Menu

No Regrets: How Homeschooling Earned Me a Master's Degree at Age Sixteen

That's always my question about accelerating kids...what are the long-term benefits?

TIME! Time for a gap year, time for building up more skills in areas like music or foreign language, time to travel, etc.

I graduated from high school (homeschool) at 15. Started college that fall, and during the next few years, I worked full time, traveled to live in DC, pursued my music, and more. Because I got a head start on life and on advanced education, I was able to get married and start a family young, like I'd always dreamed of.

We're pursuing early college in various forms for my children, for this exact reason. My daughter's goal is to be a wife and mother. She'd also like to pursue her music and get a Master's degree. So, we're starting her young so she can get a head start.

It's not for everyone, but there are definite benefits if you choose this path.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now I don't know how the drop-out rate compares between the UK and the US, so I don't know if the pace is too fast for some in the UK.

The US has a relatively low graduation rate compared to most other industrialized countries, surprise surprise. The UK is way ahead.

http://wamu.org/news/morning_edition/12/02/21/graduation_rates_increase_around_the_globe_as_us_plateaus

I started college as a new 17 year old. I think I would have benefitted from more time in high school. Additionally, while I was in the academic track, I could have done much, much more. So I am personally skeptical of acceleration as a general strategy. I am more interested in expanding the range and depth of topics introduced and covered with my children, instead of charging faster down a linear path. (This does not apply to geniuses, but merely regular to fairly advanced children.)

The US has a relatively low graduation rate compared to most other industrialized countries, surprise surprise. The UK is way ahead.

http://wamu.org/news/morning_edition/12/02/21/graduation_rates_increase_around_the_globe_as_us_plateaus

I started college as a new 17 year old. I think I would have benefitted from more time in high school. Additionally, while I was in the academic track, I could have done much, much more. So I am personally skeptical of acceleration as a general strategy. I am more interested in expanding the range and depth of topics introduced and covered with my children, instead of charging faster down a linear path. (This does not apply to geniuses, but merely regular to fairly advanced children.)

:iagree: I left high school a couple of months after my sixteenth birthday and started at community college for my required courses. High school, even on the advanced track with AP courses, was a joke. The course offerings were not varied and content of most courses was what I'd think a sixth grader would be capable of doing.

I spoke with DH last night about this. He agreed that he sees no use for this kind of acceleration for an average-range student. One to two years is quite different from six to seven years. We plan on meeting our children at their educational level ourselves until they're at least mid-teens. If they need higher than high-school work, I'm plenty comfortable doing that at home until I think they're mature enough for full-time college enrollment, life skills, and career planning.

I'm always surprised more people, especially homeschoolers, don't know about Simon's Rock: http://www.simons-rock.edu/

It's exclusively an early college and been around for almost fifty years. I went there after my sophomore year. Most of the freshman were 15-16, though Mia Farrrow's son started the same year I did at 11, IIRC.

Students complete a two year degree in the lower college than can matriculate into the upper college or transfer. There is far more support for students than at most colleges because the students are all so young. It's academically rigorous, and just all-around a fascinating place.

Thank you for posting this information -- I knew about Bard College, but wasn't aware of the early college. :001_smile:

OK, I read the book--thanks to the OP for posting the link! After reading, I am very impressed by the Swann family and their dedication to making their educational vision a reality. The book doesn't come across to me as a "how to" guide for radically accelerating your children; I see instead one family's account of homeschooling as pioneers and achieving success in their own goals through persistent hard work and dedication. I find it very encouraging, not because I want to imitate them but because I also have a unique vision for my family and am working to make it a reality.

:iagree:and what follows isn't directed to you - quoting you makes it easier than typing it all myself.

While I agree that the educational program they followed was relatively light in science/math, it seemed quite rigorous in the humanities.

Light in science and math does not seem to do justice to what they did. Either I am misreading or they did NO science and math post high school. And "mother" studied at night to relearn hs algebra and geometry, then presented it to them in a simplified way so they could understand. I don't even know what that means.

The university work especially seemed to involve a lot of research and paper writing--including a 45 page capstone project for the undergraduate degree. I wasn't required to produce anything like that! And it was all done by hand and with an electric typewriter that required the entire paper to be re-typed every time revisions were made.

Every paper was revised by her mother (then she mentions that the other students had to do rewrites, but not her:001_huh:) and her mother typed all her papers for at least the first couple years.

Oy, am I ever grateful for computers:) No, the kids didn't get Ivy League degrees--that was obviously not this family's goal. They did get degrees from reputable universities. I suspect that Mother Swann's own experience heavily impacted her desire to see her children through college and graduate degrees while they were young--she never attended college herself and apparently married around age 18 (the daughter mentions that her mother was 29 when she started homeschooling her, and that the first 7 years of her parents' marriage had been childless). She had seen women struggling to get degrees while raising their families, and wanted to give her kids a jump-start in education. I think she did a fabulous job of meeting that goal, and if there were a memorial wall for homeschool pioneers her name should have a prominent place on it.

