If my son were named Andrew James LN, I would call him  

1 member has voted

1. 1. If my son were named Andrew James LN, I would call him

• Andrew
    • Andy
    • Drew
    • AJ
    • Other

What nickname or name would you call a boy named Andrew James?

DS and the kids really love the name. I'm not 100% sold but its hard to resist when my 3 year old keeps walking up to me asking to kiss "Baby Andrew" through my tummy. I have 6 months to get used to it, but if I change it, I need to do it soon.

Edited by ChristineW

I voted Andrew, but would consider calling him Drew. It would just depend on his personality after he got here. One of my dds was going to be called by a common nickname for her given name, but after she got here, the nickname just didn't fit her. She goes by her full first name.

I LOVE the name Andrew! So much that it's my first son's name (and had we not already had a family name in mind for his middle, James would have been a great choice; I love Andrew James). We call him Andrew. I like the nickname Andy just fine, or I wouldn't have used Andrew, but my brother found it hard to grow out of his own childhood nickname, and I didn't want to saddle my son with that. I wanted it to be his choice to go by a nickname or not, so we always introduced him as Andrew and never wavered on that. At 7, he chooses to be Andrew and dislikes being called Andy. Drew has never been on the radar.

I have to say, I do like AJ a lot too. IMO, you really can't go wrong with any of them. :)

We are using initials for my soon-to-be-adopted-son. So I can so see that.

I tend to actually use a name every which way. I likely would call him Andrew mostly, but he'd very regularly be called Andrew James and then maybe Drew. I MIGHT use Andy but it isn't really me. And I didn't think I was an initials person, but obviously now I am (though we do have a specific reason this time which wouldn't be the case with your ds's name).

I have a friend with an Andrew. She insisted that she was going to call him Drew. He never was, he was Andrew, still is as a teen. It fits his personality. I like Drew for a nickname though.

My cousin did the exact same thing - named her ds Andrew, planned on calling him Drew, but never did. He's 15 now.

The thing is, you can't really choose a child's nickname long term. I had a friend who named his child Christopher, wanting him to be called 'Kit'. As soon as he got to school, he became 'Chris'. My friend hated 'Chris' but the child liked it.

So I would make sure that you like every possible nickname that could come from your chosen name, because you just don't know what you'll end up with. 'Hobbes' current nickname at school is not my favourite, but he likes it and it's fine.

Laura

:lol: The same thing happened to me. My DD (then 4) named her sister (who was still in my tummy), Chloe. I don't know where she got the name, but she wouldn't here of any other. She kept saying it, so it kind of stuck.

I like the name Andrew it is strong and kind sounding. Not sure on the knick name but whatever the kids are already calling him will probably not change. My sister name her son Jaxson, and we were supposed to call him Jax for short. But nobody ever did:(

What nickname or name would you call a boy named Andrew James?

DS and the kids really love the name. I'm not 100% sold but its hard to resist when my 3 year old keeps walking up to me asking to kiss "Baby Andrew" through my tummy. I have 6 months to get used to it, but if I change it, I need to do it soon.

The thing is, you can't really choose a child's nickname long term.

My college roommate's name was Susan. Her immediate family called her Susan. Her extended family called her Susie. But one of the first people she met at school started calling her Sue and soon after all her college friends knew her as Sue which was not a nickname she'd ever had before.

:iagree:

The thing is, you can't really choose a child's nickname long term.

So I would make sure that you like every possible nickname that could come from your chosen name, because you just don't know what you'll end up with.

Laura

I like using the whole first name. A nickname might happen after you've talked with him for a while when he's born. He may just "feel" like an Andy or Drew, or he may "feel" like Andrew. Just run with what your gut is telling you to do once you meet him. :)

I have an Andrew Joseph who gets all of the above. We started off calling him Drew. As he got older, he switched mostly to Andrew. His siblings often call him Andy (which really fits him well). And my dad calls him AJ. I usually refer to him as Andrew, but call him DrewDrew, Drewsie, AndyDrew, or AndyJoe (which he hates anyone but me to call him ... it's one of those buttons his siblings push sometimes).

Oh, and then there's the other nickname that the neighbor gave him. When we moved in, she asked him if he went by Andrew or Drew. He replied, "Both." And "Both" it is with that family, kind of his own little joke with them.

Edited by higginszoo

We intended to have our Andrew go by Drew, but it never happened. He really just seems like an Andrew to us. Some of his friends have started to call him Andy, but more often he just gets called by our last name.