Menu

Pre-Algebra-tell me what you're using/used

My twin boys will be 7th grade next year and they will be doing PreAlgebra. I cannot make a decision. I've read some threads on the subject and have some curriculum ideas but I seem to have a mental block with making this decision.

I have one pretty mathy ds and one who really doesn't like math but does okay. I wonder too if this is finally the year that I have them do different curriculum. The mathy ds wants to go into science some day so I have that in mind. Also, I hate math myself and really feel I am out of my league on this subject. So a program that has videos, helps, grading done for me is what I'm looking for. I do know some people that can help tutor them if it comes to that. We did MUS from K through part of last year when I switched over to Math Mammoth.

Please tell me what you are using and why you picked it or why you and your dc like it.

Help me pick something for these guys! Thanks!

I have a PhD in math and 40 years math teaching experience, but I don't know what "pre algebra" means. Once they know arithmetic they are ready for algebra. I started my 11 or 12 year old son with Harold Jacobs' Algebra. It is fun, substantive, and full of creative ideas and solid concepts. Unfortunately it cost only $17 when we used it and now is so popular it costs $65. Here is a used copy:

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?an=harold+jacobs&sts=t&tn=elementary+algebra%2C

Here is another choice of possibly pre algebra topics:

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?an=sybilla+beckmann&sts=t

This is cheap but rated the best book for elementary teacher preparation in the country. It was written by a friend and colleague of mine, I have taught from it, and it is excellent.

We've used MUS from Alpha to Zeta so decided to use MUS for pre-algebra to finish the elementary sequence. There are several concepts that aren't introduced until this book so I didn't feel comfortable switching until we'd covered them all.

I'm researching algebra programs this year to figure out what we want to use next year, and that's making my head head hurt.

Edited by Paintedlady

We're using Saxon Alg 1/2. There are a variety of possible video assists---DIVE (I've been told there's fairly heavy Christian religious content), Saxon Teacher (secular) and Art Reed's Saxon dvds (secular). I periodically (like today ;)) give thought to picking up the Art Reed dvds rather than butting heads with my tween. I prefer the solutions manual to the answer key, because it has worked out solutions to all the problem sets (but not the practice ones). There are answers to some of the practice/problem set questions in the back of the text, but not all of them.

We moved to Saxon back in 6/5 from Singapore and it's been a much better fit for my daughter. She's competent in math, but not "mathy"---more like my English lit major husband than my science major self. :)

My dd used AoPS Prealgebra after MM. There are free videos for the book and there are on-line classes also.

How far did they get in MM? Did it go well?

(FWIW, of my twin boys, the one who likes to pretend he doesn't know anything is secretly even more mathy than his super-mathy brother, though he doesn't know it. There are some issues there :glare:)

We used Saxon 8/7 because we did not know anything else (had just started homeschooling). It got the job done, but was utterly joyless and devoid of excitement. We ended up speeding through it as fast as possible just to get done.

If I had to do it again, I would use AoPS Prealgebra (which did not exist at that point)

My dd used AoPS Prealgebra after MM. There are free videos for the book and there are on-line classes also.

How far did they get in MM? Did it go well?

(FWIW, of my twin boys, the one who likes to pretend he doesn't know anything is secretly even more mathy than his super-mathy brother, though he doesn't know it. There are some issues there :glare:)

We are at the end of MM 6A Fractions. They know fractions really well from MUS. I had hoped we would be doing more math this summer but I've been too distracted to stay on them. It seems like much of the 6B topics are topics that are taught in PreAlgebra-Percent (we have covered in MM 5 and MUS), Integers and Coordinates, Geometry (haven't done much w/that topic), Probability, and Statistics. Do I really need to cover these before starting PreAlg?

I have considered AoPS, especially for my mathy ds and I like the idea of doing the online course. I wondered if Teaching Textbooks would be a better fit for my non-mathy ds since I thought AoPS was for a more math intuitive student. ??

Thanks for your suggestions.

