Menu

Names on Child's Shirt

Do you allow your child's name on shirt?  

1. 1. Do you allow your child's name on shirt?

• Yes-- allow last name only
    • Yes-- allow first name only
    • Yes, allow full name
    • No first name-- allow last name only
    • No last name-- allow first name only
    • No, will not allow name

:iagree:

I am bone-weary of the "Be afraid, very afraid, all the time, everywhere" parenting mentality.

A child is at greater risk of injury or death by driving to the field or playing the actual sport than from the almost non-existent danger of stranger abduction because some sicko happened to be at that specific game and see your kid's name on the jersey.

I know I'm going to get flamed for this (heck, I'm the radical mom who lets her kids answer the front door :gasp: ), but I'm just going to say it:

It's okay to not be afraid all the time.

No flames here, I think the world has gone crazy.

As far as the lady who said the shirt could have initials: it seems extremely fanciful to me that she decided to be a jerk and put on the whole name just to be spiteful. It was likely an oversight of some kind. The thing to do in the case of a mistake is to be graceful and forget about it, not be ticked off, livid, or annoyed.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My DD's cheer team does a shirt for each season, but it has first name/last initial for EVERY girl on the team. I don't consider that too big a risk. Her dance studio does something similar that does include first and last names-but it's for every child in the recital, so there are over 100 names on that shirt in a font that can't be read from any distance.

What does make me feel nervous-and what I won't do-is the window stickers/magnets that tell that Firstname is number 10 on the Stars Soccer team-when the practice schedule and game schedule for Stars soccer is available on the website. It just seems like that's making it too easy to identify a child.

Edited by dmmetler

Sorry, but this is a "uniform" for a sports team. The name says it all, they are supposed to be "uniform." If the norms in this league are that players wear their last names on their backs (which is pretty cool BTW) that that is "uniform."

You are not purchasing an item of clothing to wear around, you are purchasing a team uniform. It is part of the cost of doing business when you play on a team. You need to be clear on this or you will come off as having issues with both a sense of "entitlement" and "paranoia."

I'm sorry is this sounds harsh, but the "weird look" your husband got from the other Dad is the reaction you are going to get writ-large. If you are going to be on sport team you will need to accept that there are norms for participation, like being "snack-mom" one week, that include going along with league conventions on uniforms. If you can't manage that, don't play.

Bill

I actually would consider myself a bit of a helicopter parent. When my kids were younger, they were not out of my sight often...and if they were, we had safeguards and rules in place. But, I don't really see the problem with names on a uniform. My girls have been in sports for years, most of their uniforms have had either their first or their last names on them. To me, it is part of playing a team sport. If they were at an age where I would be concerned about a stranger knowing their name, I would not be very far from them anyway.

One point I would like to make for the OP is that names on jerseys are optional in some leagues. In our local rec baseball and basketball leagues, the uniforms are ordered by the league without names on them. Some teams then decide to have the names added at their own expense. In a situation like that, I can see why someone could sign up and not know that the norm for their team would include having their child's name on the jersey.

:iagree: I've been in three rec leagues around here and names are NOT allowed. And the memo comes out in coach training to make sure that the Team mom not take it upon herself to add names to the shirts. Only teams that put names on are the JV and High school sports team. Rec does not. So one would certainly sign up around here not expecting to plaster your child's name across the shirt. And we are asked to not cheer for individual kids by name. The referees are supposed to call you down for it .

And no, I don't know why. I'm not in charge. I don't ask questions when presented the list of rules when we sign up. I just make sure I can agree with the list. IF not, we don't play. But I expect the rules to be followed and the OP's rec team seems to be one that doesn't do names on shirts and an overeager beaver wanted to look "cool" and do something above and beyond the other teams.

:iagree: I've been in three rec leagues around here and names are NOT allowed. And the memo comes out in coach training to make sure that the Team mom not take it upon herself to add names to the shirts. Only teams that put names on are the JV and High school sports team. Rec does not. So one would certainly sign up around here not expecting to plaster your child's name across the shirt. And we are asked to not cheer for individual kids by name. The referees are supposed to call you down for it .

And no, I don't know why. I'm not in charge. I don't ask questions when presented the list of rules when we sign up. I just make sure I can agree with the list. IF not, we don't play. But I expect the rules to be followed and the OP's rec team seems to be one that doesn't do names on shirts and an overeager beaver wanted to look "cool" and do something above and beyond the other teams.

