Menu

Can you suggest a novel for me?

I tend to like books about women, relationships, emotion but I would rather nothing too sad.

I would like something contemporary that is not too heavy that I can read in the middle of the night when insomnia strikes but I am still very tired.

Something meaningful, that will let me grow a bit; nothing too silly or frivolous.

I recently read The Time Traveler's Wife and A Tree Grows in Brooklyn and liked these.

I would prefer to stay away from crime, mysteries, history, politics.

:bigear:

On the best contemporary writers I know is Barbara Kingslover. I'd say "Prodigal Summer" has the least sadness. A lot of her books have some sadness.

If you don't mind and Irish writer Maeve Binchy writes about relationships with a little sadness and some humor.

I agree with a lot of those choices. I really like Barbara Kingsolver, but I find her too thought-provoking for late night reading. If you're looking for something fun and easy, I love anything by Sophie Kinsella. Super easy to read, laugh out loud funny.

I wish I were better about remembering titles and authors! I read a ton and can never remember what's what later. I should keep a list. :)

I also recently read Water for Elephants and that was good, too.

Left Neglected by Lisa Genova

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer & Annie Barrows

Calico Joe by John Grisham (any Grisham, actually)

The Wednesday Sisters by Meg Waite Clayton

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

Look Again by Lisa Scottoline

Gilead by Marilynne Robinson

The Things that Keep Us Here by Carla Buckley

Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford

How to be a Hepburn in a Hilton World by Jordan Christy (non-fiction)

The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls (memoir)

I'll second Garden Spells and say that anything by that author, Sarah Addison Allen, fits the bill.

Someone on here recommended her to me when I was looking for a good book and I've loved all of her books. I think Garden Spells is my favorite thoug

Sugar Daddy by Lisa Kleypas

"From Booklist

Money is tight while Liberty Jones is growing up in Welcome, Texas, but somehow she and her mother Diana manage. Having good friends like Miss Marva, Lucy Reyes, and especially Hardy Cates, on whom Liberty has a crush, helps. Then tragedy strikes and Liberty must take care of her younger sister and find a way to support them. Hard work and determination get Liberty through cosmetology school, then, while working in a Houston salon, she meets wealthy older businessman Churchill Travis, who offers her a job as his personal assistant. At first Liberty is reluctant to accept, especially since Churchill's son, Gage, seems to think she's a gold digger. Then, just as Liberty is settling into her new life and her initially frosty relationship with Gage is heating up and turning romantic, Hardy Cates, her first unrequited love, reappears. New York Times best-seller and RITA Award winner Kleypas moves from historical romance into contemporary women's fiction with an emotionally compelling and superbly satisfying tale of family, friendship, hope, and love. Writing with wit, wisdom, and warmth, Kleypas has created a book to treasure. John Charles

Copyright © American Library Association. All rights reserved"

Regards,

Kareni

I always recommend The #1 Women's Detective Agency series. They are not too heavy, and they always end well. At the same time, they have some depth to them, and are humorous and poignant at the same time. They take place in Africa. I just can't speak highly enough of them!

I just finished Half Broke Horses and really enjoyed it. It is a memoir written by the ladies granddaughter. It was a really interesting slice of history, the lady comes of age during WW1 in the Arizona, New Mexico area. Most people are still riding horses.

Coming of age

Being a more independent woman in a man's time

modernization

etc...

It was a good, quick, and pleasant read.

More readers should be aware of her.

Her books include:

A History of Women

The Gardens of Kyoto

Where She Went

I wouldn't characterize her books as "sad", but they make you think, especially about the status of women (including as mothers). They are also bitingly funny at times. She is a real questioner.