Depending upon where their competencies/weaknesses lie, you could start in the LoF series.

My DS ran through Life of Fred: Fractions, Decimals & Percents, Pre-Algebra with Biology, and Pre-Algebra with Economics as his preparation for algebra inside of a year (those are four separate books). He is extremely well-prepared for Algebra now, and gets the underpinnings of how things are connected mathematically, and why they are connected to one another, not just "Oh, plug this here and then do that."

My husband has a PhD in math and I have done plenty of tutoring, and we love the Fred approach. It is a very unique approach, and particularly with a parent who is not confident in math, requires a kid who is disciplined enough to actually work out the problems and maybe even slow down and take some notes while reading the text (not a lot, but just enough to really be reading the book instead of zipping through the story).

The author, Stan Schmidt, is also available to the kids for help by email or phone call if they get stuck with a problem or concept.

We are changing from Teaching Textbooks this year.

My 7th grader is going to use Horizon's Pre-Algebra. I have it but we have not started it yet. Looks like it will be a good fit for her - looks challenging. (Horizon is coming out with Alg 1 next year I think)

For my 9th grader - she has opted to use Life of Fred so she is doing Advanced Algebra and using the home companion with it. She is reviewing LOF Beginning Algebra this summer so she will be on the same page to start Alg 2 in the fall.

Good luck! I liked TT but my girls were ready for a change I guess...

I hate math with a passion and it is the only subject that DS13 and I tend to butt heads on so that was a big factor in the curriculum that we chose. We ended up going with Teaching Textbooks and we haven't regretted it yet. He is 2 discs into Pre-Algebra and it has been GLORIOUS! He is able to do everything himself with practically no help from me and it automatically grades his work. BIG PLUS! There is plenty of repetition, which is what he needs, and I can just have him skip problems if I feel like he doesn't need to bother with those.

My 11 year old finished the MM series and will be using a McDougell Littell text for pre-algebra. I won't say it is my favorite (that would be AoPS), but she may transition back to a regular school in the next year or two, so I want her to have some exposure to more typical texts. I will supplement with math contest materials and rich problem solving activities that I create.

Considering that all my kids did Singapore for elementary, they're going in all different directions after that.

I also have twins, one mathier than the other, and I needed to separate them after 6th grade. In retrospect, I should've probably separated them in 6th already.

Mathier dd continued with Singapore another year and did Discovering Mathematics 1, then did Algebra with Foerster's. The other one did Lial's Prealgebra and then Lial's Introductory Algebra.

My youngest was a bit ahead in math and ditched Singapore after 6A to do AoPS Prealgebra.

We'll be using Horizons prealg because my dd picked it:) I showed her a ton of other programs but she likes Horizons "get r done" methods. She hates video or dvd tutorial presentations, which eliminated many possibilities. I am working thru Horizons prealg on my own so I can be prepared to teach her. So far, I like it. Occasionally I hit a lesson that's not very clear, so then I watch one of the free aops videos online. Horizons resources book has some cheap paper manipulatives, and the tm refers to these often, so there is a hands on "concrete" presentation in some of the lessons (uses algebra tiles to show equations).

My son completed SM 6A&B last year. I know some people go right from that into algebra, but I think my son needs another year of development before we start abstract math.

We are going to try AoPS. He made the decision to use that program. I think it might be too challenging, but I am willing to give it our very best try. My dh thinks I am underestimating ds. We are also going to be doing the Tops Science unit "Math Lab" once a week. It is very hands on and I think that will be good for him.

If AoPS doesn't work out, then we will move to the Key To Algebra series and continue with the Tops unit. I always like to have a plan b.

For algebra, I plan to use the Math Without Borders DVD with Foerster's

We are at the end of MM 6A Fractions. They know fractions really well from MUS. I had hoped we would be doing more math this summer but I've been too distracted to stay on them. It seems like much of the 6B topics are topics that are taught in PreAlgebra-Percent (we have covered in MM 5 and MUS), Integers and Coordinates, Geometry (haven't done much w/that topic), Probability, and Statistics. Do I really need to cover these before starting PreAlg?

