Menu

A Sunday Chat

First question: How do you like to toast your marshmallows? I like to set mine of fire and then blow it out!

How was your weekend? My weekend was very busy but good. Saturday I focused on writing a lesson on Proverbs, Zumba and hanging out with the kids. Today was split between church and my ILs.

Is anything special happening in the month of July? Dd10 wants to host a neighborhood 4th of July party. I want to do anything BUT host a neighborhood 4th of July party but I'll help her as I can. In two weeks, my son and husband will go to a Christian summer camp for a week.

First question: How do you like to toast your marshmallows?

Wait until the fire has died down some, find the right spot and rotate the marshmallow until it's toasted golden brown.

We tried inserting a piece of chocolate into the marshmallow while toasting....heavenly!

How was your weekend?

FANTASTIC! We spent most of it at the free Fan Festival outside the US Track and Field Olympic Trials. We did a scavenger hunt across the U of Oregon campus, the kids did a kids' course, watched several events on the giant screen, tons of free stuff for the family. It was so much fun!

Is anything special happening in the month of July?

Vacation (camping in the mountains), Family Fourth of July celebration.

Cat

Here's a fun July happening!!

Start making your COW Costume!!!! for CHICK-FIL-A Cow Appreciation Day !!

The big day is.........Friday, July 13!!!!!!

"Come dressed like a cow from head to hoof and we'll reward you with a FREE meal. (If you're a little chicken, don't worry, a partial costume still receives a FREE entrée.) And calves in costumes get FREE meals too; so bring in the whole herd for some family fun."

My kiddos really, really like making their costumes & getting FREE food!!

FANTASTIC! We spent most of it at the free Fan Festival outside the US Track and Field Olympic Trials. We did a scavenger hunt across the U of Oregon campus, the kids did a kids' course, watched several events on the giant screen, tons of free stuff for the family. It was so much fun!

Oh, I'm jealous! That does sound fun.:001_smile:

I like mine the same as you - set it on fire and blow it out!

How was your weekend?

Tiring! We pulled up the floor in younger dd's bedroom, then I painted her room. I'm a bit sore today.

Dh and I celebrate our anniversary this month! We'll probably just go out for a nice dinner since we're trying to get all the floors done this summer.

Here's a fun July happening!!

Start making your COW Costume!!!! for CHICK-FIL-A Cow Appreciation Day !!

The big day is.........Friday, July 13!!!!!!

"Come dressed like a cow from head to hoof and we'll reward you with a FREE meal. (If you're a little chicken, don't worry, a partial costume still receives a FREE entrée.) And calves in costumes get FREE meals too; so bring in the whole herd for some family fun."

My kiddos really, really like making their costumes & getting FREE food!!

Unfortunately we don't have Chick-Fil-A in our state. You'll have to post a picture of your cow costumes!

First question: How do you like to toast your marshmallows? I like them both ways.

How was your weekend? Good dh had to work yesterday but we played in the pool, worked puzzles read books, and had a good time.

We are likely to find out where dh's next contract job will be. His project here finishes up in the middle of July.

First question: How do you like to toast your marshmallows? Set them on fire and blow them out

How was your weekend? Very good - son had surgery on Friday and didn't have to stay overnight as planned. Saturday was recoop time and bike riding on the greenline for the other guys. Friends took kids to see Brave. Our church voted to increase my husband's position as Assoc. Pastor today. Watched an old war movie this afternoon, and husband is off next three days from full-time job to build a playset for the kids and grandkids and to celebrate the 4th.

Is anything special happening in the month of July? .....planning to start back school on the 16th :001_huh: ??? Vacation in the fall when it's cooler hopefully.

:001_smile:

I like mine slightly burnt with a hot, creamy, meltedy center! (meltedy is not a real word... but... you know....)

How was your weekend?

Tiring! DH took the 4 boys out for a boating/camping trip and I've been alone... except the first night I babysat my grandson overnight, which was fun... then last night I babysat my two other grandchildren and it was fun... but, lots of baby-crying-in-the-night moments... tonight I am going to SLEEP!!! :) I also spent today driving about 220 miles... spent time with oldest son, then visited my 17yog at her residential rehab facility for visiting hours and it was a good visit, then went to dinner with my 20yog and her fiancee, now am home... tired out!

I hope to get permanent custody of my two youngest sons this first week of July... don't post much about the personal "things", but it's a big thing... hoping to really bond as a family here at home... hoping to get some emotional rest. :)

It's late so grab a stick and a marshmallow. Chocolate and graham crackers are on the tray on the table. I have a lovely bon fire going for your s'more enjoyment.

