Menu

Classic books that you feel inspire truth,beauty,wisdom or"what's in yr amazon cart?"

Halcyon

As soon as you mentioned truth, beauty and wisdom, I thought of Girl of The Limberlost. It's an old-fashioned book, for sure, but the main character is just so inspiring. She has a very difficult mom who is transformed in the course of the story, thanks to her dd's character and behavior--it really impacted me. Made me love nature study, too! :D

ETA__Wanted to say I found National Velvet to be that way, too--written so wonderfully, and the mom character is a hidden gem. One of my fav all timers.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was also published as Gypsy Girl. You might try that title. :)

Thanks. I'll try to track down a used copy or see if any of the libraries nearby have it. I know our library has quite a few of Godden's books. My kids love her work for children, but I've found them to be valuable for myself along with her work for adults.

What I would post has mostly been listed by others---but I wanted to chime in with poetry. We couldn't go without poetry in our home---we read aloud several poems a day.

Leaves of Grass Walt Whitman

TS Eliot Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats

Joyful Noise (love reciting these two part poems with my ds)

Lear's Nonsense Poems

A Child's Garden of Verses

Now We Are Six and When We Were Young AA Milne

Treasury Of Flower Fairies

The Real Mother Goose

Sing a Song of Popcorn

William Blake's Inn

collections from Carl Sandburg, Longfellow, Dickinson, Langston Hughes, Robert Frost

Night Before Christmas

poetry would be the quickest way to "truth, beauty, and wisdom" imo. These are the ones on our shelf that my kiddos have access to and love.

Some other books I like that I don't think I saw mentioned would be Bulfinch Mythologies. We have Age of Fable and Age of Chivalry...love them. We also like Tales of the Brother's Grimm edited by Clarissa Pinkola Estes...we have several versions of fairy tale collections. I really like the perspectives in the different retellings etc.. Also a collection of Hans Christian Anderson is important. I'm not sure if The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings was listed.

Also I don't find it wise to limit children to classics---there's a lot of modern children's lit that are going to BE the classics one day---one of those is Tale of Despereaux. That book is pure beauty. My kids are spellbound when I read it aloud. And there are other modern works and authors that I would place in the category of truth, beauty, wisdom

My dd is reading her way through the Betsy books by Maud Hart Lovelace. She adores them, and is getting a lot of truth, beauty and wisdom out of them, on her own. She finished Heavens to Betsy with tears standing in her eyes, and thoughts of friendship, being true to yourself, and what love might look like some day . . .

She is also getting lots of juice for good reading! Whenever Betsy reads something, she wants to!

As soon as you mentioned truth, beauty and wisdom, I thought of Girl of The Limberlost. It's an old-fashioned book, for sure, but the main character is just so inspiring. She has a very difficult mom who is transformed in the course of the story, thanks to her dd's character and behavior--it really impacted me. Made me love nature study, too! :D

ETA__Wanted to say I found National Velvet to be that way, too--written so wonderfully, and the mom character is a hidden gem. One of my fav all timers.

another book I loved by Gene Stratton Porter was The Harvester. I read it years ago. A beautifully written story.

Besides the coville books, which look wonderful particularly for my younger, are there any other kid friendly approaches to Shakespeare that people recommend?

I spent a long time going through my library's children's and YA Shakespeare collections. I liked this one best. I know a lot of people prefer Lamb, but I think that's best for a middle grade student. For an introduction, I think Packer did an excellent job. Although its promoted for Grades 6-9 or ages 9-12, my 6yo was able to enjoy it. His trouble was just with following the names, but that can't really be helped.

Edited by kebg11

Besides the coville books, which look wonderful particularly for my younger, are there any other kid friendly approaches to Shakespeare that people recommend?

Would The Shakespeare Animated Tales from BBC count? They are on Youtube. Since they are meant to be plays I thought that seeing them (apart from real actors) would be the best introduction.

That is next for my kids. We're sort of working through the original work that the Disney films were loosely based on. We did start that before THE thread.

I don't think you can have too many myths. We've got Egyptian, Greek, Norse, Indian....you get the idea. All mine have enjoyed Aesop also and Brer Rabbit.

I did this for my dd when she was in 2nd & 3rd grade. We read many, many books that became Disney movies. It was an awesome experience that I plan to do again with my boys next year. Some books were on hold because of their mature nature (The Once an Future King comes to mind). And will be great reading for High School...(Another is the Hunchback of Notre Dame. ).

Ds 17, just read The Fox and the Hound and found it fascinating....

That is what a classic is....it appeals across the ages, and you can take something new with you each time you read it.

