Menu

Just read The Read Aloud Handbook. WOW!

MouseBandit

Not as profound as that, but you mentioning the NICU story brought back such warm memories.

Meanwhile, I had stacks of books I had bought for my unborn child, but they were sitting at home and he was stuck in NICU. I was finally allowed to hold him for more than an few minutes at a time and the nurse suggested I start reading to him. I didn't have any of 'his' books with me, so I pulled out the Plants Delight catalog and started reading.

I read that entire catalog to him over the next few weeks! :lol:

I did something similar. I read my son a few baby books and quickly got bored, plus I was having to haul many books back and forth to NICU. I was reading Life of Pi at the time and I just read it out loud to him. Reading at night to the kids is an important ritual in our house and I hate when I miss it.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does he feel it has to be mom or dad? I read aloud to the 7 yr old every day, but off and on with the 9 year old and almost never with the oldest these days. BUT we listen to audio books in the car nearly every day. We've finished 4 Little House books in 3 months this way plus other assorted stuff. We probably average over half an hour a day of audio books. Brownie

Trelease only has the nicest things to say about audiobooks! He thinks they are fantastic, and he also recommends turning on the closed captioning on your TV--the kids get to see words as well as hear them. (And I find that I understand so much more of the dialogue this way!)

On a very vaguely related note, I once read a book called In Silence, about a hearing girl who grew up with two profoundly deaf parents. When she went to school, she was initially classified as retarded because her garbled speech was unintelligible to others. Once it was worked out that she was of normal (or likely superior) intelligence, an understanding and clever kindergarten teacher ordered her parents to get her a radio so she could listen, at length, to "proper" English being spoken.

Somehow the audiobooks advice and the radio advice are connected for me, because I think the point is do whatever you can to get as many words as possible poured into your child's ears and brain!

He also recommends, "Encourage relatives living far away to record stories on audio cassettes that can be mailed to the child." Ha! Obviously, this would be replaced by Skype or Facetime or at least a digital download in today's world, but the point stands.

Edited by kubiac

I checked out the book at the library today. I haven't read much, yet. I browsed through the book at the library and caught the chapter on TV in the house. I am proud to say that the TV hasn't been on ALL.DAY! and every time the girls asked to watch it I said "No, read a book." DD-8 read all 3 books she checked out at the library aloud to little DD and me (don't know if they were bad or good according to the handbook...but hey...she was reading) and she read the 2 that little DD picked out. She even read one of them to us while DD-3 and I were in the bath (she has a cold).

OK, off to read more of the book.

I love this book as well. One section that changed how I think was his discussion of comic books. I have always had a dim view of them, but now I will actually take DS5 to buy them. And I read them to him sometimes if he asks. I never thought I'd do such a thing.

I love this book as well. One section that changed how I think was his discussion of comic books. I have always had a dim view of them, but now I will actually take DS5 to buy them. And I read them to him sometimes if he asks. I never thought I'd do such a thing.

On that note free comic book day is coming up. Most comic book stores give away free comics on may the 1st.

One section that changed how I think was his discussion of comic books. I have always had a dim view of them, but now I will actually take DS5 to buy them.
Same here.

DS loves Garfield, while I have always hated that cartoon strip. Now I am learning the wisdom of Garfield. DS is forever spouting off something educational that he has learned from the books - either a new vocabulary word or a connection, such as a joke about Julius Caesar.

Reading at night to the kids is an important ritual in our house and I hate when I miss it.
Same here. We have one of the longest bedtime routines on the planet.

I read to DS. Then DH reads to DS. Then DS reads to DH. Then DS reads by himself for 10-15 minutes.

The importance of reading aloud to your children - from birth all the way through teenage years. The statistics and stories that he presents are SO POWERFUL. The changes it can make, that it DOES make, just blew my mind, and I am a big time advocate already of reading to kids. Stories like a little girl who had to stay in the NICU because of problems, and her parents decided to give her a "diet" of 10 books a day - even when they had to get the NICU nurses to play audio tapes to make it happen. They continued that every single day, as she grew up, and now she is doing awesome as a freshman, in honors classes, 4.0. Oh, and she has severe downs' syndrome, they were told she were would be blind and deaf, and should consider institutionalizing her. Just INCREDIBLE. THere is story, after story, after story like that.