She did meet her goal, and I do find the book motivating over all. However, I can't help but feel like I've been had. I have a picture in my head of what it means to have a Master's. Having your mom as a private tutor, revising and typing your papers, it just feels... wrong.

She did meet her goal, and I do find the book motivating over all. However, I can't help but feel like I've been had. I have a picture in my head of what it means to have a Master's. Having your mom as a private tutor, revising and typing your papers, it just feels... wrong.

Regarding the typing, I believe it used to be quite common for college students to hire someone to type their papers--typing was not a skill that everyone had. I don't think it implies that the actual research and writing of the paper was not the student's work.

Regarding the typing, I believe it used to be quite common for college students to hire someone to type their papers--typing was not a skill that everyone had. I don't think it implies that the actual research and writing of the paper was not the student's work.

Yes, I had my own electric typewriter in college---something unheard of at the time. I typed papers for hire. Nobody typed their own papers.

How do child labor laws work for a 16 year old with a masters? Most jobs for a person with a masters aren't used to working around child labor laws.

As far as I know, child labor laws do not apply to 16yos who are no longer in school. I believe even 14 and 15yos can work 40 hours per week on non-school days.

Maybe someone who read it can fill me in:

1.) Why did they need Master's degrees? From an article a few years ago, I thought most of them were in media (journalists, photographers, etc.) or mortgage loans. It seems even a homeschooled Master's would cost something, and I wonder if there was a return on that investment?

2) Did every single one get a Bachelor of Liberal Arts and a Master's in History? I only have three dc, but I can't imagine all of them getting the same degree. :001_huh: Of course, they have had more variety in their education, so maybe that is the difference.

I keep on my current path with my kids because they're enjoying their childhood, have many extra activities they love, and because I feel like they'll get more out of college when they're more emotionally mature and have a better feel for what they what might like to pursue long term. I only have 2 kids. I'm in no hurry to get them grown up. I don't consider their childhood a race. If I thought there were other good options, I'd consider them.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

Maybe someone who read it can fill me in:

1.) Why did they need Master's degrees? From an article a few years ago, I thought most of them were in media (journalists, photographers, etc.) or mortgage loans. It seems even a homeschooled Master's would cost something, and I wonder if there was a return on that investment?

2) Did every single one get a Bachelor of Liberal Arts and a Master's in History? I only have three dc, but I can't imagine all of them getting the same degree. :001_huh: Of course, they have had more variety in their education, so maybe that is the difference.

I've now finished the book. I don't really understand the point of the master's degrees either. The mom was calling the shots and helping the daughter all throughout with things like topics, editing, and revising, not just typing. She wanted to go to law school but knew her parents wouldn't let her. Once they found BYU and Cal State DH, it was decided that those were the programs that all the children would go through. There was no room for individuality besides picking a track within the five humanities offered for the Master of Arts in Humanities (not a masters in history). Both the high school and college programs that the kids went through were designed for adults returning to school. They weren't regular high school, bachelors, or masters programs.

Also, to clear up a few misconceptions I got from reading this thread before the book: all the talk about three hours was just wrong according to the book. She said 8:30-11:30, then back to work at 1. She said that once a month, they would get off early at 2. Later in the book, she said that the school day was over by 3 or 4. She talks about how light her masters load was compared to what she been doing for ten years. And besides the oldest having been enrolled in the dance class for a year, there were no other opportunities for outside interaction mentioned. In fact, she spends an entire chapter talking about how her siblings took the place of friends.

She says "Often my school day lasted no longer than three hours" *shrug* I assume that is the early years though (because that is when I got that) I have not got to how long she spent on her Master's.

The high school diploma seemed very.....lame. Maybe options were limited then. I couldn't help but think, how much is all this costing them? I thought boxed curricula, esp with teacher support, were pricey?

Her mother kicks @$$!!! Hats off! When her baby brother was born prematurely and she was feeding him every 2 hours around the clock, I thought for sure they would take a few weeks off. Nope. I felt pretty lazy there. I want her method for teaching reading!

It is weird how she calls her Mother. And calls the father Dad.

She seems to have fond memories of it all.

Those are my thoughts so far.

Th three hours per day thing is at the very beginning when she is talking about her "first grade" experience.

Here are links to the programs for her degrees. The American School one now has more requirements than when she got her degree. There is a distinct lack of sciences/math. The highest math she went through was geometry. There is no foreign language at all. After reading the book and looking at the course descriptions, I still (even more) have the opinion that this was a race to get masters degrees, not to create deeply educated children.

