Menu

Book a Week in 2012 - Week 25

Good Morning, my lovelies! Today is the start of week 25 in our quest to read 52 books in 52 weeks. Welcome back to all our readers, welcome to all those just joining in and to all who are following our progress. Mr. Linky is all set up on the 52 books blog to link to your reviews.

52 Books Blog - Dorothy Leigh Sayers: Highlighting Sayers this week since June 13th is the anniversary of her birthday. It took me a while to put two and two together and realize she was the author of Lost Tools of Learning as well as the Lord Peter Wimsey series. In honor of Sayers, be sure to read one of her stories. Thank you Lisa (laughinglioness) for talking up Sayers and keeping us intrigued.

Happy Father's Day to all the WTM dads out there. Come out come out from where ever you are and say hi. We know you are reading. :001_smile:

What are you reading this week?

Link to week 24

This week, I read & enjoyed Pink Boots and a Machete. I posted my review at the end of last week's thread. It was a good summer book -- enjoyable, interesting, & fast-paced.

Still working on Napoleon's Pyramids by William Dietrich.

Also, I'm mostly through Clutter Busting Your Life by Brooks Palmer.

After being waitlisted at the library for awhile, I finally got Michael Ondaatje's The Cat's Table. I just started it.

"Amazon Best Books of the Month, October 2011: Michael Ondaatje's finely wrought new novel chronicles a young boy's passage from Sri Lanka to London onboard the Oronsay, both as it unfolds and in hindsight. Glancing off the author's own biography, the story follows 11-year-old Michael as he immerses himself in the hidden corners and relationships of a temporary floating world, overcoming its physical boundaries with the expanse of his imagination. The boy's companions at the so-called cat's table, where the ship’s unconnected strays dine together, become his friends and teachers, each leading him closer to the key that unlocks the Oronsay's mystery decades later. Elegantly structured and completely absorbing, The Cat's Table is a quiet masterpiece by a writer at the height of his craft."

--------------------------

My Goodreads Page

Completed the Europa Challenge Cappuccino Level (at least 6 Europa books: #s 4, 9, 10, 11, 14, 19, & 21 on my list).

Completed Robin's Read a Russian Author in April Challenge (#24 & #26 on my list).

My rating system: 5 = Love; 4 = Pretty awesome; 3 = Decently good; 2 = Ok; 1 = Don't bother (I shouldn't have any 1s on my list as I would ditch them before finishing)...

2012 Books Read:

01. Mozart's Last Aria by Matt Rees (3 stars)

02. Oh No She Didn't by Clinton Kelly (2 stars, if you're in the right mood, lol)

03. The Sisters Brothers by Patrick deWitt (4 stars)

04. In a Strange Room by Damon Galgut (4 stars)

05. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling (5 stars)

06. The Infernals by John Connolly (3 stars)

07. Kitchen by Banana Yoshimoto (2 stars)

08. The Coral Thief by Rebecca Stott (3 stars)

09. Zeroville by Steve Erickson (4.5 stars)

10. Broken Glass Park by Alina Bronsky (4 stars)

11. Hygiene and the Assassin by Amélie Nothomb (2 stars)

12. The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner (3 stars)

13. The Raw Shark Texts by Steven Hall (4 stars)

14. The Nun by Simonetta Agnello Hornby (4 stars)

15. The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern (5 stars)

16. The Enchanted April by Elizabeth von Arnim (3 stars)

17. The Devotion of Suspect X by Keigo Higashino (3 stars)

18. The Scrapbook of Frankie Pratt by Caroline Preston (3 stars)

19. Cooking with Fernet Branca by James Hamilton-Paterson (4 stars)

20. Stone Junction by Jim Dodge (3 stars)

21. Clash of Civilizations Over an Elevator in Piazza Vittorio by Amara Lakhous (3 stars)

22. Colony by Hugo Wilcken (5 stars)

23. Swimming to Antarctica by Lynne Cox (3 stars)

24. The Master & Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov (4.5 stars)

25. Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs (3 stars)

26. The Dream Life of Sukhanov by Olga Grushin (4 stars)

27. Vanishing Point by David Markson (3 stars)

28. I Am Half-Sick of Shadows by Alan Bradley (4 stars)

29. The Curious Case of the Clockwork Man by Mark Hodder (4 stars)

30. Unclutter Your Life in One Week by Erin Rooney Doland (2 stars)

31. Hounded by Kevin Hearne (4 stars)

32. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald (5 stars)

33. The Bookman by Lavie Tidhar (2 stars)

34. Anthem by Ayn Rand (3 stars)

35. Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte (2 stars; perhaps only 1 star...)

36. Pink Boots and a Machete by Mireya Mayor (3.5-4 stars)

Edited by Stacia

Finished Alafair Burke's Never Tell - suspense novel in her Ellie Hatcher series. Not fantastic, but good - keeps you guessing through the whole story who the bad guy is.

Working on another urban fantasy series by Lilith Saintcrow - Jill Kismet Series and finished # 2 Hunter's Prayer and # 3 Redemption Alley. Main character is a hunter and a very tough gal who battles evil and slays hellbreeds. About to start # 4 Flesh Circus.

Up next on the nightstand also: We inherited many books from my late mother in law a few years back and among them was a book by Sayers with three complete novels: Strong Poison, Have His Carcase and Unnatural Death. So will be reading one of them. Plus Jane Emily: And Witches Children by Patricia Clapp.