To be fair, the mother may not have been going against the league rules. Our leagues differ from the situation you described as they DO allow names on the uniforms.

Thinking it over a bit, I don't believe any of the local high schools put names on uniforms due to reusing them every season.

We allow last name ... my kids don't answer to just last name generally. My older three have had a good enough sense of stranger danger, etc. by 10-11 that at that point, we allow first name as well. My boys have Boy Scout nametags and my little guy's black belt for TKD have first and last names. But in both cases, parent wishes are respected, and he has friends in both scouts and TKD who have some shortened version of their name due to security concerns. My youngest is much less circumspect about such things than her siblings were at her age ... I can see us needing to limit this more with her if things keep going the way they are so far.

I am bone-weary of the "Be afraid, very afraid, all the time, everywhere" parenting mentality.

A child is at greater risk of injury or death by driving to the field or playing the actual sport than from the almost non-existent danger of stranger abduction because some sicko happened to be at that specific game and see your kid's name on the jersey.

I know I'm going to get flamed for this (heck, I'm the radical mom who lets her kids answer the front door :gasp: ), but I'm just going to say it:

It's okay to not be afraid all the time.

Thank you.

My son went to get our mail a couple of days ago. We have a long driveway and have a community box at the end of our driveway that requires a key for us to access our individual mail box. He struggled with the key and decided to ask one of three men who were surveying some property on the road for some help. The man couldn't get the key to work either (I think Harry was using the wrong key. :)). I went onto the front porch to see what was taking so long to see him waving and yelling a thank you to the men as he came back up the driveway.

I thought the whole scenario was wonderful. He needed help, wasn't afraid of asking for it, experienced some adults willing to help him and thanked them. I haven't mentioned it to many people because I KNOW they'll gasp at the scenario of my 10 year old boy approaching 3 strange men and insist I have a talk about "stranger danger" with him.

Edited by WishboneDawn

:iagree: The other mom made a mistake by telling you that initials were an option; the organization higher-ups probably said no b/c uniforms should be uniform. DS6 is in instructional league soccer and tee ball; the instructional league (ie K-1) doesn't have names on jerseys but anything higher does.

Nope no mistake made she just did as she decided - no one higher up had anything to do with it, Parks and Recs do not have names on any other league teams.

Lisa - the problem with asking an open-ended question like this when we don't know most of the facts (like what the norm is in your league) is that people are going to fill in the facts from their own experience. So you don't get people to agree with you and you don't get really helpful advice either. (I realize that I agreed with you but it was mostly because the woman went against what she told you that she would do.)

We do not allow names at all on clothing or backpacks. HOWEVER, we do allow it on uniforms. I make sure the kids are aware they have their uniform on and THAT is why people will use their name. The children are will me, Dad or their coach and team. They remove uniforms as soon as possible.

I actually own an embroidery machine and before putting names on ANYTHING for another child, I let the parent know what WE do for our children.

:iagree:You're overreacting to nothing. It's a baseball jersey. It's how the game is played. Yes, you will be considered the weird family if you do anything differently. And the scorekeepers won't be thrilled either. And if this is a hill you're willing to die on, you many want to reconsider your children's participation in league sports.

Well don't care what we are considered - the other teams in the league do not have names on their shirts because it is not a requirement as a matter of fact I will be checking Monday if it is even allowed. FYI - they don't even keep score. And why in the world would we want to consider our child not playing in league sports when he is an excellent player and loves the sport - that would be plain dumb :lol:

Lisa - the problem with asking an open-ended question like this when we don't know most of the facts (like what the norm is in your league) is that people are going to fill in the facts from their own experience. So you don't get people to agree with you and you don't get really helpful advice either. (I realize that I agreed with you but it was mostly because the woman went against what she told you that she would do.)

Jean,

I guess I don't understand why people are being nasty when I asked - Do you allow names on your child's shirt - then I wanted to know - What is your opinion and reasoning for this answer. I was asking for examples from others on their experience and what has shaped them into having that opinion. You are right, the question really was misunderstood.

Jean,

I guess I don't understand why people are being nasty when I asked - Do you allow names on your child's shirt - then I wanted to know - What is your opinion and reasoning for this answer. I was asking for examples from others on their experience and what has shaped them into having that opinion. You are right, the question really was misunderstood.

Can you clarify what your question is then? I guess I really don't get it.

If people are saying that their opinion is: typically team sports have jerseys/tees with their names on them and we allow it. The reasoning is: we don't view names on jerseys as a safety issue. Where is the misunderstanding :confused:.

