Menu

Boys tee shirts - where do you get yours?

DS is in size 6-7 and I'm finding that most mass market boy's tee shirts, which he lives in year round, are just not suitable. They're either sports (he's not sporty), pop culture/video games (I don't want him being a walking billboard for licensed characters), scary (skulls, etc.), or have obnoxious, bad-attitude sayings. Until last year I had no trouble with this. There seems to be a shift after size 5 and everything looks so much more harsh!

Last year, I bought half a dozen ocean-themed tees - octopus, shark, etc. -from Land's End and those have lasted well, but this year they don't have many tee shirts on their site. He likes animals, dinosaurs, nature, & sciency stuff.

Where do you shop for affordable, good quality boy's shirts that aren't objectionable in content?

Target has tons of plain, colored t-shirts for cheap. So does Old Navy. I don't buy high quality for my 11 year old because he is too rough. Threadless (online store) has a lot of fun shirts, but they run small and I buy a size up. Threadless also runs sales pretty often.

Edited by Mrs Mungo

I love Target. It's hit or miss for me at Gymboree - sometimes they tend to be "edgy" things, and that's not really us, either. I also found, through this forum, Naartjie. OMGosh, most of his wardrobe is going to be Naartjie from now on. So cute, and inexpensive during a sale. Also, very well made.

We do some Children's Place, as well. Things like their striped tees, or they had some cute monster face ones this summer that I bought.

DS is in size 6-7 and I'm finding that most mass market boy's tee shirts, which he lives in year round, are just not suitable. They're either sports (he's not sporty), pop culture/video games (I don't want him being a walking billboard for licensed characters), scary (skulls, etc.), or have obnoxious, bad-attitude sayings. Until last year I had no trouble with this. There seems to be a shift after size 5 and everything looks so much more harsh!

Last year, I bought half a dozen ocean-themed tees - octopus, shark, etc. -from Land's End and those have lasted well, but this year they don't have many tee shirts on their site. He likes animals, dinosaurs, nature, & sciency stuff.

Where do you shop for affordable, good quality boy's shirts that aren't objectionable in content?

:iagree: I've been so bummed with Lands End. Even their stuff is starting to look "harsh." Thanks for starting this thread.

Alley

I have been disappointed in Land's Ends offerings this year.

Our boys are sciency geeks and I have noticed that something with a pattern looks better longer than without. So, I've been searching museum websites for clearance sale shirts. I've been able to find some under $10.00, but if I can't get more than one, it's not worth the shipping.

Occasionally, Old Navy has some non-sport, non-obnoxious ones but that is a hit or miss proposition around here as well.

National Geographic has some great ones in youth sizes but unles you catch a 50% off sale, they are often $16.95 each. Their "Wanna Grab a Bite" shirt with a great white shark on the front is $12.95 or at least it was the other day.

Faith

My son wore this type of t-shirt in every available color for several years:

http://www.target.com/p/circo-boys-short-sleeve-chest-striped-tee-navy/-/A-13933847

http://www.target.com/p/circo-boys-short-sleeve-chest-striped-tee-grey/-/A-13933917

They usually go on sale right around or just after back-to-school season for $4, and I used to stock up then.

Target has tons of plain, colored t-shirts for cheap. So does Old Navy. I don't buy high quality for my 11 year old because he is too rough. Threadless (online store) has a lot of fun shirts, but they run small and I buy a size up. Threadless also runs sales pretty often.

Threadless looks like an awesome store, thanks for sharing!

Mine are repeats.. Kohl's, JcPenny, Hanna Anderson and Children's Place.

MiniBoden has some cute clearance options but all out of stock in size 7 - bummer!

Naartje is really cute, too!

Faith - any museums you recommend? I love the idea, and the NatGeo cheetah shirt is perfect for DS! :)

My budget is around $10 per shirt.

90% of our T-shirts come from the local thrift store.

The thrift store here is great for shorts and jeans but gets very few good tees. Lots of school, camp, and event tee shirts. He just doesn't need a shirt to a camp he hasn't been to, KWIM? :)

We shop at Gymboree for most of our little boy shirts. They have lines with animals, planes, and ocean themes nearly every summer. I just bought a few shirts for 2.99 at the outlet store that had surf boards on them.