Finished a couple of books this week

45.) Selected Poems by John Donne - I found several poems in this book clever, and to a few individual poems I would have given 4 or 5 stars, but in general I thought these poems were dispassionate and often sexist. Yes, yes, dude is really old, but even if I were to excuse the sexism based on "the times" (and I won't, but if I did...), I still wouldn't enjoy reading about it.

46.) Finch by Jeff VanderMeer - Who can write a book about mushroom people and get away with it? I wavered between 3 and 4 stars for this book, but ultimately the ability to write a book about something so ridiculous and not have it end up head-bangingly awful warrants 4 stars. Also worth mention is the simultaneous beauty and grotesqueness of the setting. (Ah, the dusk-like phosphorescence of the fungus eating my rotten city.) BTW - This is actually book three in a series (and I think the final book). I haven't read the first two books and still enjoyed this one. I may go back and read the other two. (And thanks again to Robin who sent this to me a while back!)

A.J. Jacobs' latest, Drop Dead Healthy (#28) was OK. I did enjoy The Year of Living Biblically but found this one wasn't flying for me. Is one sophomoric book sufficient? There are a few laugh out loud moments in this new book on diet and exercise studies/trends/fads. But I think that I have had enough of A.J.'s self absorption. And, interestingly, so has my college age son who gave the latest a "meh".

I did find an enjoyable distraction which fortunately is the first in a series. The Crossing Places (#29) by Elly Griffiths introduces us to archaeologist/detective Ruth Galloway. Set in Britain, nothing heavy. I hope that her characters develop with the series.

Currently reading a book that came highly recommended to me by a friend, The Hare with Amber Eyes by Edmund De Waal. This is more than a family memoir. De Waal's questions concerning family treasure (a set of netsuke) lead him on a quest encompassing art and political history. Quite amazing so far.

Currently reading a book that came highly recommended to me by a friend, The Hare with Amber Eyes by Edmund De Waal. This is more than a family memoir. De Waal's questions concerning family treasure (a set of netsuke) lead him on a quest encompassing art and political history. Quite amazing so far.

Oh, I've had that one on my 'to-read' list for at least a year now! Looking forward to your review....

46.) Finch by Jeff VanderMeer - Who can write a book about mushroom people and get away with it? I wavered between 3 and 4 stars for this book, but ultimately the ability to write a book about something so ridiculous and not have it end up head-bangingly awful warrants 4 stars. Also worth mention is the simultaneous beauty and grotesqueness of the setting. (Ah, the dusk-like phosphorescence of the fungus eating my rotten city.) BTW - This is actually book three in a series (and I think the final book). I haven't read the first two books and still enjoyed this one. I may go back and read the other two. (And thanks again to Robin who sent this to me a while back!)

I must say that you make mushroom people sound pretty dang fascinating! :lol: I wonder if I would enjoy this book?

I just finished the wind up girl by Polao Bacigalupi. The book was amazing, one of the best I've read this year. My favorite had been Neil Gaimen's American Gods. I'm torn between the two for the top spot.:001_smile:

Anyone else here read it ( Wind up Girl)? The author built such great complex characters, and the story was so engaging. I found the dystopian future he presented totally believable.

I can't decide what to read next, but I'm leaning towards Great Expectations

I haven't posted for a few weeks.

40) The Wednesday Letters (Wright)

41) Shopaholic Ties the Knot (Kinsella)

42) Shopaholic and Sister (Kinsella)

43) SuperFreakonomics (Dubner and Leavitt)

I actually enjoyed SuperFreakonomics more than the first one. I bought it a year ago on a trip, and finally finished it. The global warming chapter was particularly enlightening. The other books were "meh". The Shopaholic character drives me insane. Why I read TWO books in a row is beyond me. It's so funny to find myself getting irritated with her, and then realizing, "Right, this is FICTIONAL BOOK THAT YOU DON'T HAVE TO READ!" But, of course I must finish it...

Anyway....:lol:!

A.J. Jacobs' latest, Drop Dead Healthy (#28) was OK. I did enjoy The Year of Living Biblically but found this one wasn't flying for me. Is one sophomoric book sufficient? There are a few laugh out loud moments in this new book on diet and exercise studies/trends/fads. But I think that I have had enough of A.J.'s self absorption. And, interestingly, so has my college age son who gave the latest a "meh".

Thanks for this, I won't be rushing out to read this. I think maybe the concept of what he does(trying new things in a reality TV sort of way and then writing a book about it) was interesting at first, and now it's getting a little old.

I just finished the wind up girl by Polao Bacigalupi. The book was amazing, one of the best I've read this year. My favorite had been Neil Gaimen's American Gods. I'm torn between the two for the top spot.:001_smile:

Anyone else here read it ( Wind up Girl)? The author built such great complex characters, and the story was so engaging. I found the dystopian future he presented totally believable.

I haven't read it (yet), but I do want to read it (along w/ American Gods). Both sound like great books!

Man oh man, I need to stay off the computer & spend more time reading! I already have a giant stack of a dozen library books sitting here looking at me, waiting on me to read them. :tongue_smilie:

I'm still reading "The Girl With No Shadow" by Joanne Harris, the author of "Chocolat". I'm really enjoying it...but everyone keeps needing to eat and go places and they actually expect me to speak to them more than once a day so I can't FINISH it!

