Menu

How do you homeschool more than one child?

bttrflyvld

I've got 2 little girls 2 years apart. As we are beginning our homeschoolling years I'm wondering how do you make it work? My oldest daughter will be Pre-K next fall and for next year it will be pretty simple to teach a 3 and 5 year old preschool.

But I'm wondering how do you do it for the elementary years when you have to do a lot of teaching. How do you teach two different grades? I understand as they get older and can read for themselves out of the lessons they can teach themselves, but when you have a kindergartener and 2nd grader though I imaging it's pretty tough. How do you make it work?

You just do it.:001_smile:

With dc so close in age, it's easy to combine many MANY things. The only things that I do separately are math/reading/writing. Even within those things, if I have a game or a lesson I can put up on the white board I can combine. (My 7yo learned to read and write primarily through "auditing" her big brother's lessons.;) )

Also, you may doing more teaching but less physical "mommy" work. They will be more independent re bathroom & eating & getting themselves dressed, etc... It evens out.

Well, it's really not as hard as it seems. Especially if you can get a routine down. I am a very routine oriented person. I have 3 kids - 3rd, 2nd and Kinder.

We do Bible together.

Reading - both boys are at the same basic reading level, so we did phonics/reading together

Spelling - use the same spelling program (Spelling Workout) but at different levels. When we do a pre-test, I just say, "D - word #1 is black, J - word #1 is cat, etc."

Grammar - we do different levels but the same curriculum. The lessons don't take all that long to teach, really. I just do one kid, get him started on the exercises and then do the other.

Math - we use different curriculum for each child. Sometimes one kid has a break while I teach the lesson to the other.

History/Science we do together.

It works, just takes a little organization and training at the beginning, but if you stick to it, they will catch on to the routine and it will go.

Two is easy. I think maybe 5 would Push me into the nut house ;-)

Seriously, it works out. They need less from you the older they get, too. Combining things like science, history, arts, etc allows you to have the focus time for each in math and language arts. There is something nice about having them work together - the cooperative learning from one another!

Even at the grades you listed it is quite easy - kindergarten only takes minutes every day, and 2nd grade shouldn't be more than two hours daily. I try to keep it at an hour per day per grade. By the time the kids are old enough to need a considerable amount of one-on-one time, they are also working on things long enough that you can teach the younger one while the older does independent work. This year I would teach my 4th grader her math lesson and then she would leave to work on it as well as her spelling, daily mental math, penmanship, logic, and writing. By the time she was ready for her grammar lesson, I was done with the 2nd grader's lessons for the day (except for science or history, which they did together).

It will work itself out year by year, you will see. You are only adding on a little time each year, so it really isn't as bad as it seems. :001_smile:

You just do it.:001_smile:

Also, you may doing more teaching but less physical "mommy" work. They will be more independent re bathroom & eating & getting themselves dressed, etc... It evens out.

:iagree:

You also figure out what can be done independently but together, if that makes sense. My kids both do ETC- I have one do it on the computer while the other does it in the workbook, then they switch. So we're all doing phonics and they each get some of my undivided attention.

I also purposely pick as many things that aren't "lessons" as we can. I'm drawn to curricula that start with a reading and go from there. So we do SOTW for history- I read a history text, they do a narration. They can listen to the same text and then produce very different things for their narration. I am not drawn to curricula that are very specific (boxed curricula) because I would get overwhelmed trying to figure out how to modify things for each kid. It's just my preference.

All that to say- I have two kids that are 16 months apart and very close to the same level in most things. The only time I have seen the actual challenges is when I had two toddlers three times a week this past fall. That is when I realized they could just sit and "participate" in their own way- what changed was just my expectations for each child.

Well, when my 2nd grader was my big girl, she did some of her work independently while I worked with my ker. K specific skill work didn't take a long time. Then I could have the 5 yr old working on fine motor skills and educational activities while I worked on specific skills with my 2nd grader. I did art, Bible time, History, Science, and Music with both and of course read alouds. I didn't require the Ker to do much if any writing with any of those subjects. She just had to listen in and participate in hands on things. She had her own little K workbooks for her pencil and paper work, but it didn't take long.

