Menu

Book a Week in 2012 - week 33

Good Morning, Dolls! Today is the start of week 33 in our quest to read 52 books in 52 weeks. Welcome back to all our readers, welcome to all those just joining in and to all who are following our progress. Mr. Linky is all set up on the 52 books blog to link to your reviews.

52 Books Blog - Hugo Gernsback: Gernsback, the father of science fiction, birthday is August 16th.

Publisher Weekly's list of best new books for the week of August 13. I've got my eye on the St Zita Society by Ruth Rendell.

What are you reading this week?

Link to week 32

Haven't been able to settle on a new fiction book since finished Dee Henderson's Full Disclosure. Preparing for 7th grade and my child just turned 13 (oy!) and has hit teenage mode. Since we need to work on character, manners, morals and reading comprehension skills this year reading "Life Skills for kids" and just two newbies just arrived "Cleaning House: A mom's 12 month experiment to rid her home of Youth Entitlement" and "Deconstructing Penguins."

I finished two books this week.

61.) A Night Without Armor by Jewel - I read this in high school and loved it. As I read it again I could see why I loved it in high school, but most of the poems are less powerful to me now. I still enjoyed it. This was probably my favorite (ETA - This was my favorite as I read it anew, but it was not my favorite in high school.):

I Look at Young Girls Now

I look at young girls now

in their tight crushed velour

skin tight sky blue

hip huggers with the baby doll

tank tops

and I think

I've been there.

God, have I been there.

Sixteen years old and

wrestling with an overwhelming

newfound sexuality.

Parading it in all its

raw and awkward charm.

I had a pair of vintage

burgundy velvet shortshorts

that laced up

the sides

from the 1920s

and I wore them

with a tight leotard

and a plastic faux pearl

choker

showing off all my lanky

leggy blossoming

youth on the verge

of womanhood for all the

free world to see

with no idea how to keep

a secret, especially my own.

62.) Othello by Shakespeare - My grandmother and I read the book and then went to an amazing performance of it at the Illinois Shakespeare Festival. The performance definitely enhanced my understanding of the play. Seeing the emotion of the characters made it so much better and so intense. I'm already wondering what plays they'll do next year and wondering if my grandma will be up for another road trip.

Edited by crstarlette

#89 Tell the Wolves I'm Home (Carol Rifka Brunt; fiction)

I had planned to read more, but the week got away from me. It was a memorable one, though: I crossed the 600-mile mark for the season (biking) on Friday (I hope to reach at least 750 before swim season begins in three weeks) and saw Regina Taylor's Crowns at the Goodman Theatre on Saturday.

My list of Books Read in 2012.

Haven't been able to settle on a new fiction book since finished Dee Henderson's Full Disclosure. Preparing for 7th grade and my child just turned 13 (oy!) and has hit teenage mode. Since we need to work on character, manners, morals and reading comprehension skills this year reading "Life Skills for kids" and just two newbies just arrived "Cleaning House: A mom's 12 month experiment to rid her home of Youth Entitlement" and "Deconstructing Penguins."

I know I don't really have a vote in your order of reading but if I did I would vote you read Cleaning House next so you can review it here. It sounds really interesting and I'd like to know your opinion of it. :001_smile:

This week I finished (55) The Orchard by Theresa Weir and (56) Doc by Mary Russell. Both were rec's from this thread, and I enjoyed both of them.

This week I am going to see if I can get through The History of the Ancient World by Susan Wise Bauer. I've never been that interested in ancient history, so it will be interesting to see if I stick with it ;).

I've never heard of Huge Gernsback, Robin. Will have to look him up....

I just finished The Nazi Séance by Arthur J. Magida. Though the topic (Jewish mystic/advisor & friend to the Nazis, Erik Jan Hanussen) could have been interesting, it was rendered fairly dull in this book. That's a shame since the subject was supposed to have charisma & hypnotic abilities -- the book had neither. I suppose this is meant to be a biography, but the writing is a jumbled mess. The author jumps around, contradicts himself, inserts his opinion in various places, & goes off on tangents that don't really have a lot to do with the topic. The book is very unevenly & poorly written, as well as seeming under-researched. A disappointment, imo. Read the Wikipedia entry if you're curious about Hanussen -- it's more succinct & to the point.

Not sure what book I'll start next....

--------------------------

My Goodreads Page

Completed the Europa Challenge Cappuccino Level (at least 6 Europa books: #s 4, 9, 10, 11, 14, 19, & 21 on my list).

Completed Robin's Read a Russian Author in April Challenge (#24 & #26 on my list).

My rating system: 5 = Love; 4 = Pretty awesome; 3 = Decently good; 2 = Ok; 1 = Don't bother (I shouldn't have any 1s on my list as I would ditch them before finishing)...

