Menu

s/o song thread... craziest misheard lyrics

Elton John... "Blinded by the light, wrapped up like a douche (I think it's deuce?)

Thanks for clarifying this one for me. I still thought it sounded like douche, knew it had to be something else but had no idea what.:lol:

ETA: But, what does "wrapped up like a deuce" mean?

Edited by Lea in OK

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a nasty reputation for getting lyrics wrong. :glare:

Two of my more famous ones:

"Dirty Deeds and the Thunderchief" (cool song about Native Americans, right?)

Hahahaha, so funny you said that because DH likes to tease me about this song. I am terrible at hearing lyrics and I don't care...I just sing what comes out. For the longest time I sang "Dirty Feet, dundle cheat" (don't ask what dundle cheat is...) :D

I thought in Pat Benetar's son Fire and Ice she was saying "Beauregard" not the words "fire and ice". I even named my bird Beauregard because of it.

My husband thought the song "I'm all Right' (I don't remember who sang it but it's i'm all right--don't nobody worry 'bout me...)said Ham on Rye.

LOL It was Kenny Loggins. :)

My little one also goofed up the Silent Night lyrics, but for the opposite reason. Instead of having a big vocabulary, she had a small vocabulary. She sang "Round yon your chin, mother and child." Since she didn't really sing this alone, but at church in a group, and the way we knew she had it wrong was that she reverently touched her chin on the word chin.

This is the same girl that solemnly sang the hymn "Bringing in the Cheese" instaed of Bringing in the Sheaves. I should've asked her what that hymn meant.

I didn't goof it up, but I heard that "There's a Bad Moon on the Rise" can be "There's a bathroom on the right."

:lol::lol: I'll never hear that song the same way again. hehehe

I can't resist chiming in. You all are so funny.

For years, my dh thought the line from Elton John's song was "rolling like flounder under the covers" (instead of "thunder"). I laugh every time I hear that song. He said it always made perfect sense to him.

When my sister was little my mom realized something sounded funny when she sang the verse "I've got the peace that passes understanding down in my heart" (from the church song "I've got the joy, joy, joy, joy down in my heart.") Upon close listening it turned out my sister was singing "I've got a piece of pastor's understanding down in my heart."

:lol::lol::lol: Too cute and true! I'm glad you chimed in. :)

You ladies are all so funny. :lol:

Thanks for clarifying this one for me. I still thought it sounded like douche, knew it had to be something else but had no idea what.:lol:

It's "racked up like a deuce" as in, when you're gambling with dice, a deuce is snake-eyes (I think?) and it gets racked up so fast - your chance is gone just like that.

Blinded by the light

Racked up like a deuce, another roller in the night . . . .

The only reason I know that is because someone explained it on TV years ago. Otherwise I also thought it said "wrapped up like a douche" and was like :confused:

The Beatles... "The girl with colitis goes by" (the girl with kaliedoscope eyes)

Elton John... "Blinded by the light, wrapped up like a douche (I think it's deuce?)

The song was originally written by Bruce Springsteen. The lyrics are "Cut loose like a deuce, another runner in the night" A deuce is a 1932 Ford Hotrod. He clarified it on Behind on the music on Vh1. I am a huge Boss fan!

The song was originally written by Bruce Springsteen. The lyrics are "Cut loose like a deuce, another runner in the night" A deuce is a 1932 Ford Hotrod. He clarified it on Behind on the music on Vh1. I am a huge Boss fan!

OK now I have to look this up. I swear I didn't make up what I wrote above.

ETA, most of the internet sources say "revved up like a deuce" but they are not entirely consistent either. Too funny!

Edited by SKL

ETA, most of the internet sources say "revved up like a deuce" but they are not entirely consistent either. Too funny!

He definitely says "Cut Loose like a deuce" in concert. Here is a video. Blinded by the light starts about 9:14 I think. http://www.vh1.com/video/misc/177957/storytellers-devils-and-dust-and-blinded-by-the-light.jhtmlhttp://

I think this might be the Manfred Mann version. That's the one I heard first and I always thought it was ripped up like a douche. Yeah, I didn't get it at all. :tongue_smilie:

I think this might be the Manfred Mann version. That's the one I heard first and I always thought it was ripped up like a douche. Yeah, I didn't get it at all. :tongue_smilie:

Mann says ""revved up like a deuce" but most people mistake it for douche.

"The song is notable for lead vocalist Chris Thompson’s garbled enunciation, especially of the phrase “revved up like a deuce†which has led many fans to interpret it as “wrapped up like a doucheâ€. The original Springsteen lyric is neither of the above, instead being “cut loose like a deuceâ€. Springsteen once attributed the popularity of the Manfred Mann version partially to Thompson’s enunciation."

http://www.last.fm/music/Manfred+Mann%27s+Earth+Band/_/Blinded+By+The+Light

... you and me and Leslie, cruising on a Sunday afternoon...

