Menu

Does anyone's child take riding lessons?

We just started on this venture with two (I'm sure soon three) dd's. They LOVE it. Love it. They ask every.single.day. if we can ride. :) I'm sure horse ownership is in our (distant lol) future. Right now, we can only afford one lesson per week. However, I know they will eventually need more lessons...how does one afford this?!?! Do we eventually get to a point where they can just go and ride, practice, without it being a 'lesson'? We can't do more than one lesson right now, but they need to be on a horse more often in order to really get good at it. I remember when I used to dance competitively, they offered a flat monthly rate, where we could take as many classes per week as we wanted. Is that something that typically happens in the riding world? I talked to kids yesterday that are at the barn everyday...I can't imagine what they are paying for hours of lessons daily!!! How does it all work once they get to a more intermediate/advanced level???:confused:

We did horseback riding lessons for one year. My kids loved it but in the end it was too cost prohibitive. One of my friends daughters volunteers at the barn in exchange for lessons/riding time. Perhaps you can barter.

Well, I'm sure that every barn is different, so it is hard to say exactly. There is definitely no flat fee at our barn. You pay for each lesson and you can't just ride anytime you want to unless you own your own horse. Sometimes there are special circumstances that work out for both you and the barn. For instance, at our barn, they wanted someone to acclimate a new horse. They asked DD's friend to do so since she is an intermediate level rider. So, it benefits both of them and she gets to ride more than she normally would.

We ended up buying DD a horse so that she could ride as much as she wants. I am very grateful that we can afford to do so. :001_smile:

Speaking of horses, I'm off now to watch DD ride in a horse show. :D

I'd like dd to take lessons, but around here, it's about $30 for a half hour semi-private, and close to that for an hour group lesson. I'm hoping to pay for several months and then have her volunteer to muck stalls and such in exchange for a reduction or free lesson.

Another option for when your dc become more experienced is to work out a barter arrangement with a particular boarder at the stable where you ride. For example, you could still have a private lesson weekly, but then exercise Mrs. X's horse in exchange for the opportunity to ride several additional times per week.

Also, you might check into the possibility of leasing a horse if you don't want the long term committment of buying one. Just be sure the lease agreement clearly spells out who pays for boarding, feed, vet care, farrier, tack, etc. during the lease period. I have often seen great 4-H horses offered as lease horses after the 4-Her goes off to college. They are not sure they are done with riding but they can't be home to care for the horse themselves. You could call your county's Extension Service office and ask for a contact in any local 4-H horse clubs to see if anyone has something like this available.

If your child plans to show, do read the show requirements carefully. Some classes may require certain paperwork or certain restrictions for anyone riding a horse they or their family do not own. This is usually to prevent someone from going out at the last minute and renting a ringer to scoop up all the prizes.

When I was growing up riding (across several different states), I never ran into a barn where there was a flat fee "come out and ride as often as you like" deal. Generally speaking, they are using school horses who are on a strict schedule of when they get ridden, how often & by who.

That said, the main ways that I can think of to get more lessons without paying more money are:

1) Have child work at the barn if possible - as they get more proficient in riding & working, they will often be able to find a position where they can ride quite often. I worked at a barn when I was 14-16 & rode basically 5 times a week; I helped teach kiddie lessons (including LOTS of the summer camp stuff- bleah), worked horses on the ground, cleaned tack, etc. In exchange, she let me ride in lessons a couple times a week and on my own the rest of the week, and I got to try out new lesson horses. She even splurged & let me ride one of her super-awesome "in-training" horses in a major show once! :) I didn't stop until I saved up enough money from part-time job to buy my own horse.

2) Find a smaller barn, probably privately owned, where there will almost undoubtedly be opportunities to work in exchange for riding and there could well be a private "gem" of an instructor. This is where I am right now (on the horse owner side); I have lots of horses on a private little farm, but my kids ended up not being interested in riding. So, I periodically find people who are horse-loving and want to help me around the place & work my horses with/for me (they are pretty decent horses - I'm not talking "real" training here, just riding!). I've been riding since I was 8yo (the same age as my oldest now!) and I know a little bit about a LOT of stuff & am more than happy to share my knowledge to any interested parties - lol! Just try to remember, if you do this, that they ARE saving you lots of money and to not abuse that - I can't tell you how many times I've been blown off by people for FREE kid riding lessons because "something came up". Very frustrating & has made me pretty much stop that.