And even the statistics are moving and powerful. There's just no un-hearing them, once you see them and make that connection that YES - it MUST have been the reading at home that tipped the scales, maybe that made ALL the difference.

Once all this hits you and sinks in, there's not going to be any way to get it back out of your head. Even if you don't run out and start reading 20 books every day to your kids, it will still be there in your mind, you will still be thinking about it, and I am willing to bet that parents who have read this book, and digested it, will read a LOT more to their children than parents who haven't - just because it impacted them and convicted them and it will be brought to their mind more often.

Anyway, for me, this is one of the most important books I've possibly ever read. :-)

Tracey in Oregon

:iagree: I couldn't have said it better. I think it's a wonderful gift for new parents. I'm guessing the majority of parents (especially ones that don't homeschool) assume that they only need to read-aloud until the child is reading well on their own. I read this when my oldest was in about 3rd grade. He was an excellent reader, but I wasn't sure if I was supposed to still be reading aloud to him at that point or not. I remember being at a girls' luncheon with about 10 other moms and asking them. They all agreed that it wasn't necessary now that he was a great reader...and two of them were teachers. Well, just about a week after that I read that book. SO THANKFUL to have read it. I'm afraid I would have taken my friends' advice otherwise and quit reading to my son at age 9. He's 12 now and I don't ever plan to quit reading to him.

This book was one of the most powerful, moving and influential books (for me as a parent) I've ever read. LOVED it.

Another great one is "The Reading Promise" by Alice Ozma. She tells the story of how her single dad (school librarian) made a promise to her to read 1000 nights in a row or something crazy. It began when she was in 4th grade. Once they hit 1000, they didn't stop. He read to her every single night of her life until the day she left for college. She'd even run home at midnight when she was in high school (while her friends hung out downstairs waiting!) while her dad read to her for 15 minutes. It is the coolest book. You'll love her sweet father to pieces by the end. She mentions Jim Trelease in it. I think she wrote this book right after she finished college. Not surprising that she majored in writing and published a book right away!

No problem! You can see them here.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30152596/

I think they also come in white, and maybe in a natural wood shade.

Our space is weird, so we didn't have room to use a whole picture ledge. We bought some Ikea spice racks to use instead. This is not our blog, but these are the spice racks we used: http://www.wonderfuljoyahead.com/2011/08/and-what-got-painted-were-drumroll.html

Thank you for the links. I am in Canada so I had already searched in the Canadian site, after your post, and had found it already. I liked it and then you show me the spice racks :lol:. I really really like those now! They have the piece of wood which will hold the books from falling, a bit better. We don't have much space either (most walls are taken up by bookcases) but I have a wall I should be able to put some of the spice racks on, for my little guy. Thanks again :)!

Do you think it's critical to get the newest edition of Trelease's book? If I found a used much older copy would it be just as good? I have seen them at Half Price Books and probably Goodwill but didn't grab one at the time.

He does update the book lists. I had read the 5th from my library before buying the 6th (that's the latest one). What you could do, if your library carries the new edition, is to borrow it and compare the lists :).

He does update the book lists. I had read the 5th from my library before buying the 6th (that's the latest one). What you could do, if your library carries the new edition, is to borrow it and compare the lists :).
He also updates the stories of the people featured in the book.

He also updates the stories of the people featured in the book.

:iagree: but the main reason I bought the most recent edition was for the updated book lists ;).

If you like the idea of outward-facing shelves, but not so much the idea of rain gutters, Ikea sells "picture rails" in their frame department. They're designed to stand framed pictures on, but they work perfectly as gutter shelves! They're not too expensive, either.

We have and loooooove these! I started this thread a long time ago and people had some very creative ideas, including using them to make a sort of timeline out of books.

Does he feel it has to be mom or dad?

He spends a decent amount of time discussing the benefits of children, especially boys, seeing their father read and having dad read aloud. The idea is that mom and dad should both serve as examples. Kids are less likely to become readers if their parents aren't readers. Boys are less likely to become readers if their fathers aren't readers. If I die while the kids are still at home, DH has been instructed to put the last stanza of The Reading Mother on my headstone and make The Read-Aloud Handbook his parenting bible. He always wished he enjoyed reading more and has seen the benefits in our kids, so luckily he reads to them every night. We usually divide up the kids at night for reading. DH's ability to read "fact books" without collapsing is something I do not have (and my boys love them!), so I am grateful that he does read.