Oh well, to each their own I thought ...until my husband set the record straight and told me it was "endlessly" ;-)

Wait... It's not Leslie? :huh: :lol:

And I totally thought it was Secret Asian Man, too.

Others, but I think these are pretty common:

"Do it like a lady!" ("dude looks like a lady", Aerosmith)

"Bob Errann" ("Barbara Anne", The Beach Boys)

I'm sure there are tons more. I have bad hearing. ;)

My dh always hears the lyrics wrong so he laughed his head off when he first heard Lionel Richie sing, Oh what a feeling when we're dancing on the ceiling. He knew that couldn't be right and wondered what the "real" lyrics must be. :lol:

My dh always hears the lyrics wrong so he laughed his head off when he first heard Lionel Richie sing, Oh what a feeling when we're dancing on the ceiling. He knew that couldn't be right and wondered what the "real" lyrics must be. :lol:
:lol::lol:

I haven't read all the responses yet. Did anyone mention the bathroom on the right for bad moon on the rise?

They actually did! :D hehehehe

Not sure if this one has been asked yet but is it "But the kid is not my son" or is it "But Chad is not my son" (Billy Jean by Michael Jackson)

And has anyone ever been able to successfully decode the song "Footloose"....here's how I sing it

"So I gotta cut loose, Footloose...kick off my Sunday shoes...wee honey....hold me up by my feet...jack get back...fun on the four wheel track...loose your loose.....

ho, I know....cmon cmon lets go....shake the shick do my eeees...."

Seriously, I have never been able to figure that song out...

ETA: Yes, I do speak English LOL

Not sure if this one has been asked yet but is it "But the kid is not my son" or is it "But Chad is not my son" (Billy Jean by Michael Jackson)

And has anyone ever been able to successfully decode the song "Footloose"....here's how I sing it

"So I gotta cut loose, Footloose...kick off my Sunday shoes...wee honey....hold me up by my feet...jack get back...fun on the four wheel track...loose your loose.....

ho, I know....cmon cmon lets go....shake the shick do my eeees...."

Seriously, I have never been able to figure that song out...

ETA: Yes, I do speak English LOL

:lol::lol::lol:

These are too funny!

My favorite is when my ds (who has a speech delay) sings about the fruits of the spirit:

"love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, CINNAMON, and self control"

Hope you all have plenty of cinnamon in your lives! :tongue_smilie:

I was very relieved one day to find out that in Bennie and the Jets what she really has are electric BOOTS (I thought it was something else).

Not that that song makes any sense even if you know the words.

My kids are sure that video queued the radio star.

My kids love the Billy Joel Song Only the Good Die Young but it's because when my oldest was about 6 we moved to Virginia and he was convinced that Billy was singing about our new state.

My brother used to sing "burn again" at the top of his lungs when ever he heard the Four Tops song "Bernadette"

and for Mykdsmommy, Here you go. Those elusive footloose lyrics for you.

Footloose, kick off the Sunday shoes

Please, Louise, pull me off of my knees

Jack, get back, come on before we crack

Lose your blues, everybody cut footloose (footloose)

and the other chorus is

Cut loose, footloose, kick off the Sunday shoes

Ooh-wee Marie shake it, shake it for me

Woah, Milo come on, come on let's go

Lose your blues, everybody cut footloose

My kids love the Billy Joel Song Only the Good Die Young but it's because when my oldest was about 6 we moved to Virginia and he was convinced that Billy was singing about our new state.

My brother used to sing "burn again" at the top of his lungs when ever he heard the Four Tops song "Bernadette"

and for Mykdsmommy, Here you go. Those elusive footloose lyrics for you.

Footloose, kick off the Sunday shoes

Please, Louise, pull me off of my knees

Jack, get back, come on before we crack

Lose your blues, everybody cut footloose (footloose)

and the other chorus is

Cut loose, footloose, kick off the Sunday shoes

Ooh-wee Marie shake it, shake it for me

Woah, Milo come on, come on let's go

Lose your blues, everybody cut footloose

Well that makes a lot more sense than what I was singing :lol: thank you :)

I was very relieved one day to find out that in Bennie and the Jets what she really has are electric BOOTS (I thought it was something else).

Not that that song makes any sense even if you know the words.

My kids are sure that video queued the radio star.

I thought it was electric "moves." :D But yeah, it does sound like "something else."

Crocodile rock: I messed up a lot of the words, but the only one that actually sounded like actual words was:

Lordy lordy, those Friday nights, when Susie wore her dress a$$-tight (actually, dresses tight), crocodilerockinwas ooooooouta siiiiiiiight.....