2012 Books Read:

Books I read January-June 2012

37. Clutter Busting Your Life by Brooks Palmer (3 stars)

38. The Cat's Table by Michael Ondaatje (5 stars)

39. The Colors of Infamy by Albert Cossery (3 stars)

40. Osa and Martin: For the Love of Adventure by Kelly Enright (3 stars)

41. Hexed by Kevin Hearne (4 stars)

42. Soulless by Gail Carriger (3 stars)

43. The Hoarder in You by Dr. Robin Zasio (3 stars)

44. What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty (3 stars)

45. The Rook by Daniel O'Malley (5 stars)

46. The Nazi Séance by Arthur J. Magida (2 stars)

Edited by Stacia

This week I finished (55) The Orchard by Theresa Weir and (56) Doc by Mary Russell. Both were rec's from this thread, and I enjoyed both of them.

This week I am going to see if I can get through The History of the Ancient World by Susan Wise Bauer. I've never been that interested in ancient history, so it will be interesting to see if I stick with it ;).

Are you planning to read the whole thing in one week? Isn't it like, 900 pages? You deserve a trophy if you do that.

This week I finished:

#43 - Light a Penny Candle, by Maeve Binchy. This is the first book I ever read by Binchy. It got off to a slower start, but before long, I found myself curious about the characters' lives. After 803 pages, I was a bit disappointed in the ending; it seemed rather abrupt.

Currently reading:

#44 - Every Other Monday: Twenty Years of Life, Lunch, Faith and Friendship, by John Kasich. Nonfiction, autobiographical. Just started yesterday, so no opinion yet.

I've been off the radar for a few weeks; vacation, husband having surgery... This week I read The Weird Sisters by Eleanor Brown. It started slowly but by the end I really like the characters.

Up next? It depends on what comes in at the library. Maybe

1.61AR8s0fedL._SL160_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-dp,TopRight,12,-18_SH30_OU01_AA160_.jpg

The Warmth of Other Suns: The Epic Story of America's Great Migration by Isabel Wilkerson

I read the last two volumes of the Fifty Shades Trilogy: Fifty Shades Darker and Fifty Shades Freed. (I'd read Fifty Shades of Grey a couple of months ago, but finally obtained these from the library.) While there's a whole lot of eye rolling, peeking, lip biting, and smirking, the books were quite readable. As a romance reader of old, I appreciated the happy ending.

Regards,

Kareni

I dutifully finished another book of City of God and picked up Cry, the Beloved Country. I was assigned it in high school but *ahem* didn't read it. A South African homeschooling friend was aghast to learn that I was ignorant of Alan Paton, and so I'm reading it now out of shame. And it's a remarkable, beautiful, terribly sad book. I think I would have been too immature for it in high school.

Hi! I'm a delinquent! Can I come back?:D

I am so off pace to finish my 52 books but I'm still trying.

I am currently reading I Love Everybody (And Other Atrocious Lies) by Laurie Notaro and Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides.

Started "Cleaning House" this week also, something must be in the air;).

I haven't posted for a few weeks, been gone and stuff.

I read Doctor Zhivago, which I love love loved. Just beautifully written.

Also The Shadow of the Wind, which was extremely Gothic. I learned that if you live in Barcelona your life will be very very tragic. I liked it OK.

And Edith Wharton's The Age of Innocence, which was my first Wharton book and I loved it too.

The First World War, an overview history of the whole thing by John Keegan. Depressing but enlightening.

I dutifully finished another book of City of God and picked up Cry, the Beloved Country. I was assigned it in high school but *ahem* didn't read it. A South African homeschooling friend was aghast to learn that I was ignorant of Alan Paton, and so I'm reading it now out of shame. And it's a remarkable, beautiful, terribly sad book. I think I would have been too immature for it in high school.

I loved Cry, the Beloved Country. Another great one by Alan Paton is Too Late the Phalarope.

I finished my #52 last night! It was 1493 by Charles C. Mann. I learned a lot about world history that I had never imagined--history that you don't often hear/read about. Sometimes I felt my eyes glazing over, but overall, it was definitely worth reading.

I'm still listening to Coming Out of the Ice by Victor Herman and still amazed by it. I don't know what I'm going to actually read--I lent out my actual Kindle <gasp> so though I have several enticing books on it, I don't have access to them.

1. Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children;