Do you think it's critical to get the newest edition of Trelease's book? If I found a used much older copy would it be just as good? I have seen them at Half Price Books and probably Goodwill but didn't grab one at the time.

The thing with Trelease that makes his suggestions so valuable to me is that he specifically avoids making a long list of the typical classics. To be sure, some classics are on the list but he includes lots of lesser known books as well as more contemporary selections. I love this because lists of classics are readily available but I need more info about newer books. Because his list isn't typical, I think getting your hands on all of the editions would be helpful. Personally, I am waiting for a 7th edition (and getting pretty impatient about it)! :tongue_smilie:

Don't stone me, but I actually have mixed feelings about this book. To be sure, I believe in the basic idea of reading aloud to our kids, and the idea of reading aloud to them even as they get older is a great one that wouldn't have occurred to me. Also, the book lists alone (which make up about half the book) make it worth the money.

BUT my big problem is with his stories and the outrageous correlational claims he makes throughout the entire book. It just doesn't represent good research, reasoning, or writing. For example, "In the nearly ten years since the arrival of the [Harry] Potter books, school crime was down, teen pregnancies declined, and teen smoking and drug use dropped." Okay. Well, what other random social statistics changed during those same ten years? I'm sure there were negative changes. Are those tied to Harry Potter mania, too? I doubt it. But Trelease is totally implying that the reading obsession that consumes kids during their Harry Potter years is linked to a drop in teen pregnancies? What??? That needs a VERY significant amount of research to draw any kind of usable correlation. And that is typical of a lot of his correlational claims throughout the book. Honestly, the NICU story has the same problem. Obviously it's wonderful that parents read to and interact with their preemies in the NICU (I've been there myself), but to claim that that is the reason a girl does well in school and goes to college? Pretty big stretch.

Anyway, I think it's a fine book and it's great for inspiration. I just have a hard time reading so much poor reasoning like that.

FANTASTIC book lists, though.

Do you know he has a website?

http://www.trelease-on-reading.com/

I posted this poem in our blog (quoted in his book) when I read The Read Aloud handbook a few years ago:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strickland_Gillilan

:lol:I love this poem... I stuck it in my Springpad app for encouragement when the days get long and my voice goes hoarse:-)

:lol:I love this poem... I stuck it in my Springpad app for encouragement when the days get long and my voice goes hoarse:-)

I go back to it whenever I need some encouragement also. It was why I immediately added it to our blog ;).

BUT my big problem is with his stories and the outrageous correlational claims he makes throughout the entire book. It just doesn't represent good research, reasoning, or writing. For example, "In the nearly ten years since the arrival of the [Harry] Potter books, school crime was down, teen pregnancies declined, and teen smoking and drug use dropped." Okay. Well, what other random social statistics changed during those same ten years?
But this in a section discussing the assertion that reading HP is dangerous to children's souls. Trelease is absolutely not making the claim that HP was responsible for the statistics cited. The paragraph in question ends:

If, indeed, there were all those satanic connections to the Potter books, where is the evidence of the devil's work on upon tens of millions of children's souls in the last decade?

ETA: A substantial portion of Trelease's website it devoted to censorship issues.

http://www.trelease-on-reading.com/censor_entry.html

Edited by nmoira

Don't stone me, but I actually have mixed feelings about this book. To be sure, I believe in the basic idea of reading aloud to our kids, and the idea of reading aloud to them even as they get older is a great one that wouldn't have occurred to me. Also, the book lists alone (which make up about half the book) make it worth the money.

BUT my big problem is with his stories and the outrageous correlational claims he makes throughout the entire book. It just doesn't represent good research, reasoning, or writing. For example, "In the nearly ten years since the arrival of the [Harry] Potter books, school crime was down, teen pregnancies declined, and teen smoking and drug use dropped." Okay. Well, what other random social statistics changed during those same ten years? I'm sure there were negative changes. Are those tied to Harry Potter mania, too? I doubt it. But Trelease is totally implying that the reading obsession that consumes kids during their Harry Potter years is linked to a drop in teen pregnancies? What??? That needs a VERY significant amount of research to draw any kind of usable correlation. And that is typical of a lot of his correlational claims throughout the book. Honestly, the NICU story has the same problem. Obviously it's wonderful that parents read to and interact with their preemies in the NICU (I've been there myself), but to claim that that is the reason a girl does well in school and goes to college? Pretty big stretch.