Faithe

Forgot to mention Mountain Born by Elizabeth Yates. We happened upon it recently, and are looking forward to reading her other books.

Among recent picture books, Patricia MacLachlan's All the Places to Love and Jim LaMarche's The Raft are two we'd nominate as classics. :)

ETA: Those two might be best appreciated by adults and children out of the typical picture book stage. The Raft, especially.

For younger children (and up!), I second the suggestion of Barbara Cooney. Ox-Cart Man, Roxaboxen, Miss Rumphius, Letting Swift River Go. That last one is heavier, but the message might be important enough to make it worth the sadness to the little ones. Not sure. Will have to contemplate it a bit more.

Edited by Eleanor

ETA: Those two might be best appreciated by adults and children out of the typical picture book stage. For younger children (and up!), I second the suggestion of Barbara Cooney. Ox-Cart Man, Roxaboxen, Miss Rumphius, Letting Swift River Go.

:iagree: Adore these books. I highly recommend them, too. Beautiful!

Our "wonderful books" list from this year includes these:

Charlotte's Web

Tales of Desperaux

A Grain of Rice

Pollyanna

Trouble River

Little House books

Twenty and Ten

The Little Riders

Adam of the Road

Apple and the Arrow

The Midwife's Apprentice

The Year of Miss Agnes

Number the Stars

The Corn Grows Ripe

Gabriel's Hour Book

We found all of them quite special for one reason or another.

Would The Shakespeare Animated Tales from BBC count? They are on Youtube. Since they are meant to be plays I thought that seeing them (apart from real actors) would be the best introduction.

We watched these too, but I distracted him during the sex scene in Romeo and Juliet. Wasn't ready for that with my 6yo yet.

What other resources, kindle or not, have inspired truth and beauty in your homeschooler?
I don't know about Truth or Beauty, but we have been profoundly moved (on some level) by a handful of books:

Stranger at Green Knowe (not the first in the series; the whole series is worthwhile)

The Little Grey Men

Summerland

Totto Chan (I can't vouch for this edition, but it's the only one in print. It's readily available used, however.)

The Dog Who Wouldn't Be

Haroun and the Sea of Stories

The Wind in the Willows

the Moffat books

Momo (other editions have cheaper used copies, I picked the listing on Amazon with the most reviews)

The Neverending Story

Totto Chan (I can't vouch for this edition, but it's the only one in print. It's readily available used, however.)

I went to my library catalog to see which edition I'd read and it's no longer there! What an outrage. Only in Japanese. Anyway Dorothy Britton is listed as the translator and Kodansha USA the publisher in the one with a similar front cover. Don't judge the book by the cover.

Don't judge the book by the cover.
Some parents cover it with kraft paper so as not to scare off the kids. :tongue_smilie:

41uFpgSwKAL._AA160_.jpg

My copy is pinker.

Can I throw a question in here?

When do your kids read these classics?

Do you assign them with other school work?

Until 10-ish I do not assign books at all. My goal is for the kids to both want to read and to be able to read anything. Consequently, if I want the kids to experience a particular work, I'll read it out loud. Both DD the Elder, and now her sister, choose to read "classics" just as they would any other book.

Thank you to everyone who contributed to this thread. I just these 2 books for our dil for Easter:

We Three Kings http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/068982114X/ref=oh_o00_s00_i04_details

The Easter Story http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0805063331/ref=oh_o00_s03_i02_details

And these for our granddaughter:

The velveteen Rabbit http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0761458484/ref=oh_o00_s02_i06_details

Cinderella http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1587170043/ref=oh_o00_s02_i08_details

Sometimes we have so much reading for other subjects I feel we run out of time. :)

I usually read our literature at bedtime. Gives them something to chew on overnight.

Sometimes we have so much reading for other subjects I feel we run out of time. :)

It's a good question. Over the last week I have been reading aloud much more than usual (inspired by the Circe thread!) and found that either my kids are going to be working too late or we are not going to get it all done. So for the time being (and this may be a combination of inspiration and fatigue brought on by a long school year) we are going to do the following, more or less, each day:

1) read aloud of our current good book for 1 1/2 to 2 hours

2) math for 30 to 40 minutes for older, 20-30 for younger.

3) Language Arts for one hour (a mix of WWS, Kiss, spelling, free writing, depending on interest and inspiration)

4) Latin for 30 minutes

5) a choice/mix of Spanish, geography, test prep and/or memory work for tues, wed, thurs, and science or history for Mondays and Fridays.

I am going to plan on schooling from 9am until 2 each day.

