Menu

Calling all Cloth Diapering Mommas (or Daddys)

:iagree: with Carrie. That is the cheapest way. But Kawaii diapers are a pretty cheap pocket diaper (that means that they go on more like a disposable) and I've had really good luck with them. You can get them from their web store (I think it's called Ilovemybaby) or you can buy them on ebay. If you buy one or two dozen at a time, the per diaper price is really cheap. The one size diapers probably won't fit a new baby until around 12 lbs. I suggest some prefolds with covers or disposables for a newborn.

Prefolds and Bummis wraps are the simplest and cheapest. Thirsties has a good reputation, too.

By size medium I preferred a switch to AIOs or pockets, but watch reviews so you don't go for low quality diapers that are just going to wear out soon.

Indian prefolds with Thirsties or Econobums covers. I can't think of a cheaper system unless you make your own.

:iagree: with Carrie. That is the cheapest way. But Kawaii diapers are a pretty cheap pocket diaper (that means that they go on more like a disposable) and I've had really good luck with them. You can get them from their web store (I think it's called Ilovemybaby) or you can buy them on ebay. If you buy one or two dozen at a time, the per diaper price is really cheap. The one size diapers probably won't fit a new baby until around 12 lbs. I suggest some prefolds with covers or disposables for a newborn.

:iagree::iagree::iagree: Prefolds with pins or Snappis (for the pin-phobic) and Dappi covers are the cheapest, Thirsties covers are great to trifold prefolds in and not use pins or Snappis at all, and Kawaiis are super cheap and I rarely read a complaint about them if she wants something a little "nicer" and more intuitive.

BUT NOT GERBER PREFOLDS!!!!!!!! Those things don't deserve the name "prefold." Get Little Lions or Green Mountain Diapers or Econobum prefolds. Little Lions often has "seconds" on a steep discount, and I've never seen more than a little run in them. I have a ton here that I've had for about 2 years and they look and feel about new.

Edited by LittleIzumi

I would try 2-3 different covers, because what worked for DS1 did not work for DD. In fact, the covers I disliked for DS1 worked beautifully on DD, and the ones I liked for DS1 did not fit her body shape well. They were the same size, but had different rises, etc. and different covers fit each of them differently. DS2 fit in most of our remaining covers.

I liked greenmountaindiaper prefolds best of all. http://www.greenmountaindiapers.com/

Flats are even cheaper than prefolds.

The *absolute* cheapest route, without sacrificing quality, is flats + Dappi Nylon covers. (No vinyl...vinyl is evil!) This combo is practically leak-proof too...much more reliable then AIO or pockets, etc...

For a cloth newbie, I'd splurge on some thirsties covers. (I'd get the adjustable sizes...starting with size 1 which is nb through 9mo-ish.)

Flats do have a learning curve with folding, but you can just fold them into rectangles and lay in a cover - just the same as prefolds. And, you can experiment with different folds to get a good, snug fit at any size. And, they *wash* extremely easy. (Prefolds, AIO, pockets, fitteds, etc...all have their own quirks when it comes to washing.)

I am expecting another baby, and we have hard water here. I am going mainly with flats.;) (and I sew diapers...so have all the options inexpensively at my fingertips) I'll feed my need for "pretty fluff" with covers.

Greenmountain diapers is where I will order when I'm ready to admit that I am indeed expecting this baby and will need to feed and clothe and diaper him/her.:001_smile:

I have Chinese prefolds and Flats and Dappi's pull-on covers. I also have some more expensive covers bought for #1 but mostly I use the pull-ons now. I also use snappis. Pre-folds and flats really aren't that hard, dh figured it out easy enough and I watched videos when learning folds

Prefolds and Bummis wraps are the simplest and cheapest.

This is what we've used, and I love them. If there's enough money in the budget, there are some nicer prefolds (softer, and fit longer) sold at Green Mountain Diaper and Diaper Junction. But we got by just fine with dd with cheap ones from Cotton Babies.

I recommend getting a bunch of sherpa wipes, enough that extras can be used as doublers.

I was going to mention flats as the cheapest route as well. And I LOVE me some Thirsties covers!