Anyway, I think it's a fine book and it's great for inspiration. I just have a hard time reading so much poor reasoning like that.

FANTASTIC book lists, though.

It is a good idea to quote things in context, for others to understand the other side of the story also. This is a story (one story) that was shared with Mr. Trelease by the parents via a letter. He uses it in every edition in order to encourage/ inspire parents to read to their kids. Personally, I would not allow anyone to limit my child or try to tell me what my child can or cannot do given the opportunity, and with caring and supportive parents by his/ her side. The human brain is a very powerful tool, as most parents on the special needs board here would tell you.

Correcting my previous post to say that the story that is quoted in all the editions is the Cushla Yeoman story. The NICU story is the story of Jennifer Thomas of Memphis Tennessee. Jim Trelease makes sure all the facts are stated and here's the story for those interested, that do not have the book, to read. Jennifer is pictured with Mr. Trelease here, also.

http://www.trelease-on-reading.com/rah-ch2.html

Now, after reading this thread, I had to get up out of my chair and go get The Read-Aloud Handbook off my bookshelf and put it on my nightstand. I need some new enthusiasm, even though I have read aloud, in addition to "school" read-alouds, almost every night during our bedtime routine to my kiddos since my first was a newborn.

I bought The Read-Aloud Handbook last year and haven't even looked at it. I am now anxiously awaiting bedtime so I can start reading. :001_smile:

This thread made me go straight to Amazon and get Honey for a Child's Heart and The Read Aloud Handbook! :001_smile: I also took the time to start reading Charlotte's Web to my kids this evening. Lately, I hadn't been doing much reading aloud, but this really got me thinking. I also discovered that we have a bunch of great books from when my husband and I were kids. They had been sitting on a book shelf tucked away where I never see them. So, thank you for starting this thread!!! :)

Personally, I am waiting for a 7th edition (and getting pretty impatient about it)! :tongue_smilie:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I emailed Mr. Trelease's website once with a question about a reference, and he emailed back personally (!) and in the course of the conversation he told me, "Sorry but there will be no 7th edition or revision of the 6th. Retirement is stepping out of the limelight and allowing younger minds with new ideas to step in."

Sadness, I know, but we were lucky to get him for as long as we did!

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I emailed Mr. Trelease's website once with a question about a reference, and he emailed back personally (!) and in the course of the conversation he told me, "Sorry but there will be no 7th edition or revision of the 6th. Retirement is stepping out of the limelight and allowing younger minds with new ideas to step in."

This is sad news :(!

Sadness, I know, but we were lucky to get him for as long as we did!

:iagree:and I wish him all the best. He has inspired a lot of people and his book will become timeless, I feel :).

• 2 weeks later...
So....the book is about more than just reading to your children and the importance of doing so, right?

I haven't read it, but from reading this thread, I understand that the book is about reading quality material to your children? And he has recommended book lists?

Reading out loud has been a struggle...just finding the time to do so. I try to read a story before they go to bed...but honestly, by that time of the night, I'm ready for them to just go to bed, kwim?

I know EXACTLY what you mean! My children are '05, '06, '07, '08. I felt like a bad parent for a long time because I could not get "enough" read-aloud time in our day. This past year things have been SO much better. I have the energy to read a few chapter at night! One year has made a tremendous difference in the amount of read-alouds we can do. My children are about one year older than yours so I just wanted you to know that it does get easier with time. :-)

I know EXACTLY what you mean! My children are '05, '06, '07, '08. I felt like a bad parent for a long time because I could not get "enough" read-aloud time in our day. This past year things have been SO much better. I have the energy to read a few chapter at night! One year has made a tremendous difference in the amount of read-alouds we can do. My children are about one year older than yours so I just wanted you to know that it does get easier with time. :-)

Tnak-you kindly, for sharing! LOL, you know exactly what I'm going through. It's hard to be a "good mommy" when they are this young and this close in age. Mommy guilt is my frequent evening companion.

I started reading an earlier edition from the library and it was very outdated (talking about people starting to get VCRs in their houses:)). I quickly quit reading that edition and downloaded the new edition to my iPad. I read it all in 2 days and have since read at least once a day if not more to my girls. They ask for it now and it has only been a week. Our TV has also been very lonely which I am grateful for. Only yesterday, little DD asked to watch PBS kids and I just simply said no. I told her to go play with her toys and she didn't argue. My sister doesn't homeschool but I told her about the book and she is going to read it. She has 5 kids 17, 14, 12, 6, and 1.