3) Do a partial or full lease on a horse. If you find the right horse, you can often really make out well on these deals! Generally, the owner of the horse will be responsible for board/feed/vet/etc and you pay them a set monthly fee to be able to ride it (either x times a week or whenever, depending on the deal). If you ride well enough to get a lot out of this, and you find a well trained horse for a reasonable price, this could be great! However, I would still highly recommend periodic lessons.

4) Buy a horse. Honestly, this would be VERY VERY far down on my list - in fact, unless you personally (or another adult in your house) have lots of horse experience & know-how, or you are absolutely sure that you can get in with someone who has such knowledge & won't have any problems sharing it, you should really NOT get a horse. I have seen waaaaay too many people buy & horse & then end up with a variety of problems, mainly stemming from not knowing enough about horses, to think it is a good idea for a beginning or novice rider without a strong HORSE support system to do this.

ETA - I see a lot that often what happens when you buy a horse is you realize it would be a lot cheaper to keep that horse at XX (maybe your back yard, or a field of grass nearby, or a barn with no trainers) and move it from the great barn you have been gaining knowledge at. Then the horse gets a problem (health or, more often, behavioral) that you don't know how to deal with. When it isn't dealt with correctly, it gets much worse. Then people often end up with a horse they are scared to ride because of XYZ problem (sometimes even scared to get near) and they have to get rid of it - but a horse with behavioral problems is a dime a dozen & could be hard to sell (at least for what you put into it), and might go to slaughter in the end (at least around here).

Edited by black_midori

My 2 girls ride once a week.

This first year we had scholarships through the equestrian center. This year, so far, they got the scholarship for a week of horse camp in August. Now I'm waiting to hear if they get the yearly scholarship.

My 1 dd got a PA grant for being on the autism spectrum. I'm still waiting to hear if she got this one for this new year.

This has been the best thing for them. :001_smile:

Thanks for the suggestions! I was hooping maybe we could trade/barter, but I didn't want to be forward/inappropriate by asking so soon, kwim? We do volunteer at another barn, in exchange for just being allowed to come and let the girls experience all the animals. I'd definitely be more than willing to muck stalls/clean tack/whatever if they would let me. :DI just love being around the horses, they are so magnificent.

Remudamom-oh my word, if only we lived where you do!!! We'd volunteer to ride ANYtime lol. ;)

No, we definitely won't be buying a horse any time soon. As much as we love them, we know we aren't educated about them enough. We want to be heavily involved with the barn for a few years before we even begin to think about buying one. And even then, we would probably board for a while, for exactly the reasons black_midori stated. I'd be afraid we would miss a small symptom of a bigger issue.

So you all think it would be ok for me to ask about bartering? I don't want to cross any lines that are kind of unwritten in the horse world, kwim?

You already have great suggestions, but here's one more - probably not useful now, but maybe down the road a bit...

I grew up riding, and one of my first jobs was giving lessons to the littles in exchange for my own lessons during the summers. Obviously, I'd been riding a long time at that point, and could handle giving lessons. But it definitely helped offset the summer cost of lessons.

You might keep that idea under your hat, for the future. :)

Once we had our own horses, we also boarded others' - and those fees helped finance my lessons, too. Another idea to keep tucked away for some time in the future, if you end up with horses.

Lessons are expensive. In the barns around here kids who want to ride without a lesson usually arrange a lease or half-lease on a horse at the barn. The barn owner will usually be able to facilitate those arrangements - she will know who has a horse that wants someone to lease and which riders would be a good fit for the horse.

The riding instructor we go to no longer barters for riding time - she found it caused too many problems. But some find it works well.

4) Buy a horse. Honestly, this would be VERY VERY far down on my list - in fact, unless you personally (or another adult in your house) have lots of horse experience & know-how, or you are absolutely sure that you can get in with someone who has such knowledge & won't have any problems sharing it, you should really NOT get a horse. I have seen waaaaay too many people buy & horse & then end up with a variety of problems, mainly stemming from not knowing enough about horses, to think it is a good idea for a beginning or novice rider without a strong HORSE support system to do this.

ETA - I see a lot that often what happens when you buy a horse is you realize it would be a lot cheaper to keep that horse at XX (maybe your back yard, or a field of grass nearby, or a barn with no trainers) and move it from the great barn you have been gaining knowledge at. Then the horse gets a problem (health or, more often, behavioral) that you don't know how to deal with. When it isn't dealt with correctly, it gets much worse. Then people often end up with a horse they are scared to ride because of XYZ problem (sometimes even scared to get near) and they have to get rid of it - but a horse with behavioral problems is a dime a dozen & could be hard to sell (at least for what you put into it), and might go to slaughter in the end (at least around here).