I kept a table of K activities out at all times. I rotated things like letter tiles, puzzles, sequencing cards, sewing cards, beads and string, and playdough for her to work on during the day.

The Kers reading practice came at night, snuggled up for bedtime. She would practice sounding out from Bob books for a few minutes before I read aloud a bedtime story to her. The 2nd grader did her aloud reading practice during the day and could read to herself at night in bed. Both of my kids took enrichment classes at co-op and they weren't all together, so they got some bigger kid/ littler kid stuff at their own levels there.

Remember that one-room schools were common for most of history, with one teacher and multiple children of all different ages. Those teachers did it; I'm sure you can, too. :-)

Unless a child has significant learning difficulties, there doesn't need to be as much intense one-on-one as you might think, and children can learn many things together, regardless of age differences.

I usually try to teach my kids together in every subject possible. Then with the rest (typically language arts and math)and I match up the subjects that one child can do independently to a subject another child needs direct teaching in. I promise you it will be much easier than you think:)

It took me about half of this year to figure out the most efficient way for us. It worked out best for me to flip flop subjects. I would do SWR with my K'er while my 2nd grader did math. I would just stop to answer any of his questions. Then, I'd get the K'er going on math and would get all of my 2nd grader's LA subjects done since he works much faster. I don't combine History and Lit, but we had fun doing Latin and science together. I think the 1st/3rd combo will be easier since they both came improved so much in work ethic and independence this year.

I don't think it would have been tough at all if I hadn't had an infant and toddler around. It was difficult to balance their needs with school this year.

While only my oldest gets taught everyday right now I imagine that teaching two will just be an extension of what happens now - I let my toddler draw on the whiteboard a bit before getting on with a lesson on there (when they are both learning they can each have a lesson instead). The toddler does her own form of art when DD1 is painting, she gets her own story before I do reading with the elder and so on. She's in on everything as a toddler and I usually meet her needs first in the hope she will give us some time afterwards to work on DD1s lessons.

I've got 2 little girls 2 years apart. As we are beginning our homeschoolling years I'm wondering how do you make it work?

My girl are 23 months apart, so your post brought back memories!

My younger dd has always enjoyed playing by herself, so in the early years, she was content to play while my older one did schoolwork.

The most challenging phase (apart from when I had toddlers/babies underfoot!) came when the younger dd started to read and would try to "help" my older one.

Also, my younger dd worked better in the afternoon and early evening, so I'd work with the older in the morning and the younger in the afternoon. It made for long days for me, but it worked well for them.

I've never been able to successfully combine my kids in anything. They're too different, interest and ability-wise. Instead, I found that combining led to far more trouble. But give it a try!

I combine all that I can (read-alouds, science, history, poetry, composer/artists study), etc.

Teaching individual lessons doesn't take that much time, really.

I didn't school formally for kindergarten either. I read a lot, began teaching reading, and surrounded them with a learning-rich environment. I conversed with them a lot at that age, making up little math problems while standing in line at the store, for example.

The younger kids were always happy to just play when they weren't doing school with me.

If it's just 2 with no babies/toddlers in the house, it should be easy. :D

I'll be doing 3rd grade and K this year, though my K'er did some K last year, so it was kind of 2nd grade and K. The K'er only worked for 15-30 minutes a day, and that was no problem. The 2nd grader had about 2.5 hours of work. Toward the end of the year, my 2nd grader really started to be more independent in a lot of subjects (though he's also an early reader, so that helped a lot).

My plan for this year (and we start next week!) is to start with a 15 minute session with my 3 year old, so he will have "done school" and be relatively happy. Then I'll do about 30 minutes with my K'er, going through his 3 R's, or maybe 2 of them in that time. Then I'll spend an hour with my 3rd grader doing whatever teaching I need to do. Then I'll go back to the K'er and do some reading aloud (he'll do Sonlight P4/5, though we're not starting that until August, so next week it will just be random library books). My 3rd grader can do independent work during that time - math, spelling, etc. After lunch, we'll do another hour with 3rd grader. I should be done then. He might have a bit more work to do on his own when we get everything started (some subjects are starting in August, but the very basics will go all summer).