2. Celestially Auspicious Occasions

3. The Mysterious Benedict Society

4. The Invention of Hugo Cabret

5. The Picture of Dorian Gray

6. Wuhu Diary

7. The Secret Life of the Dyslexic Child

8. Kingdom of Children

9. Values: Lighting the Candle of Excellence : A Practical Guide for the Family by Marva Collins

10. Natural Medicine Guide to Bipolar Disorder, The: New Revised Edition by Stephanie Marohn

11. Ordinary Children, Extraordinary Teachers by Marva Collins

12. Marva Collins' Way

13. Parenting a Child With Asperger Syndrome: 200 Tips and Strategies by Brenda Boyd

14. Tales from Shakespeare by Tina Packer

15. Parenting Your Asperger Child: Individualized Solutions for Teaching Your Child Practical Skills by Alan T. Sohn

16. Hitchhiking through Asperger Syndrome by Lise Pyles

17. Be Different: Adventures of a Free-Range Aspergian (John Elder Robison)

18. Quirky, Yes---Hopeless, No (Cynthia La Brie Norall)

19. Bringing Up Bebe: One American Mother Discovers the Wisdom of French Parenting

20. The Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome by Tony Attwood

21. ADD/ADHD Drug Free: Natural Alternatives and Practical Exercises to Help Your Child Focus by Frank Jacobelli

22. Create Your Own Free-Form Quilts: A Stress-Free Journey to Original Design by Rayna Gillman

23. The Shut-Down Learner Helping Your Academically Discouraged Child by Richard Selznick, PhD

24. Pretending to be Normal: Living With Asperger's Syndrome by Liane Holliday Willey

25.Healing the New Childhood Epidemics: Autism, ADHD, Asthma, and Allergies: The Groundbreaking Program for the 4-A Disorders by Kenneth Bock

26. Look me in the eye by John Elder Robison

27. Running with Scissors by Augusten Burroughs

28. Atypical - Life with Asperger's in 20 1/3 Chapters by Jesse Saperstein

29. Born on a Blue Day by Daniel Tammet

30. The Fire Within by Chris D'Lacey

31. Slouching Toward Adulthood ... Observations from the Not-So-Empty Nest by Sally Koslow

32. Creating Innovators by Tony Wagner

Currently reading Outliers and Shadow of Night

I haven't posted in the Book a Week threads since the end of May. Ooops! I have been reading, though. Mostly light reads-

22. 11th Hour by James Patterson

23. Come Home by Lisa Scottoline

24. The Five People You Meet in Heavn by Mitch Albom

25. Insurgent by Veronica Roth

26. Look Again by Lisa Scottoline

27. Where Are You Now? by Mary Higgins Clark

28. Pinocchio by Carlo Collodi

29. Not My Daughter by Barbara Delinsky

30. I'll Walk Alone by Mary Higgins Clark

31. Graveminder by Melissa Marr

32. The Sugar Queen by Sarah Addison Allen

33. Stand By Me by Neta Jackson

34. The Lucky One by Nicholas Sparks

35. The Witness by Nora Roberts

36. The Red Tent by Anita Diamant

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has missed a couple weeks! We had two road trips (one over 2000 miles) and a wedding that both my girls were in. I thought I had kept up, but it looks like I'm behind. :tongue_smilie:

I finished the third book in The Belgariad. I'm so glad that Dawn was reading these. It prompted me to, and I do love them!

I also read on my Nook "A Proper Companion" by Candice Hern. It was a Regency Romance. I really enjoyed this book! Very similar to Georgette Heyer. I was pleased to find out that there are two more books with characters from this book. I highly recommend it to anyone who likes that genre.

31. "A Proper Companion" by Candice Hern

30. "Magician's Gambit" by David Eddings

29. "Queen of Sorcery" by David Eddings

28. "Pawn of Prophecy" by David Eddings

27. "The Island of Doctor Moreau" by H. G. Wells

26. "Darcy's Voyage" by Kara Louise

25. "A Red Herring Without Mustard" by Alan Bradley

24. "Below Stairs" by Margaret Powell

23. "The Deception at Lyme" by Carrie Bebris

22. "The Intrigue at Highbury" by Carrie Bebris

21. "Faro's Daughter" by Georgette Heyer

20. "The Merchant of Venice" by William Shakespeare

19. "The Sword of Shanara" by Terry Brooks

18. "The Matters at Mansfield" by Carrie Bebris

17. "A Midsummer Night's Dream" by William Shakespeare

16. "Juliet" by Anne Fortier

15. "Romeo and Juliet" by William Shakespeare

14. "North by Northanger" by Carrie Bebris

13. "Yarn Harlot" by Stephanie Pearl-McPhee

12. "Suspense and Sensibility" by Carrie Bebris

11. "The Tempest" by William Shakespeare

10. "Cotillion" by Georgette Heyer

9. "Pride and Prescience" by Carrie Bebris

8. "Ophelia" by Lisa Klein

7. "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead" by Tom Stoppard

6. "Hamlet" by William Shakespeare

5. "The Sisters Grimm" by Michael Buckley

4. "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" by J. K. Rowling

3. "The Lost Hero" by Rick Riordan

2. "Henry V" by William Shakespeare

1. "The Eyre Affair" by Jasper Fforde

84. Ender's Shadow by Orson Scott Card~science fiction, children, war, politics. I got sucked into this one after finding it in one of the boy's rooms. Re-read. Its always surprising how enjoyable this retelling of Ender's Game from Bean's POV is. There are a few slow spots but Card really makes this Bean's story in every way

83. Fruit Trees in Small Places by Colby Elderman~gardening, fruit, pruning strategies. This was a good book and it gave me a lot of ideas for small yard tree planting and care. Good pictures. Lists of root stock varieties and height. Close formation planting and special pruning to insure small trees. You do need other orchard books along with this one, it can't tell you what works for your area (although it does recommend varieties and has lots of photos of different fruits).