I cannot make up my mind what is next. Maybe I'll try a Dorothy Sayer book. Any recommendations on where to start with her?

I must say that you make mushroom people sound pretty dang fascinating! :lol: I wonder if I would enjoy this book?

Well, let me tell you more about it. On the cover it is referred to as a "fungal noir" because it is about a city in which a fungal civilization has taken over and it is a noir style detective story. It is also referred to as a steampunk book, but I cannot imagine why. The story takes place over the course of a week and at the beginning of each day-section you get a snippet of an interrogation of the main character. The story begins:

Interrogator: What did you see then?

Finch: Nothing. I couldn't see anything.

I: Wrong answer.

[howls and screams and sobbing]

I: Had you ever met the Lady in Blue before?

F: No, but I'd heard her before.

And here's a random sample of the writing:

Muted lights from the buildings to either side. Like he saw them through a black curtain. Even the two towers seemed dulled, the emerald glow humble. A few sparkling clouds of spores, in blue and yellow, danced far out in the sky, to the south.

It is choppy and written in the third person, occasionally switching to Finch's thoughts, in italics, like this:

The door opened wide enough for Finch to smell soggy pulp. Trying to save the unsalvageable. A wavery yellow light crept into the hall.

Having no prior experience with noir I can't compare/contrast, but as a noir novice I enjoyed it - all of it - the characters, the setting, the writing style, and the plot, though I would say things get a little conveniently "anything's possible" towards the end. (Then again, if I had read the previous two books, maybe the things I considered "convenient" would have more basis.)

Thanks for this, I won't be rushing out to read this. I think maybe the concept of what he does(trying new things in a reality TV sort of way and then writing a book about it) was interesting at first, and now it's getting a little old.

I agree. I really laughed at and enjoyed "Know-it-all" but I'm finding I'll be lucky if I make it all the way through "The Guinea Pig Diaries".

The Bishop by Steven James. This is the fourth book in his Patrick Bowers Files series. I really wish I had started with book one since this one had so many spoilers from books two and three. This isn't a genre I read very much (christian thriller fiction) and there were parts I thought were pretty gruesome - like watching an episode of CSI. At least the language and s*x were pretty tame.

A congressman's daughter is found dead as her killers launch a spree of perfect murders in the Northeast. With nothing to link the crimes to each other, FBI Special Agent Patrick Bowers faces his most difficult case yet--even as his personal life begins to crumble around him.

I also finished Unplanned by Abby Johnson which I found eye-opening but not surprising. This was the first book I got from the Lend a Book feature on my Nook. I think I'll have to find more Nook friends now.

I think that puts me at 18 for the year. Hopefully I can catch up with the "2 a week" plan over the summer.

This week...

Started Reading:

Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

Still reading:

Desiring God

Completed:

27. Among the Gods

26. The Deadliest Monster

25. Faith of My Fathers

24. A Good American

23. They Say/I Say:The Moves That Matter in Academic Writing

22. Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking

21. Insurgent

20. Stand: A Call for the Endurance of the Saints

19. The Strength of His Hands

18. The Meaning of Marriage

17. Funny in Farsi

16. The Constantine Codex

15. What the Dog Saw

14. What is the Mission of the Church?: Making Sense of Social Justice, Shalom, and the Great Commission

13. Gods and Kings

12. A Skeleton in God's Closet

11. My Hands Came Away Red

10. The Omnivore's Dilemma

9. Dead Heat

8. Redeeming Love

7. Family Driven Faith: What it Takes to Raise Sons and Daughters Who Walk with God

6. Organized Simplicity

5. Year of Wonders

4. The Holiness of God

3. The Paris Wife

2. The Peach Keeper

1. Relic

1. Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children;

Celestially Auspicious Occasions

2. The Mysterious Benedict Society; The Invention of Hugo Cabret

3. The Picture of Dorian Gray

4. Wuhu Diary

5. The Secret Life of the Dyslexic Child

6. Kingdom of Children

7. Values: Lighting the Candle of Excellence : A Practical Guide for the Family by Marva Collins; Natural Medicine Guide to Bipolar Disorder, The: New Revised Edition by Stephanie Marohn

8. Ordinary Children, Extraordinary Teachers by Marva Collins

9. Marva Collins' Way

10. Parenting a Child With Asperger Syndrome: 200 Tips and Strategies by Brenda Boyd

11. Tales from Shakespeare by Tina Packer

12. Parenting Your Asperger Child: Individualized Solutions for Teaching Your Child Practical Skills by Alan T. Sohn

13. Hitchhiking through Asperger Syndrome by Lise Pyles

14. Be Different: Adventures of a Free-Range Aspergian (John Elder Robison); Quirky, Yes---Hopeless, No (Cynthia La Brie Norall)

15. Bringing Up Bebe: One American Mother Discovers the Wisdom of French Parenting

16. The Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome by Tony Attwood

17. ADD/ADHD Drug Free: Natural Alternatives and Practical Exercises to Help Your Child Focus by Frank Jacobelli

18. transparent-pixel._V192551059_.gifCreate Your Own Free-Form Quilts: A Stress-Free Journey to Original Design by Rayna Gillman

