Menu

Summer Reading Program RANT

Guest submarines
I see your point, but disagree. My kids stink at sports. They excel at reading, and actually love it. So I let them get prizes for something they are very very good at. Exercise is great for you too, sports, physical activity. They should exercise for the point of exercising, the enjoyment of the game, the health benefits. That doesn't mean a kid shouldn't be rewarded with a prize for sports now and again .... or a team t-shirt. The reading program t-shirt is the team t-shirt for mine.

Sports, by definition, are competitive. Reading is not. I think it is a general problem with our society that everyone should get a prize, no matter what. Everyone gets a ribbon. Everyone does "a good job." So what if I don't play a competitive sport? I should be getting medals anyway, like everyone else. But really? Should I?

If an activity doesn't require competition and winning, what's the point of artificially creating them? This kind of approach (not yours, but in general) leads to the general sense of entittlement, and we've seen what this leads too.

[/color]

:grouphug: How very sad. No one questions us- we actually carry our library book in a laundry basket. The librarian tells us we're GREAT for keeping their circulation numbers up.

Does your library REALLY have children crying in the stacks because the library ran out of books?:confused: ANd 25 books in 3 weeks isn;t even a book/day.

So, what happened with your complaint?

The funny thing is, there are hardly ever any other kids there. When I do see them, they are usually on the computers playing games. Half the time the children's librarian is off doing other things in other areas of the library because there is nothing for her to do when there are no children. So no, no children crying in the stacks because there are not enough books. Plus, our branch mainly has pop culture type books (books based on TV shows, Disney Fairies etc.). DD mainly likes historical fiction and mystery books, so these are coming from other libraries through ILL...we are not really taking books from our own branch.

As far as my complaint...nothing was really said back to me. The nice librarian, like I said, was very astonished and upset that the not so nice librarian did this. She turned in my complaint for me. On another trip in, I noticed the not so nice librarian avoiding me (or so it seemed) so I think she knew who complained.

Since then, the nice librarian has gone out of her way to encourage DD in her reading. She even talked to DD about the types of books she has read to get a feel for her preferences and reading level, talked to me about what our family is ok with her reading, and took down DD's library card number. Now, when nice librarian comes up with something she thinks DD would enjoy, she uses DD's card number to place it on hold for her. DD really has enjoyed some of her "surprise" books.:001_smile:

I'd be making a complaint to her supervisor. There is NO excuse for treating a child like that, especially in a program that was clearly spelled out for rules ahead of time.

:iagree: When my ds's were young our library's program went by hours. They knew us well enough (small library) to know the boys would be done quickly. We've moved since then and the library here has a lame program so we don't participate. In your situation I would file a complaint. The librarian changed the rules for your child after your child followed the rules as they were established.

I avoid the library with my kids if I can, too much twaddle. I prefer to reserve the books we need online and just run in. I have also noticed that the suggested books are always way too easy for my kids.

That said, reading fewer books more slowly is an important skill to have. The mind will have more time to relish the ideas found within the books and make connections to other ideas and subjects if the book is read in chunks with time in between. I'm not saying this is how every book should be read, obviously Diary of a Wimply Kid need not be savored, but most challenging and classic literature will be more filling, so to speak, if it is nibbled at instead of swallowed whole. It allows for the deeper absorption of new ideas and vocabulary. Spending more time with a book also allows the book to become more like an good friend, while speed reading creates more of an aquaintance.

Now, while this type of enrichment may not be the point of a summer reading program, this type of thinking may have something to do with the attitude of the librarian. She may think that by reading the books so quickly, your daughter is not getting as much out of the reading as she could have, or that maybe the books are not challenging her enough. After all, the point is not just to read, and we want our kids to get something more out of it than just a t-shirt.

So, my daughter shouldn't get what other kids are getting because she reads well? I get what you are saying, I do, but these programs are just designed to get patrons in the library during the "low" summer months. Not to encourage struggling readers. Libraries get funds based on how many books they check out. During the summer, the numbers fall....hence the creation of the summer reading program.

My daughter would read these books whether she was a part of the program or not, why not get a free book and a free t-shirt too?

And if the programs are just for struggling readers they need to be open about that, and give every child a test to determine whether they are actually struggling or not.

My daughter shouldn't feel like she is doing something wrong because she reads well, and quickly. It's like the color of her eyes or her height, she was just born this way.

:iagree:

We normally doesn't "do" rewards, but it also depends on what the reward is.

Free pizza? No thanks.

Free book? Yes. (Isn't that the point of the "Punished by Rewards" book? The internal reward for reading is being a better reader, so what better way than to get a new book! The reward for playing a complicated piece of music is to learn an even more complicated piece. Etc.)

Free T-shirt? Yes. (DS is into T-shirts that promote different causes, organizations and such and would get a kick out of a T-shirt promoting the library.)

Our library gives coupons to local junk food places, so we skip it.

The library reading programs were created to get people into the library in the summer and to promote literacy. It has nothing to do with how well a person can already read. Our library even has a summer reading program (with prizes) for adults. I can't imagine them telling an adult they read to good to participate!

My rant is a tad different, but summer reading related. My kids all completed the easy Barnes and Noble summer reading program. I was so disappointed by the level of the books associated with each grade. My ds is in 6th and the books for his grade are not even up to the reading level associated with the grade. Some of them were listed on the back of the book for a 4th grader :confused: I realize not all kids are up to their reading level, but come on. I asked a worker and told her how we either had all the books or they were way too babyish for my ds and she just looked at me :confused:
Same here!

In fact, we had a similar experience at B&N as the OP had with her local library.

B&N is the only summer reading program we do, because they give a new paperback book. But the reading level of the books offered this year were all below grade level. I got the :confused: look when I commented on it to the sales person in the kids department.

Then we went to check out and the cashier raised an eyebrow and asked how DS could have possibly read all those books already. DS replied, "Those are only the books I read for school this month and doesn't include the books I read for fun." :lol: It is true. We often find him up at 1 and 2 in the morning, reading away. :tongue_smilie: No way could I track all the books he read "for fun."

I don't disagree with the fact that people expect to get rewards for things, and it's silly, and we all shouldn't get stickers for every single thing we do. BUT, the library decided to give out prizes, had a certain requirement to get those prizes and they should just stick with that. They shouldn't say, "Gee, that was too easy for you, so we changed our minds." In a sports game if a kid is really good at something, the ref doesn't suddenly go, "Gee, you are too good at baseball, now we've decided that you have to run the bases 2 times to earn a home run." Also my daughter shouldn't be expected to say, "Gee, I am too good of a reader I don't deserve a t-shirt. I am 8 years old and look forward to getting these t-shirts every year, but it's not fair to the slow readers, and I will opt out of the prize."

It's always fun to see where these threads lead isn't it....:lol:!

I should have just said, "She did what you asked, so maybe you need to rethink your rules for next year." But, what I am going to do is go back in a few weeks, and try to see the other librarian(or hope the first one forgets what happened ;)). If not, I will calmly confront her.

But I am not leaving without my dang t-shirt and book next time ;)!

My rant is a tad different, but summer reading related. My kids all completed the easy Barnes and Noble summer reading program. I was so disappointed by the level of the books associated with each grade. My ds is in 6th and the books for his grade are not even up to the reading level associated with the grade. Some of them were listed on the back of the book for a 4th grader :confused: I realize not all kids are up to their reading level, but come on. I asked a worker and told her how we either had all the books or they were way too babyish for my ds and she just looked at me :confused:

I never even asked. We just picked whatever book we wanted even if it didn't match the grade level. AND sometimes, I'd pick a book for another child because the prize winner didn't have anything new to pick on their list (I'd buy something else for the prize winner that wasn't on their special list.)

So, my daughter shouldn't get what other kids are getting because she reads well? I get what you are saying, I do, but these programs are just designed to get patrons in the library during the "low" summer months. Not to encourage struggling readers. Libraries get funds based on how many books they check out. During the summer, the numbers fall....hence the creation of the summer reading program.

My daughter would read these books whether she was a part of the program or not, why not get a free book and a free t-shirt too?

And if the programs are just for struggling readers they need to be open about that, and give every child a test to determine whether they are actually struggling or not.

My daughter shouldn't feel like she is doing something wrong because she reads well, and quickly. It's like the color of her eyes or her height, she was just born this way.

I must be simple-minded because to me it's just always something to look forward to during the summer. I think it's great that the library brings an awareness to reading outside of what's required during school time. I'm happy it's open to everyone. I read when I had a chance (my parents were not readers, and I was not taken to the library or bought books outside of Sweet Valley High when I was older), but I would have loved something like this when I was growing up. One of my fondest memories was the Scholastic Book Fair. My mom always gave me money for that.

To me, it's just a summer tradition. I like traditions. :)

Edited by nestof3

I try to avoid the library during the summer, period. We do not have the problem of low numbers of patrons here. It's so weird--during the school year, the shelves are overflowing with books, and then summer starts and the shelves are practically empty. I can always tell when the school district is having a school break because the books disappear from the library!

And Summer Reading programs are way too lame for my kids...twenty minutes a day tops? Seriously? We have a mandatory one hour free read plus the other hour of read alouds before bedtime...it's frustrating to my kids that all six of those twenty-minute increments don't count towards their quota. They're doing the work and not receiving the rewards.

I'm thinking about instituting my own Summer Reading program next year that encourages them (especially my eldest) to read longer and more difficult books. (She's the queen of blasting through thin twaddle books and complaining about a book longer than 100 pages...ugh!)

I do institute my own because the books B&N offers are either lame (IMO) or they've been read. Same with the library.

I don't think read alouds ever count in reading programs unless your kids are the ones reading aloud. Why wouldn't the mandatory reading count? Wouldn't they read it even if it were not mandatory?

I try to avoid the library during the summer, period. We do not have the problem of low numbers of patrons here. It's so weird--during the school year, the shelves are overflowing with books, and then summer starts and the shelves are practically empty. I can always tell when the school district is having a school break because the books disappear from the library!

And Summer Reading programs are way too lame for my kids...twenty minutes a day tops? Seriously? We have a mandatory one hour free read plus the other hour of read alouds before bedtime...it's frustrating to my kids that all six of those twenty-minute increments don't count towards their quota. They're doing the work and not receiving the rewards.

I'm thinking about instituting my own Summer Reading program next year that encourages them (especially my eldest) to read longer and more difficult books. (She's the queen of blasting through thin twaddle books and complaining about a book longer than 100 pages...ugh!)

Now, while this type of enrichment may not be the point of a summer reading program, this type of thinking may have something to do with the attitude of the librarian. She may think that by reading the books so quickly, your daughter is not getting as much out of the reading as she could have, or that maybe the books are not challenging her enough. After all, the point is not just to read, and we want our kids to get something more out of it than just a t-shirt.

You are assuming that my daughter didn't read quality books or didn't comprehend them. I guess I don't understand why a fast reader with extremely high comprehension is supposed to do...read slower just because? That's fine if you have a different philosophy about reading books than I do. And in the summer I don't decide what she reads, she can read whatever twaddle(or not) she wants. For school work, I do require she reads certain "quality" books. I don't see a problem with that for us. And I don't have a problem if you want your kids to do something different.

The point is to read, and get a t-shirt. 25 picture books, or 1000 pages of chapter books. If it wasn't the library needed to explain that in their rules.

[/color]

So, what happened with your complaint?

Since then, the nice librarian has gone out of her way to encourage DD in her reading. She even talked to DD about the types of books she has read to get a feel for her preferences and reading level, talked to me about what our family is ok with her reading, and took down DD's library card number. Now, when nice librarian comes up with something she thinks DD would enjoy, she uses DD's card number to place it on hold for her. DD really has enjoyed some of her "surprise" books.:001_smile:

VERY cool! What a great librarian!

I don't disagree with the fact that people expect to get rewards for things, and it's silly, and we all shouldn't get stickers for every single thing we do. BUT, the library decided to give out prizes, had a certain requirement to get those prizes and they should just stick with that. They shouldn't say, "Gee, that was too easy for you, so we changed our minds." In a sports game if a kid is really good at something, the ref doesn't suddenly go, "Gee, you are too good at baseball, now we've decided that you have to run the bases 2 times to earn a home run." Also my daughter shouldn't be expected to say, "Gee, I am too good of a reader I don't deserve a t-shirt. I am 8 years old and look forward to getting these t-shirts every year, but it's not fair to the slow readers, and I will opt out of the prize."

:lol: :lol: :lol:

yeah- I'd like to see them try that (bolded above)... might end up with a new TV show: "Little League Moms."

Oooooh! That just made me think of a great reality show: Library Moms. ("Summer Reading Program Moms" is just too long.) Just like Dance Moms but for moms like us, whose kids excel at reading. We can make it a competitive sport, costumes can be literary characters...

Who's in? :D

I did that this year and I've loved how it has worked out so far. I wanted my kids to do specific "school-ish" things every day. It includes reading, but it also includes, for instance, xtramath for my DD and writing for DS9. They check off every day they do it and at the end of the month, we do something fun together. It's easy for me to implement and I'm getting in the things I want to.

VERY cool! What a great librarian!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

yeah- I'd like to see them try that (bolded above)... might end up with a new TV show: "Little League Moms."

Oooooh! That just made me think of a great reality show: Library Moms. ("Summer Reading Program Moms" is just too long.) Just like Dance Moms but for moms like us, whose kids excel at reading. We can make it a competitive sport, costumes can be literary characters...

:lol::lol::lol:

Nothing to add, except that I think the concept of a Summer Cookie Eating Contest is absolutely brilliant. If you find one, I want to sign up! I'd also go with a fall, winter, or spring cookie eating contest -- I'm pretty lowkey that way.

I find it silly for us specifically (like challenging me to a summer cookie eating contest :lol:),

I never even asked. We just picked whatever book we wanted even if it didn't match the grade level. AND sometimes, I'd pick a book for another child because the prize winner didn't have anything new to pick on their list (I'd buy something else for the prize winner that wasn't on their special list.)
But when you have a 5th/6th grader, which is the highest level they offer for their summer reading program, and the books are on a 4th grade reading level... It is rather silly that a bookstore would promote books below grade level, as it is assuming that children can't or won't read on grade level which is just plain bad for their business. :confused:

I did pick the free book and will give it to someone as a gift and I let DS pick his own book (on his reading level) for his prize.

(I just pulled up reading levels for the B&N books at the 5th/6th grade level. The Phantom Tollbooth had the highest reading level, around 5.4. The rest were at the 4th grade level.)

To me, it's just a summer tradition. I like traditions.

I totally agree!

I think this is the very core of the library's summer reading programs --- make going to the library part of that tradition, which will then be passed down to another generation.

I am in my mid-40s and have such fond, fond memories of going to the library for the summer reading program. When I visit my hometown library and walk down those rickety old stairs to the children's section (housed in the basement of an old house), I am suddenly 10-years-old again and excited about selecting new books to take home with me for a few weeks.

I don't think read alouds ever count in reading programs unless your kids are the ones reading aloud. Why wouldn't the mandatory reading count? Wouldn't they read it even if it were not mandatory?

It does for our program here. It says it on the top of the form. They start the summer reading program at age 0 here, to encourage mom/dad/caregiver to read to the littles and instill a love of books. Olders are expected to do the reading themselves, but littles have the read alouds count.

It does for our program here. It says it on the top of the form. They start the summer reading program at age 0 here, to encourage mom/dad/caregiver to read to the littles and instill a love of books. Olders are expected to do the reading themselves, but littles have the read alouds count.

Yeah, ours does that too. For some reason, I thought you were talking about read-alouds counting for those old enough to read. Sorry.

I'd be making a complaint to her supervisor. There is NO excuse for treating a child like that, especially in a program that was clearly spelled out for rules ahead of time.

:iagree: I am so sorry for your poor daughter, especially when she was handling it on her own like a responsible big kid. Did you say anything to the librarian about it?

And again, WHO CARES. Isn't the point just to get people in the library and not go all spanish inquisition on them???? Frankly, if some kid came in and told me they read War and Peace in 20 minutes I would just believe them and move on with my life!

:lol: YES! Exactly! I like your thinking!

:lol:

Ds got disillusioned with our library's summer reading program. It was based on reading time. One year there was a prize he really wanted, a Nerf gun I think. He worked so hard and the first day he could get it, we showed up as soon as the library opened, but they said someone already got it. I pointed out that it was physically impossible for anyone to have read the number of hours required before that day. They told me that some siblings pooled their hours for prizes. What? :mad:

I couldn't believe they allowed it. I was very angry, and wrote letters to all the right people in charge, but nothing changed. I think he was around 8 or 9 at the time, and he never wanted to participate in the program again.

Hmm, as I'm reading this I'm thinking ours is different in that there is no grand prize or one thing up for grabs by an overall winner. Everyone who participates gets the t-shirts and such.

The adults only are entered into a drawing for a prize, but again it is random draw not who read the most.

I think I like that. They don't even run out of t-shirts. They give away tons of them at the end that nobody wanted for free. We had a drawer full of them for a while as they tried to hand me more of them every week when I went to the library. :D

Nothing to add, except that I think the concept of a Summer Cookie Eating Contest is absolutely brilliant. If you find one, I want to sign up! I'd also go with a fall, winter, or spring cookie eating contest -- I'm pretty lowkey that way.

You are on and you are GOING DOWN :lol: !!

I'm going to start practicing tonight....

I'm going to be the odd one here, and say that I really dislike when reading is associated with external rewards. This is just so wrong on so many levels.

Second, the summer reading probrams are designed to encourage struggling readers. IMHO, a child who loves to read should be discouraged from signing up.

Pfft. So they shouldn't be encouraged to read more? :001_huh:

I remember the first, and last, year we did the summer book program. The "grand prize" winner was the librarian's son. He was about 4, and supposedly read OVER 350 books during the time period.

My 4 year old can easily read 350 books within a couple months. It would probably be a higher number if she was just reading picture books instead of so many chapter books. Yeah, it sounds suspicious because of the family relationship, but it isn't impossible.

I learned to read at 4. My mother was handicapped, so my Dad would drop us off at the library (back in the day) to go to story hour and check out books while he did the grocery shopping. My first summer reading program, when I was 5, I had listed the books I read the first week and turned in the form to the librarian. She told me I couldn't have read these books; I was just a little girl who hadn't even been to kindergarten yet! Then, when she discovered that my parents were not at the library, she became very upset. She called my home and spoke to my mother who was patient and kind. The librarian then asked me to read aloud from one of the books I had listed (50 years later, I still remember the book, a photographic nature journal about beavers). She sort of snippily signed my form.

The next week, she was right there to welcome me to the library and help me find books from the big kids section (chapter books). After that, she spent time every visit to discuss books and share my love of reading. She let me help make book displays and shelve the books. I visited her once a week until she retired when I was in high school.

My second year of teaching, I took my class on a tour of the local hospital. There she was, volunteering! She gave my class a big talk, in Spanish, about how much I had loved to read and about how much joy they could get from reading.

I will never forget Mrs. Faulkenstein!

I guess the moral of this long story works both ways. When confronted with a suspicious situation, especially involving children, be loving and gracious. Give them a chance. When confronted with intolerance and suspicion, be loving and gracious and give the person a chance. It's really annoying and hurtful to be confronted and to have the rules change, especially when you have exceeded expectations. It is also an opportunity to make a friend!

Okay, so after my venting about the lack of reading, Nathan started and finished Wonder, and Ben read half of Henry Huggins. Today was good. :D

:D There is something about minecraft with kids! Before that, he was interested in the computer but not obsessed.

duh! I forgot to say my vent about reading programs. I hate them. lol. But I feel guilty not doing them b/c the librarians seem so excited and we are there all the time so......