82. Landscaping with Native Plants of Minnesota by Lynn Steiner~gardening, native plants. This was one of the best gardening books I've read this year. It was extremely well laid out. The side bars were excellent. It also was one of the few books that truly understands that there are different zones for things. It also has an understanding of understory planting, and front yard prairie in urban/suburban areas (staying in-line with neighborhood regulations and just tips for presenting a neat, non-floppy yard. I'm definitely getting this author's book on Wisconsin, prairie, and rain gardens.

Best of the Year

*Top 5

**Number 1

81. The Housekeeper and the Professor by Yoko Ogawa~mathematics, friendship, family, baseball.

79. Half Broke Horses by Jeannette ~memoir, biography, southwest

78. The Strange Affair of Spring Heeled Jack by Mark Hodder~science fiction, alternate history, Richard Burton, steampunk.

68. The Penderwicks by Jeanne Birdsall~children's fiction, sisters, adventure. *

61. The Poisoner's Handbook by Deborah Blum~non-fiction, forensic science, chemistry, New York, Prohibition. *

59. The Green Mile by Stephen King~supernatural, prison, 1930s. *

51. North by Northanger by Carrie Bebis~Jane Austen, mystery

50. The Essential Garden Design Workbook by Rosemary Alexander~non-fiction, gardening, landscape design.

47. The Monster of Florence by Douglas Preston and Mario Spezi~memoir, Italy, criminal case, serial killer.

41. Five Quarters of the Orange by Joanne Harris~fiction, France, WWII, food. *

36. Superfudge by Judy Blume~fiction, classic children's book.

30. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen~classic literature.

28. Divergent by Veronica Roth~youth fiction, dystopian.

23. Uncle Tungsten: Memories of a Chemical Boyhood by Oliver Sacks~non-fiction, memoir, history of chemistry.

18. A Thread of Grace by Mary Doria Russell~fiction, WWII **

16. Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card~classic science fiction, read aloud.

11. Case Histories by Kate Atkinson~mystery

7. The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down by Anne Fadiman~non-fiction/medical

2. The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton~Fiction

1. The Children's Book by A.S. Byatt~Fiction

Working on:

Blood Meridian (McCarthy) ~I will finish this, I will.

The Zookeeper's Wife (Ackerman)

Doc (Russell)

Crossing (Yoors)

Edith Wharton's The Age of Innocence, which was my first Wharton book and I loved it too.

I finished this a few weeks ago. I liked it as well. The symbolism in the very last sentence was very fitting.

Robin, I looked at the link of the Clean House book. I'm curious as to how much she has her kids do.

I guess I'm an odd one with everyone I know irl it seems. My kids actually *gasp* do chores. I've had people look at me like I have three heads when I mention the chores my kids do. I don't think they do enough and I'd like to bump the chores up.

In fact right now my oldest is washing the lunch dishes (no automatic dishwasher) and the middle ds is putting away laundry. Later the following chores are for this afternoon: vacuum school room, put away dry dishes, water plants, clean kitchen counters, clean up toys, wipe off dining table, put more laundry away.

Robin, I looked at the link of the Clean House book. I'm curious as to how much she has her kids do.

I guess I'm an odd one with everyone I know irl it seems. My kids actually *gasp* do chores. I've had people look at me like I have three heads when I mention the chores my kids do. I don't think they do enough and I'd like to bump the chores up.

In fact right now my oldest is washing the lunch dishes (no automatic dishwasher) and the middle ds is putting away laundry. Later the following chores are for this afternoon: vacuum school room, put away dry dishes, water plants, clean kitchen counters, clean up toys, wipe off dining table, put more laundry away.

My kiddo does some chores but grumbles and moans and complains at how hard it is. I think it's more about attitude and not taking mom for granted, but we'll see. Will let you know when I read it.

I've been off the radar for a few weeks; vacation, husband having surgery... This week I read The Weird Sisters by Eleanor Brown. It started slowly but by the end I really like the characters.

Welcome back. The Weird Sisters surprised me. Didn't expect to like it and enjoyed it thoroughly.

Hi! I'm a delinquent! Can I come back?:D

Good thing we don't have a delinquency fine. Welcome back!

I just finished reading 'Spiritual Hunger' by Dr Allan G. Hunter.

Now I want to post a thread asking if people who hate Christmas like hating it, but that's bound to get nasty and I'm not in the mood. I definitely recommend the book and would like to read some more of his.

Rosie

Checked it out on Amazon. Definitely looks interesting.

I've started yet another steampunk book: Phoenix Rising: A Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences Novel by Pip Ballantine & Tee Morris.

phoenixrisingmorrisballantine.jpg

"Evil is most assuredly afoot—and Britain’s fate rests in the hands of an alluring renegade . . . and a librarian.