Sorry, but this is a "uniform" for a sports team. The name says it all, they are supposed to be "uniform." If the norms in this league are that players wear their last names on their backs (which is pretty cool BTW) that that is "uniform."

You are not purchasing an item of clothing to wear around, you are purchasing a team uniform. It is part of the cost of doing business when you play on a team. You need to be clear on this or you will come off as having issues with both a sense of "entitlement" and "paranoia."

I'm sorry is this sounds harsh, but the "weird look" your husband got from the other Dad is the reaction you are going to get writ-large. If you are going to be on sport team you will need to accept that there are norms for participation, like being "snack-mom" one week, that include going along with league conventions on uniforms. If you can't manage that, don't play.

Bill

This post reminds me of an episode of "Jon and Kate Plus 8." They were going on one of their numerous trips all over the world and Kate was dutifully putting masking tape over the names on all her kids' backpacks. 12 Million strangers see your children on TV every week, but for sure, you need to blank out their backpack monograms when they're heading to the airport. :rolleyes:

:lol:

Thank you.

My son went to get our mail a couple of days ago. We have a long driveway and have community box at the end of our driveway that requires a key for us to access our individual mail box. He struggled with the key and decided to ask one of the three men who were surveying for some help. The man couldn't get the key to work either (I think Harry was using the wrong key. :). I went onto the front porch to see what was taking so long to see him waving and yelling a thank you to the men as he came back up the driveway.

I thought the whole scenario was wonderful. He needed help, wasn't afraid of asking for it, experienced some adults willing to help him and thanked them. I haven't mentioned it to many people because I KNOW they'll gasp at the scenario of my 10 year old boy approaching 3 strange men and insist I have a talk about "stranger danger" with him.

That's a great story.

Well don't care what we are considered - the other teams in the league do not have names on their shirts because it is not a requirement as a matter of fact I will be checking Monday if it is even allowed. FYI - they don't even keep score. And why in the world would we want to consider our child not playing in league sports when he is an excellent player and loves the sport - that would be plain dumb :lol:

As your child gets older and names on uniforms ARE required, you will be asked to leave if you can't obey the rules. Just thought you'd want your son to be spared the moniker of the "weird kid" because his family freaks out over something as simple as a name on a jersey.

We've only played soccer so far, and our league doesn't allow names on the shirts of the little ones. I have always monogrammed things with my kids names and never realized that it posed danger until recently. We decided that we will only do initials from now on, but that is on backpacks, shirts, etc. I would allow our last name in a jersey, but I don't think I would want his first name on there. I have told him about "stranger danger", but I think if someone came up to him and called him by name he would go to them. I am always with him, but if he for some reason got separated, I don't think he would be scared of a stranger.

As your child gets older and names on uniforms ARE required, you will be asked to leave if you can't obey the rules. Just thought you'd want your son to be spared the moniker of the "weird kid" because his family freaks out over something as simple as a name on a jersey.

FYI - it is not the league rule we are not rule breakers no other team in the league has names on their shirts. Us being concerned does not mean we do not do it when it is the rule. He does have his name or nickname or any name he chooses on his Hockey jersey and we are not freaked out. Ds is not being called a weird kid from his peers.

Anyway-

The poll was Do you allow your child's name on shirt? then What is your opinion and reasoning?

Not lets bash and make it about how weird, fears are unfounded and unhealthful and how people who are not the "norm" are paranoid.

FYI - it is not the league rule we are not rule breakers no other team in the league has names on their shirts. Us being concerned does not mean we do not do it when it is the rule. He does have his name or nickname or any name he chooses on his Hockey jersey and we are not freaked out. Ds is not being called a weird kid from his peers.

Anyway-

The poll was Do you allow your child's name on shirt? then What is your opinion and reasoning?

Not lets bash and make it about how weird, fears are unfounded and unhealthful and how people who are not the "norm" are paranoid.

Feeling that fears are unfounded, not healthful to a child's sense of safety in the world and that disallowing this particular version of jersey names IS an opinion and reasoning. IMO, the likelihood that my child's name on the back of his jersey making him a target for a predator is infinitesimally small. It is smaller than the chance he could get struck in the eye with a baseball and smash his ocular bone into a billion pieces. It is smaller than the likelihood he will get hit by a car crossing from the parking lot to the playing field.

Anyway-

So it is okay on one jersey but not the other? :confused:

So, yes we do allow it as see no reason not to do so. The risk from putting his name on a uniform is so small that it does not appear on our radar.