I do agree with this. Owning a horse is a huge commitment! We didn't buy DD1 a horse until she had been riding for 5 years. Our horse is boarded at our wonderful riding facility, and she is in great hands there. We are fortunate that we can afford to do this for DD, but if we couldn't, we would find other options for DD to ride. We would never buy a horse and then start cutting corners. How sad for horses that have to experience that. :crying:

My 15dd does weekly riding lessons at a hunter/jumper barn. They are $35/hour for private lessons.

We though own our own horses. We have 4 of them. I do agree with starting out with lots of lessons/leasing and then boarding until you know quite a bit about horses. We boarded our horses for 3 years with a friend of mine and she taught me lots about little things to watch for, proper feeding, farrier, vet care, etc.

Is leasing a 4H horse an option? In our area, many 4H leaders will lease a horse for $200-400 for the 4 months of 4H season and you get several rides a week plus the 4H group lesson and maybe even a private lesson.

My dd who rides only takes one lesson a week. We currently lease a pony, so she can ride whenever I can get her there. But, most kids at our barn who don't own or lease only ride once a week and they still manage to move up pretty well. Also, our trainer has plenty of horses who need exercise and work, so kids can ask to come and just ride and he generally can accomodate them. We are at a busy barn and the trainer is pretty much there 5 days a week 8-6.

Just ask, if you don't you will never know..........

When I was a kid, lessons were $45/month. Man, I wish they were still that cheap! :tongue_smilie:

Anyway, the barn I rode at had a "Saturday Helper" program, since most lessons were on Saturdays (they only had a lesson or two during the week, since most people had to drive 30 minutes to get there). Once a kid was a certain age, they could apply to the program, and in that program, our parents would drop us off early in the morning and pick us up late in the afternoon. We'd catch up all the horses, groom them and get them ready for their lessons. We'd teach beginners how to groom and tack their horses. We'd help lead ponies during the little kid classes (I'm thinking 4-5 year olds, but it's been a LONG time). Once we were ready, we'd even teach beginner classes. We mucked stalls, fed horses, did any care that needed to be done. We washed out troughs, cleaned tack, etc. In the afternoon, we'd get one hour of "free ride" in exchange for all that work. That free ride might be in the ring, on a trail (if enough people were going), etc. I remember sometimes going to the nature preserve nextdoor and going swimming on horseback. So much fun! :D

Anyway, up until I was old enough for the Saturday Helper Program, I had no problem progressing by just riding once a week. And once I was in that program, I was still only riding one day per week, but it was twice that day. I did well in schooling shows and such. My parents couldn't afford to lease or buy a horse, so that was not an option. (I do have a horse and a pony now as an adult ;))

Thank you for beginning this thread. This subject has been on my mind, too, and apart from a brief horse period in my preteen reading life, I'm horse dumb.

My daughters began taking lessons again in February. They had been with a dressage / jumping barn from November 2007 through October 2008 on a non-competitive track. After two sessions with the group class available through our park district, we arranged for a weekly private lesson. When their teacher left the barn, I considered it a sign that the girls' "horse phase" was over.

Apparently, I was wrong.

The group lessons were inexpensive, and the private lessons were pretty reasonable, but their current arrangement is $50 each for a 90-minute lesson (one hour in the saddle). In April and May, they rode twice weekly, but once summer swim team begins, they'll be back to once a week. Still, at this rate, leasing a horse -- as someone in this thread suggested -- would be much more reasonable. Both of the horses they ride regularly are available for lease, and this is what we're considering come fall. We're thinking that by then, they will have accumulated enough experience.

My DD12 loves to ride and would love to own a horse. Totally out of the question for us financially! We were lucky to find a great barn at which they allow kids ages 12 and up to be "working students" in exchange for either a lease, a partial lease and/or free lessons. DD is also involved in breaking a two year old colt. She works him by herself two days a week in exchange for one lesson in breaking.

So, essentially, during the summers DD will work two feed staff/stall staff days a week and spend two hours with the two year old in exchange for free lessons in riding and breaking, then a partial lease with rights to ride any time the horse is not in lessons. All of her summer activities will then be cost-free to us as parents other than transportation and show fees. During the school year, we agreed to pay the cost of lessons as long as she agrees to work one day a week to cover the lease. Her trainer is fabulous, the barn is lovely and everything is focused on making the kids into true horsemen rather than just a kiddo who rides.

Perhaps if you look around and/or ask at the local horse supply store for referrals, you can find a similar setup in your area.