These are dark days indeed in Victoria’s England. Londoners are vanishing, then reappearing, washing up as corpses on the banks of the Thames, drained of blood and bone. Yet the Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences—the Crown’s clandestine organization whose bailiwick is the strange and unsettling—will not allow its agents to investigate. Fearless and exceedingly lovely Eliza D. Braun, however, with her bulletproof corset and a disturbing fondness for dynamite, refuses to let the matter rest . . . and she’s prepared to drag her timorous new partner, Wellington Books, along with her into the perilous fray.

For a malevolent brotherhood is operating in the deepening London shadows, intent upon the enslavement of all Britons. And Books and Braun—he with his encyclopedic brain and she with her remarkable devices—must get to the twisted roots of a most nefarious plot . . . or see England fall to the Phoenix!"

Oh I like! Adding to my wishlist

I'm so sorry the *love* turned to *hate* . . . This series is an all-time favorite of mine and everything is so well-handled and, as you said, the writing is beautiful. I am trying to decide which love interest you didn't like, and whether it actually turned out that way . . .

In any event, we've all been disappointed in books at one time or another and have left them unfinished. Hope whichever book you're reading next is more enjoyable!

I think I picked a bad time in my life to read it. I've got a close relative going through a very bad spot because of an inappropriate teacher/student situation so that prevented me from even getting past the first part of the book. I might try one of her other books in the series and see if I enjoy that more because I was loving the book until I realized what was going to happen.

My book club has been picking some really odd books lately. Guess that's why I love it. It's taking me outside of my comfort zone of reading. We just finished The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven by Sherman Alexie. It's a collection of short stories set on the modern day Spokane Indian reservation. Oh my. What a sad depressing hopeless book! Well written but the content was so unhappy. I don't think that any of the 22 stories were happy.

I think I'm in the reading doldrums that I heard mentioned a few weeks ago. Looking through my to-read list nothing seems interesting. DD and I are still slowly working through her read aloud and I just want to be done with it and switch to something else. My reading just feels very blah after I've finished one sad book and quite another sad book. I'm going to try picking up another Raymond Chandler book I haven't read lately and see if that peps me up any. I'm also going to listen to an old favorite audiobook.

Report in if you had the reading doldrums and got past them. I'm interested in hearing how everyone else got their reading groove back!

In progress:

Emma by Jane Austen

The Lady in the Lake by Raymond Chandler

Playful Learning by Mariah Bruehl

Calico Bush by Rachel Field (read aloud)

The Cat Who Ate Danish Modern by Lillian Jackson Braun (audiobook)

2012 finished books:

90. The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven by Sherman Alexie (***)

89. Catherine, Called Birdy by Karen Cushman - YA (****)

88. The Mirror Cracked Side to Side by Agatha Christie (***)

87. The Princess Bride by William Goldman (*****)

86. Crocodiles on the Sandbank by Elizabeth Peters (***)

86. The Tattooed Potato and Other Clues by Ellen Raskin - YA (***)

84. Supermarket by Satoshi Azuchi (**)

83. Kitchen by Banana Yoshimoto (*****)

82. Stein on Writing by Sol Stein (****)

81. Order from Chaos by Liz Davenport (**)

Books 41 - 80

Books 1 - 40

Amy's Rating System:

***** - Fantastic, couldn't put it down

**** - Very good

*** - Enjoyable but nothing special

** - Not recommended

* - Horrible

Edited by aggieamy

For something new I'm reading Lord Peter- short stories by DLS. The first one was pretty dark but I guess DLS had to pack of punch right off with it being short and all.

Loved the Centenary Collection about DLS- she was such an intriguing character. I think ds17 and I are going to go ahead and try to squeeze in MP's study of the Divine Comedy as a result, using Sayer's translation.

I'm back!!!

Hello everyone. I have been off doing all sorts of fun things but, despite not having posted for several weeks, I have been reading.

So #33 was Rachel Carson's Silent Spring, a bit of a slog in terms of beach reading, but as relevant today as it was 50 years ago when first published.

I needed something lighter after Carson and chose a mystery entitled Or the Bull Kills You. Set in Valencia, the book also offers a cultural glimpse at bullfighting. Quite interesting.

#35 was something completely different for me. I did not jump on the dystopian bandwagon with The Hunger Games, but for some reason found myself drawn to a slender volume entitled Genesis by New Zealand author Bernard Beckett. This would be a great choice for your 9th grader who is studying ancients as the book is a post apocalyptic Socratic dialogue: interesting philosophical sci fi which could lead to some fascinating discussions on the differences between man and machine.

I had borrowed #36 from the library for my husband but after he read it he encouraged me to pick it up. Where the Shadows Lie by Michael Ridpath is a mystery that places a Boston cop in Iceland. There is a LOtR/Icelandic saga backdrop which is fun.

#37 was not a traditional mystery. Peter Robinson's After the Poison has an atmosphere that feels like a Hitchcock film. Lots of ethical questions raised in this one. I really liked it.