I have considered AoPS, especially for my mathy ds and I like the idea of doing the online course. I wondered if Teaching Textbooks would be a better fit for my non-mathy ds since I thought AoPS was for a more math intuitive student. ??

Thanks for your suggestions.

I agree with you, that the remaining topics are often covered in prealgebra texts, and we did move on before that point.

I love AoPS. It is challenging and wonderful.

As for the "non-mathy" one, I'd be reluctant to assume he's not mathy (though I totally understand the shorthand for comparison to the brother. As I wanted to explain above, one of my boys thinks he is not mathy, and acts like it. As a result, he's a year behind his very accelerated brother - my fault because I wasn't paying close enough attention, they go to school - but the truth is that he's even mathier, and I have older standardized test results to prove it. We have issues with turning the brain switch to the "on" position). In particular, you're considering prealgebra in 7th grade for him - that sounds fairly mathy ;)

I'd find a straightforward text. The old Dolciani unfortunately doesn't come with videos. Above a PP mentioned Prentice Hall, which does come with videos (I think the text is visually hideous, but for a public school textbook the math is not bad; Maria Miller lists PH on her prealgebra recommendations page). Another straightforward on-line option might be Derek Owens. If you have the AoPS book for the "mathy" one, do let the "non-mathy" brother have a go with some of it. The perspective is so different that I imagine some kids who think they are not mathy may change their mind after experiencing some AoPS. That wouldn't be my advice if we were talking about a student who was really struggling, but that doesn't seem to be the case here. (As for TT, that's at the opposite end of the spectrum from AoPS.) Lial is another straightforward option but I don't know of any videos/classes. One other option would be Russian Math 6, though there isn't any video component for that either; however it would be a lovely text to follow MM with, somewhere in between MM6 and AoPS for challenge level.

I love AoPS. It is challenging and wonderful.

Slight derailment, but still on topic, could you share your opinion on how closely the AOPS books compare to the samples they have posted on their website? I was strongly considering this for my math lover based on reviews here, but she was unimpressed with the samples.

In other threads on PreAlg/Algebra, some have mentioned Kinetic Books. I have the 30 day trial for their Pre Algebra course and it looks like it meets so many of my criteria: video teaching, student led instruction, auto grading, tracking of progress. Maria Miller reviewed their Alg I and gave it a good review. My boys looked at it this morning and said they both liked it. I have an email into their support though as I can't figure out how to set them each up w/a different account for logging on. Waiting to get an answer so we can try it out.

Anyone else using Kinetic Books or have used them?

One other question, how do you get all your student's math graded every day? Do you have them grade it?

My oldest went from Singapore 6 to algebra, with an unnecessary run through Cliffnotes Pre-algebra.

I'll have two in pre-algebra this year, one using AoPS and one using Teaching Textbooks. I also have Lial's BCM for extra practice and as a back-up.

Slight derailment, but still on topic, could you share your opinion on how closely the AOPS books compare to the samples they have posted on their website? I was strongly considering this for my math lover based on reviews here, but she was unimpressed with the samples.

The samples are actual pages from the books. Whether they're the best samples, I'm not sure. It's hard to capture the AoPS perspective in a sample.

Each lesson starts out with a series of problems, the solving of which, little by little, "teaches" the lesson to the student. The lesson problems are then followed by full solutions to the lesson problems, which of course is handy should the student have difficulty with them. After solving the lesson problems and then reading through the thorough lesson problem solutions, the student then attempts the exercises. The end of each chapter includes many review problems and "challenge" problems.

The lesson videos are fun too, though not always necessary.

I have only used the Prealgebra book. Many, many problems in that book are taken from math contests. The problems in the book are more fun and interesting than any prealgebra book I've seen (I have collected several, though obviously I haven't seen them all). To understand where the authors are coming from, see this lecture about problem solving by one of the authors (the video is an hour long; there's also a transcript. It is well worth your time to read through).

