Menu

bOOkshelf shopping for newly developing child stinks

Why in the world does a child need an underwire? My dd is in an awkward phase where she needs a 34 for her ribcage but is only a AA. These are nearly impossible to find as is and the few I do find have underwire. Those are uncomfortable under her leotards at gym. We looked all over the place. We finally found a sports bookshelf she could fit that had real coverage, but man this is an annoying phase.

I just went through this, and found the same thing: super padded, h00ker-y, sleazy... and I'm not even that concerned with what sort of undergarments my kids like (as in, my standards of decency are much lower than many here).

Justice. They have very cute, pull-on and hook type b00kshelves for the new b00k collectors. ;) (ETA: the ones with removable pads are more like removable liners, in case the b00kshelf needs a little additional help with pokey b00k spines, not for enhancement.)

Edited by MyCrazyHouse

Did anyone start out with just camis? This is new for me....

This is where my 9yo is right now. She'll wear a cami or tank under a t-shirt if there's anything "poky" or visible, and I've told her to tell me if it feels like she needs more support so we can go shopping then.

We started with camis, as well.

I don't know what went wrong with Target's buyers this year, but there is clearly some disconnect.

They are selling shoes (we needed new dress shoes for my dd's piano recital) that literally LITERALLY I had only previously seen at very risque stores. The little girl bOOkshelves, as you guys say, were set to match. It's INSANE.

I am very , heart-on-my-sleeve, do-what-you-want liberal and even I am appalled.

My DD needs more than a cami at this point. She likes something with a small bit of padding to smooth out her glorified mosquito bites. I will say that she does like the Justice ones, but when we bought them last time they were full price, and I hate paying full price.

Yes, I know exactly what you're talking about. My youngest dd couldn't fit into junior sizes because of her band size. Bra makers assume that women with a large band size and small bOOks must be in need of a huge pushup style. We finally settled on this one at Kohls: Barely There CustomFlex. It doesn't have cups so it's more like a sports bra, but it has a clasp in the back. It's not a pullover. That sort of satisfies my dd right now. She was tired of the pullover kind. This style makes her feel a little more grownup.

Did anyone start out with just camis? This is new for me....

My dd wore a lot of cam is with built-in support (I think we got most from Limited Too, now called Justice) early on, but that would not have been an option for gymnastics.

That said, dancers and gymnasts usually use undergarments just for their sport, not regular bras, even when very endowed. There are cami-style nude colored under-wear leotards for dancers, or gymnastics leos with built-in shelving units. Kinda like they have briefs just for leos and you wouldn't wear regular undies with leos! Especially at AA, this seems like best option for your dd. Check out Discount Dance dot com for some ideas.

Sports 'bookshelves' at Target. And for some reason you have to get a larger size because they are small. Really small.

Definitely. This is the only bra my dd will wear, but she insists on a size that I thought was huge - turns out it was what fit her. Mind you, she doesn't like tight things. Her only complaint is that you can see the straps when she wears some t-shirts because of the racer-back style.

Look in the sporting goods section. Those jogging bras that look like a cut off tank top are my dd's favorite. Just a layer to smooth things out, kwim? Fun colors but no underwires or junior h@@ker styles.

Best wishes to you - I'd rather teach an Algebra II lesson than go bra or swimsuit shopping for myself or dds.

in case the b00kshelf needs a little additional help with pokey b00k spines, not for enhancement.)

This is an issue! Even before DD needed any support, she needed some coverage for the pokies. We actually got some of these for awhile... and they worked great. But now she needs a bit more and it is miserable shopping. Also why is everything in the store multicolored polkadots that show through everything?

Hijack from an ignorant mommy: At what age did your daughters start wearing camis? At what age was is socially important to have a bookshelf, regardless of development? (I remember from my own late-grade-school years that this was an important issue, but it has completely fallen off the radar with my own daughter!)

This is an issue! Even before DD needed any support, she needed some coverage for the pokies. We actually got some of these for awhile... and they worked great. But now she needs a bit more and it is miserable shopping. Also why is everything in the store multicolored polkadots that show through everything?

No kidding! We ended up with white and beige. The patterns are awfully cute, until they're showing through your top. :glare:

tristangrace: mine started wearing camis around 10, and we went b00kshelf shopping for her 11th birthday. I would think, socially speaking, it's important when it starts being important to her. Neither of my daughters seemed to be particularly concerned about it, but it was time, iykwim. If either had been concerned, I would have taken them shopping before the need arose. I can't imagine it's so happy to have all your friends have them and not have them yourself, if you're attuned to that sort of thing.

As they get bigger and still don't like underwire and padding, it will be even harder to find shelves for them. I don't like padding and am allergic to the underwire, finding shelves that are not for nursing or training (look at walmart they had some nice ones) is a big pain. Usually I just give up and get sports ones even though that is not what I was really wanting.

My DD needs more than a cami at this point. She likes something with a small bit of padding to smooth out her glorified mosquito bites. I will say that she does like the Justice ones, but when we bought them last time they were full price, and I hate paying full price.

Justice gives out 40% off coupons like water. Are you on their mailing list? I wouldn't pay full price either.

And not looking forward to this... :001_huh:

It hasn't gotten any easier for my crew. I have one that is a 32C, one that is a 32D and one of them was previously a 32 DDD (I think her band size has gotten slightly larger but she still has a hard time finding good bras. Anyhow, the selection in those sizes are very limited and definitely skewed towards the racy end of things. I always insist that they get a basic beige that will go under anything and this is always the hardest item to find.

Walmart has actually been on saving grace in this department. They have in their girls section fruit of the loom sports bras, they are all cotton, sized 32 AA and up. No underwire, simple, modest cuts and works great for 11 year old. They look like a cami that has been cropped and a band sewn in.

Justice. They have very cute, pull-on and hook type b00kshelves for the new b00k collectors. ;) (ETA: the ones with removable pads are more like removable liners, in case the b00kshelf needs a little additional help with pokey b00k spines, not for enhancement.)

:iagree: This was where we got some for my DD. She prefers the hook style to the pull-on. The pull-on doesn't really support.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Seamless-Bralet-2-Pack/19715152

Just took DD shopping yesterday and found these at Walmart. DD spent the rest of the afternoon going on about how this is the first and only comfortable bra she ever had. No underwire, no clasp in the back. Super soft and comfy. They don't come in different cup sizes though, its probably good only for an A.

At first she didn't even want to try it on because she thought she wouldn't like the kind you have to pull over your head. Now she wants me to go back and buy more! Cheap too...

ETA has a removable pad to conceal pokies:-)

Edited by coloradoperkins

This is the comfiest bra in the world, and it can be worn 3 different ways to hide under various clothing shapes. It's pricey for what it is, but it holds up really well to repeated washings and keeps its form. It's also so stretchy that it will grow with her for a while.

http://www.herroom.com/lz-51253-touch-convertible-soft-cup-bra.shtml

Also seconding the shelf cami suggestion. If she's relatively flat, that can be a great option.