Menu

Dumb question

Let me preface my dumb question with the explanation that my kid is almost NEVER sick, and by almost never, I mean that he's had strep twice in his life (once at about 2yo, once at about 6yo) and I can count on one hand the number of colds he's had in his 12.5 years of life.

So... now he's got a stomach virus that has been going around. He got diarrhea and he vomited once last night. He looks green and has a low fever of 37.8°C. He cannot keep any food down, not even broth.

Now for the dumb question: what the heck am I supposed to feed him and give him to drink that will keep him from getting dehydrated (which he is getting there, I can tell), and yet will stay down?

Water in very small sips is best, but my dd can't drink water when she's sick. She says it tastes metallic. I give her popsicles, watery kool-aid/gatorade/lemonade or chicken broth. Small sips is the key. One small sip every 5 minutes to begin with when they are super-pukey. My dd would suck on crushed ice too.

Hugs to your ds. Being sick is no fun. Knock on wood, we've avoided stomach bugs for the last couple years.

I was always told water or 7-up. But not big glasses at a time, because then he'll throw it up. Just take a sip at a time, slowly. If he can drink a glass in an hour, then I think that's good. Or, sometimes ice in the mouth to slowly melt and swallow. Sometimes I'd give my children bland juice, like apple, but dilute it half and half with water.

Good luck!! He is fortunate that he's been so healthy all his life!

Avoid sugary stuff as best you can.

Have him drink sips slowly. Faster it goes down, the faster it's likely to come out.

I try to water down Gatoraid (3:1) to replace electrolytes.

Chicken broth is good....slowly.

Plain is best.

I'm no pro with sick kids either as mine are a lot like yours :) but I've always said to myself "get it in not to stay there, but just so some stays!"

Sip. No more than sip. :)

Thanks, ladies -- you guys are great AND fast! :001_smile:

Small sips it is, then. Dh went to town for some gatorade, and I'll get ds sipping some mild broth and water now to start.

Water in very small sips is best, but my dd can't drink water when she's sick. She says it tastes metallic. I give her popsicles, watery kool-aid/gatorade/lemonade or chicken broth. Small sips is the key. One small sip every 5 minutes to begin with when they are super-pukey. My dd would suck on crushed ice too.

Hugs to your ds. Being sick is no fun. Knock on wood, we've avoided stomach bugs for the last couple years.

This.

Ice chips work best as you can break them up in to the size they need to be, at least in my opinion :).

Small sips, work to bigger sips. :)

:grouphug::grouphug: to your baby and you!

I commiserate with her. I find the exact same thing.

When me or the kids have been that sick, we do ginger ale, tea, and saltines or wheat thins. Sometimes not eating can lead to further feelings of nausea so I encourage the kids to nibble on crackers and sip ginger ale and tea if they keep those down I introduce lightly buttered toast. As they start feeling better we do the BRAT diet for a few days to make sure they really are better.

This.

Ice chips work best as you can break them up in to the size they need to be, at least in my opinion :).

Small sips, work to bigger sips. :)

:grouphug::grouphug: to your baby and you!

I agree to start with ice chips and very small sips. With a really nasty bugs, even that may start a wave of dry heaves, so starting small is better. I feel so bad for them when they just can't keep *anything* down.

You are wise to watch for dehydration. If a kid is little, it can happen fast. Hope all is soon well!!!! Stomach bugs are truly the pits...

I commiserate with her. I find the exact same thing.

When me or the kids have been that sick, we do ginger ale, tea, and saltines or wheat thins. Sometimes not eating can lead to further feelings of nausea so I encourage the kids to nibble on crackers and sip ginger ale and tea if they keep those down I introduce lightly buttered toast. As they start feeling better we do the BRAT diet for a few days to make sure they really are better.

I've got some crackers. I'll try that if he can keep down fluids. What is a BRAT diet?

We just went through a similar virus. It was bad.

Our pedi said - for the baby - 2 tbsp of liquid every 15 - 20 minutes. I used a syringe with pedialyte to get it into her. That was for oral rehydration.

For our big kid (8 yrs old)... we did much like the others suggested. Small sips frequently. Pedialyte, flat Coke (recommended by the pedi, I thought it was odd, but ok, we tried it)... Not just water, as the sugar was important.

As he goes to regular food... BRAT diet... Bananas, rice, applesauce, toast. We like saltine crackers here, too.

Hope he feels better soon!

ETA: Emetrol is an OTC anti-nausea med, if it's really bad, and he can't keep anything down... that might be an option. It did not help here, but might be worth a shot.

Pedialyte, in his favorite flavor. I think there are flavor pouches or popcycles too?? (My kids are grown). Dd18 still drinks the fruit flavored one if she gets dehydrated.

The pedialyte popsicles are always in my fridge. They stain! So be careful. Once he has emptied his stomach and is just gagging, wait about 30 minutes. Give him a popsicle to suck on. The popsicle ensures the liquid goes down slowly. He will likely puke it up again, but keep offering the popsicles. Sucking on them slowly will ensure he absorbes some of the hydration before it comes rushing back up.