19. The Shut-Down Learner Helping Your Academically Discouraged Child by Richard Selznick, PhD

20. Pretending to be Normal: Living With Asperger's Syndrome by Liane Holliday Willey

21.Healing the New Childhood Epidemics: Autism, ADHD, Asthma, and Allergies: The Groundbreaking Program for the 4-A Disorders by Kenneth Bock

22. Look me in the eye by John Elder Robison

23. Running with Scissors by Augusten Burroughs

24. Atypical - Life with Asperger's in 20 1/3 Chapters by Jesse Saperstein

25. Born on a Blue Day by Daniel Tammet

Last Sunday, as planned, I finished:

#29 - My Name is Asher Lev, by Chaim Potok. An excellent book. One of the best. I find myself thinking about various aspects of it at odd times, and yesterday, dh and I had quite a discussion about it, and he's never even read the book! It is compelling, to say the least.

I also read:

#30 - My Lucky Life In and Out of Show Business: A Memoir, by Dick Van Dyke. At the beginning of this autobiography, Dick says if you are looking for something salacious, put the book down, you won't find it in his book. He is thankfully true to his word. This was a most enjoyable story.

Currently, I am reading:

#31 - Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking, by Susan Cain. I just started this late last night, so I've only read a handful of pages. The writing draws you right in immediately. Just a few pages in, and I have already *found myself*. I think this may be a very insightful and helpful book - one that you find yourself saying, "Ahhh, so THAT'S why I do this, or feel that way, or am comfortable with this but not with that, etc." - and it will finally give credence and the okay-ness to simply being who you are (to being who I am), without apology . . .

#29 - My Name is Asher Lev, by Chaim Potok. An excellent book. One of the best. I find myself thinking about various aspects of it at odd times, and yesterday, dh and I had quite a discussion about it, and he's never even read the book! It is compelling, to say the least.

I also read:

#30 - My Lucky Life In and Out of Show Business: A Memoir, by Dick Van Dyke. At the beginning of this autobiography, Dick says if you are looking for something salacious, put the book down, you won't find it in his book. He is thankfully true to his word. This was a most enjoyable story.

Currently, I am reading:

#31 - Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking, by Susan Cain. I just started this late last night, so I've only read a handful of pages. The writing draws you right in immediately. Just a few pages in, and I have already *found myself*. I think this may be a very insightful and helpful book - one that you find yourself saying, "Ahhh, so THAT'S why I do this, or feel that way, or am comfortable with this but not with that, etc." - and it will finally give credence and the okay-ness to simply being who you are (to being who I am), without apology . . .

All three of your books are ones that I've had on my TBR list forever. I am so glad to hear a recommendation for them - especially the Dick Van Dyke one! I'll definitely be getting them from the library on our next trip.

I read some really good stuff this week!

Finished:

#70. Talking About Detective Fiction by P.D. James. For fans of the genre, this was a real treat, full of commentary and ideas for new things to read.

# 71. The Other Wes Moore: One Name, Two Fates by Wes Moore. I first heard about this on NPR. The author is a veteran, graduate of Johns Hopkins, and Rhodes scholar -- who happens to share his name with a man who is spending the rest of his life in prison after participating in a robbery that left a security guard dead. In so many ways this book was about the choices parents make and the examples that they set.

# 72. Coming Apart: The State of White America, 1960 - 2010 by Charles Murray. Murray and I may disagree on many points of political philosophy, but I always find his books to be well-written and full of fascinating data to pore over -- a quarter of this book is appendices and notes.

On another note, the kids and I finished up another John Bellairs novel this week. I haven't been adding read-alouds to my personal count, but thought I should mention this since he is not an author I see mentioned much. The series we have been reading was first published in the 70s and is set in the early 50s, and is gothic horror/magic. These have been surprisingly popular with my kids. This is the one that got us started.

I'm back, and although I seem to always have a book in hand, I am embarrassed to say I have only properly read 5 new books so far this year. How can that be? I came in late last year, and still finished 52 books. :blushing:

But... here I am, ready to challenge myself to see how far I can get!

#1 The Groom to Have Been by Saher Alam

#2 The Voice of the Violin by Andrea Camilleri

# 3 The Three Evangelists by Fred Vargas

#4 A Red Herring Without Mustard by Alan Bradley

#5 Salmon Fishing in the Yemen by Paul Torday

I read #5 before I saw the movie - I enjoyed the book, but I liked the movie's ending better. If I'm paying to see a movie, I demand my happily-ever-after!

At the moment I am reading Montessori in the Classroom by Paula Lillard, A Monster's Notes by Laurie Sheck and Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

A Monster's Notes is fantastic. More when I'm finished, but it is the story of Frankenstein's monster from the monster's perspective. It's just beautiful, and so lonely that I keep getting a lump in my throat and tears in my eyes.

Nikki

I also read:

Currently, I am reading:

LOVE Asher Lev! Adding Dick Van Dyke-adding his bio to my list (I've had a great time reading some of the older comedians bios- they really are funny on paper, too) and I have had the Introvert book on my list for a while for dd. Great week of reading!:001_smile:

Finished Busman's Honeymoon by Sayers. Sayers portrays an idealized marital relationship between Harriet and Peter but what a lovely ideal it is!

Edited by laughing lioness

I'm back, and although I seem to always have a book in hand, I am embarrassed to say I have only properly read 5 new books so far this year. How can that be? I came in late last year, and still finished 52 books. :blushing:

But... here I am, ready to challenge myself to see how far I can get!

Good for you! I'm a big fan of taking initiative, regardless of whether we can do things the "right" way or not.

I am still working on my mini version of 52 books. 12 challenging books sounds simple until you factor in the "challenging" part.

So far:

• Knowing and Teaching Elementary Mathematics
  • Gone With The Wind
  • Moby Dick
  • Psalms (studying not just blasting through, plus lots and lots of background reading)

Thoughts and my next reads: http://www.libertyhillhouse.com/2012/06/16/personal-challenges/

Weekend Harry Potter read-a-thon with a friend, got through the first two. Still reading Deception Point, Dan Brown and Term Limits, Vince Flynn.

The Dan Brown book was utterly riveting, could barely put it down. I'd forgotten how much I liked his stuff.

Edited by Lizzie in Ma

What a fun thread! I enjoy seeing what everyone has been reading and add those books which look interesting to me to my library book list:) I don't know why I don't keep a log of the books that I read, I make my kids do it! I know I've read at least 18 books so far this year but, sadly, no list:(

I'm almost finished with "Where Lilacs Still Bloom" by Jane Kirkpatrick. The premise is about a woman who devoted her life to plant hybridization (mostly lilacs) but oh, so much more that that. I don't know if it's my season of life ( a dd who is engaged to be married) or that time of the month:tongue_smilie: but at one point this week, I was reading out on the deck and found myself sobbing over something that happened in the book. If the boys would have come out and seen me, I'm not sure how I would have explained myself.

My June resolution: to keep a booklist for myself:)

Not too much reading this week, but thanks to you all my list of books to be read is really growing..

Finished this week:

Me: Sulaby Toni Morrison. I liked it, one line really struck me, maybe because my children are growing up-

"For the mouths of her children quickly forgot the taste of her nip*ples, and years ago they had begun to look past her face into the nearest stretch of sky."

DD9- Totally Crushed

1. Daddy Longlegs, Jean Webster - Kindle

2. Dear Enemy, Jean Webster - Kindle

3. Bookends of the Christian Life, Jerry Bridges

-A Secret Kept, Tatiana de Rosnay (didn't like, quit)

4. Gospel Wakefulness, Jared Wilson

5. A Praying Life, Paul Miller - Kindle

-Water for Elephants, Sara Gruen - library on Kindle (didn't like, quit - not doing well with fiction picks this year!)

6. The Book of the Ancient World

7. The Book of the Greeks, both by Dorothy Mills

8. The Greek Way, Edith Hamilton

9. Organized Simplicity - Kindle

10. In the Garden of Beasts, Erik Larson - library on Kindle

11. Think, John Piper

12. Lit, Tony Reinke

-Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, Jonathan Foe - quit!

13.That Crumpled Paper Was Due Last Week, Ana Homayoun

14. Homeschooling Gifted and Advanced Learners, Cindy West

15. I'm an English Major Now What, Tim Lemire

16. Suprised by Oxford, Carolyn Weber (love!!)

17. Discovery of Witches - library kindle on kindle

18. Left Neglected, Lisa Genova

19. I Capture the Castle, Dodie Smith

20. Whistlin' Dixie in a Nor'easter, Lisa Patton

21. Yankee Doodle Dixie, Lisa Patton

22. American Heiress, Daisy Goodwin

23. Before I go to Sleep, S.J. Watson

24. Still Alice, Lisa Genova

25-28. Secret Society Girls #1-4 series Diana Peterfreund

29-31. Hunger Games series

32. Bunheads, Sophie Flack

33. The Sugarless Plum, Zippora Karz

34. A Voice in the Wind, Francine Rivers

35. Church History, Eusebius

36. The Book of the Ancient Romans, Dorothy Mills

37. The Roman Way, Edith Hamilton

38. The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks, E. Lockhart

39. The Marriage Plot, Eugenides

40. Special Topics in Calamity Physics, Marisha Pessl

41. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

42. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

Reading Harry Potter for the first time. Liked the first one "okay". The end of book 2 convinced me she is a master plotter and this is really going somewhere. I know everyone says the later books are amazing and they kind of "grow up" as the fans aged... So, I'm looking forward to all that Rowling has up her sleeves. :)

Edited by LNC

Still reading Fellowship of the Ring. I'm normally a very fast reader but this is taking me forever. On the plus side I'm really starting to enjoy the story. I'm going to have to put it aside for a bit to start The Third Policeman for book club though.

I read some really good stuff this week!

Finished:

#70. Talking About Detective Fiction by P.D. James. For fans of the genre, this was a real treat, full of commentary and ideas for new things to read.

This interests me, and my library has it. It's going on my books-to-read-that-the-library-already-has list.

Love Goodreads.

I wrote a post and it went away because I took to long to submit and I was logged out. I don't want to retype it. :tongue_smilie:

I'm in the middle of The Highly Sensitive Child.

Drives me bonkers!

Since my library card expired and I wasn't able to reserve any new books, I decided to hunt down long-lost, unread books on my own shelves. I came up with The Wild Muir (Twenty-two of John Muir's Greatest Adventures) and In The Heart of the Sea: The Tragedy of the Whaleship Essexd by Nathaniel Philbrick.

Ironically, both books were picked up while I was on vacation. The Muir book about 10 years ago in a National Park bookstore in the Blue Ridge Mtns. and the Essex book two years ago on Cape Hatteras, NC. I have great intentions of long stretches of vacation reading time that never quite pan out.

Since my library card expired and I wasn't able to reserve any new books, I decided to hunt down long-lost, unread books on my own shelves.

How satisfying. My 17 yo is on a self-imposed book buying ban until she finishes reading every book she owns. Except she cheated- something came from Amazon.com today that felt suspiciously like a book.

Okay, finished The Man Who Loved Books Too Much: The True Story of a Thief, a Detective, and a World of Literary Obsession by Allison Hoover Bartlett. I gave it 3 stars on Goodreads, for "I liked it". I thought that the perspective and information on rare books was fascinating. I totally want to start collecting books now. I thought the story in and of itself was "eh". What John Gilkey did and the way that he carried out his thefts was interesting, as was getting a glimpse inside of his head. I got to the end wasn't blown away. Could have had a lot to do with the author, though. If you have an interest in actual, physical books and/or their value, I'd recommend reading it. I wasn't sorry I read it.

Next up is Bear Grylls' Mud, Sweat, and Tears. :D

Well, let me tell you more about it. On the cover it is referred to as a "fungal noir"

Thanks for all the info! I'm not sure if it's something I'd really like or not, but I'll probably have to look it up, just because I'm pretty sure it would be the only "fungal noir" book I'd end up reading in my life. :lol:

All three of your books are ones that I've had on my TBR list forever.

eaglei, I have to agree w/ Mothersweets; sounds like you had a great reading week & those are all books I want to read.

A Monster's Notes is fantastic. More when I'm finished, but it is the story of Frankenstein's monster from the monster's perspective. It's just beautiful, and so lonely that I keep getting a lump in my throat and tears in my eyes.

:seeya:, Nikki.

A Monster's Notes sounds intriguing. I found Frankenstein to be such a sad tale (as well as the life of Mary Shelley).

German Romantic style is definitely not my style of literature. I'm not sentimental and I don't have much compassion for people frequently spontaneously weeping.

:lol: I love reviews like this.

Since my library card expired and I wasn't able to reserve any new books, I decided to hunt down long-lost, unread books on my own shelves.

Uh, I need to do that. Maybe the trick to getting around to the books on my shelves is to let my library card expire. Hmmmm......

Okay, finished The Man Who Loved Books Too Much: The True Story of a Thief, a Detective, and a World of Literary Obsession by Allison Hoover Bartlett. I gave it 3 stars on Goodreads, for "I liked it". I thought that the perspective and information on rare books was fascinating. I totally want to start collecting books now. I thought the story in and of itself was "eh". What John Gilkey did and the way that he carried out his thefts was interesting, as was getting a glimpse inside of his head. I got to the end wasn't blown away. Could have had a lot to do with the author, though. If you have an interest in actual, physical books and/or their value, I'd recommend reading it. I wasn't sorry I read it.

Thanks for the review, krazzymommy. Now you'll have to keep us posted on Bear's book. :D (Love watching him, except when he's eating gross stuff. :tongue_smilie::lol:)

My mind must be jumping all over the place these days. (Well, actually, I kow it is. Ugh.) I have so many books sitting here that I want to read & I keep picking different ones up & starting them. I want to finish all of them, so I really need buckle down & finish a couple before I start any more. (Does anyone else do that???) Still working on Napoleon's Pyramids, The Cat's Table, Clutter Busting Your Life, and (now, also) Bloodshot. (Robin, Bloodshot makes me think of something you'd like -- an urban fantasy/vampire/crime book).

Book description of Bloodshot from amazon.com:

"Raylene Pendle (AKA Cheshire Red), a vampire and world-renowned thief, doesn’t usually hang with her own kind. She’s too busy stealing priceless art and rare jewels. But when the infuriatingly charming Ian Stott asks for help, Raylene finds him impossible to resist—even though Ian doesn’t want precious artifacts. He wants her to retrieve missing government files—documents that deal with the secret biological experiments that left Ian blind. What Raylene doesn’t bargain for is a case that takes her from the wilds of Minneapolis to the mean streets of Atlanta. And with a psychotic, power-hungry scientist on her trail, a kick-ass drag queen on her side, and Men in Black popping up at the most inconvenient moments, the case proves to be one hell of a ride."

I don't know why I don't keep a log of the books that I read, I make my kids do it! I know I've read at least 18 books so far this year but, sadly, no list:(

Can you reconstruct the list from your library records? I'm going to have dd do that - she stopped recording books, but is much further along than I am. Hopefully I'll be able to post her list next week.

Sticking this one on my to-read list also. Man, this week's thread is particularly full of books that may tempt me away from the list I've made and am trying to stick to.

Thanks for all the info! I'm not sure if it's something I'd really like or not, but I'll probably have to look it up, just because I'm pretty sure it would be the only "fungal noir" book I'd end up reading in my life. :lol:

That's pretty much where I was at when I decided to read it. Fungal noir? What? This is so obscure that it may be terrible, but it is very intriguing...

I hope you give it a shot.

I finished Below Stairs by Margaret Powell (#24, I think) last week and A Red Herring Without Mustard by Alan Bradley (#25) today. I was really interested in reading Below Stairs after hearing reviews here and watching Downton Abbey. I expected it to be a bit dry but informative. I was pleasantly surprised to find it very readable and thoroughly enjoyable! What an interesting perspective. And of course I enjoyed the third Flavia book :D Fun stuff.

I'm not sure what I'm going to start next.

43. I'm Not Crazy Just Bipolar by Wendy K. Williamson

It was a good account of someone being diagnosed with bipolar just weeks before she graduated college. Although it's never directly stated in the book, I believe she is diagnosed with bipolar 1. She has some extreme manic episodes and suicide attempts and is hospitalized many times. Her story includes drug addiction and has strong language. It's amazing how bipolar can mess up someone's life. I couldn't relate much to her story, however, because I'm diagnosed with bipolar 2. It was still an interesting read.

I think I'll read that book.

Thanks for linking Bear's book. I had no idea it was available now.

Stacia, yes I am always picking up new books to start while I am still in the middle of other books. Makes actually completing books take a bit longer.

I picked up The Crystal Caveagain after letting is sit for awhile. I wasn't in the mood for it at the time. Turns out aftre reading a chapter I'm still not feeling it. I'm just not drawn into the book. Maybe I should give up and depart with it. Maybe I should shelve it again for another little bit.

My reading is extremely slow these days. I'm reading Mozart's Wife.

Hi, Negin! :001_smile: A friend of mine read that & really enjoyed it.

Stacia, yes I am always picking up new books to start while I am still in the middle of other books. Makes actually completing books take a bit longer.

You're telling me. I keep starting them & not finishing any because I have so many going at once. :001_huh::lol: Why am I doing that????? (And, I vote for ditching your Crystal Cave book. Two strikes? It's out. ;):D)

Little Librarian and I had to abandon The Hounds of the Baskervilles by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle as a read aloud. She was enjoying it but I couldn't do it. I was stumbling over the words and getting tongue tied. It was miserable to try and read aloud. I think I'll try to find it as an audiobook for her because she's been on a big Sherlock kick lately.

The Third Policeman by Flann O'Brien - read this for book club and don't know how to descibe it. It was pretty strange. DH is reading it too and cheated and looked on wikipedia to see what it was about. It was suppposed to be funny?!?! And was supposed to be a parody?!?! Mostly it seemed like everyone was drunk and having a good time except me, the reader.

Still plugging away at LotR also.

In progress:

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

The Fellowship of the Ring by JRR Tolkien

An Unsuitable Job for a Woman by PD James (recommended here)

Calico Bush by Rachel Field (read aloud)

Three Men in a Boat by Jerome K. Jerome (audiobook)

2012 finished books:

70. The Third Policeman by Flann O'Brien (**)

69. The Princess and the Goblin by George MacDonald (****)

68. The School Story by Andrew Clement - read aloud (****)

67. The Great Brain by John D. Fitzgerald (*)

66. Free-Range Kids by Lenore Skenazy (***)

65. Red Sails to Capri by Ann Weil -read aloud (***)

64. The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy by Douglass Adams (*****)

63. Death of a Cad by MC Beaton (**)

62. Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood (***)

61. The Year of Living Biblically by AJ Jacobs (***)

60. A Pocket Full of Rye by Agatha Christie (***)

59. The Secret Adversary (Tommy and Tuppence) by Agatha Christie (****)

58. Tales of Robin Hood by Tony Allan - read aloud (****)

57. Betsy-Tacy by Maud Hart Lovelace (*****)

56. The Beekeepers Apprentice by Laurie R. King (****)

55. Death of a Gossip by MC Beaton (***)

54. The Thin Man by Dashiell Hammett (**)

53. On Writing by Stephen King (*****)

52. Maus by Art Spiegelman (****)

51. The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie (***)

50. The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins (****)

49. The Night Bookmobile by Audrey Niffinegger (*)

48. Notes from a Small Island by Bill Bryson (***)

47. Casino Royale - James Bond by Ian Fleming (**)

46. A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson - Audiobook (***)

45. The Lucky Shopping Manual by Kim Lenitt (*****)

44. And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie (****)

43. Half Moon Investigations by Eoin Colfer - Audiobook (****)

42. Half Magic by Edward Eager (***)

41. Dealing with Dragons by Patricia Wrede - Read Aloud (****)

Books 1 - 40

Amy's Rating System:

***** - Fantastic, couldn't put it down

**** - Very good

*** - Enjoyable but nothing special

** - Not recommended

* - Horrible

59. The Green Mile by Stephen King~supernatural, prison, 1930s. I've had this on the shelf for a long time and I picked it up this week when I was putting the Ray Bradbury I've been reading in the car away. One of King's better works, IMO. Well structured (although it was serialized so at the beginning of each new section there is an elegant, if highly repetitive, summary). I think it was helped by being written in sections. King has always been a better short story writer I've thought. Although I could never quite buy into the way Coffey was used, it was superb story-telling of the highest order, Mr. Jingles and all.

58. The Sacred Journey by Frederick Buechner~religious, memoir, childhood. I do love Buechner's style. There are moments when he's such an inspired writer, very quotable and thoughtful. I love the idea of 'once before a time,' the age when children have no time but live continually in the present. Short. Often thought-provoking. In the middle it becomes more of a traditional memoir and so slows a bit.

57. Wisconsin Gardens & Landscapes by Mary Lou Santovec~public gardens, Wisconsin. This is essentially a book of public gardens and their descriptions. It felt like the managers of the gardens filled out forms somehow, so you get some really lavishly described and others which are quite perfunctory. Plus some of them I wouldn't really consider worth noting (nothing special). There was a lot here though. The author did take time to see some of them and included anything she could find. I added a few more to my bucket list.

56. Sarabeth's Bakery by Sarabeth Levine~cookbook, baking, pastries.

55. Essential Pleasures edited by Robert Pinsky~poetry, compilation, audio CD included.

54. Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams at Home by Jeni Britton Bauer~cookbook, ice cream

53. The Sea Gull by Anton Chekhov~Russian, play.

52. A few hundred pages of Hyperion and all of Farewell to Hyperion by Dan Simmons~science fiction, future worlds, pilgrim tales.

51. North by Northanger by Carrie Bebis~Jane Austen, mystery

50. The Essential Garden Design Workbook by Rosemary Alexander~non-fiction, gardening, landscape design.

49. The Scrapbook of Frankie Pratt: a Novel in Pictures by Caroline Preston~fiction, '20s, NY, Paris, coming of age.

48. Q: a Novel by Evan Mandery~fiction, quirky, time travel.

47. The Monster of Florence by Douglas Preston and Mario Spezi~memoir, Italy, criminal case, serial killer.

46. Food Chaining by Fracker~non-fiction, food issues, picky eaters.

45. The Long Retreat by Andrew Krivak~memoir, Jesuit.

44. Exploring Garden Style by Tauton Press~non-fiction, gardening, design.

43. Homeschooling Children with ADD (and Other Special Needs) by Lenore Hayles~non-fiction, education, medical issues.

42. Reading Lolita in Tehran by Azar Nafrisi~non-fiction, memoir, Iran, literature.

41. Five Quarters of the Orange by Joanne Harris~fiction, France, WWII, food. *

40. Blue Like Jazz by Donald Miller~memoir, stories, Christianity.

39. Just Take a Bite! by Lori Ernsberger~non-fiction, food issues, special needs.

38. Suspense and Sensibility by Carrie Bebris~Jane Austen, Mystery.

37. Pride and Prescience by Carrie Bebris~Jane Austen, Darcys, Mystery, supernatural.

36. Superfudge by Judy Blume~fiction, classic children's book.

35. The Explosive Child by Ross Greene~non-fiction, behavior, children

34. Cyteen 2: The Rebirth by CJ Cherryh~science fiction, cloning.

33. The Peace War by Vernor Vinge~science fiction, future, technology.

32. Whiskey Breakfast by Richard Lindberg~memoir, Swedish Immigration, Chicago.

31. Corvus: a Life with Birds by Esther Woolfson~non-fiction, birds.

30. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen~classic literature.

29. Cyteen: The Betrayal by CJ Cherryh~science fiction, future, space, cloning.

28. Divergent by Veronica Roth~youth fiction, dystopian.

27. The Help by Kathryn Stockett~fiction, '60s, race relations.

26. Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs~youth, fiction.

25. Below Stairs: the Classic Kitchen Maid Memoir by Margaret Powell~non-fiction, memoir.

24. Ender in Exile by Orson Scott Card~fiction.

23. Uncle Tungsten: Memories of a Chemical Boyhood by Oliver Sacks~non-fiction, memoir.

22. The Garden Book of Wisconsin by Melinda Myers~non-fiction, gardening, flowers and landscaping.

21. Putting Down Roots: Gardening Insights from Wisconsin's Early Settlers by Marcia Carmichael~non-fiction, history, gardening.

20. Gudrun's Kitchen: Recipes from a Norwegian Family by Irene and Edward Sandvold~cookbook, biography.

19. Twelve Owls by Laura Erickson~non-fiction, birds.

18. A Thread of Grace by Mary Doria Russell~fiction, WWII **

17. A Fire Upon the Deep by Vernor Vinge~science fiction, space

16. Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card~classic science fiction, read aloud.

15. Flour by Joanne Chung~cookbook, baking

14. Home to Woefield by Susan Juby~light fiction, humorous

13. Making the Most of Shade by Larry Hodgson~non-fiction/gardening

12. Growing Perennials in Cold Climates by Mike Heger~non-fiction/gardening

11. Case Histories by Kate Atkinson~mystery

10. Letters from Yellowstone by Diane Smith~historical fiction

9. The Circus in Winter by Cathy Day~fiction

8. The Alphabet in the Park by Adelia Prado~poetry

7. The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down by Anne Fadiman~non-fiction/medical *

6. One Thousand White Women by Jim Fergus~speculative fiction

5. The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place: The Hidden Gallery by Maryrose Woods~juvenile

4. The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Jester~(read aloud) juvenile

3. The Alienist by Caleb Carr~Mystery

2. The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton~Fiction

1. The Children's Book by A.S. Byatt~Fiction *

Working on:

Blood Meridian (McCarthy)

Temple of the Golden Pavilion (Mishima)

Cold Comfort Farm

Moby Dick (Melville)

Summer People

*~top 5 books of the year (so far)

**~best book of the year (so far)