You might have your dd check out the free videos and try Alcumus, the free on-line problem solving program. It can be set up such that the order of topics follows the Prealgebra text.

My kids haven't watched the videos recently, though this one is always a favorite, especially for my younger kids.

Edited by wapiti

Please tell me what you are using and why you picked it or why you and your dc like it.

My daughter used a combination of books for Pre-Algebra

1) Sections from Russian Math 6 (for clear mathematical explanations)

2) Singapore Primary Math CWP 6 Standards Edition (for supplementary problem solving)

and 3) Saxon Algebra 1/2 (for review and practice)

She transitioned well to Art of Problem Solving Intro to Algebra. She told me it is her favorite text - but the other day she asked me if I would add in some CWP from Singapore for next year because she misses those. ;)

Other books I have considered using with her (and that I think are very good) are Harold Jacobs Algebra and Geometry (2nd Edition), older editions of Dolciani Algebra I, Algebra II and Trig, Dolciani Modern Analysis, Foerster's Algebra I and Algebra II and Trig, Foerster's PreCalculus and Calculus, and also MEP Secondary Levels.

We will probably stick with AoPS though.

Good luck. :)

I'm interested in this as my 10 yr old daughter will start SM6b in a few weeks.

Since she's young and we have time to fool around, I think we'll do a combination of different things I have around the house and have been meaning to get to... like Zaccaro and LOF Pre-Algebra and GP SYRWL Math and a few Keys to or maybe some of the free worksheets from MM. Then when we've exhausted that, I think we'll head for Jacobs. I wish I had a better plan. I'm kind of afraid to start Algebra with her. She's pretty good at math and it comes easy to her, but she doesn't actually like it... And I'd hate for her to be sitting in a therapists office years from now saying how her mother forced her to start learning algebra at age 10.

Life was simpler when I could just order the next SM book.

Since she's young and we have time to fool around, I think we'll do a combination of different things I have around the house and have been meaning to get to...

Let her play around on Alcumus (free; set it to follow the topics in the prealgebra book).

I used Chalkdust prealgebra with my dd and am going to use it again this year with ds. It was her choice of several that I had; it was a lot of work and she complained frequently, but I made her stick with it. She went to ps last year and took Algebra I. More than a few times she mentioned how glad she was that she used Chalkdust. It prepared her very well for Algebra I.

The lecture times vary widely, and she didn't watch every single one. I didn't make her do the cumulative reviews which was a mistake I corrected about 2/3 of the way through the year. She only did about every other odd problem in the homework. I think she liked it most because it wasn't me teacher her.

For your "mathy" student, maybe something like AoPS or Horizons Pre-Algebra. Horizon's is new, but it is suppose to be pretty rigorous. We are going to use CLE 700 and a little bit of 800 as our pre-algebra, and I'm tying most of the lessons with Khan Academy Lectures on the topics. Derek Owen's also has a Pre-Algebra course you can purchase and it is cd/workbook course. The solutions, homework and tests are included. We used his Algebra 1 course and ds did well. CLE is spiral, Derek Owen's is mastery, if that makes a difference.

I have a PhD in math and 40 years math teaching experience, but I don't know what "pre algebra" means. Once they know arithmetic they are ready for algebra. I started my 11 or 12 year old son with Harold Jacobs' Algebra. It is fun, substantive, and full of creative ideas and solid concepts. Unfortunately it cost only $17 when we used it and now is so popular it costs $65. Here is a used copy:

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?an=harold+jacobs&sts=t&tn=elementary+algebra%2C

Here is another choice of possibly pre algebra topics:

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?an=sybilla+beckmann&sts=t

This is cheap but rated the best book for elementary teacher preparation in the country. It was written by a friend and colleague of mine, I have taught from it, and it is excellent.

Thanks you so much for saying this!! I have been trying to figure this out as well and it is nice to have a mathy someone actually say what I have been thinking:001_smile: I have been thinking over doing this same program with my ds next year and stumbled on this post. :lol: