Menu

Apparently the crazies are out in droves lately...

About a year and a half ago we moved into the small village we had previously lived a few miles out of. Our street is populated almost completely by elderly people; it's quiet and people mostly keep to themselves. The lady across the street moved in shortly after we did. She's mid-to-late-fifties and lives alone with approximately 15 cats. We suspect she's running some sort of "underground" shelter, since the cats come and go, and the code here would prohibit an actual cat shelter as the county already runs one.

We have a cat that had pretty fair run of our first home along with the yard. He spent most of his time prowling outside and would only come in at night. When we moved to the village house, he became a (mostly) indoor cat who tries to escape outside whenever we aren't looking. And with a two-year-old who delights in letting the kitty out, it unfortunately has been happening more often. About three months ago, Cat Lady came over and complained that our cat had been coming over and hanging out on her porch. I asked what he was doing, because we have been looking to rehome him and I wanted to know if he was disturbing or fighting with her cats. Apparently he was just sleeping on the cat bed she leaves on the porch for stray cats....um...okay. We redoubled efforts to keep our cat inside.

A couple weeks ago, our next door neighbor(a sweet elderly woman, not the cat lady) approached my husband and asked him to stop feeding our cat on her property as the dishes were attracting rodents and other animals. We had no idea what she was talking about. She said that for the past few weeks, there has been a dish outside on her front yard, bordering ours, containing food. We looked and sure enough, there was. We thought this was strange, so we started watching, and every day there was a new dish with new food in it. Some days it would be empty by the end of the day, other days not, but it certainly was attracting rodents and skunks. One morning I happened to leave for work early, and my car was parked just a few feet away from the dish. I watched as Cat Lady walked across the street and substituted the dish for a new dish containing food. I asked what she was doing, and she said, "Your cat looks so skinny; do you feed him?" Um, yeah, I do. Then she asked if all he was eating was dry food(yup) and that she was feeding him quality canned food. I asked her politely to stop feeding him and stated that the food was attracting animals, which neither we or the next door neighbor wanted. We then pretty much started locking our cat in our den so he couldn't escape outside.

It hasn't stopped. My husband threw one dish out, but then we decided to go over and ask again that she STOP FEEDING OUR CAT. She replied the same thing, and then asked again that our cat stop coming over and sleeping in the cat bed she leaves for strays.

Every day, though, she continues to come feed our cat--even though he hasn't been able to get outside in a while, so the food was just rotting and being eaten by other animals. Finally, my husband started picking it up and taking it back over to her porch on a daily basis.

And then today.

There is a knock on my door. A policeman is standing there when I open it. He explains that I have had a complaint filed against me by the Cat Lady.

She wanted me and my husband arrested for stealing HER CAT, HER CAT FOOD, AND HER DISHES. I was able to show the officer the cat in question along with vet records in my name. Also, she asked that we stop trying to INTERFERE WITH HER FEEDING HER CAT.

Fortunately, our cat is being rehomed tomorrow to a family with a lot of acreage. I just hope she doesn't try to start feeding my toddler now...

Edited by MedicMom

We are fairly certain that she has let our Golden Retriever off the dog run a few times as well, and then called animal control to come get him. Fortunately a big privacy fence is going up this summer, complete with locks on the gates.

Even the police told me she's nuts.

I thought of that, but she has lived in this town for 30 years and the police say she has a long history of bizarre behavior when it comes to animals and has accused others of stealing her pets before---animals that she wanted but that were not hers. But they said she has no actual mental illness that is diagnosed, just that she is strange.

Mostly we just stay away.

Edited by MedicMom

Something seriously isn't right there. Do you think she really doesn't remember what she was doing and why? Like Alzheimers?

This was the case with the elderly neighbor lady who called the police one night several years ago to report that my DH was yelling and swinging from her ceiling fan (which is rather comical considering what a large man he is). We were awakened after midnight by a nice policeman who said he was sorry to bother us but had to follow through on the report. He asked DH a few questions and said she had said some other strange things about another neighbor. They ended up taking the woman for a psych evaluation, and she went to live with a family member after that. I felt bad for her, but it was rather alarming!

Edited by WordGirl

You know, it's a good thing I come here. I would have absolutely NO IDEA of what a smorgasbord of crazy people there really are out there. Either I just don't meet them or they manage to hide it.:001_huh:

I do have to say that I'm sure it's more fun to read about than to experience, though!

Did she perhaps invite you to dinner or does she push her cats in a stroller? We've had other hive complaints of the sort and I'm sensing a trend. This could be the true beginning of the zombie apocolypse, be careful out there people.

You know, it's a good thing I come here. I would have absolutely NO IDEA of what a smorgasbord of crazy people there really are out there. Either I just don't meet them or they manage to hide it.:001_huh:

I do have to say that I'm sure it's more fun to read about than to experience, though!

IKR! All I've got is this:

I was standing in my garage talking on the phone and watched the lady across the street come out of her garage, get in her car, drive 2 houses down, go inside and get a hamper full of clothes and come back to her house. So now I'm intrigued! Why is she doing the neighbor's laundry?

I was standing in my garage talking on the phone and watched the lady across the street come out of her garage, get in her car, drive 2 houses down, go inside and get a hamper full of clothes and come back to her house. So now I'm intrigued! Why is she doing the neighbor's laundry?

