Menu

Here we go round the mulberry bush, the mulberry bush, the mulberry bush. Here we go round the mulberry bush...

Or,

Some whiskey was spilt on the barroom floor when the bar was closed for the night. When out of his house crept a little grey mouse and sat int he pale moon light. He lapped up the whiskey on the barroom floor and back on his haunches he sat. And all through the night you could hear the mouse roar, bring on the gosh darned cat.

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Here we go round the mulberry bush, the mulberry bush, the mulberry bush. Here we go round the mulberry bush...

Or,

Some whiskey was spilt on the barroom floor when the bar was closed for the night. When out of his house crept a little grey mouse and sat int he pale moon light. He lapped up the whiskey on the barroom floor and back on his haunches he sat. And all through the night you could hear the mouse roar, bring on the gosh darned cat.

But no one liked my PICTURE :crying: And it was SO fitting :lol::lol:

1 Corinthians 6:9-10 (NIV): "Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters, nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God."

That's pretty dang clear.

But, of course, female prostitutes were just fine and dandy, conveniently decree the men who wrote all this down in the first place.

I don't think boldly standing behind something that causes problems is necessarily good or bad. Just being controversial isn't a virtue.

Anyway I wish restaurant owners would direct their religious views to things that more directly affect the topic at hand, like quality food, good work environment, benefits for workers, good pay for farm workers, and humane treatment of those chickens. Or nutritional content of said food.

:iagree:

For those who are "boycotting," I supposed you don't have a problem with the "million moms" group boycotting JC Penneys.

I don't care who those people boycott, they have the right to vote with their wallet same as me.

I have boycotted Nestle for 12 years. Boycotting chick-fil-a will be a lot easier.

I agree that people should be able to say what they believe if asked, and to donate to whatever causes they believe in. I also believe that if people feel strongly about what business owners say, they should vote with their pocketbooks. I do - both pro and con.

Saying that marriage = man + woman is not anti-gay. It is sad that many people accept this blatant distortion of intent and meaning. But then, these are the same people who say that if I'm not pro-abortion I must be anti-woman.

Years ago I read a book called (IIRC) "God is my CEO." It wasn't right-wing or anything like that, but told about various businesses in which the owners made conscience an open and important part of their management. Some of you might find it an enjoyable read.

That one really screams hypocrisy. I would think Mr. Menino would be more concerned about bringing jobs to the Commonwealth instead of practicing the very discrimination he claims to oppose.

Mr. Cathy was being interviewed by the Baptist Press. I would really be shocked if he gave any other answer. They have been in business for 56 years with the reputation of supporting Christian values.

For those who are "boycotting," I supposed you don't have a problem with the "million moms" group boycotting JC Penneys.

I have seen Christian groups get thier knickers in a twist and then boycott a company or companies too many times to count. I do not care if they boycot. I do not care if they hold hands and sing kumbaya. I would prefer the members of my family and local homeschool group quit sending me e-mail crap related to the issue if the month, but the delete feature is a modern marvel.

Edited by BLA5

When i read threads like this is makes me feel like people have a checklist of the rules from the bible and keep track of how many points they scored by how few sins they did that day just so they can claim God loves them more.

I also have the urge to start doing the chicken dance right now.

I agree that people should be able to say what they believe if asked, and to donate to whatever causes they believe in. I also believe that if people feel strongly about what business owners say, they should vote with their pocketbooks. I do - both pro and con.

Saying that marriage = man + woman is not anti-gay. It is sad that many people accept this blatant distortion of intent and meaning. But then, these are the same people who say that if I'm not pro-abortion I must be anti-woman.

Years ago I read a book called (IIRC) "God is my CEO." It wasn't right-wing or anything like that, but told about various businesses in which the owners made conscience an open and important part of their management. Some of you might find it an enjoyable read.

If I have to agree with you, I don't know what I'm going to do. So stop right now.

But, of course, female prostitutes were just fine and dandy, conveniently decree the men who wrote all this down in the first place.