Mostly I am lazy and hate trying to remember to keep track. Ds forgets too- he reads a lot and often.

Edited by kwg

I don't generally rely on a lot of rewards to motivate my kids, but I don't find that a few, occasional rewards spoil their internal motivation. My oldest is a voracious reader and she'd read (and read and read and read) regardless of the availability of prizes. The prize she is most looking forward to getting is a book. There are some other small prizes given through our local summer reading program, but the book is what she really wants. The same goes for the Half Price Book Summer Reading Program. The prize is a coupon good for $5 towards a book. In my mind, these types of prizes are not that much different from the rewards internal motivation bring, since reading itself becomes, in effect, the reward.

I always though that summer reading programs were intended to help keep kids involved in some kind of academic activity through the summer months when they're out of school. I've never heard that it is specifically for struggling readers. It's true we would be reading, summer reading program or not, but we just think of it as a fun summer tradition, as others have mentioned. I remember participating in these types of programs when I was a child, and I loved to read.

I'm going to be the odd one here, and say that I really dislike when reading is associated with external rewards. This is just so wrong on so many levels.
Our library system rewards with the option of a book at every "step." Rewarding reading with a book is, well, dreamy in my book. :D Rewards also include a options of passes and tickets to local activities, including a local children's theatre, a small amusement park, and a ticket to set the Trail Blazers. These are fun, and get the kids out doing things around their city.

Second, the summer reading probrams are designed to encourage struggling readers. IMHO, a child who loves to read should be discouraged from signing up. Reading should be for the sake of reading--discovering new things, having fun, getting immersed in a good boo, not for the sake of getting a t-shirt. The whole concept of "rewarding" a voracious reader for reading (with a t-shirt, of all things) doesn't make any sense.
Not around here. It's to celebrate our shared love of reading, something that helps bind us together culturally and as a community.

But I guess this sounds so strange to me, as I've been a follower of "Punished by Rewards" by Alfie Kohn for years now.
Few annoy me as much as Kohn. I find he consistently reads too much into the research and any sound points he makes (and there are some) are diminished by Kohn's bizarre take on the fragility of children and lack of resilience they possess.

My friends all laugh at me as I drive to the next town over and use their library. The library in our town did a huge expansion/remodel, it has a coffee shop, state of the art everything, and I drive to the next town.:D

The library in the next town is lovely. They have the greatest staff, and that really makes a huge difference. The kids are greeted by name, the children's librarian often has a book she has hidden under the desk for ds.

The reading program is good. 20 minutes on 20 days, and you get a free book and a coupon (I think it is for a free scoop of ice cream or something, my kids just want the book)

Once a week you can fill out a slip of paper on a book you have read and enter the drawing. DD5 won the first one of the year. She gets a front row seat for the weekly activity (I think it is a musician this week) and another book. She is over the moon, best prize she has ever won:D

I used to think that but don't anymore. Ds has never needed encouragement to read, but he would get stuck in a reading rut. I used reading programs to encourage him to read different genres.

Second, the summer reading probrams are designed to encourage struggling readers. IMHO, a child who loves to read should be discouraged from signing up. Reading should be for the sake of reading--discovering new things, having fun, getting immersed in a good boo, not for the sake of getting a t-shirt. The whole concept of "rewarding" a voracious reader for reading (with a t-shirt, of all things) doesn't make any sense.
Not in my area. Reading programs accomplish a number of goals, only one of which is to encourage reluctant or struggling readers. They're also used as I mentioned above, to get kids to try new books/genres, to get kids talking with others about the books they read, and just to share a love a reading in general.

But I guess this sounds so strange to me, as I've been a follower of "Punished by Rewards" by Alfie Kohn for years now.

Kohn doesn't seem to understand the difference between reinforcement and reward. Either that or he purposely ignores it in order to push his agenda.

• 2 weeks later...