I also came cross these Alva Baby pockets recently. They're only $5-$6 a piece and they're one-size! I haven't used mine yet (my baby is still too little--plus, I love prefolds and flats for newborns--totally blowout-proof!), but they seem decent. Not as nice as Bum Genius, by any means, but not bad for the price.

Gerber prefolded gauze diapers (what I used with my babies) and diaper pins.

Waterproof pants

It would be most convenient for her if she had about five doz. diapers. And the best products to use for washing them are Amway (detergent, bleach, fabric softener--also what I used with my babies).

I'm shocked by how much those diaper covers cost. :blink: Plastic pants worked fine for me (and the millions of other young mothers, back in the day, lol).

:iagree::iagree::iagree: Prefolds with pins or Snappis (for the pin-phobic) and Dappi covers are the cheapest, Thirsties covers are great to trifold prefolds in and not use pins or Snappis at all, and Kawaiis are super cheap and I rarely read a complaint about them if she wants something a little "nicer" and more intuitive.

BUT NOT GERBER PREFOLDS!!!!!!!! Those things don't deserve the name "prefold." Get Little Lions or Green Mountain Diapers or Econobum prefolds. Little Lions often has "seconds" on a steep discount, and I've never seen more than a little run in them. I have a ton here that I've had for about 2 years and they look and feel about new.

Yup. I will say I would NOT try to use Econobum prefolds on a newborn, no way no how. They are way way too big. Little Lions or Green Mountain Diapers are great, and both often have seconds for sale that are just as good as the regular.

Oh, I do like the Econobum covers for a cheap cover. But they don't have gussets, so I don't think I'd use them on an infant with runny breastfed poop.

I would try 2-3 different covers, because what worked for DS1 did not work for DD. In fact, the covers I disliked for DS1 worked beautifully on DD, and the ones I liked for DS1 did not fit her body shape well. They were the same size, but had different rises, etc. and different covers fit each of them differently. DS2 fit in most of our remaining covers.

I liked greenmountaindiaper prefolds best of all. http://www.greenmountaindiapers.com/

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

With my son Proraps fit perfectly. They didn't fit my daughter at all. With her I used Thirsties mostly. Right now we use mostly sunbabies pocket diapers. They are only about $5 each.

Ok, I'm looking at the Sunbaby site and which inserts should I get? Blend, bamboo, or microfiber?

microfiber. I have the blend and they are NOT as absorbant, not at all, and get all twisted after washing. I've heard the plain bamboo are even worse as far as getting twisted up. I wish I'd gotten the microfiber for all of them. Oh, and go ahead and get the package with two inserts per diaper if at all possible, as eventually you will need two, for toddlers. Other brand inserts dont' fit well in their pockets.

microfiber. I have the blend and they are NOT as absorbant, not at all, and get all twisted after washing. I've heard the plain bamboo are even worse as far as getting twisted up. I wish I'd gotten the microfiber for all of them. Oh, and go ahead and get the package with two inserts per diaper if at all possible, as eventually you will need two, for toddlers. Other brand inserts dont' fit well in their pockets.

Thanks!

Ok, I'm looking at the Sunbaby site and which inserts should I get? Blend, bamboo, or microfiber?

I always stuff my pockets with infant prefolds. Microfiber starts to stink very easily and is way harder to get clean and nice-smelling than anything else I've used in my diapers (cotton, hemp, bamboo, etc). Otherwise I like bamboo.

I actually really like microfiber. I always wash them in hot with a dab of bleach so I don't have stink issues. If you are opposed to the use of chlorine bleach or if you have hard water and wish to only use all natural detergent that lacks chelating agents, then you probably will want to skip microfiber. Bamboo is nice too though. I'm not crazy about hemp because they get super stiff if you line dry. Also, fyi, front loaders to not get along well with cloth diapers. The sunbaby inserts, ime, will not be enough once baby gets to the 9-12 month range so you may want to plan ahead for doublers.

I actually really like microfiber. I always wash them in hot with a dab of bleach so I don't have stink issues. If you are opposed to the use of chlorine bleach or if you have hard water and wish to only use all natural detergent that lacks chelating agents, then you probably will want to skip microfiber. Bamboo is nice too though. I'm not crazy about hemp because they get super stiff if you line dry. Also, fyi, front loaders to not get along well with cloth diapers. The sunbaby inserts, ime, will not be enough once baby gets to the 9-12 month range so you may want to plan ahead for doublers.