First question: How do you like to toast your marshmallows? Over coals, a nice golden brown. Any that burst into flame get offered to Wolf or the kids :tongue_smilie:

How was your weekend? Peachy.

Is anything special happening in the month of July? Yup! Canada celebration yesterday, Bordeaux puppy coming in a few wks!

:D

I take my time and rotate slowly until they're slightly golden and ready to fall off the stick.

How was your weekend?

It was pretty good! My daughter had a "end of the school year" party last night, so yesterday was a lot of prep and today was clean-up, but it went well. :)

The kids will do various camps for a couple weeks each. My oldest is actually going to be working as a diving instructor at a camp for the first time, so he's pretty excited about that. My birthday and Dh's are a few days apart, so we'll have a little party for that. I think that's it.

Is there another way than squishing them on a stick and holding them over an open fire? (or still-hot coals)

How was your weekend?

Quiet. Mr. Ellie and I looked at tile--an endless number of choices...argh--because we need to do a small remodel in a bathroom. Ah, the joys of empty-nest-hood.:D

It's my birthday. I'll be plenty-one. :D We'll be visiting friends in Ft. Worth. Um...::thinkingthinkingthinking::boy, I need to get out more!

OTOH, there were many, many Julys in past years that were crazy busy, so I think I've earned some that were just not. :D

It's late so grab a stick and a marshmallow. Chocolate and graham crackers are on the tray on the table. I have a lovely bon fire going for your s'more enjoyment.

Slowly, over coals with no flames, until it's melted all the way through and golden brown and crispy on the outside. Mmmmmm..... (Now I may have to go find a fondue fork and a gas burner.)

How was your weekend?

Pretty good, actually, especially considering the fact that my dh is still out of state (and now without power because of the storms), the wildfire over the hill from our house is not yet fully contained (last I heard it was 65%, though, which is good, and the winds have died down), and my kids stayed home from church today (dd with an alleged tummy ache and ds to babysit her because the other church librarian is on vacation and 10 minutes before church is too late to find a sub). I've actually gotten quite a bit done.

My dh is coming home, and dd and I get to have birthdays. :)

1. I only eat marshmallow on smores. And I like them on fire for a few minutes :)

2. We had a great weekend! DH has been working on the garden nonstop, I have slowly been cleaning and decluttering. I completed a few projects on my list :) but mostly....I rested and took deep breaths through some BH contractions....and we made it to chirch for the first time.in a few weeks, it was a great weekend!

3. I am hoping for a baby this month :) August 5th is the due date, but I am really okay with a week or two early!

slowly - I like them toasty brown but not burnt.

How was your weekend?

Good. I'm thankful we had power.

Next weekend we will be with all our children in WV for 3 days. It's becoming a rare occasion so I'm looking forward to it.

MamaSheep, I hope that fire gets contained soon!

Thanks, me too. Our end of the valley has been smoky all week, and some days we've been getting little flakes of ash drifting down like snow. My asthma and I are tired of it. But we're so much better off than those who have lost their homes to the fires here, and in other places. A backyard campfire over which to roast marshmallows doesn't sound very appealing this week, but strangely the thought of a toasted marshmallow sounds dreamy.

[/b]

Is there another way than squishing them on a stick and holding them over an open fire? (or still-hot coals)D

Sometimes I make s'mores on the microwave with the leftovers from a camping trip. It's not nearly as satisfying. The chocolate melts better, though.

Weekend: Gym, Errands, missed a birthday party I thought was from 4 to 6. Turns out it was from 2 to 4. Oops. It was at a pool, though, so we had fun swimming anyway.

July: We are making our bi-annual pilgrimage to visit my family and meet my brand new niece. Hooray!

Well, first I have to buy the vegan marshmallows, something I rarely do because I'm the only one in the family who likes them and I end up eating the entire package. But, assuming I brave that, I like to get them slightly charred, let them cool and then carefully eat.

How was your weekend?

Eh.

Yesterday, I took my son to a pool party with a bunch of boychoir families, which was nice. I've just had an awful lot of social time recently, though, and the introvert in me is ready to just . . . not . . . for a while. But it was a pleasant enough day.

Then, my daughter went to a party last night. We're walking this weird line with her, now that she's older and out of school. Most of the people with whom she does theatre and, therefore, socializes, are older. We definitely want her to plug into the community, both because she needs a social life and because the informal contact is good networking. But she's still finding her way and her place in those situations. She has some social anxiety that she's still working to manage. Also, she doesn't drive. So, I ended up driving her over there and then waiting in the car close by with the dog and my audiobook until she was ready to come home.

It went well. She had a good time and had a chance to meet some folks with whom she hasn't done any shows yet. And word is starting to get around about how good she's going to be in the show she's opening next month. So, it was a good experience for her. But it meant I didn't get home until pretty late.