My oldest two cannot be combined yet, though DS2 does tag along for science. His Sonlight Core will have science more at his level, so he'll do that too. Later on when I have 3 to school, I might be able to combine the younger two some, as the youngest is advanced and the middle is a late bloomer. Oldest is advanced, so he just isn't a good mix with middle one who is still learning to read and has issues with understanding language sometimes. They're 2.5 years apart, 3 grades apart, but miles apart in comprehension of materials. Just no chance of combining them anytime soon.

The main problem I could see you having with just 2 is that sometimes people run into issues with one kid not self-entertaining while the other is doing schoolwork. That is something you might want to work on now if you think it will be a problem. All of my kids are pretty good at self-entertaining (I start them as babies, expecting them to play by themselves much of the time... while I wear them and include them, I don't play with them all day long, if that makes sense). And of course, that may be a personality thing and not a child rearing thing. Who knows. But I have 3 kids with different personalities and different quirks, and they've all been fine with self-entertaining, since I basically required it at least at some point in the day, every day, since they were itty bitty.

One of mine was an early riser, so we did language arts and math before the other one got up most days. When that didn't work out, I wasn't above having the younger one watch something productive on TV (Magic School Bus was a favorite) while we focused.

Then doing those subjects with the younger one while the other one played or did projects worked well.

They played while I read to them, and we did most of the other subjects together.

We did that until the oldest was in 7th and then I separated most of their subjects. At that point they were mostly working independently from assignment books anyway, and I just needed to be available during the day off-and-on to introduce things and answer questions.

Now they take some online and local classes, and I do very little teaching. Because I work from home, we now have a schedule during the regular school year where they have certain hours where they are working and I'm working, and then there are certain hours when I am available to help with whatever they need.

I have a K4 and a Gr. 1 this year, and it hasn't been as hard to juggle things as you might think. As they need to spend more of each day on school-related tasks, they also grow in their ability to work on tasks independently. My K4 can't work independently yet, which is to be expected. However, she only does about 15 minutes of math a day, 5 minutes of spelling, and 15 minutes of reading daily. My Gr. 1 daughter can read or work on different activities during those times.

We combine subjects like history, geography, science.

I have two that are two years apart. We are on homeschooling-lite K/2nd for summer, and will be officially K/2nd in the fall. Last year was harder, and we did less subjects. This year my older girl can do some things with my just checking up on her, not sitting by her the whole time. So, here's how it goes (combined with my imagination for next year):

Circle Time together: poetry, song, scripture memorization, Yogarilla.

Math: I get my oldest started, then when she's working well, I set up the younger girl in a different spot with her little kid math. I work through it with her, occasionally checking back with older dd, glancing over her work, answering any questions. Younger dd is finished first, of course, and then I finish up with older dd.

Phonics: One works with me while the other plays or draws. Sometimes the other works on a computer game or app while waiting.

Writing: Will add it in the fall, but previously have done copywork together, giving a very short bit to the younger dd and a long one to the older.

Science: Younger follows along on older's science.

Handwriting: I stink at this one, lol. I give them workbooks at the same time & have them just do it.

Logic: I give the older this one and get her started, then work with the younger in a different spot, just like math. Sometimes we do logic/reasoning questions and those are group work.

Read-alouds to both! Older reads on her own some, too.

The do ASL and Salsa Spanish together. I want to add a wrap-up circle time with review of their foreign language & such in the fall. We'll see how that goes.

When my oldest kids were your kids' ages, I did most seat work during nap time. This allowed some focused attention on our lessons and freed up our mornings for outings and group activities.