And if some here went back to the original translations, they might find that terms like "homosexual offenders" are not quite as clear as they believe.

I do like how "greedy" is on that same list, but is rarely addressed by the conservative crowd.

Does President Obama donate money to anti-gay organizations? Nope. So where's the hypocrisy?

Well, Obama is pretty pro-Muslim, and Muslims are pretty anti-gay. If I remember correctly, his Chicago church leaders were also anti-gay.

1 Cor. 6:9

1 Tim. 1:10

So, I see that Corinthians 6:9 says that homosexuals won't inherit the kingdom of God (in some translations, anyway). Where does it say they shouldn't be allowed to get married? I mean, we don't live in a theocracy, right? Are we really suggesting that our government should impose laws prohibiting everyone from committing any kind of sin? What about those of us who don't believe in your bible? Are the standards the same for us?

And I see that many translations of 1 Timothy 1:10 include liars and oath-breakers on the naughty list. Do we need laws for that, too? Do you really want to live in a country that imposed them?

And if some here went back to the original translations, they might find that terms like "homosexual offenders" are not quite as clear as they believe.

I do like how "greedy" is on that same list, but is rarely addressed by the conservative crowd.

Why where there is a tiff, are you always in the middle of it? Do you homeschool?

It isn't anti-gay to say marriage= man+woman. It is anti-gay to donate money to deny a group of people a Civil right.

I like companies that are closed on Sundays but I don't like denying people Civil rights.

Who is "pro-abortion?" It isn't the same thing as "pro-choice" I don't think using hyperbolic, inflammatory terms is conducive to respectful discourse.

Edited by Sis

Saying that marriage = man + woman is not anti-gay. It is sad that many people accept this blatant distortion of intent and meaning.

Yes, how silly of the gays to feel like you're trying to deny them their civil rights while you deny them their civil rights. Obviously they're just misinterpreting all this. :glare:

Up until this year, President Obama supported traditional marriage, yet I never heard/read any hate directed towards him from liberals on this board.;)

We aren't supposed to discuss politics on the board. Maybe that's why you didn't hear us. ;) Although I didn't feel hateful towards him. Just disappointed.

Does President Obama donate money to anti-gay organizations? Nope. So where's the hypocrisy?

Exactly.

No why would I have a problem with them boycotting JC Penneys. I have no issues when certain Baptist denominations boycotted Disney World either. It is their right to patronize whoever follows their values, just like it is my right to do the same.

When i read threads like this is makes me feel like people have a checklist of the rules from the bible and keep track of how many points they scored by how few sins they did that day just so they can claim God loves them more.

I also have the urge to start doing the chicken dance right now.

:lol::lol::lol:

The chicken dance huh.

Now HERE is the definition of tolerance, ladies and gentlemen.:D

Up until this year, President Obama supported traditional marriage, yet I never heard/read any hate directed towards him from liberals on this board.;)

Hmm.

Well, first of all, to my knowledge, President Obama never donated money to organizations actually working against civil rights for any specific group of people. Feel free to correct me, if there is such evidence. I am not aware of any.

Also, President Obama told us his views on this topic were "evolving," which I think is perfectly legitimate and admirable.

But, truthfully, his lack of support in this area is one reason I voted for him only in a lukewarm kind of way. I anyone asked me, I'd have been happy to share that information. And, actually, didn't we have thread when he announced his "evolved" position in which those of us who weren't happy with his previous stance expressed our appreciation? It's not like no one mentions it.

1 Corinthians 6:9-10 (NIV): "Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters, nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God."

That's pretty dang clear.

No. You have to understand. Sharpies and scissors help to get that part out of God's Word. It's much more readable and sweet that way!! :lol:

Have either of you read 1 Corinthians in the original Greek? Paul made up a word in that particular passage. The word is "arsenokoitai." Coincidentally, it happens to be the word that is translated as "homosexual" and about 20 other things in various versions of the Bible. It is equally likely that Paul was referring to those who were r*ping young boys.