We have no problems with names on uniforms. Our sons play hockey, and all three children have played baseball/softball. In my opinion, if someone wanted to find out a player's name all they would have to do is observe a game, listen to parents and friends cheer, hear the coach's shout instructions, and they would probably know every child's name in short order even with no names on the uniforms.

I focus on teaching my kids street smarts and self-defense skills rather than avoiding normal everyday things like names on sports jerseys. If your child would go with a stranger just because the stranger knows his last name, your child needs some training.

But if that is not your concern, please explain: why do you not want your kids' surnames on some of their jerseys? You asked us our opinions and we shared. So let us hear yours, please.

Yes, I'm OK with names on sports gear. DD swims and has her last name on her cap. Her full name is printed in the program.

Yep. My daughter played 6 games in OC, MD (so, resort town. Lots of dodgy looking characters) this weekend, with her team name, number, and last name on her jersey. Her full name is next to her number on her team's roster in the (free for the asking) tournament program. And, in at least 2 games - maybe 3, it's all a blur right now - all 18 girls (less the padded goalie) stood on the field in their sports bras and shorts while they flipped their jerseys to the reverse side so as to visually differentiate from the opposing team. Not a single parent batted an eye, nor did the coaches on either side or the refs, male or female.

I'm not a "helicopter parent", nor do I let my kids free-range. And I firmly believe that it's nearly impossible to "overprotect" children. When my 7yos went to play at the playground, my husband and I were with them. Ditto, when the girls went around shoppig at the vendor booths. Nobody is going to try to lure the girls away from their parents and coaches, whether they know their name or not. Walking around, the kids have a chaperone or two always, and travel in groups. We try to stay unobtrusive, so the kids can do their activity, but we're there and watching the whole time.

Again, I will say that names are not the issue. Presence is the issue. And, quite frankly, if I was a random park-snatcher, the kid without a name on his shirt (on a team of name-bearing jerseys) would stand out as the one that doesn't belong and probably easier prey than those who are clearly part of the group. Just a thought.

Can you clarify what your question is then? I guess I really don't get it.

If people are saying that their opinion is: typically team sports have jerseys/tees with their names on them and we allow it. The reasoning is: we don't view names on jerseys as a safety issue. Where is the misunderstanding :confused:.

:iagree: Yes, but you have those who feel the need to over state their opinion as we are setting our child up to be labeled, how wrong we are for our beliefs - so my opinion is that they misunderstood the question. Why else would people be so rude.

So the misunderstanding would be...in their answers like..

how weird, fears are unfounded and unhealthful and how people who are not the "norm" are paranoid. :001_huh:

how your child will not be allowed to play because we have to follow rules.

FYI- We follow rules, but in this case it is not the rule - no other teams in the league have names on their shirts. (This is information they did not have they just assumed we are rule breakers)

So it is okay on one jersey but not the other? :confused:

So, yes we do allow it as see no reason not to do so. The risk from putting his name on a uniform is so small that it does not appear on our radar.

ChocolareReign,

Yes, it is the rule and hockey jerseys are only worn in the rink. Where as ds likes to wear his baseball t- shirt everywhere and at his age he is not always with us.

ChocolareReign,

Yes, it is the rule and hockey jerseys are only worn in the rink. Where as ds likes to wear his baseball t- shirt everywhere and at his age he is not always with us.

So when you said "Okay I am asking because we only allow initials" wasn't entirely accurate.

Sorry, but it looks like you are trying to find drama, especially considering you said you were going to call the league to see if your team mom broke the rules.

ChocolareReign,

You could tell him not to.

I think I agree with Chocolate Reign's last comment.

:iagree: Yes, but you have those who feel the need to over state their opinion as we are setting our child up to be labeled, how wrong we are for our beliefs - so my opinion is that they misunderstood the question. Why else would people be so rude.

So the misunderstanding would be...in their answers like..

how weird, fears are unfounded and unhealthful and how people who are not the "norm" are paranoid. :001_huh:

how your child will not be allowed to play because we have to follow rules.

FYI- We follow rules, but in this case it is not the rule - no other teams in the league have names on their shirts. (This is information they did not have they just assumed we are rule breakers)

You are quite founded to be fearful. I think initials may make you stand out, but how about a nick name instead? Remember the names also help the coaches remember who the players are. Maybe your son could be "sneezy" or "gipper" on the jersey.....and why not just let him be called the nickname by everyone vs his actual name? If people never knew your sons "real name"-------you would be much safer.

