Menu

ARGH!

Bought my Dyson back in May.

Now, it's not working properly. The hose has constant suction, it doesn't transfer to the beater bar, ever.

Followed all the trouble shooting tips...cleaned beater bar, checked for blockages, did filters...nope.

After being on hold forever and a day, discover that the da*n thing has to go in for repairs. So, I'll be w/out a vaccuum cleaner for 2 wks or so. W/Boo wanting to learn to crawl. And Cassie, our Great Pyr x Akbash (think polar bear like fur).

Yeah. Great. Thanks so much. I spent the extra $$ on a Dyson b/c it was supposed to be reliable, etc. And 3 mths of use, it's screwed. I flat out asked if they couldn't send me a replacement, and nope, not an option.

GRRRR!

I'm assuming you tried pressing the "Reset" button on the beater bar? Didn't see that one mentioned and just thought I'd ask before you go two weeks without the vaccum... :)

Beater bar spins fine. It's the actual suction that isn't happening. It won't switch from the suction being in the hose, to the beater bar.

I had great service for my Dyson but that was in Europe. The only problem I had was arranging for the service since I lived in Belgium and while I spoke some French, not that well to describe the problem. I ended up calling the Vlanderen line and getting someone who spoke English. They sent someone to the house and replaced the part and then it worked fine.

Beater bar spins fine. It's the actual suction that isn't happening. It won't switch from the suction being in the hose, to the beater bar.

The beater bar automatically stops transferring the suction and won't turn while in use if something gets even a tiny bit stuck in it. It will not resume transferring the suction unless you hit the reset button - the bar will still turn manually, but not when in use. (On my Dyson it's a teeny-tiny recessed red button on the left side of the beater bar - have to use a pencil or something smaller than a finger to press it). If you haven't found or tried it, give it a go...

The other transfer of suction from beater bar to hose happens with the foot press in back. I do sometimes have trouble transferring power the other way - to the hose. You can see the mechanism if you take off the base of the hose where it attaches. If it doesn't click into place all the way, the transfer doesn't happen. Mine is a number of years old now, but I do think some of the plastic parts are flimsier than they should be.

Will the store you bought it at allow you to exchange it?

Bought it from the Dyson website.

The beater bar automatically stops transferring the suction and won't turn while in use if something gets even a tiny bit stuck in it. It will not resume transferring the suction unless you hit the reset button - the bar will still turn manually, but not when in use. (On my Dyson it's a teeny-tiny recessed red button on the left side of the beater bar - have to use a pencil or something smaller than a finger to press it). If you haven't found or tried it, give it a go...

The other transfer of suction from beater bar to hose happens with the foot press in back. I do sometimes have trouble transferring power the other way - to the hose. You can see the mechanism if you take off the base of the hose where it attaches. If it doesn't click into place all the way, the transfer doesn't happen. Mine is a number of years old now, but I do think some of the plastic parts are flimsier than they should be.

No, it spins all on it's own, just as it should, there's just no suction.

When you pop the wand back in does it "click" in to place? Once something was stuck in the hose of mine, and I realized it wasn't fully engaged.

But that stinks. I LOVE my Dyson but I only buy vacuums at Costco just in case LOL

When you pop the wand back in does it "click" in to place? Once something was stuck in the hose of mine, and I realized it wasn't fully engaged.

But that stinks. I LOVE my Dyson but I only buy vacuums at Costco just in case LOL

Yup, everything snaps into place.

I know there are many Dyson fans here but all it took was my cleaning the house for a friend when her dh was dying from cancer. i would NEVER spend the money on one. After she had hers for a year (no animals) hers broke and it was going to cost $150 for a small part. I was highly unimpressed by it's performance, and it felt cheap all around. It DEFINITELY did no better than my far cheaper vacuums. I know I told you what I had at the time but I found an even more powerful one since, a Windtunnel MAX. I've had it about a year and a half and it still sucks so strong. Just this weekend I was annoyed at dd12 for not picking up her markers and pens. They got sucked RIGHT up and never interfered with performance. It also suctions VERY well with no beater brush on hard surfaces, and does an exceptional job on carpets....... Which I hope to be rid of 100% SOON!

Sorry..... I would never buy a Dyson.

Ugh...I JUST ordered one yesterday!!! I was deciding between the DC41 Animal and the DC28 Animal. Went with the DC28 Animal because it was lower priced but seemed to offer everything the same but the pretty "ball" feature.

Which one did you all have or use that you didn't like? What should I get if not the Dyson? I think I can still cancel my order. I have house full of carpet, three boys and a white lab who sheds a small bunny everyday. I need a POWERFUL vacuum and want one that will last more than two years.

I was liking the Dyson, and liking the 5 year warranty.

I have had my Dyson for 6 years now with no problems. However with coat blowing season sometimes those hairballs are too much with 2 ASD's in the house plus the rest of the critters.

I did get a jam just a few weeks ago where I had to take it apart to get the hair ball. Once out it worked just fine again. So sorry to hear you are having trouble though.

We have a cheaper model vac for the upstairs that my daughter HATES! She is saving money to get her own Dyson.

I asked the guy I take my vcs to for repairs what he thought of the Dyson. He pretty much said they are not great and way overpriced for what you get.

That is what my repair shop says. He says it is a Hoover with a BMW price tag.

Our repair guy would say :iagree:. The last time I had mine repaired it cost about $100. I was talking to him about buying a new vacuum vs repairing mine. We talked about various brands in the $400+ range (what I would expect to spend)and the pros/cons. He didn't have a kind word for Dyson, at. all.

I have a Riccar that is 15yo. I have had it in for maintenance twice and everything was fixable and it still runs like a dream.