It is curious to me that a man can make up a word, and people thousands of years later can be so sure of what he meant that they are willing to condemn an entire group of society, who, again, don't even subscribe to the same beliefs.

So, I see that Corinthians 6:9 says that homosexuals won't inherit the kingdom of God (in some translations, anyway). Where does it say they shouldn't be allowed to get married? I mean, we don't live in a theocracy, right? Are we really suggesting that our government should impose laws prohibiting everyone from committing any kind of sin? What about those of us who don't believe in your bible? Are the standards the same for us?

And I see that many translations of 1 Timothy 1:10 include liars and oath-breakers on the naughty list. Do we need laws for that, too? Do you really want to live in a country that imposed them?

I was in a conversation with a constitutional lawyer, and the way they explained it was that if gay marriage was going to be *prohibited* then the whole of man+woman marriage would have to be amended. So, what they explained, was that it actually DOES change the understanding of marriage if it 'passes'.

I like Chris Christie's position, Civil unions with all the benefits that married people have. That is their right as citizens of the US. But once the term marriage gets changed, it's a whole nuther ball of wax. And it's up to each state.

And, my disclaimer on that is that I'm not an attny, and I don't pretend to be one, I just try and hire the best I can. NO hired attnys were the ones that gave me this information.

No, I have no problem with them. I disagree, of course. And I've made it a point to spend more of my money at JCP and Home Depot and have written to both businesses thanking them for their positions.

I value my right to express my opinions and vote with my dollars. How can I be anything but supportive of the rights of others to do the same?

Have either of you read 1 Corinthians in the original Greek? Paul made up a word in that particular passage. The word is "arsenokoitai." Coincidentally, it happens to be the word that is translated as "homosexual" and about 20 other things in various versions of the Bible. It is equally likely that Paul was referring to those who were r*ping young boys.

It is curious to me that a man can make up a word, and people thousands of years later can be so sure of what he meant that they are willing to condemn an entire group of society, who, again, don't even subscribe to the same beliefs.

Thank you for saving me some research.

And the verses in the OT don't count because?

Christ loved sinners but HATED sin.

Sure. Im just not sure why its the homosexual marriage that gets so much attention by those who disagree. There are lots of marriages that I disagree with, that involve sinning by either party. I can have my opinion that I believe is Biblical without behaving in an unChristlike manner to people who disagree with me. because then it becomes about MY behavior and that actually is my business. Last I checked there was great big plank in my own eye.

1 Corinthians 6:9-10

Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.

Revile: To assail with abusive language.

Galatians 5:19-21 Now the deeds of the flesh are evident, which are: immorality, impurity, sensuality, idolatry, sorcery, enmities, strife, jealousy, outbursts of anger, disputes, dissensions, factions, envying, drunkenness, carousing, and things like these, of which I forewarn you, just as I have forewarned you, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

Looks like I am in big trouble! Thank God...

Mark 10:26-27They were even more astonished and said to Him, “Then who can be saved?” Looking at them, Jesus said, “With people it is impossible, but not with God; for all things are possible with God.”

11And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.

I was in a conversation with a constitutional lawyer, and the way they explained it was that if gay marriage was going to be *prohibited* then the whole of man+woman marriage would have to be amended. So, what they explained, was that it actually DOES change the understanding of marriage if it 'passes'.

I like Chris Christie's position, Civil unions with all the benefits that married people have. That is their right as citizens of the US. But once the term marriage gets changed, it's a whole nuther ball of wax. And it's up to each state.

And, my disclaimer on that is that I'm not an attny, and I don't pretend to be one, I just try and hire the best I can. NO hired attnys were the ones that gave me this information.

:lol:

I think folks should support any organization they wish. I am fine with that.

If you are a corporation, some folks will agree with your motives and stance etc, and some will not. I like knowing. I am glad they 'came out.' I didn't know this about them and now I do. It helps me make better decisions when I spend my money.