I read it a few months ago and it really encouraged me to read more and often. Now LO will asked to be read to when he is bored. Also, DH is getting better about reading to him on a daily basis. I always wanted to decrease our TV time. Since reading Trelease's book and working on reading more, our TV time has decreased tremendously without me evening thinking about it or having to say "No TV," even to DH. :lol:

• 3 months later...
I bought the book and then spent an entire summer combining all of his read aloud lists by grade. Now I have read aloud books planned out from preschool through 8th grade. It took forever, but it is sooooo worth it! :001_smile:

OOOOOH will you share your list? I know you worked hard, could you share with us?

:001_smile:

thought I would "bump" this thread up to continue the convo... :001_smile:

I've read DP.. LOVED it... but my 6 yo old son is not ready to discuss protagonists, antagonists, etc... and frankly neither am I... I can SOOO relate to the previous poster who didn't realize the layers within Charlottes Web!! LOL!!

And yet, I yearn to start discussing our read alouds a bit more.... so far this isn't happening very organically (some nights we just read a selection from our read aloud and the only thing we can think to say is "oh that was great!" LOL!!!!) ....or maybe I'm really lousy at asking good questions.... or even knowing what a good question would be.

Tips, resource suggestions, ideas are all welcome!!

Argh! This was NOT the thread I should have opened. I'm supposed to be getting rid of books and now I just want more bookshelves. :)

I wanted to comment on the 20 minutes: One thought is "20 minutes" is mentally doable in American culture. I know I have a different reaction when a child comes and ask to play a game -- a "20 minute" game is doable, but 30 minutes?? I don't have half an hour! Actually, I do...but mentally? :)

The other is recently I attended a class on teaching for the non-teacher (it was for the Society for Creative Anachronism, for sharing your Middle Ages skills & passions) and the teacher was talking about transitioning after 20 minutes. Not lecturing straight for 60 minutes but making a change after each 20 minutes -- passing a handout, inviting someone up to demonstrate, etc. The human brain starts to lose focus after 20 minutes and making a change, even a small one, can keep it engaged. Made me think of Charlotte Mason. :)

Okay, back to the ruthless book purge. :( At least I still have the library!!!

thought I would "bump" this thread up to continue the convo... :001_smile:

I've read DP.. LOVED it... but my 6 yo old son is not ready to discuss protagonists, antagonists, etc... and frankly neither am I... I can SOOO relate to the previous poster who didn't realize the layers within Charlottes Web!! LOL!!

And yet, I yearn to start discussing our read alouds a bit more.... so far this isn't happening very organically (some nights we just read a selection from our read aloud and the only thing we can think to say is "oh that was great!" LOL!!!!) ....or maybe I'm really lousy at asking good questions.... or even knowing what a good question would be.

Tips, resource suggestions, ideas are all welcome!!

I highly recommend Ready Readers from Center for Lit! :)

I highly recommend Ready Readers from Center for Lit! :)

Many thanks!!

ANd I JUST realized that I posted in the wrong thread... I had 3 different WTM threads open in 3 different windows and posted it in this one by mistake... Ooops.... obviously my post will seem completely out of context within this thread!

But thank you for answering me nevertheless!

I love the book as well. It confirmed what most people already know about the importance of reading aloud to your kids, but I think many people will like the book suggestions as well. I know I recommend it to my non-homeschool friends because they aren't necessarily scouring the internet for good/great reading suggestions like a lot of homeschoolers do. :001_smile:

Brenda

benefits I've seen:

family togetherness

shared stories/experiences

vocabulary

discussions about life

great way to discuss character issues, tough issues, etc...

quality language for our kids ears!

stretches the imagination

quality characters and traits to emulate--and mistakes to sympathize with and avoid when possible

laugh and cry together (mostly only I cry, but they like that I'm such a sap!).

develop a love for books

Our kids hear so many voices in their lives, so many calls on their time, desires, appetites in this world...let them hear the beckoning voice to virtue, strength, purity, heroism, love, manhood, womanhood, adventure, and all that is good--in the tones of their loving father and mother.