As my kids have gotten older, we've added in some morning subjects. My oldest two are 8 and 6 now. They both do math first thing (I teach the oldest, send him away to work independently and then I teach my other son). My younger also does copywork and grammar and takes a break. This is about the time my oldest comes back from his math work. My oldest does his spelling (AAS) and grammar(R&S), then takes a break. I call my younger back in for spelling (AAS), and he's done for the morning. I do Latin with my oldest, then we're done for the morning. This takes from 8-10:30.

We take a break from 10:30-1:00 for group activities with the younger kids, and then my older two do the rest of their work during nap time.

It takes a little time to find a good routine, but it sort of develops over the years as you add in more subjects. You know what works best with your kids, and every family is different.

That made me pretty nervous too, but I just jumped in and did it. The girls have their own math and LA, but are together for science, history, and Bible. In the mornings, I sit between them and alternate their math and LA. For math, I use CLE, which is pretty independent. Sylvia usually finishes her math/LA first, so she goes off to play while I do writing and grammar with Rebecca. This upcoming year, Sylvia will be less independent with LA because she'll do R&S grammar too. It'll just add some time to our mornings.

So, it looks intimidating, but you just make it work! (Mine are 2 years apart too, isn't it a great spread? :))

Even at the grades you listed it is quite easy - kindergarten only takes minutes every day, and 2nd grade shouldn't be more than two hours daily. I try to keep it at an hour per day per grade. By the time the kids are old enough to need a considerable amount of one-on-one time, they are also working on things long enough that you can teach the younger one while the older does independent work. This year I would teach my 4th grader her math lesson and then she would leave to work on it as well as her spelling, daily mental math, penmanship, logic, and writing. By the time she was ready for her grammar lesson, I was done with the 2nd grader's lessons for the day (except for science or history, which they did together).

It will work itself out year by year, you will see. You are only adding on a little time each year, so it really isn't as bad as it seems. :001_smile:

I really appreciate all the wonderful feedback. I've been feeling a bit worried about it lately. Granted a have another full school year to work out my concerns, but your comments have made me feel better.

You can do it!! :)

It probably won't be as hard as you are anticipating, either - I found that my 2nd flowed naturally into the schooling with my 1st, since I already had a system & a curriculum & a "groove". The 2nd also had picked up a lot just by listening in & doing various worksheets before we ever really started - he pretty much skipped over K and went straight into all 1st material (which made it really easy, since I just took whatever my then-2nd grader was doing that I had finally settled on & backed it down a level).

I combine several things.

I stopped combining some things I thought they could do together.

I tried to have one do independent work while the other had mom-time (independent work at this age was usually either computer-based or free drawing/writing).

I kept to a fairly set routine and followed a fairly set schedule (with room for adjustment).

I took a deep breath - and made it through! lol. We just finished up 2nd/1st grade and are about ready to start up 3rd/2nd/1st grade. This school year we are doubling the kids to 4 - so it will be a whole new experience yet again on how to go from 1 to 2 to 4! :)

I had a 3rd grader and Kindergartener. I just taught the little one first, then let him read and play while I taught his brother. He learned a lot by just being in the same room. Now that they're going into 5th and 2nd, I combine as much as possible and make sure to always have something they can do independently during times when I'm needed one-on-one.

Edited by happymomofboys
typo

I have 4 & we do a lot together: Bible, History, Science, experiments, etc. My littlest is learning to read so that takes some extra time apart from the rest. But all of my kids have 'independent' work. Things I know they can do with minimal help from me. I work with them each separately for Math - but not every day. Once they have their new lesson taught, they can work a few pages independently, or with a little help, so I try to stagger the days they each have their new lesson. I started off hsling just one & adding my others has really made it so much more fun :)

We do a lot of stuff together, and the younger ones come along for the ride, or not, as they choose.

My plan is to let everyone play except my oldest; I'll start with the one-on-one stuff with her, and when we're done, she can go to work on her independent/practice work, and I'll do the one-on-one stuff with the next child in line. When I'm done with him, I can spend a few minutes reading to my preschooler, and then do the group subjects with everyone. We'll see how it goes.