I wish every organization was as transparent. I am glad they made a statement.

My favorite solution to all of this is to separate the religion part of marriage from the legal, contract part. Aren't there countries in which the actual legal part is handled separately from any religious ceremony? I'd like that, please.

And I couldn't care less if the legal contract thing is called a "civil union," because it would be one . . . for everyone.

Then, those who wanted to also be married in the eyes of their church could do that, too.

Then my church, which has been offering union and marriage ceremonies for many years, could go right on performing them and any other churches that want to reserve that for man-woman couples are welcome to not perform them. Equal playing ground for everyone, respect for every human being.

My favorite solution to all of this is to separate the religion part of marriage from the legal, contract part. Aren't there countries in which the actual legal part is handled separately from any religious ceremony? I'd like that, please.

And I couldn't care less if the legal contract thing is called a "civil union," because it would be one . . . for everyone.

Then, those who wanted to also be married in the eyes of their church could do that, too.

Then my church, which has been offering union and marriage ceremonies for many years could go right on performing them and any other churches that want to reserve that for man-woman couples are welcome to not perform them. Equal playing ground for everyone, respect for every human being.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

I guess....but isn't that kind of.... I can't think of the word, but saying to someone it's fine to have a partner, it's fine to have all the benefits of a marriage, but you are not married seems weird to me. Potentially really hurtful?

I'm a Christian and I get why the term marriage is valued so strongly, but in the US marriage isn't only governed and allowed by the church(es). I was not a Christian at all when I got married, it was a completely un religious affair and I had no problems getting a license or getting married.

That's just why I have trouble wrapping my ahead around not allowing same sex couples to marry.

Ugh, I consider myself a conservative Christian, but I feel like fighting to keep gays from marrying comes across as unloving. My husband and I disagree on this. He's all about how obedient we need to be to God's Word and how Sodom and Gomorrah will happen all over again if we allow gays to marry. Oh, and he also thinks that it will open the door to pedophiles marrying children and that people will be allowed to marry their animals, and yada yada yada. My opinion is that they're going to live like they're married anyway, why not just let them get married. Not everyone is Christian, so why force them to obey the Christian law? And DH and I keep going in circles b/c he feels like our country is a Christian country, so we should uphold the Christian law. Can I boycott Dh? LOL!

BTW, I won't be boycotting Chick Fil A, but I won't be going out of my way to support them just because of what they support.

Wow, I could have written this post almost exactly. I really don't get why the Christian community makes such a big deal about this issue. It is NOT the most important thing out there. Better to show love to people and let God speak to their hearts about sin. My exception would be that if a friend or colleague that professed Christianity was also claiming to be homosexual, I might feel I had a place to lovingly confront that person. But only if I am also confronting the glutton who sits behind me in church and the gossip who sits on the next pew...and honestly, I have enough to do just dealing with my own sin without worrying about everyone else's.

:lol::lol: Yes, I suppose we should boycott every business in the U.S., because I'm pretty sure almost all of them contribute to greed at some level.

One would think that as much emphasis as conservative Christians put on this issue that Jesus must have been quite clear about what a heinous sin homosexuality is. Could you please cite which passages in the New Testament have him addressing homosexuality? Thanks!

Not sure if your question was already answered as I haven't gotten past your post yet but here ya go:

New International Version (NIV)

9Or do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor men who have sex with men10 nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.

9 We also know that the law is made not for the righteous but for lawbreakers and rebels, the ungodly and sinful, the unholy and irreligious, for those who kill their fathers or mothers, for murderers, 10 for the sexually immoral, for those practicing homosexuality, for slave traders and liars and perjurers—and for whatever else is contrary to the sound doctrine 11 that conforms to the gospel concerning the glory of the blessed God, which he entrusted to me. (1 Tim. 1:9–11).