Ours is so very hard and full of minerals. I'm a bit jealous of people who don't get mineral deposits in the evaporation area when a cup of water is left out for the afternoon. :glare:

I think Little Lions is out of prefolds...they're going out of business. They still have fitted diapers for $66/dozen (price shows up when you add them to your cart) which is a great price. Fitteds go on like sposies but need a cover. If she's not up for prefolds that's a pretty good price and she might even be able to get away with just smalls and mediums (they run kind of big) though close to age 2.

You can buy gently used covers for half the price of new at the previously mentioned website. Dappis are great for explosive poops though I prefer aplix (like velcro) covers myself. Personally I wouldn't use Thirsties again as they fit my baby horribly and I can't see them fitting any baby who doesn't have a huge belly well, but YMMV. I like the Bummis Super Whisper Wraps.

Oh and Flips (http://www.cottonbabies.com) are pretty inexpensive overall if she wants something easier since they're one size. I imagine they'd be at least as cheap as GMD (Green Mountain Diapers) prefolds by the time you get through buying 4 sizes of prefolds and covers.

Oh boy this is getting complicated :). I didn't mean to hijack this thread but what's this about front loading machines and cloth diapers?

Mostly because they use less water. You can cd with a front loader but it will present more challenges. You'll probably need to do a pre rinse, maybe 2, and possibly an extra post rinse.

Mostly because they use less water. You can cd with a front loader but it will present more challenges. You'll probably need to do a pre rinse, maybe 2, and possibly an extra post rinse.

It would be more time-efficient and ultimately more effective to get a bucket and some tall gloves and prewash them twice (changing the water) by hand in the bucket to get most of the stuff out before putting them into a front loader. Then the front loader only has to get out the last of it. (Clearly I do not think much of front loaders.)

My suggestion, Jillian's Drawers has a sampler kit that you can try for $10. They also sell diapers that come back from their sampler packs, gently used. To me it depends on the person, their washing habits, and the size of the baby. I love hemp liners for absorbency, but they need to be washed a dozen times before you get the oils out. In the end I bought adjustable size covers with liners for my boys.

I have a front loader. I rinsed in cold first and did an extra short warm water wash in place of an extra rinse.

Edited by melmichigan

It would be more time-efficient and ultimately more effective to get a bucket and some tall gloves and prewash them twice (changing the water) by hand in the bucket to get most of the stuff out before putting them into a front loader. Then the front loader only has to get out the last of it. (Clearly I do not think much of front loaders.)

Agreed! I had a top loader with my first baby and cd'ing went very smoothly, with all kinds of diapers. With baby #2 we had a front loader and it was so complicated: stink issues, rash, etc, even with cotton. Now with baby #3 we have a top loader again and I'm so happy!

I don't care what anyone says, you NEED water to really wash clothes. You can't just saturate everything and then toss it around--it needs to be immersed and sloshed.

Here's a list of front loaders and wash routines that work with them (with a particular detergent). If you have one of the washers on there, you're set. Otherwise, you may want to check diaperswappers for posts about your specific washer, or you can extrapolate from that chart what might work with your washer.

Not all front loaders are created equal, but you're going to have much less trouble getting flats or prefolds clean than all-in-ones or fitteds -- or even pockets, if they have synthetics (like microfiber) in them.

My suggestion, Jillian's Drawers has a sampler kit that you can try for $10. They also sell diapers that come back from their sampler packs, gently used. To me it depends on the person, their washing habits, and the size of the baby. I love hemp liners for absorbency, but they need to be washed a dozen times before you get the oils out. In the end I bought adjustable size covers with liners for my boys.

I have a front loader. I rinsed in cold first and did an extra short warm water wash in place of an extra rinse.

Aren't there a couple of other online stores that have packages like this?

Aren't there a couple of other online stores that have packages like this?

I imagine there are. I support them because they are a living wage certified.

Re front loading washers: On many of the models (my Maytag included) you can manually add more water to the cycle. There is a spot in the back of the drawer that you can pour hot water from a pitcher into to raise the water level, or add hot water to a soak cycle, since my machine will only soak with warm. ;)

Edited by melmichigan