Menu

Pots & Pan recommendations requested

After the house burned and I had a bigger kitchen budget I invested in some All Clad and Le Creuset and I love all of them. I bought some on Ebay and some on Amazon, I found some pretty decent deals and they work great. At the time I did a trial subscription to Cooks Illustrated or such for free reviews and researched on there before buying. I also have a huge Cuisinart stock pot as it was reviewed similarly as much more expensive brands.

Cast iron here too. And my copper-clad stainless Revereware stockpot is going strong still (14 years). Actually, so is my Farberware plain stainless stockpot, though I did have to screw the handles back on and buy a new lid once.

I started screwing handles back on about 5 years ago, sigh. Now they only stay tightened for a week or so. Loved my farberware.

I went through several sets before I finally got my Le Creuset. All my pots and pans are Creuset. TJ Maxx and Homegoods had an influx several years ago and I hit every one in the city ;) I also have 3 non-stick skillets; small, medium, and large.

Cast iron here too. And my copper-clad stainless Revereware stockpot is going strong still (14 years). Actually, so is my Farberware plain stainless stockpot, though I did have to screw the handles back on and buy a new lid once.

When we got married my husband had his grandmother's original set of Revereware. I had Calphalon envy in the worst way and eventually bought a set when I could afford it. I hated it in comparison to my old Revereware--it's sitting on a shelf for the first kid to move out of the house.

I've had no problems with the handles but I've heard there was a decline in quality along the way.

Looks like the Farberware set I got 20 years ago as a wedding gift are kaput.

The handles are all falling off, repeatedly.

Suggestions?

I love these.

http://www.amazon.com/Le-Creuset-Enameled-Cast-Iron-Precision/dp/B004GCJMY8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1342218180&sr=8-1&keywords=Le+Creuset+Enameled+Cast-Iron+1-1%2F4-Quart+Iron+Handle+Precision+Pour

They don't come in sets, you simply decide on the ones that you would use the most and then build on that. I have had most of mine now for two years and have been very happy with them. They haven't chipped, clean easily, I put them in the dishwasher, they heat quickly and hold the heat for serving out of if you do that, I do.

The down side is they are heavy, especially the bigger ones when full.

When we got married my husband had his grandmother's original set of Revereware. I had Calphalon envy in the worst way and eventually bought a set when I could afford it. I hated it in comparison to my old Revereware--it's sitting on a shelf for the first kid to move out of the house.

I've had no problems with the handles but I've heard there was a decline in quality along the way.

My mother's revere ware is almost 50 years old and still going strong. Maybe I should shop estate sales.

I went through several sets before I finally got my Le Creuset. All my pots and pans are Creuset. TJ Maxx and Homegoods had an influx several years ago and I hit every one in the city ;) I also have 3 non-stick skillets; small, medium, and large.

Also able to find these pieces at Tuesday Morning, if you have one nearby.

dh, aka: "the cook", bought a few scan pans a few years ago. we really like them, alot more than the dept store calphalon (which are better than the target calphalon)

eta: he lusts after the all-clad triply but hasn't been willing to fork out for them. though he did just fork out for a set of wusthof for his birthday present.

Edited by gardenmom5

I have All Clad, Le Creuset, and Calphalon items, but I use my cast iron cookware more than anything else. If you season it properly, it cooks like a dream. You can bake, simmer, fry, saute--anything you want in it. You don't have to worry about overheating it, scratching it, messing it up. Just use a stiff brush to clean off the junk then wipe it out with a paper towel and it's clean. Occasionally I coat it with some lard and bake it to get that nice, seasoned coating renewed, but it is very low maintenance. And because it is so inexpensive you don't have to treat it like it costs as much as Le Creuset. (Though I'm not going to deny it, Le Creuset is lovely! just$$$)