Romans 1:26-28

"For this reason God gave them over to degrading passions; for their women exchanged the natural function for that which is unnatural, 27and in the same way also the men abandoned the natural function of the woman and burned in their desire toward one another, men with men committing indecent acts and receiving in their own persons the due penalty of their error. 28And just as they did not see fit to acknowledge God any longer, God gave them over to a depraved mind, to do those things which are not proper."

I guess....but isn't that kind of.... I can't think of the word, but saying to someone it's fine to have a partner, it's fine to have all the benefits of a marriage, but you are not married seems weird to me. Potentially really hurtful?

I'm a Christian and I get why the term marriage is valued so strongly, but in the US marriage isn't only governed and allowed by the church(es). I was not a Christian at all when I got married, it was a completely un religious affair and I had no problems getting a license or getting married.

I think everyone should be treated the same, the State can do Civil unions and let churches make their own decisions.

Edited by Sis

Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.

Galatians 5:19-21 Now the deeds of the flesh are evident, which are: immorality, impurity, sensuality, idolatry, sorcery, enmities, strife, jealousy, outbursts of anger, disputes, dissensions, factions, envying, drunkenness, carousing, and things like these, of which I forewarn you, just as I have forewarned you, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

Mark 10:26-27They were even more astonished and said to Him, “Then who can be saved?†Looking at them, Jesus said, “With people it is impossible, but not with God; for all things are possible with God.â€

11And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.

Perfect!

And the verses in the OT don't count because?

I didn't say they didn't count, I was responding directly to the passage that was quoted to me.

Mark 10:26-27They were even more astonished and said to Him, “Then who can be saved?†Looking at them, Jesus said, “With people it is impossible, but not with God; for all things are possible with God.â€

...if there were more Christians like you, it is possible that Christianity wouldn't be considered such a hateful thing by those on the outside. It is amazing how many will ignore their our sins while making mountains out of the sins of others.

Thank you. I needed to be reminded that there are many wonderful people out there who also happen to be devout Christians.

:grouphug:

His position is to remove the word "marriage" entirely. The State would recognize "Civil Unions" and "marriage" would be something handled within the church.

It would treat everyone the same and let churches make their own decisions, which is all people want.

Oh. :blushing: Thank you for clarifying. I thought he meant marriage for one group and civil unions for the other and didn't read that clearly.

That actually is a great idea.

They'll count as soon as Christians also start pouring their money into banning the shellfish industry and men's razors.

Yes!! I finally found a cause I can support! :D Not that I personally pour my money into any of these types of issues, and I don't really care where everyone else pours there money. But I can say, that since I don't eat shellfish and there's a lot of beards around here, that by your standards I'm allowed to count the OT verses on homosexuality.

Since most of the above is just me being a little sarcastic I think I should state this. To the best of my ability I follow the OT with the understanding that God didn't make us to have to follow the law or be condemned, that's what grace is for and that's what Jesus came for. The law shows us the heart of God though and what he desires for us. If I stumble with it though, He doesn't love me any less. If someone struggles with gluttony, he doesn't love them any less, if someone struggles (yes I'll be bashed for using that word here) with homosexuality, He doesn't love them any less. That doesn't mean that I am supposed to say it's ok, but just because someone has something that I call sin in their life doesn't give me the right to bash them. I don't agree with them, and I can't support them, and I by my belief system would have to support something that others would see as opposing them, but that doesn't mean I hate them.

Wow I need to review my grammar and writing. My poor kids don't have a hope if they learn their grammar from me.

Sigh. :glare:

I like Chick-fil-a. I won't stop eating there. No one should be surprised by the guy's take on things - it's well known that he's a pretty fundamentalist Christian, they don't open on Sundays, etc. :rolleyes:

Though I have to say, I see people who are supposedly open minded hating Christians a whole heck of a lot. I guess open mindedness doesn't extend to them. :001_huh: It's frustrating. People literally hate us - at least that's how it seems.

I don't care what someone thinks of gay marriage or gay rights or whatever. Everyone thinks what they think. Who cares?