Menu

If you were buying a tablet now, what would you buy....

We have a first gen iPad that's wifi only and I use it quite a lot. We play games, listen to music, watch Netflix, and I surf a lot.

I like the size more than the fire. I don't like the nook but don't have any good reasons.

Large memory is probably the biggest need.

I love my IPAD. I have a 32 gb which is plenty of memory and WIFI only. There is WIFI at most places, a friend is getting the 3g one to use it in the car. WHen thinking about what to get I looked at apps and my music and photos to see how much memory I would need and where I would be using it, mostly at home and places like church who have free wifi.

Sheri

I have a first generation Ipad with 3G.

I still use it everyday.

I like having the 3G option-- great for maps when I'm on the road (being rural this is quite a bit of the time!). It is great not having a contract--- $15 per month when I need it---

DD10 has the Kindle Fire-- it is fine for her--but she prefers the Ipad!

There is NO comparison-- the Ipad rules the tablets at the moment-- better aps better feel better ratings...

Someday I might upgrade my 'old' Ipad--but for now it works just great!

We (as a family) use it for games/aps, streaming Netflix, lists...

I use it as my primary Bible, to enter data in my spreadsheet (Numbers) for my tutoring, some books, recipes, maps, checking my e-mail when someone is using MY Mac-- and some games!

Guest normanyclark

I like to buy HTC Flyer tablet now. It has 7 inch display frame which is advantages for the browsing,designing,presentation and data formats. It maintains nice touch screen.It has digital pen.It perform instant browsing due to presence of search engines.It is light in weight.

If we had $400+ lying around we would have definitely gone with the iPad. No questions. However, $ was an issue and I also wanted an e-reader device. Back in February when many major chain stores were offering $50 GCs with the purchase of a Kindle Fire, we went for it. The kids LOVE it. I LOVE it. The size appeals to me (not too big, not too small). That being said, I am still secretly pining for an iPad. In fact, I am wondering if getting an iPad instead of another laptop for my dd would be more beneficial. I hear you can hook up a normal keyboard to it and it does pretty much everything a laptop would do. Any thoughts? (Sorry to hijack...you can PM me if anyone has opinions on the iPad vs. a laptop).

I'm waiting to see if the rumors are true that Amazon will be coming out with a 10 inch Fire. I'm also going to look at the new Microsoft tablet. While I love, love, love, my iPhone, I'm not a fan of Apple in general. Whatever I end up getting, I'll probably stick with wifi only. I rarely find myself in a situation where I actually need (as opposed to want) 3G, and if I do, I have my phone.

I love my iPad 2, and I would buy another one in heartbeat. It does everything I need it to, and I can set security on it so my kids can use it without worrying what they are seeing when I am not there.

My dh has a kindle fire. It suits his needs, but the kids are not allowed on it, because there are no parental controls.

Love love love my iPad. In fact we love it so much we have 4 of them. :D

:iagree: Only we have two now and will get a third by the end of the year for our family of 3. DH and I use them for work. DD uses them for school and fun.

Because we have 2 we bought a hotspot from Sprint and got wifi only. That way we can get both online at the same time.

I'm going to wait and see what the Microsoft Surface runs for. Dh wants a new Google table that is coming out. The google tablet supposedly runs better than the fire. http://money.cnn.com/2012/06/28/technology/nexus-7-tablet/?source=cnn_bin

For 199, that may be the route I go as well. Ds is holding out for the Ipad. He is the lone apple freak in our family.

If we had $400+ lying around we would have definitely gone with the iPad. No questions. However, $ was an issue and I also wanted an e-reader device. Back in February when many major chain stores were offering $50 GCs with the purchase of a Kindle Fire, we went for it. The kids LOVE it. I LOVE it. The size appeals to me (not too big, not too small). That being said, I am still secretly pining for an iPad. In fact, I am wondering if getting an iPad instead of another laptop for my dd would be more beneficial. I hear you can hook up a normal keyboard to it and it does pretty much everything a laptop would do. Any thoughts? (Sorry to hijack...you can PM me if anyone has opinions on the iPad vs. a laptop).

My ipad has replaced my laptop for almost everything and I don't even have a keyboard. With a keyboard it might totally replace it. There are still a few work related things I do that aren't yet safari compatible. I can get around that by using the photon browser but since I still have a computer I just use the computer.

In the future our plan is one desktop at the office and one at home for the family to share and ipad's instead of laptops for everyone. We will switch the desktop to mac instead of pc because we want the integration with iphoto, imovie, etc.

Also, I highly recommend buying the refurbished ipad2 from the apple store online. It is much less expensive and comes with the same warranty as new. We've purchased several refurbished for family members and have had no issues. I think the 16gb wifi is only $299 and the 32gb is $399.

I'm waiting until the holidays, when I'll probably get the new version of the ASUS Transformer Prime... unless there are any more surprises lurking. I'm hoping there are, because I'd love, love, love something with the precision of a WACOM-style pen, but in a high-end tablet.

If I had to get one right now... I'd get a 64GB Transformer Prime... but I'm fine with my fire-sale HP Touchpad (running Android) for now.

I just bought the girls their own ASUS/Google Nexus 7 tablets, but I want something bigger for myself.

ETA:

I'd get WiFi only.

Edited by nmoira