If I did nothing else in homeschooling my kids, I would read aloud to them. I have powerful memories of my mother reading to me... and these are treasured memories. I consider it one of the greatest gifts of homeschooling that we have been able to read aloud for so long.

Beautifully said, Merry! And I TOTALLY agree! Our DSs are 18yo and 20yo and still we read aloud (though, it is much harder to find the time now). They already often refer to those wonderful read-alouds and time together with great fondness. :) Never stop reading aloud with your family! :) Warmest regards, Lori D.

Thank you so much for posting this thread. I went out and picked it from the library the other day and finsihed reading it today. This book helped me tremendously. I agree 100% with what he is saying and it's good to know there is a evidence to support it. It also helped me to focus on my goals for our first year of hs'ing.

OOOOOH will you share your list? I know you worked hard, could you share with us?

:001_smile:

I am slowly putting the reading lists up on my blog (linked in my sig) under the reading list tab. Right now I have Pre-K, Kindergarten, First Grade, and Second Grade up.

I just downloaded it to start reading tonight.

Honestly, I'm dreading it. I love reading but hate reading aloud.

I've done it. My kids love it. They beg to go to bed early to listen to audio books. But I hate it. I truly hate it.

And my dislike is on a physical level. I hate talking that long at once. I keep trying to experiment and figure out what I'm doing wrong that makes it hurt to read aloud for 15-20 minutes.

Now I'm going to feel even more need to read aloud to them. I know it will be good to have the motivation but I'm already dreading it.

I've done it. My kids love it. They beg to go to bed early to listen to audio books. But I hate it. I truly hate it.

And my dislike is on a physical level. I hate talking that long at once. I keep trying to experiment and figure out what I'm doing wrong that makes it hurt to read aloud for 15-20 minutes.

Now I'm going to feel even more need to read aloud to them. I know it will be good to have the motivation but I'm already dreading it.

DH feels the same way. I'll be honest and say that over summer I haven't read much to my kids due to my grandmothers illness. I now feel out of practice. In the book it talked about silent reading and starting out small and building. You could do the same thing with read alouds (and this is what dh plans to do). Start at 10 minutes and build your endurance adding 5 minutes every week. Just a thought.

You hate it because it hurts? You mean your throat? If so, maybe you could work up to it. Read for 5 minutes a day for a week, then 10 for the next week, then 15... I read for long periods, several times a day and I make sure to always have a drink with me or sometimes I do start coughing from a tickly or itching dry throat. Maybe tea with honey if you like it?

There are very few things I can say with certainty that I have done right as a mom. Reading aloud to my kids daily is at the very top of that short list. Even DH has caught the bug and enjoys reading aloud. He's always done it, since our oldest was a baby, but I'm so happy to say that he now truly enjoys it. DH has been issued two imperatives in case I die. He has to cook the kids my recipes and read to them every single day.

family togetherness

shared stories/experiences

vocabulary

discussions about life

great way to discuss character issues, tough issues, etc...

quality language for our kids ears!

stretches the imagination

quality characters and traits to emulate--and mistakes to sympathize with and avoid when possible

laugh and cry together (mostly only I cry, but they like that I'm such a sap!).

develop a love for books

Our kids hear so many voices in their lives, so many calls on their time, desires, appetites in this world...let them hear the beckoning voice to virtue, strength, purity, heroism, love, manhood, womanhood, adventure, and all that is good--in the tones of their loving father and mother.

If I did nothing else in homeschooling my kids, I would read aloud to them. I have powerful memories of my mother reading to me, and of my father reading to me, and these are treasured memories. I consider it one of the greatest gifts of homeschooling that we have been able to read aloud for so long.

Merry :-)

Thank you, Merry. :iagree:

Jim's book was a major encouragement for our family to read our loud to all our kids.

Reading books to one of my children (in particular) has been therapeutic for both of us because sometimes our school time is very challenging. When everything else goes wrong, reading time is still a positive way to end the day.

I think that reading the Little House on Prairie books has made me a better parent....:001_smile: Pa and Ma get so much right. :001_smile: And, in fact, one of the things that the Ingalls did together as a family was to read out loud. :001_smile:

I bought the book and then spent an entire summer combining all of his read aloud lists by grade. Now I have read aloud books planned out from preschool through 8th grade. It took forever, but it is sooooo worth it! :001_smile:

Chelli. Do you mind sharing the list? My dd is 3.5 yr old and I have a 9 month old son. Ty so much for helping