Currently I am reading three books: A Planet of Viruses (yeah--a book for non-biologists on viruses), Strapless by Deborah Davis (a book about the artist John Singer Sargent and one of his famous models, society bell Amelie Gautreau), and---yes, dear Ladydusk--Susan Howatch's Penmarric.

I hope everyone is enjoying their summer. Hugs to the readers!

Jane

and---yes, dear Ladydusk--Susan Howatch's Penmarric.

I hope everyone is enjoying their summer. Hugs to the readers!

Jane

Welcome back! I was recently wondering how you were and what you were reading :lol:

I loved Penmarric earlier this summer, enjoy! Cashelmara - not so much :(

I keep trying to find my copy of Wheel of Fortune. It's around here somewhere ...

I think I picked a bad time in my life to read it. I've got a close relative going through a very bad spot because of an inappropriate teacher/student situation...

I am so sorry to hear this . . .

I might try one of her other books in the series and see if I enjoy that more because I was loving the book until I realized what was going to happen.

Please keep in mind that the seven volumes, while each can stand alone, do follow one another chronologically - and characters from earlier books ARE mentioned, including those from volume one . . .

I loved Cry, the Beloved Country. Another great one by Alan Paton is Too Late the Phalarope.

Thanks for the tip! I'll definitely add it to my To Read pile, er, shelf, um, shelves. :)

Done with #11 Cry, the Beloved Country - odd that that's two books I've read this year that draw explicitly on the story of Absalom - and working on another book of Augustine. Whenever I get all the way through, I'll have to pick another monster book to plow through. Thoughts, anyone? Gibbon? Ariosto?

47 - The Unexpected Mrs. Pollifax by Dorothy Gilman - a fun, easy mystery book

48 - The Great Gatsby by F Scott Fitzgerald - I read this book in high school and I remember liking it. However when I started it again I had such a hard time getting into it. I found it overly descrptive in the beginning. Once I got past the beginning though I remembered why I liked the book so much. Still smh at Daisy.

Jane, the mystery books you mentioned sound very interesting. I love mysteries and I'm always looking for new titles. Thanks!

I read Right Ho, Jeeves after My Man. It was very, very funny. Loved it.

2012 Books Reviews

1. Lit! by Tony Reinke

2. Loving the Little Years by Rachel Jankovic

3. Words to Eat By by Ina Lipkowitz

4. How to Tutor Your Own Child by Marina Koestler Ruben

5. Evening in the Palace of Reason by James R Gaines (spectacular)

6. The Cat of Bubastes by GA Henty (Audio from Librivox)

7. The Last Battle by C S Lewis (Audiobook)

8. A Praying Life by Paul E Miller

9. Emotional Intensity in Gifted Students by Christine Fonesca

10. Little Britches: Father and I Were Ranchers by Ralph Moody (fantastic read aloud)

11. The Bronze Bow by Elizabeth George Speare

12. The Abolition of Man by C.S. Lewis

13. How to Write a Sentence by Stanley Fish

14. The Year of Magical Thinking by Joan Didion

15. The Rich Are Different by Susan Howatch

16. The Masqueraders by Georgette Heyer

17. Sylvester by Georgette Heyer

18. Understood Betsy by Dorothy Canfield Fisher (great read aloud)

19. Sins of the Fathers by Susan Howatch (wow!)

20. Half Broke Horses by Jeannette Walls (very good)

21. Mansfield Park by Jane Austen (favorite)

22. The Toll Gate by Georgette Heyer

23. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl (audio book)

24. The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick (audio book)

25. Penmarric by Susan Howatch

26. Cashelmara by Susan Howatch

27. The Grand Sophy by Georgette Heyer

28. Pawn of Prophecy by David Eddings

29. Queen of Sorcery by David Eddings

30. Magician's Gambit by David Eddings

31. Castle of Wizadry by David Eddings

32. Enchanter's End Game by David Eddings

33. Persuasion by Jane Austen

34. Surprised by Oxford by Carolyn Weber (phenomenal)

35. A Circle of Quiet by Madeleine L'Engle

36. My Man, Jeeves by PG Wodehouse

37. Right Ho, Jeeves by PG Wodehouse

I think I'm coming out of the reading doldrums. I finished Playful Learning by Mariah Bruehl last night and have a few ideas I'm going to try this year with DD. Her book had a Montessori feel to it and I enjoyed reading it. Most of the activities were aimed at younger children but a few I was able to tweak to work with an older child. My favorite suggestion was having a writing station - I'm going to implement that this week.

I love the Cat Who series and I adore the audiobooks read by George Guidall. My grandmother and I used to listen to them together when she was alive. Listening to The Cat Who Ate Danish Modern by Lillian Jackson Braun brought back some of those happy memories and feelings. I highly recommend that audiobook series if you are looking for a fun, cozy mystery. Go with the earlier ones though because the later ones jumped the shark.

