Menu

Dallas area people - are y'all ok?!?

I'm just west of there, but my daughter was headed that way for a class. She has hurt both her legs (previously) so cannot drive. A friend picked her up at her apartment and she must have left her phone. I cannot contact her!

Linda

A very big tornado -- actually two at once in both Fort Worth and Dallas. 18 wheelers were flying through the air. We are still seeing rotation and it keeps dropping down to the ground. It is all happening about 10 minutes northeast of me and I've been glued to the TV watching for about an hour. It seems to be all happening in Dallas now.

Linda

A very big tornado -- actually two at once in both Fort Worth and Dallas. 18 wheelers were flying through the air. We are still seeing rotation and it keeps dropping down to the ground. It is all happening about 10 minutes northeast of me and I've been glued to the TV watching for about an hour. It seems to be all happening in Dallas now.

Linda

I'm east enough that it isn't an issue. However, my hubby is in Garland. We are hoping he stays safe and can get home soon.

ETA: I just watched the video of the Lancaster tornado. Absolutely horrible :tears:

ETA2: New tornado going to head up towards Garland? :(

Edited by 2J5M9K

There's a tornado warning for Denton--I have a friend there.

We live next to Denton and so far only thunder and lightening.

They just mentioned Denton had hail the size of chicken eggs.!

Edited by Ferdie

My mom's best friend lives just a few miles from the airport. She hasn't been able to get ahold of her yet though. It sounds like the video shown on The Weather Channel was from a tornado that hit south Dallas (near the Schneider lot & Flying J truck stop - not that I know where that is).

I also have a great aunt in Arlington. Wow. Seeing those semi trailers fly through the air sure is scary!

We are okay here. We've still got storms though. There's been significant damage from tornadoes in Arlington and Lancaster - Arlington has been declared to be in a state of disaster by the mayor. I believe another tornado just touched down in Addison.

The mayor of Arlington just declared a state of emergency for the city due to widespread damage. A single tornado touched down in multiple places throughout the city. Power outages in many places throughout the city. That same storm is still threatening as is works its way to the NE, now in the northern suburbs of Dallas.

The tornado that was on the ground in Lancaster was moseying slowly on the ground for more than 30 minutes. Amazing video from the chopper in the air, pictures of tractor trailers aloft. !! It wasn't a massive broad tornado, but it later touched down in various places as it worked it's way on a NEward line up through the Dallas half of the metroplex.

I finally talked to her. She stopped by her place on the way from class to a friends place to study. She picked up her phone and some dry clothes. She is/was soaking wet from walking to class in a downpour. She is in two walking boots so is very slow.

Linda

We are fine here, just a few miles north of DFW airport.

It has been dark all day and we have been under thunderstorm watch, but I wasn't aware of any bad storms directly around us. I was totally oblivious to the weather as we were schooling and I was dealing with a frustrating situation with my mother. I called my DH at work in tears (because of my mother) and he didn't even say anything about the storms, though later he said when he answered and I was crying that he thought it was because of the storms. Yet he didn't say anything to me about the storms?! :glare:

I had to get on the computer after that to look up a phone number and decided to surf these forums while waiting for phone call to go through and noticed this post. :001_huh:

I called my DH back and he said, "Yeah. I assumed you knew about the storms." Um. No. Totally clueless. Thanks for telling me.

It is starting to thunder and rain hard here again. :tongue_smilie:

I am right between Dallas and Fort Worth. We got some small hail and heavy rain but nothing like what hit all around us.

I have heard there was damage to at least 2 schools in Forney, not sure if students were still present as it was between 3 and 4, but many districts held students after release time because it wasn't safe to leave. :(

My four year old just got home (4:50). The bus had been diverted to another school. Hubby went to get him and my friend's kids.

We were pretty scared. Guess I was wrong about being too far east.

As for schools in Forney. The kids at Crosby Elem were all moved to another Elem. No students or staff were hurt but there won't be school there tomorrow. The high school was also hit (students were there as they don't let out til 3:55), but I don't have any information yet.

Anyway, we all did fine. THe school staff did great and my anxiety ridden son isn't the slightest bit upset. I had a little more trouble as we were hiding out under a comforter in the bathtub while my son and hubby weren't home.

I also called where my new foster daughter (age 6) is staying in Arlington (an extra day due to the storms) and they also are fine.

Edited by 2J5M9K

Are these storms and tornadoes happening any where near the Cowboys' stadium? I have a friend who lives across the street from the stadium.

I think that area is OK. The tornado damage In Arlington is mostly in the southwest corner, around I20 and Hwy. 287. The stadium is in the northeast part of Arlington, and I have not heard of any serious damage up there.

We just got home and saw this tornado news. Oh my gosh. Dh and I are from Lancaster and he still has a lot of family there. I have dear friends there. I can't get hold of anybody. :crying:

Power and phone lines are out in a lot of areas down here. I contacted most of my friends via cell phone texting or FB updates from their cell phones.

Praying all is well for your family and friends.

My friend tried to get supper in Forney...had to go to Terrell. The news is now reporting extensive damage in Forney :( It is nice to have tv playing normal programs though so we don't focus on it too much. Of course, easy for us to say....

My hubby's car is BAD from the hail. He was on 80 and just got pummeled. My van has just several dings. We looked up how much it might cost online and I'm sooooo glad we have full coverage insurance!

So sad about all the people we're seeing on the news though....lots of damage :(

My friend tried to get supper in Forney...had to go to Terrell. The news is now reporting extensive damage in Forney :( It is nice to have tv playing normal programs though so we don't focus on it too much. Of course, easy for us to say....

My hubby's car is BAD from the hail. He was on 80 and just got pummeled. My van has just several dings. We looked up how much it might cost online and I'm sooooo glad we have full coverage insurance!

So sad about all the people we're seeing on the news though....lots of damage :(

The tornado that went through Arlington lifted up over the Ballpark, and went directly overhead of us, and touched down somewhere north of the DFW airport. Least, that is what the weather man was saying yesterday. They're still trying to tally up the total number of tornadoes.

Anyway, that's why I had to temporarily abandon a lively discussion here yesterday around 1:30 pm or so. ;)

The tornado that went through Arlington lifted up over the Ballpark, and went directly overhead of us, and touched down somewhere north of the DFW airport. Least, that is what the weather man was saying yesterday. They're still trying to tally up the total number of tornadoes.

Anyway, that's why I had to temporarily abandon a lively discussion here yesterday around 1:30 pm or so. ;)

Oh, wow. That's amazingly scary. Glad to hear you are ok.

We are okay. We had "hen egg" (tv weather man description) size hail so I'm glad we were able to get our vehicles safe in the garage. The sirens were going off, the wind and rain were howling and blowing. It was quite scary!!! I had a doc appt yesterday late and actually made it. There were lots of cars with broken windows and windshields, dents. We were very blessed because the tornados went just by us, not on top of us.