• 2 weeks later...
My 2 girls ride once a week.

This first year we had scholarships through the equestrian center. This year, so far, they got the scholarship for a week of horse camp in August. Now I'm waiting to hear if they get the yearly scholarship.

My 1 dd got a PA grant for being on the autism spectrum. I'm still waiting to hear if she got this one for this new year.

This has been the best thing for them. :001_smile:

Please tell me about the benefits!

I am considering lessons for 2 of my children... one is horse crazy and the other would just be because 2 is the same cost as 1 so why not do 2. But I can't figure out what the end goal is so I can't decide if it's worth it or not. How long will we be doing this? What are we accomplishing?

I know the kids do TKD with the goal of a black belt and I know that will take them 5-8 years. But what are we doing with the horses? Or do we just do it and wait and see why we are doing it? Financially we will never own a horse and never be able to do much of anything with this interest. So I'm just torn on if we should start this investment.

My dd12 pays $100 per month for unlimited riding. That's a great rate but in the beginning it didn't seem so great because she didn't have that much freedom siince she was a beginner. My dd also does A LOT of work in the stables that I think offsets her instruction. There have been months when she didn't have the funds to cover her riding and she had to work it out with the stable...either work in exchange for riding or don't ride. The owner can only say yes or no...what's the harm in asking?

Carolyn

We did it for one year and it was a costly beast. The boys loved it. However, we couldn't keep our horse any longer and had to let her go. Once she was gone, they lost their heart for it.

You could see if there is a 4-H horse club nearby. My niece rides with one. She gets to ride once per week on a horse owned by the club leader and then she has a private lesson once per week at a different barn with that owner's horse. So, yes, she has to ride two different horses each week. But, at least she is able to get out more than once.

Faith

Yes, there is unlimited riding. We lease a horse which means we pay for board and vet. In exchange, DD has unlimited riding privileges on this horse - she can ride daily if she wants. This is, however, only an option for an advanced rider who can ride without instruction. We pay extra for actual lessons with her trainer.

The stall cleaners at our barn all get "paid" in riding lessons or reduced board.

There are so many variables with riding and what the "goal" is. For some kids, they just want to ride around on a horse. Others want to show. There are many "styles" of riding as well. English and Western and then in those are jumping, hunters, reining, dressage, trail, speed, rodeo, etc. There are local riding groups, lesson barns, 4H, circuits, etc as well.

Riding is a great core strengthening exercise as well.

What type of riding are your kids interesed in/have the opportunity to do? I think it is great for teaching responsibility as well. There is no other sport where doing well depends on communicating well with a 1000 pound animal.

I know the kids do TKD with the goal of a black belt and I know that will take them 5-8 years. But what are we doing with the horses? Or do we just do it and wait and see why we are doing it? Financially we will never own a horse and never be able to do much of anything with this interest. So I'm just torn on if we should start this investment.

I hope horseback riding will bring DD joy and confidence. She currently rides once a week, but it is our plan to get DD her own horse within two years. Full boarding at a great nearby barn is only $500 a month.

I hope horseback riding will bring DD joy and confidence. She currently rides once a week, but it is our plan to get DD her own horse within two years. Full boarding at a great nearby barn is only $500 a month.

Glad we live in a cheaper horse area. We have ours at home and I budget about $350/month total for our FOUR horses. That includes hay/grain/supplements, vets, farrier, occ. tack items, fly spray, etc. We do not have an indoor arena though and in Michigan, that would be a nice thing to have.

We pay $35/week for private 1 hour lessons at a local hunter/jumper barn where my daughter alternates between lessons on her horse and one of their lesson horses. For $15/horse we can trailer in to use the indoor area so we might do that occ. this winter just for fun.

Horseback riding though does provide joy and confidence here as well..........and since our horses are here at home, the opportunity to scoop poop on a daily basis:001_smile: We rarely stall ours so we dont' have to clean stalls very often but since we only have 3 acres designated for the horses we need to scoop poop daily.

Boarding does have its advantages though as you don't have to worry when you want to go on vacation and have to locate someone to come feed horses 3 times a day (we have a senior guy that needs a mash that often), feed the dog, cats, chickens, etc.

• 2 weeks later...
Glad we live in a cheaper horse area. We have ours at home and I budget about $350/month total for our FOUR horses. That includes hay/grain/supplements, vets, farrier, occ. tack items, fly spray, etc. We do not have an indoor arena though and in Michigan, that would be a nice thing to have.

Heh...I thought that was a good price!