In progress:

Emma by Jane Austen

The Lady in the Lake by Raymond Chandler

Calico Bush by Rachel Field (read aloud)

2012 finished books:

91. Playful Learning by Mariah Bruehl (***)

91. The Cat Who Ate Danish Modern by Lillian Jackson Braun - audiobook (****)

90. The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven by Sherman Alexie (***)

89. Catherine, Called Birdy by Karen Cushman - YA (****)

88. The Mirror Cracked Side to Side by Agatha Christie (***)

87. The Princess Bride by William Goldman (*****)

86. Crocodiles on the Sandbank by Elizabeth Peters (***)

86. The Tattooed Potato and Other Clues by Ellen Raskin - YA (***)

84. Supermarket by Satoshi Azuchi (**)

83. Kitchen by Banana Yoshimoto (*****)

82. Stein on Writing by Sol Stein (****)

81. Order from Chaos by Liz Davenport (**)

Books 41 - 80

Books 1 - 40

Amy's Rating System:

***** - Fantastic, couldn't put it down

**** - Very good

*** - Enjoyable but nothing special

** - Not recommended

* - Horrible

#35 was something completely different for me. I did not jump on the dystopian bandwagon with The Hunger Games, but for some reason found myself drawn to a slender volume entitled Genesis by New Zealand author Bernard Beckett. This would be a great choice for your 9th grader who is studying ancients as the book is a post apocalyptic Socratic dialogue: interesting philosophical sci fi which could lead to some fascinating discussions on the differences between man and machine.

I had borrowed #36 from the library for my husband but after he read it he encouraged me to pick it up. Where the Shadows Lie by Michael Ridpath is a mystery that places a Boston cop in Iceland. There is a LOtR/Icelandic saga backdrop which is fun.

Jane

Jane and other mystery readers,

You just reminded me of a mystery author you might enjoy. I read one of his mysteries--I think I read it at my mother's as her heritage is 100 percent Icelandic. If my mother read it, it probably has merit because she's no literary slouch (not that I am opposed to the occasional fluffy reading).

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=ntt_athr_dp_sr_1?_encoding=UTF8&field-author=Arnaldur%20Indri%C3%B0ason&ie=UTF8&search-alias=books&sort=relevancerank

I don't remember which one I read off the top of my head, but if I read the whole thing it must have been a decent read as I'm not a big mystery reader (as you know.)

I'm intrigued by this Genesis novel & am off to look it up. I really enjoy Socratic dialogue.

Good thing we don't have a delinquency fine. Welcome back!

Oh good! Because, along with my library fines, I couldn't afford it.;)

So, if anyone has read Middlesex and really liked it, tell me why I should stick with it. I'm about 120 pages in and it's just not grabbing me. I can hang in there if it's going to get better.:)

Re-read the Maximum Ride series by James Patterson because my beloved bought me the last one which just came out.

The Angel Experiment

School's Out Forever

Saving the World and Other Extreme Sports

The Final Warning

Max

Fang

Angel

Nevermore

Also, the latest Kate Daniels, Gunmetal Magic which was absolutely fabulous.

Bristol Palin's autobiography, Not Afraid of Life

Janice Dickinson's autobiography, No Lifeguard on Duty

Jenna Black's Nikki Glass series #1 and #2, Dark Descendant and Deadly Descendant.

now re-reading Storm Front, Book 1 of the Dresden Files and planning to read the whole series to get ready for Cold Play, coming out November 27th!!!!

So, if anyone has read Middlesex and really liked it, tell me why I should stick with it. I'm about 120 pages in and it's just not grabbing me. I can hang in there if it's going to get better.:)

I loved it & it's one of my favorite novels. I think it's just gorgeously written, plus the story is touching, funny, & heart-wrenching. I think Cal/Callie is one of the best narrators I've had the pleasure of encountering in a story.

Here is one of my favorite quotes from the book:

“Emotions, in my experience, aren't covered by single words. I don't believe in "sadness," "joy," or "regret." Maybe the best proof that the language is patriarchal is that it oversimplifies feeling. I'd like to have at my disposal complicated hybrid emotions, Germanic train-car constructions like, say, "the happiness that attends disaster." Or: "the disappointment of sleeping with one's fantasy." I'd like to show how "intimations of mortality brought on by aging family members" connects with "the hatred of mirrors that begins in middle age." I'd like to have a word for "the sadness inspired by failing restaurants" as well as for "the excitement of getting a room with a minibar." I've never had the right words to describe my life, and now that I've entered my story, I need them more than ever.â€

That said, if it's not grabbing you after 120 pages, maybe it's just not your thing & is time to move on....

Jane and other mystery readers,

You just reminded me of a mystery author you might enjoy. I read one of his mysteries--I think I read it at my mother's as her heritage is 100 percent Icelandic. If my mother read it, it probably has merit because she's no literary slouch (not that I am opposed to the occasional fluffy reading).