Ooh . . . are you sure she's not STEALING the neighbor's laundry??:tongue_smilie:

Ooh . . . are you sure she's not STEALING the neighbor's laundry??:tongue_smilie:

And to add to the mystery the house she came out of (across the street from me) seems like no one really lives there....like they show up once a week to check on the place or something. Very strange!

And to add to the mystery the house she came out of (across the street from me) seems like no one really lives there....like they show up once a week to check on the place or something. Very strange!

Maybe it's a laundry laundering operation! :tongue_smilie:

This is why binoculars, a cold beer, and a nice rocking chair on a porch comes handy for those of us who have nutty neighbors. ;)

Since my dh is working out of town, I spend a fair amount of time in the garage (drinking wine not beer ;)) talking to him on the phone. I've been noticing some weird things!

This is why binoculars, a cold beer, and a nice rocking chair on a porch comes handy for those of us who have nutty neighbors. ;)

Don't forget the notebook so you don't leave anything out when you tell us all about it!

To the OP, is she coming onto your property to do this?

This made me think of my neighbor! He has binoculars to see the people down below us, an upside down bucket to sit on in his yard, and a stick to bang on things to let us know he is watching us.

Don't forget the notebook so you don't leave anything out when you tell us all about it!

My neighbor has a notebook that he writes down things in while watching us.

Two years ago he was really bad at calling the police on us. He called because leaves were blowing off the trees (that are planted on the property line) into his yard. He said DH was putting them there.

He would draw a line in the snow on the sidewalk and write Do Not Cross so DH wouldn't shovel any of his snow off.

He would stand on the property line and watch in our windows.

He settled down some after having DH arrested for waving at him. We had to pay $200 fine for that.

Now he just watches from his window all day long and comes outside when we do. If we go to town he watches for us to come home and runs outside as soon as we pull up.

To the OP: So sorry you have to deal with crazies too!

This made me think of my neighbor! He has binoculars to see the people down below us, an upside down bucket to sit on in his yard, and a stick to bang on things to let us know he is watching us.

Two years ago he was really bad at calling the police on us. He called because leaves were blowing off the trees (that are planted on the property line) into his yard. He said DH was putting them there.

He would draw a line in the snow on the sidewalk and write Do Not Cross so DH wouldn't shovel any of his snow off.

He settled down some after having DH arrested for waving at him. We had to pay $200 fine for that.

Now he just watches from his window all day long and comes outside when we do. If we go to town he watches for us to come home and runs outside as soon as we pull up.

NO WAY! What was the infraction? I would have fought that so hard.

The cat is going to his new home this afternoon, where he will be much happier and able to roam. We are trying to come up with a creative note to leave for Crazy Cat Lady on the food dish, letting her know that our cat has moved on....

Did she perhaps invite you to dinner or does she push her cats in a stroller? We've had other hive complaints of the sort and I'm sensing a trend. This could be the true beginning of the zombie apocolypse, be careful out there people.

I am beginning to wonder the same. And I've begun eyeballing my neighbors for odd behavior... I haven't seen any, but what if I just don't notice because I've been assimilated?? :blink:

What?! Since when is it a crime to wave?

NO WAY! What was the infraction? I would have fought that so hard.

It was harassment. He (the neighbor) perceived the wave as being harassing. That is what the judge said. He (the judge) told us to close our curtains if we didn't want him looking in. Basically, we're supposed to stay in our house with the curtains closed.

I can't wait until we can move. I am going to have to keep track of where all these crazies are so I can avoid them in my next neighborhood. :tongue_smilie:

It was harassment. He (the neighbor) perceived the wave as being harassing. That is what the judge said. He (the judge) told us to close our curtains if we didn't want him looking in. Basically, we're supposed to stay in our house with the curtains closed.

I can't wait until we can move. I am going to have to keep track of where all these crazies are so I can avoid them in my next neighborhood. :tongue_smilie:

Chalk that up to "crazy judge" also!

All of these make me really appreciate my neighbors. :D

I even have a crazy cat lady, but she is awesome. Brings me presents. Takes me to the symphony and plays, brings my cats presents. Watches my house when we're gone. Knows what kind of chocolate I like. Plus her husband gave us a canoe!

All of these make me really appreciate my neighbors. :D

I even have a crazy cat lady, but she is awesome. Brings me presents. Takes me to the symphony and plays, brings my cats presents. Watches my house when we're gone. Knows what kind of chocolate I like. Plus her husband gave us a canoe!

I've had some really good neighbors too. Including a crazy cat lady....she was very nice but eventually we all had to admit she was in need of care....she always thought someone was shining a light in her bedroom window. :(

Then there was the one who would put her face RIGHT up to my living room window (hands to the sides of her face) to see if I was 'in there'. :eek:

Barking dog neighbor has been the only neighbor that made me want to move.

Maybe you missed the first half of the transaction and she is, ahem, "borrowing" the neighbors washer and dryer to do her own laundry?

It is depressing to come here - my life and neighborhood are soooo boring. I am starting to look for weirdness. I got nuthin'. Unless the weirdness is me...:001_huh::lol:

I will definitely not let one our residents know this. He complains about everyone in our RV park. The other day he was telling me how his neighbors came out, WAVED to him and said, "HI!" OH the humanity!!! He's a nutty one. If you wave, you are a jerk and if you don't wave, you are also a jerk. If the neighbor moves his truck into the storage area, it is to show off his new gazebo in front of his RV. If he parks the truck by his space, it is to show off his fancy truck. No one can win. I feel a bit sorry for him actually. It would be hell to be that miserable all the time.