This is much-reduced, for us at least.

Edited by Halcyon

I spent a long time going through my library's children's and YA Shakespeare collections. I liked this one best. I know a lot of people prefer Lamb, but I think that's best for a middle grade student. For an introduction, I think Packer did an excellent job. Although its promoted for Grades 6-9 or ages 9-12, my 6yo was able to enjoy it. His trouble was just with following the names, but that can't really be helped.

I have that one, it's amazing.

Anything by Elizabeth Enright

Anything by Arthur Ransome

Anything by Edward Eager

anything by Edith Nesbit

Until 10-ish I do not assign books at all. My goal is for the kids to both want to read and to be able to read anything. Consequently, if I want the kids to experience a particular work, I'll read it out loud. Both DD the Elder, and now her sister, choose to read "classics" just as they would any other book.

I'd say 10 is a good age. I know that's when I started to attack the books and read whatever my mom was reading. By the time I was 12 I had read Roots about 4 times. And oh I loved Greek mythology!

all these book lists bring back so many memories!

Oh wow Halcyon, that is a very thought provoking schedule for me to ponder. (I have read bits and pieces of the thread you mentioned.)

Would you mind sharing how this differs from your previous schedule?

I think the language arts area is where we probably need to beef it up. We don't spend anywhere near an hour.

And we do read aloud for quite awhile each morning, but its a mixture of history biographies, bible, science chapters, etc.

Honestly, by the end of the day I am just wiped out and don't usually read a lot before bedtime, if anything. I know. Bad mom. :001_huh:

It's a good question. Over the last week I have been reading aloud much more than usual (inspired by the Circe thread!) and found that either my kids are going to be working too late or we are not going to get it all done. So for the time being (and this may be a combination of inspiration and fatigue brought on by a long school year) we are going to do the following, more or less, each day:

3) Language Arts for one hour (a mix of WWS, Kiss, spelling, free writing, depending on interest and inspiration)

4) Latin for 30 minutes

5) a choice/mix of Spanish, geography, test prep and/or memory work for tues, wed, thurs, and science or history for Mondays and Fridays.

Yeah, I was going to adopt that schedule for the summer too. From Great Books Academy, no? It would be much less for us, too, but I'm curious as to what we can accomplish with it, and I figure summer would be a good time to experiment with it.

4) Latin for 30 minutes

I must admit I missed the thread that inspired you. Right now we are on are light schedule. The weather is great, not insanely hot like it will get this summer, and not many bugs.

Everyday we aim for the following:

1) Read aloud from our various books for 3+ hours a day. (This is spread out throughout the day, and includes Daddy reading mythology books for close to an hour most nights)

2) Math. Right now this is just math discussions. Maybe a book from the library. Some Fred inspired things. Eldest has used "Timez attack" to memorize all his times tables. We are waiting for the computer game "Number Devil". Math will chance a bit when we finally get BA in the mail. My only aim right now is to like math.

3) Mr. Q science. We try to listen to a chapter a day. But my dh is behind on recording since his voice, in his opinion is not good enough quality to record.

That's it. Once the weather gets hotter and the bug count goes up we will add back in STOW and other things.

Oh wow Halcyon, that is a very thought provoking schedule for me to ponder. (I have read bits and pieces of the thread you mentioned.)

Would you mind sharing how this differs from your previous schedule?

I think the language arts area is where we probably need to beef it up. We don't spend anywhere near an hour.

And we do read aloud for quite awhile each morning, but its a mixture of history biographies, bible, science chapters, etc.

Honestly, by the end of the day I am just wiped out and don't usually read a lot before bedtime, if anything. I know. Bad mom. :001_huh:

Our typical schedule has been silent reading of their assigned reading from 8-9 am, math from 9 to 10, Latin from 10 to 11, writing with skill, memory work, and then after lunch moving to a loop schedule on tues throug thurs of grammar, composer studies, test prep, Spanish, daily editing, myhtology and spectrum science readings. Monday afternoon was devoted to science for 3 hours, Friday has been devoted to history for 3 hours.

Language arts is an emphasis for us this year; a goal I'd set at the outset of 4th grade was to improve older's writing such that he could write a coherent, well-structured paragraph from either notes or a draft free write of so something creative. Also, I wanted his grammar to be rock solid.

Eta: forgot to mention I read aloud to them for about an hour before bed as well.

Edited by Halcyon

Well, this may be off-topic, because it is not a classic book that I feel inspires truth, beauty, or wisdom, but we just came back from taking the girls to see Hugo, and WOW!!! We were blown away. It was one of the best movies I've seen in a long time. DD9 read the book before we went, but it was a first for dh and I, and we were both inspired by the truth, beauty, wisdom, and love demonstrated. I do *not* recommend movies lightly, but this was wonderful.