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=ntt_athr_dp_sr_1?_encoding=UTF8&field-author=Arnaldur%20Indri%C3%B0ason&ie=UTF8&search-alias=books&sort=relevancerank

I don't remember which one I read off the top of my head, but if I read the whole thing it must have been a decent read as I'm not a big mystery reader (as you know.)

I'm intrigued by this Genesis novel & am off to look it up. I really enjoy Socratic dialogue.

Thanks Karin. I just ordered this from the library.

Cleaning Nabokov's House-- a nicely written near-romance novel, but not. A little different, and very funny. (Has sex, but not graphic, and I don't want to give it away. Could be offensive to some.) Nice vacation read.

The Tiger's Wife is on hold for me at the library, so I'll start that this weekend.

Edited by LibraryLover

Re-read the Maximum Ride series by James Patterson because my beloved bought me the last one which just came out.

The Angel Experiment

School's Out Forever

Saving the World and Other Extreme Sports

The Final Warning

Max

Fang

Angel

Nevermore

Does this series have an end? I read a few of them & enjoyed some of them, but gave up when they woke up all wired to something and being told it was all a dream. My dd said that's not really what happened, but only want to continue if it ends somewhere. Also, I found some things a bit vague.

We were away for a few weeks. Nice to be back and go through this thread.

I started a few books and gave up on them after my 10% Rule.

I'll post tomorrow on the new thread as to the books I've completed. This is by far my favorite thread on these boards. Since we basically live in the middle of nowhere, when we do get to visit more developed countries, it feels so comforting and nice to see books in bookstores and realize that I'm really not out of it. Most of it is thanks to this thread and all the great suggestions. :grouphug:

I read this several years ago and tried so very hard to implement it. I'm a Life Skills flunkie, at least as far as implementing it in a way to get through to my dc. :blush:

This week I finished (55) The Orchard by Theresa Weir and (56) Doc by Mary Russell.

I really enjoyed the former earlier this year.

I've added the latter to my wish list.

#43 - Light a Penny Candle, by Maeve Binchy.

Sorry it wasn't the best for you. She's one of my favorite authors. as far as light and fluffy goes anyway. I read Light a Penny Candle many years ago. Not one of her best, if I recall.

I read The Weird Sisters by Eleanor Brown.

This has been on my wish list for the longest while. I haven't been able to ever really decide on buying it or not. May look into this again after all.

I read the last two volumes of the Fifty Shades Trilogy: Fifty Shades Darker and Fifty Shades Freed. (I'd read Fifty Shades of Grey a couple of months ago, but finally obtained these from the library.) While there's a whole lot of eye rolling, peeking, lip biting, and smirking, the books were quite readable. As a romance reader of old, I appreciated the happy ending.

Good to know.

If I do read these, it'll be on my Kindle for sure. Can't have others see that I'm reading them. ;)

Not counting it toward my count (ages 8 and up), we finished Detectives in Togas as a family read aloud this evening. My kids all loved it. My husband and I liked it OK.

We all loved this when we read it a few years ago.

I am currently reading I Love Everybody (And Other Atrocious Lies) by Laurie Notaro and Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides.

Can't wait to start reading the former, hopefully soon. Too many books to read and too little time.

Loved Middlesex. :)

Hopefully it has gotten a bit better by now. If not, agreeing with Stacia, feel fine to quit. :)

Personally, I loved it. Never thought I would. I was very skeptical about this book. For me, it was one of those books that I just couldn't stop talking about and thinking about for weeks after. I still think and remember the characters clearly. Months later. Sounds weird to say, but the story has made me a bit more compassionate, I think.

I think Cal/Callie is one of the best narrators I've had the pleasure of encountering in a story.

:iagree: and I really love the quote you shared. Makes me miss the book even more.

Also The Shadow of the Wind, which was extremely Gothic. I learned that if you live in Barcelona your life will be very very tragic. I liked it OK.

Read this earlier this year. Liked it a lot, but can't say I loved it.

Currently reading Outliers

Loved this. Love all his books.

I just finished reading 'Spiritual Hunger' by Dr Allan G. Hunter.

Now I want to post a thread asking if people who hate Christmas like hating it, but that's bound to get nasty and I'm not in the mood.

I wish you would post that thread, Rosie. :D

I read 'Message in a Bottle' last night and it was just the sort of soppy stuff I was after until the end.

Rosie, I read this a few years ago and it's because of the ending that I refuse to read any others by him. Love the movie "The Notebook", but I don't care for his books.

Edited by Negin in Grenada

Sorry it wasn't the best for you. She's one of my favorite authors. as far as light and fluffy goes anyway. I read Light a Penny Candle many years ago. Not one of her best, if I recall.

I'm willing to give Maeve another try! Here is what the library has; which would you recommend? Thanks!

Circle of friends

The copper beech

Echoes

Evening class

Firefly summer

The glass lake

Heart and soul

The lilac bus

Minding Frankie

Nights of rain and stars

Quentins

The return journey