American School

https://www.americanschoolofcorr.com/collegeprep

BYU -scroll down a bit for Bachelor of Independent Studies

http://saas.byu.edu/catalog/archive/1998/info/Continuing_ed.html

Cal State DH - Master of arts in Humanities

http://www.csudh.edu/catalog/2001-2002/42%20Humanities.pdf

I must have read a different book to everyone else - I was inspired by it.

From her blog

First, set “real†school hours. At our house, school was in session from 8:30 a.m. until 11:30 a.m. Normally, that ended the school day. However, if anyone had not finished his work in that allotted time, he came back to school at 1:00 p.m. to complete his lessons. This schedule was a constant during the 25 years that I homeschooled. As the children grew older and their work became more advanced, we found it necessary to make some changes, but the school hours were written in stone. If, however, someone finished his work in less than the three hours allotted, he was “out of school†for the day.

Well, she seems to still be rocking BIG hair. Woot.

http://www.frontier2000.net/12027.html

And in addition to mortgages, she seems to self publish books that from the looks of it, really really need the assistance of a professional graphic design artist.

The proper term for that is Texas Hair. It's like there is something in the air there that mandates BIG hair. My dh's little tiny 80 year old grandmother has hair so big I worry it will one day snap her tiny neck. I have no idea how she sleeps or walks or doesn't hit door tops with it. I hear tell it is passed her bum when down, but who knows. She keeps it all bundled up on high like a mini white mount Olympus. :D

And in addition to mortgages, she seems to self publish books

One of them appears to be a writing curriculum -- I wonder if anyone's had a chance to take a look at it?

I think there were only so many schools, back in those days, especially, that offered master's degree by correspondence. I suspect that was a big part of the reason. I don't see the point of it, either, but I guess they needed something to do to pass the time?

The proper term for that is Texas Hair. It's like there is something in the air there that mandates BIG hair. My dh's little tiny 80 year old grandmother has hair so big I worry it will one day snap her tiny neck. I have no idea how she sleeps or walks or doesn't hit door tops with it. I hear tell it is passed her bum when down, but who knows. She keeps it all bundled up on high like a mini white mount Olympus. :D

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I tend to agree, though I am a little awed by the Swanns. (I've also not been overly impressed with Calvert, but that's a whole different discussion)

And now I will go to the incredibly shallow, cupcake punchy place and ask: What on earth possessed her to put that hair on the cover? Has she not had a photo taken since 1985?

Hello Glamour Shots! THIS is why I can't have short air. I, too, would look like Annie. This girl needs the Curly Girl book.

Yes. That was very much the norm or average for high school in the 80s and mid90s. I graduated with no foreign language, one earth science, and one personal finance course. And I was no where near the bottom of my 1000 something graduating class. My last two years of high school, weren't even at the high school for 1/2 the day. I went to computer programing tech school for the other 1/2.

Unless you showed an aptitude in maths and science and a desire to pursue that in college, if you showed a desire to attend college, then it was deemed unnecessary to insist on more maths and sciences.

I went to HS, in the 80's, in the sticks (rural, southern WV) and we were required to do much more to graduate. I'd always assume EVERYWHERE else had even higher standards.

The author stresses additional enrichment activities that don't take on away from home.

I have a recurring nightmare that involves homeschooling without ever leaving the house. I can't imagine never going anywhere or doing anything. ::shudder::

Clearly, the mom did an admirable job that would be beyond most people. It's not my thing, but it's certainly interesting. I wish I was that consistent and organized. I do think that part of The College Experience is managing your degree without needing your mother to organize everything for you. It sounds like Mom earned the same degree several times over. If you need mom to help with homework, you might not really be ready for college.

Of course, these kids certainly have time to pursue anything else that interests them.

"Mother" didn't set out to have them graduate early, get master's degrees at 16. However, regardless of HOW you homeschool, when you have kids "finishing" K-12 stuff early, the automatic thing is to go on to the next thing, college. I share that opinion. I can't make an 18 or 19yo do school (ha! obviously for those who know the situation with my oldest), but I can have a 15yo do so. And honestly, imo, that is one reason to go ahead and do it if the child is so inclined. My ds wasn't so we didn't do that, but I actually hope some/all of my littles can/do.

ETA: However, remember that my primary opinion is that homeschooling allows a child to go deeper and broader as well as faster. It can be a rich experience all the way through. Though my understanding is that Calvert is actually pretty good and is fairly broad, especially for a boxed curriculum, they seem to have jumped to the bare minimum for high school. I wouldn't do that, nor is it even kinda necessary these day.

Edited by 2J5M9K