Today was pleasant. We went to the farmers' market and the library and planned an evening of movies and snackage. But my son is going through what I hope is a phase of being just sullen and unhappy. And it's getting to me. Everything we said to him at dinner was wrong, which turned into my daughter retreating to her room and my husband and I having an unhappy discussion about the whole situation.

We all tried to rally, but the evening was less than fun.

Not for me.

My son has a couple more weeks of volunteering at the theatre day camps. And his choir is rehearsing weekly to prepare for the England trip in August. They have a couple of performances locally this month.

My daughter is volunteering for and attending a Harry Potter convention in mid-July. And rehearsals are picking up for her show.

So, you know, I'll be driving them places. Yay.

This weekend I cleaned out the dread drawers in hubby's room, sold another 7 bags of books, put spot remover on all the little spots on the carpet, twice, cleaned the oven, did the laundry, dusted, cleaned out the fridge, went through the classroom closet to remind myself of just what I do and do not have, bought the last dribs for next year's schooling, re-read the logic age part of TWTM, and started Xenophon's The March Up Country, which I know I will find an inspiring read. I also watched Sir Attenborough's Darwin and the Tree of Life and read a chapter of On the Origin of Species.

The boys went to the Nelson in Kansas City, the dome in Topeka to see John Curry's raging John Brown mural, the WW1 museum and memorial tower, as well as the old Union Station where I, as a child, liked to stick my finger in the bullet holes left from the 1933 Kansas City Massacre.

1. I like them on smores but can only eat about two before the sweetness factor becomes too much for me.

2. My day was great. Today is my birthday so I pretty much lounged around and let my family serve me. Plus the sun came out for a change.:001_smile:

3. Lots. My birthday is today! Our anniversary is the 17th (19 years). My dh birthday is later this month. My ds16 is going on a short term missions trip. Whew!

I like my marshmallows uniformly crispy on the outside...mostly black. I actually like them without chocolate and graham crackers. I eat the chocolate separately.

I got all of dd14's subjects planned and scheduled this weekend, as well as half of dd13's.

My SIL (the one we get along with) is coming for 4th of July week. On the agenda: going to the movies, bowling, bike riding, card games and board games, horse back riding, lots of cooking\eating, and cooking out at the lake. We also start our new school year on the 16th.

:D

Edited by 5LittleMonkeys

First question: How do you like to toast your marshmallows? Golden brown all the way around - crisp on the outside and melty on the inside!

How was your weekend? So-so. Big kids spent all of Saturday on a college film set as extras, one had a tummy-ache and was miserable. Spent today at church and at a museum in the afternoon to get out of the heat!

Is anything special happening in the month of July? My DD's 8th birthday! Yay!

I like my marshmallows on fire and burnt to a crisp!

My weekend was short. Friday night the kids had their end of VBS performance. We went for ice cream to celebrate (so much for low carb!)

Saturday, dh took 6 of the kids to the pool while I stayed home with ds b/c he was pitching a fit about something and lost pool privileges. Sunday was church and lesson planning.

July could be a big month for us. Ds turns 8 in a few days and dh and I both have our bdays too. We should find out by the end of next week if dh is getting the job in Tennessee he wants. If so, July will be packing and moving across country. :001_smile:

My son is gone for his 9th birthday :( I'm by myself except my step daughter (17yrs old) is coming starting tomorrow... for 2 wks. (We have her 2 wks on and 2 wks off...)

I sorted Legos tonight.... and also ate some Dark Peanut Butter cups from Trader Joe's...

I'm a bit sad that my son is gone for his bd... :( But... hope he has an awesome time!! :)

Slowly, so the insides are melted too.

How was your weekend?

Pretty good. Saturday was crazy. I made chorizo and eggs for breakfast and then went on a 4 mile walk in the rain with my son (at the wildlife refuge). When I came back, I baked gluten free pumpkin bars, two loaves of chocolate chip pumpkin bread, two loaves of artisan bread, and made Navy beans for dinner.

A couple of things coming up: a big decision about a sticky situation, meeting an online friend for lunch in Portland this week, an exchange student from China arriving to stay with us for a few weeks, and a four day camping trip/star party on the dry side of the state.

Penny - We haven't finished school yet and you're talking about starting!

Now Jean, you're forgetting that the operative word was "planning". And I may still be doing just that come Aug. 16....;)

Oh, and I forgot to add that I am starting a book study on the 12th with some homeschooling moms from church using "Lies Homeschooling Moms Believe". Looking forward to that! (My July was looking pretty boring, frankly.)

BTW, loved the smores - they were delicious and NO calories. You may have started a new diet fad - "virtual" desserts!