Menu

Free eBooks for All 7 Continents

Hunter

Carson-Dellosa has a new series for the 7 continents. The regular e-books are $9.99 and available at their site and at Currclick. They have published remedial level reading pages for the workbooks which they are providing for free at the website. If you click on each individual title, and then the tab that says "sample", you will see the free ebook.

The free ebooks look like they can be used as stand alone spines, independent of the workbooks.

Did I miss something? The book said it is 48 pages, but the sample is only 15. Was there something else I was supposed to click on??

These free pages are only meant to be supplements to the main books. The main books contain a more advanced reading, and worksheets. These free pages are aimed at "reluctant readers", that are not able to handle the more advanced reading in the regular lessons.

Some of us don't use worksheets though and only need the main content. The reading level is perfect for my tutoring students. I hope they make more of these "reluctant reader" supplements!

Hunter, once more you show what a treasure you are to this site and its users. Thank you.

I'm not familiar with the publisher. what's the general worldview? I know these are for reluctant readers, but the middle east sample I read is.... interesting.

ETA: I see what you mean. After some web searching it became apparent that Carson-Dellosa is a Christian publishing company. After looking over some of the ebooks, I don't think that they are that religiously pushy, although I'd agree that there are some less than stellar parts, including right from the beginning talking about B.C. and A.D. as tied to the birth of Jesus, without any mention of the better labels "B.C.E." and "C.E." to refer to the "Common Era". There are definitely religious overtones in the body of the books too, though they are certainly not as terribly overt as others I've seen.

Edited by Iucounu

My assumption is--I don't know how accurate it is--that CD started out as a Christian publisher that expanded into the secular market.

The only problem I have with BCE and CE is that it is just renaming a religious method. I have no problem using either a secular or a religious method of measuring time. I just think it's...inaccurate--for lack of a better word--to just rename a religious method.

As for the inclusion of The Exodus in the Middle East text, while I was surprised, I don't think that is incompatible with the inclusion of all sorts of "facts" we are used to seeing that are based on texts, equal or less reliable than the Bible, to secular scholars. We don't know nearly as much as we pretend to, about the past. I am content to teach whatever is culturally in vogue and/or makes a nice neat chart. I don't have the time or the energy to try and do it "right", as I don't even believe in a "right".

I tend to use the ultraconservative Christian timelines, because they make such a nice neat timeline :-) I love artificially simplified science lists too :-) Life is too short for details that don't have anything to do with MY life or the lives of my students. I purposely teach things that are "wrong" all the time, and declare my right to do so :-)

I purposely broke my timeline at a corner, right about Noah's Ark, and tell my students that there is huge controversy, before the corner. I want to find a dinosaur or fossil chart to hang right above the Adam and Eve's creation at 4000 BC. But the timelines we USE (I have 2, one right under the other, that use the same scale) start at 4000 BC and are entirely based on Biblical genealogies.

I looked at secular timelines, but they all contradicted each other, never mind my Bible as literature curricula. I'm too OCD to wrestle with that, because at this tired point in my life, I just do NOT care. I really don't.

But you younger ladies with more energy, I understand where you all are coming from, on both sides :-) My mom was ultraconservative, but her mom was a witch, and my dad and husband were both raised Catholic but were non practicing if not complete nonbelievers. And in the course of my recovery, I'm not even going to say what I've dabbled in :-) I can say BTDT to almost everything from Pentecostal to Mennonite to Witchcraft to Chakras to shamanism.

All I know is that humans crave spirituality and suffer more mental illness without it. Because of this deep craving, abusers have figured out that they can use religion to gain power. And that is where all the "fun" starts :-( In ALL religions :-(

Edited by Hunter

My assumption is--I don't know how accurate it is--that CD started out as a Christian publisher that expanded into the secular market.

I didn't realize this.

It took me so long to download them that I haven't had a chance to look at it yet. However, I was under the impression that it's secular, but I agree, it's rare to find any sort of "neutrality" on certain topics, especially those in the Middle East book.

I didn't realize this.

It took me so long to download them that I haven't had a chance to look at it yet. However, I was under the impression that it's secular, but I agree, it's rare to find any sort of "neutrality" on certain topics, especially those in the Middle East book.

Exactly. These are meant to be secular, and I consider them secular, but I can see how some people need an almost anti-Christain stance, to labels something as secular. But if we are being technical, any anti-religious stance is no longer secular, because it "pertains to religion". Secular just means "don't go there".

And we have used all sorts of religious, but not usually Judeo-Christian texts, to form our current secular views of history. It's not appropriate to exclude every word of an ancient text that gives the only clues as to how a certain people group came to be, automatically thinking everything in it is a lie. Because we haven't done that to other people groups. That would be unbalanced.

And a large part of the unrest in the middle east is based on the beliefs of the people in that area, which teach this Abrahamic history.

It's just hard. This is why I teach geography more than history! There isn't enough that is "real" in history, for me to grasp. It's all he said, she said to me, with agendas other than full disclosure.

Edited by Hunter

When I try to download the Australia book I get Europe instead. Is this happening for everyone?

Stripe The Great came to our rescue and figured out where it is. I looked for a superhero smilie, but there isn't one here, so I'll post this pic.

wonderwoman1.jpg

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I don't think all the pages are in these samples. :(

The worksheets are in the main curriculum, but the reading portions are complete. If you are using outlining, narrations or notebooking you don't need worksheets. Also some people are just using them as a spine. Ignore the page numbers on the reading pages. It's all there.

I personally have no need of the worksheets as we will be doing Draw Write Now and quasi-Waldorf style notebooking, like this.

7be749fa.jpg

Edited by Hunter

(fainting)

I should say you DON'T need any boring old worksheets. That's lovely!

I adore Draw Write Now. The backgrounds are lovely. We often don't use the main feature and just use the backgrounds. I laugh when people ask me if Draw Write Now is too young for my adult LD students. Nope, *I* don't think so at least :-0

Check out this Waldorf video on

I printed out all the geography pages and brass fastened them together into a book. It seems SOOOOO thick knowing that each and every paragraph is worth memorizing, copying and drawing. I so do NOT need worksheets :-)

I don't get the paragraph on African societies. It says there are 6 societies based on the work of members, but then only lists 5 types of work. Is mixed the 6th occupation? Sometimes simplified just makes it harder I think :-0