(I don't even like that song, but my kids do.)

:lol::lol: Those are great!

You know Adele's song Fire to the Rain? My dh thought it went, "I let it fall, my heart, and Lucifer rose to claim it." :001_huh: I was like, "uh no hon. That's not quite right." :lol::lol::lol:

:rofl:

My four year old sings the "I'm sexy and I know it" as "I septic I know it":lol: but he has a lisp

I thought it was electric "moves." :D But yeah, it does sound like "something else."

Crocodile rock: I messed up a lot of the words, but the only one that actually sounded like actual words was:

Lordy lordy, those Friday nights, when Susie wore her dress a$$-tight (actually, dresses tight), crocodilerockinwas ooooooouta siiiiiiiight.....

(I don't even like that song, but my kids do.)

I thought he was saying 'I never knew Peter Valentine' and wondered who the heck he was talking about. LOL

Actual: I never knew me a better type

And I totally thought Bennie and the Jets had Electric B00ks instead of boots too. :lol:

Not mine, but my brothers friend thought the lyrics to the VanHalen song "Panama" was "Call your ma" :lol:

My sister thought that the lyrics from the Grease song "your the one that I want" went like this

I've got chills there multiplying

and I'm losin' control

cause the power your supplyin

It's Frankenstein :001_huh:

and the one that I always messed up was the Neil Diamond song "Forever in Blue Jeans" I thought he was talking about some pastor named "Reverend Blue Jeans" :D

Yep, I have always thought it was douche. I still do. What else could it be? Ok, I finally know about the deuce thing! I am so enlightened now! I can't wait to tell my husband--he agreed it was douche.

Edited by Momma H
Aha read other threads

All of your responses have me :lol: :lol:

My husband swears that Nelly is actually singing about a "promiscuous squirrel" as opposed to a promiscuous girl. I can't here that song without thinking of wildly mating rodents!

:lol::lol: The wildly mating rodents must be muskrat love. ;) :D

When my mother was a kid, she thought Silent Night said, "Sleep in Heavenly Peas" and she could picture the baby Jesus in a cradle filled with peas.

I thought the Madonna song said "Last night I dreamt of Sun Paved Roads" instead of San Pedro.

When my mother was a kid, she thought Silent Night said, "Sleep in Heavenly Peas" and she could picture the baby Jesus in a cradle filled with peas.

I thought the Madonna song said "Last night I dreamt of Sun Paved Roads" instead of San Pedro.

LOL :lol:

I have Nirvana's Smells Like Teen Spirit on my iphone and it came on while we were in the car the other day and Indy asked why the guy kept asking for potatoes. I was :confused::confused: and he said "Here we are feed us potatoes! Didn't you hear it?" The actual lyrics are "Here we are now entertain us." :lol:

I had a college roommate who was convinced the song Tempted's lyrics Tempted by the Fruit of Another was Tempted by the B00bs of Your Mother. OMG, we nearly died when we heard that! Any time the song comes on now I think of that. :lol::lol::lol:

"Lucille" by Kenny Rogers. I always thought it was "400 children and crops in the field." :lol:

Me too and I was like - well, no wonder his pissed off that she left him!

Until this thread I thought I was the only one who googled lyrics I misheard when I was a kid to get them straight in my head.

My daughter, 9 now, used to think a song by the Newsboys said

"Wherever we go that's where the potty's at"

We still sing it that way because it's such a fun(ny) memory.

:lol:

I used to think "Wake Me Up Before You Go Go" by Wham! was "Wake Me Up And Pour Me Cocoa". I was way older than I should admit before I figured this one out.

LOL I wish someone would make me cocoa. :p

I have Nirvana's Smells Like Teen Spirit on my iphone and it came on while we were in the car the other day and Indy asked why the guy kept asking for potatoes. I was and he said "Here we are feed us potatoes! Didn't you hear it?" The actual lyrics are "Here we are now entertain us." :lol:

Too funny! :lol:

I had a college roommate who was convinced the song Tempted's lyrics Tempted by the Fruit of Another was Tempted by the B00bs of Your Mother. OMG, we nearly died when we heard that! Any time the song comes on now I think of that. :lol::lol::lol:

Oh my gosh! :ohmy: That is hilarious! hehehehe

Me too and I was like - well, no wonder his pissed off that she left him!

Until this thread I thought I was the only one who googled lyrics I misheard when I was a kid to get them straight in my head.

hehehehehe Nope you're not the only one. Until I saw someone else's post about Margaritaville, I was convinced that he had lost his jiggery saw. I mean a jig saw is a real tool right? He was probably building a boat or something down in Key West. When I googled the lyrics it was "shaker of salt". hehehehe