Target usually has plain striped t-shirts for around $3 on sale.

There is a shift, but keep looking and know that you will have to shop at multiple stores now to find suitable shirts.

I live near a source of wholesale t's in south georgia, so I used to buy by the large lot and make my own designs. I started out with classic comic book covers, like the one attached, then moved on to reproductions of michaelangelo drawings and photos of favorite cars, etc.... Art supply stores and now fedex kinkos have computerized copy machines that make color transfers and apply them. For my mom's 90th birthday I made one with her photo as a 26 year old on the front and as an 80 year old on the back.

post-54169-13535087252444_thumb.jpg

Edited by mathwonk

A friend suggested Woot! and OMgoodness! Perfect for the geeky kid! :D

$15 each, so a bit more than I was hoping, but we're getting:

db330bfc-e395-455c-9006-593660e405dd.png

and 33188a9e-3282-46c5-8bf2-90d5a31a05b2.png

and 6aa4052d-b127-4716-be69-2d46bc7dc7aa.png

We're getting a few from Threadless, too, and will have a good selection for DS. He's so happy with the options out there!

A friend suggested Woot! and OMgoodness! Perfect for the geeky kid! :D

$15 each, so a bit more than I was hoping, but we're getting:

db330bfc-e395-455c-9006-593660e405dd.png

and 33188a9e-3282-46c5-8bf2-90d5a31a05b2.png

and 6aa4052d-b127-4716-be69-2d46bc7dc7aa.png

We're getting a few from Threadless, too, and will have a good selection for DS. He's so happy with the options out there!

Oh wow! I love these! Must get some for my guy. Thanks for sharing!

Another fun place to look is ThinkGeek they have a ton of fun science type t-shirts. We mainly get DS' from Target (but we let him get character shirts), Carters still has stuff in this size too and has a bunch of various options, and Children's Place.

$15 for a week of shirts? lol No way. Those are cute, but for gifts, Christmas, etc.

I bought really nice ones (on sale for my nephew ) at Gymboree (labout $4.99). I don't kow what some folks think are wrong with the Lands' End ones (Sale was awesome. Maybe 3.99 for each one?) , but I bought several for previoulsy mentioned child. They were of fish, bikes, crabs, bats, spiders, or whatnot etc. They are super-cute, and he loved them all.

$15 for a week of shirts? lol No way. Those are cute, but for gifts, Christmas, etc.

I bought really nice ones (on sale for my nephew ) at Gymboree (labout $4.99). I don't kow what some folks think are wrong with the Lands' End ones (Sale was awesome. Maybe 3.99 for each one?) , but I bought several for previoulsy mentioned child. They were of fish, bikes, crabs, bats, spiders, or whatnot etc. They are super-cute, and he loved them all.

Where did you see $3.99 Land's End shirts and $4.99 Gymboree?! I've spent the better part of the day searching for tees I didn't see them with any the things you mentioned!

Gymboree has two surf themed shirts for $5.99 - although my son wouldn't wear those because he doesn't like sports shirts - and the rest are $10-$15 on average. Same thing with Lands End, which has been my go-to for DS until this year - very few tees, none with animals, all starting at $10.

I buy 7-10 new tee shirts for DS twice a year, and I'm okay with spending a reasonable amount to get him something he'll enjoy wearing and that will last through the washing machine! In the winter he wears plain long sleeves underneath the tees, and plain hoodies over them, and both of those I can get for $2-4 at the thrift store. If I spend a few more dollars on the tees, it still all evens out.

We're all set with 2 Woot shirts (skipped the angler fish), 3 Threadless tees, 3 Carters short sleeve and 3 "layered look" long sleeve tees to cut into short sleeves. We can actually layer if he needs it. :lol:

Thanks for all the great suggestions! There were a lot more options than I was aware of and DS is quite happy with the selection for his back to school clothes. I hadn't heard of Crazy 8, Naartje, or Threadless, and had just forgotten that Carters had big boy stuff. Yay!

This might be my (non-Woot) favorite:

636x460design_01.jpg