Menu

A mild Stepford-Hive moment...

So, I'm sitting here in my office, doing some prep work for the upcoming school year:

I printed out FLL4 on my new duplexing printer/scanner/copier/fax machine. Then I printed a cover sheet on some yellow card stock for it. Then I ran the cover sheet and a plain back through my Purple Cow laminator. Now I'm about to punch some holes in the whole thing with my Pro-Click machine and put it into a spiral binder. Behind me are my new BILLY bookshelves from Ikea. And I've got one eye on a thread I started over in the Logic stage curriculum area about Critical Thinking.

And it occurred to me, suddenly: I have been assimilated.

;)

So, I'm sitting here in my office, doing some prep work for the upcoming school year:

I printed out FLL4 on my new duplexing printer/scanner/copier/fax machine. Then I printed a cover sheet on some yellow card stock for it. Then I ran the cover sheet and a plain back through my Purple Cow laminator. Now I'm about to punch some holes in the whole thing with my Pro-Click machine and put it into a spiral binder. Behind me are my new BILLY bookshelves from Ikea. And I've got one eye on a thread I started over in the Logic stage curriculum area about Critical Thinking.

;)

I don't have any of this stuff.

Although I do have a jar of Nutella in the kitchen, used a shopping cart and thought about pulling out my crockpot today. ;)

;)

Oh man, tell me how you did it. I have been trying for years to assimilate....but, I have that square peg in a round hole thing happening.

Oh man, tell me how you did it. I have been trying for years to assimilate....but, I have that square peg in a round hole thing happening.

Hmm, I wonder what it says about me that I don't have any of those items or make my own workbooks. I'm of the KISS method in just about everything anymore.

Maybe like Faithe says, square peg, round hole? I must be square too. I have none of those! Wait....I do have a laminator. It's in an unopened box in the basement. I can't, for the life of me, figure out why I ever bought it. Choclate is the one thing I can say I always have on hand....but the hive did not need to convince me on that!

Making workbooks *sounded* like a good idea to me at one time. This year I happily forked over cash for the Student Activity pages for TOG --in color (just to make the purchase as decadent and expensive as possible) . I think I once asked for recommendations about Pro-click. Maybe I need more peer pressure? Convince me I need these things. :bigear: Shiny new curriculum isn't doing for me anymore, so maybe the BILLY shelves will? :tongue_smilie:

What other new items does the hive think will make my homeschooling magically easier, more organized and enjoyable? I could certainly be talked into a housekeeper or cleaning service. Sadly Dh and our budget wouldn't agree.

I believe a bag of m&m's can be substituted for the pretzels and nutella. And of course, there's always the good ole' bag of plain chocolate chips!!

:iagree::lol: Although I believe low-carbers would also approve hummus and veggies in the fridge. :tongue_smilie:

I am LOL, OP. Me too. Just take a look at what I was doing right before reading this thread... :lol:

:iagree::lol: Although I believe low-carbers would also approve hummus and veggies in the fridge. :tongue_smilie:

I am LOL, OP. Me too. Just take a look at what I was doing right before reading this thread... :lol:

Forgive me. I've got a two year old. In the thumbnail size, those look like a row of potty seats. I thought, "What was she doing?"

I am putting thousands of papers into bound books this year. I need to finish history today. And everything else tomorrow.:001_huh:

Forgive me. I've got a two year old. In the thumbnail size, those look like a row of potty seats. I thought, "What was she doing?"

I am putting thousands of papers into bound books this year. I need to finish history today. And everything else tomorrow.:001_huh:

Those are 4 Desk Apprentices, now spray painted to (a) be color-coordinated for each kiddo, and (b) to match our schoolroom.

Those are 4 Desk Apprentices, now spray painted to (a) be color-coordinated for each kiddo, and (b) to match our schoolroom.

I did figure it out after clicked on it. I was just making fun of myself. I color code all my kids stuff, too. Dd2 will pick up a blue crayon and say, "This is Ds5's color." She has claimed pink for herself since blue, green, and red are already taken.

I did figure it out after clicked on it. I was just making fun of myself. I color code all my kids stuff, too. Dd2 will pick up a blue crayon and say, "This is Ds5's color." She has claimed pink for herself since blue, green, and red are already taken.

Aw, that's cute! I took purple for me, since DD claimed pink. I'm happy with purple.

I'm working my tail off today and all this weekend. I've been way too contemplative and reflective about school for too many weeks (and spent too much time on the boards too). I think am driving everyone I know insane with how reflective I've been. Stupid hormones are making me hypersensitive. :glare: I've even started to annoy myself. :lol: Anyway, I woke up this morning determined to get myself into overdrive and preparing the kids' first day of school stuff together is the happiest project on my list, so I started there. So far, so good.

Good luck to you as you get all your work done too!

That is awesome!!!!

I found a similar organizer at Michael's on clearance. It's white...it never occurred to me to spray paint it!! Off to look for lime green paint now....:001_smile:

That is awesome!!!!

I found a similar organizer at Michael's on clearance. It's white...it never occurred to me to spray paint it!! Off to look for lime green paint now....:001_smile:

I bought Rust-Oleum Painter's Touch Ultra Cover 2x Coverage Satin (says "also bonds to plastic" on the front) and it far exceeded my expectations. I only had to use one can per Desk Apprentice and those things are enormous! I fully expected to use 2 cans per DA and was hoping beyond hope it wouldn't take 3. I even did the insides with only 1 can! I am shocked and happy as a clam.

You got me all excited! I was thinking they made the DAs in different colors. Then I read that you painted them. :lol:

And yeah, we're color coordinated here, too. :tongue_smilie:

Holy cow! This are FABULOUS! I know what I'm doing this weekend!!

I don't know whether to bow down before your supreme assimilated awesomeness, or to run screaming in the other direction. :lol::lol::lol:

Must...resist...desk...apprentice...

I'm not sure how it happened. I resisted for so long, but then RegularDad bought me a laminator. It sat on a shelf for more than a year, unused. Then he used it to laminate a fishing license or something. And then my old printer died, so we bought a 4 in 1 thing, and it was only one small step away from pro-click.... and there you have it.

It snuck up on me, I guess. :P

;)

So jealous! Lol

I have yet to really use my laminator y'all talked me into getting.

But I was looking at the Planet Earth DVDs I got thanks to a tip on here from years ago and silently thanked the Hive for telling me about that. Although my kids don't really like them like you promised they would.

Edited by stripe

Wait....I do have a laminator. It's in an unopened box in the basement. I can't, for the life of me, figure out why I ever bought it.

See, this is how it starts. If you're not careful, you might wake up one day surrounded by empty Nutella jars and pro-click paraphernalia, holding a paint can and a desk apprentice, wondering what the heck happened. :lol:

As soon as I read your post I went on Amazon to price Pro-clicks lol! I have a laminator and use it all the time. To top it all off we were at Ikea last weekend, and because of the Hive I got all the Billy pamphlets and brought them home to measure for what I need. I do not have room for DAs though. So I will only be partially assimilated.