Menu

What's your bedtime reading this week?

I am reading How Green Was My Valley (I admit to having never picked it up because I assumed it was a *western* :blushing: ... something like The Big Valley or Bonanza) I picked it because George Lyttelton kept on about it in the Lyttelton Hart-Davis letters.

http://www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyttelton/Hart-Davis_Letters

In Pursuit of the Unknown (17 Equations That Changed the World). This is not easy reading for me, but worthwhile, I think.

The Cow That Spoke for Seppl and Other Alpine Tales. This is our read aloud, and it is full of funny and slightly farcical stories I've never seen anywhere else.

I'm reading the last of The Uglies series (The Extras) to keep up with my older dd, reading The Princess and the Goblin to younger dd, reading The Worst Journey in World for myself, and putting myself to sleep trying to finish Diplomacy before ds gets home next week - I don't think I'll even come close to finishing it by then.

I'm finishing up the 2nd book of the Hunger Games "Catching Fire" . I've also been on a dystopian kick too. I want to read the third book "Mocking Jay"

Then after that , wrap it up with "The Age of Miracles" by Karen Thompson Walker

I am alternating b/t The Subtle Power of Spiritual Abuse (not always conducive to a good nights sleep) followed by Fortune Made His Sword, historical fiction about Henry V that I picked up at one of our local thrift shops. Just read the reviews on Amazon and found that a good portion of the novel was plagiarized! Interesting and sad. Now I may find the books the plagiarized portions were taken from.

"Shadow of Night" by Deborah Harkness (book 2 of trilogy - vampires, witches, time walking with lots of fun historical references, love story....ahhh!)

I'm reading Deborah Harness' second book to Discovery of Witches. :)

I am on the library hold list for this and am hoping it's as fun as the first one.

I am reading "Strong Women Stay Young" and "Atkins New Diet Revolution".

The Pleasure of Finding Things Out - Works by Richard Feynman

See if you can find a copy of this book -- Classic Feynman: All the Adventures of a Curious Character -- as it contains a wonderful hour long CD of Feynman recounting some of his own adventures.

I'm currently reading First Grave on the Right by Darynda Jones. I'm about half way through and enjoying it.

From Amazon: "A smashing, award-winning debut novel that introduces Charley Davidson: part-time private investigator and full-time Grim Reaper

Charley sees dead people. That’s right, she sees dead people. And it’s her job to convince them to “go into the light.†But when these very dead people have died under less than ideal circumstances (i.e. murder), sometimes they want Charley to bring the bad guys to justice. Complicating matters are the intensely hot dreams she’s been having about an Entity who has been following her all her life...and it turns out he might not be dead after all. In fact, he might be something else entirely."

Regards,

Kareni

A Mother's Rule of Life. Bought this book years ago because I figured that any homeschool mom who could pound the table and loudly inform her husband, "I QUIT!!!" had to be a kindred spirit. This book is really just about setting priorities and incorporating them into a schedule, but it's got some good nuggets of wisdom, and once I've finished it I can give it away and make room on my shelves for something else. :D