will say when we got home, she was rested and ready to play. Once or twice a week we put her in doggie daycare if we were going to be working extra that week. Helped us since she was tired when she got home and we could relax.

You could try acclimating her to it by putting her in there while you are home to observe her. Don't let her out if she barks, but do correct her.

Then wait to let her out until she is quiet? Then praise her?

I'll see if I can work on that this weekend.

Thanks

Laura

Then wait to let her out until she is quiet? Then praise her?

I'll see if I can work on that this weekend.

Thanks

Laura

Yes. That would be a good plan. If she's quiet for about an hour, that is praiseworthy. And, it wouldn't hurt to let the neighbours know what you're trying to do with her. It makes it easier for you to ask if she's been a nuisance barker, and then they can be honest rather than polite, KWIM? :)

It's worth a try at least. If it works, you won't worry about her or your kitchen either. :) If it doesn't, there's still the kitchen option, and she's come to no harm from trying.

:001_smile:

Yes. That would be a good plan. If she's quiet for about an hour, that is praiseworthy. And, it wouldn't hurt to let the neighbours know what you're trying to do with her. It makes it easier for you to ask if she's been a nuisance barker, and then they can be honest rather than polite, KWIM? :)

It's worth a try at least. If it works, you won't worry about her or your kitchen either. :) If it doesn't, there's still the kitchen option, and she's come to no harm from trying.

:001_smile:

One of my neighbours would tell me honestly if she was barking and it wouldn't be awkward.

Laura

• 3 weeks later...