Edited by CarolfromIL

You are quite founded to be fearful. I think initials may make you stand out, but how about a nick name instead? Remember the names also help the coaches remember who the players are. Maybe your son could be "sneezy" or "gipper" on the jersey.....and why not just let him be called the nickname by everyone vs his actual name? If people never knew your sons "real name"-------you would be much safer.

Founded on what?

So when you said "Okay I am asking because we only allow initials" wasn't entirely accurate.

Sorry, but it looks like you are trying to find drama, especially considering you said you were going to call the league to see if your team mom broke the rules.

ChocolateReign,

It is accurate for a t- shirt that he is going to be wearing out and about. Besides he does not wear his hockey jersey outside the rink.

Don't have time for drama, but the phone call will be made tomorrow because we would like to know the rules, since I am the team parent and my husband is an asst. coach.

As far as me saying anything to her about it - don't plan to - she knows she overstepped by not abiding by my husbands wishes. The head coach even said he would get our son a different t-shirt, but we said that it was okay we would fix it so we did. All in calm voices not stated in front of any other team members. We plan for the kids to have a great ball season and so far they have won the 1st 2 games and all is good.

Nonsense. The shirts have been made, and you knew they were being made. Making the phone call now makes no sense, and comes across as petty.

"Whatever you say" We were told when she was going to put the names on the shirt and she was told and agreed to put initials on his - then at the 1st game when she brought the shirts she had did as she pleased. Point being she did not make the shirt we payed for the way she had agreed to. The way my family wanted it!

Edited by gevs4him

I think having a child's last name on a jersey is totally normal in baseball, and that the fears are unfounded and unhealthful.

I'd urge you not to be paranoid.

Bill

Carol,

sarcastic much.. can see why your Blog is pending: "Guidance from your Pastor"

You know, I understand your reasoning in general; if I were taking my dc to, say, Disneyland, I would give them name badges that had Mr. Ellie's and my names on them, and our cell phone #s, not the dc's names.

However, your ds is on a team. All the team members wear shirts with their last names on them; if nothing else, putting last names on the jerseys helps people to easily identify players from a distance. I think you were being paranoid to do what you did, and not being sufficiently submissive to the organization.

We homeschoolers do not get to make our own rules outside of our own homes. The rule for the baseball team--understood rule even if not written down, because why on earth should it need to be written down--is that players' last names are on their jerseys. If you disagree with that rule, then your ds shouldn't play; you shouldn't make up your own rule.

JMHO, but you did ask. :)

::puts on the flame-proof Xena Warrior Princess armor and awaits the flames::

:iagree: with Ellie, too, especially the bolded.

"Whatever you say" We were told when she was going to put the names on the shirt and she was told and agreed to put initials on his - then at the 1st game when she brought the shirts she had did as she pleased. Point being she did not make the shirt we payed for the way she had agreed to. The way my family wanted it!

I think the pp's point was that if you really were concerned whether names on jerseys were allowed in general, you would have asked before the shirts were made.

Sounds like you have complained to various people about this woman's mistake (so I guess you've decided she did this on purpose and she needs to be publicly shamed). I am not sure it will be her who looks bad if you complain to yet another person about this issue. I don't think anyone cares whether your kid is able to wear his jersey around town without people seeing his last name.

I think the pp's point was that if you really were concerned whether names on jerseys were allowed in general, you would have asked before the shirts were made.

Sounds like you have complained to various people about this woman's mistake (so I guess you've decided she did this on purpose and she needs to be publicly shamed). I am not sure it will be her who looks bad if you complain to yet another person about this issue. I don't think anyone cares whether your kid is able to wear his jersey around town without people seeing his last name.

:iagree: I didn't actually read all the posts (sorry, not much time), but I seriously doubt the ONE parent (or two) who have problems with names on the back of a team shirt are going to be the ones getting sympathy in this situation. They'll be the ones being talked about - and not really in a good way. I'm glad we didn't have any of these on our soccer teams when my hubby was coaching! We had great parents. The more I hear of stories like this the more thankful I am!!!

I'm with ChocolateReign. I would drop this. Even if she was wrong to do this pursing this will earn nothing other than other coaches not wanting your child to be on their team no matter how skilled your child might be. I've been behind the scenes enough to tell you that is a real possibility. Coaches are volunteers and they don't like having to deal with this level of drama and they will avoid it if they can.