Yeah, I was going to adopt that schedule for the summer too. From Great Books Academy, no? It would be much less for us, too, but I'm curious as to what we can accomplish with it, and I figure summer would be a good time to experiment with it.

I haven't seen that schedule. Can you link it? Now I'm curious!

Well, this may be off-topic, because it is not a classic book that I feel inspires truth, beauty, or wisdom, but we just came back from taking the girls to see Hugo, and WOW!!! We were blown away. It was one of the best movies I've seen in a long time. DD9 read the book before we went, but it was a first for dh and I, and we were both inspired by the truth, beauty, wisdom, and love demonstrated. I do *not* recommend movies lightly, but this was wonderful.

We loved the movie as well! Such a grand story!

Our literature time alternates between read alouds and reading. Once a book is finished being read aloud the next book is one the child reads. Each child reads or is read aloud a different classic. Right now this happens for about 45 minutes 3-4x a week.

Mine doesn't yet. She's slowly reading Farmer Boy aloud to me at bedtime, for practice, although I guess you could say I assigned the book, since I picked it out. I usually only read about 20-30 minutes at bedtime, but during school we get through a chapter or two a week of several books (Our Island Story, Fabre's Book of Insects, Classic Myths to Read Aloud, etc.), and I try to have one book that we do a chapter a day from, which right now is Five Little Peppers and How They Grew.

History is mostly historical fiction this year, next year I'll have far less of that and more literature.

I like the idea of skipping math and Latin on Friday and just focusing on the "other" subjects. I am looking forward to hearing how it goes for you.

I'm going to start after Easter, and take it through the summer, and reevaluate in September. I'll post how it goes.

Here's my question. I would like to read more classic lit to my kids as we have always done a read aloud before lunch time. They love this time of all being together reading a great book. But, we've mostly done historical fiction. So, I just wonder which classics would make good read alouds for 2 teen girls and one eleven year old boy. I read appropriate books to dd age 8 at a different time of the day even though she would be present at the before lunch reading too.

I would like to start reading classics that would capture everyone's attention since this would be a new direction for us. (Not necessarily my 8 yr. old.)

We've listened to many classics and various sonlight read aloud types in the car this year. It's amazing just how much time we spend in the car doing errands over the course of a year. We get them through our library system.

Here are the ones I can think of:

All of the Narnia series

Courage of Sarah Noble

My Side of the Mountain

Sign of the Beaver

Adventures of Tom Sawyer

Charlie & the Chocolate Factory

I can't remember what else, but that might be an option for some to add extra reading opportunities

We read them too but this is an idea for finding more opportunities if you don't already

Edited by warneral

I've been snagging used books, so my Amazon cart is empty. My book basket (kids and I rotate who chooses the book) has Heidi, Little House on the Prairie, The Foundling (Lloyd Alexander - these short stories relate to the Book of Three), and a picture / FIAR book (currently a thrift find: Traveling to Tongo).

My high priority books are the rest of the Prydain series (boys LOVED the Book of Three). Some of the "Poetry for Young People" books. I think we will read through more Little House books (I own about half of them), then the Chronicles of Narnia. I might even "schedule" Narnia for school time.

Oh, and we are reading The Hobbit soon. Before the movie comes out.

Here's my question. I would like to read more classic lit to my kids as we have always done a read aloud before lunch time. They love this time of all being together reading a great book. But, we've mostly done historical fiction. So, I just wonder which classics would make good read alouds for 2 teen girls and one eleven year old boy. I read appropriate books to dd age 8 at a different time of the day even though she would be present at the before lunch reading too.

I would like to start reading classics that would capture everyone's attention since this would be a new direction for us. (Not necessarily my 8 yr. old.)

I wouldn't discount your 8 year old. We are reading Robin Hood (as a read aloud) - by Howard Pyle, so it's got the quoths and everything - and my 5 yo is paying attention and keeping up with the story line. I am very careful to be expressive in order to help with the older language, but the kids are doing very well. Better than I expected. So you might be pleasantly surprised!

Tales from Shakespeare by Charles and Mary Lamb. I believe there's 1 book for the comedies and 1 for the tragedies.

Just a heads up, this is available for Kindle for .99. I also ordered a used copy of Tina Packer's Tales from Shakespeare for just .50 cents plus shipping. And I put four of Bruce Coville's books on hold at the library. :)

Edited by Halcyon

So, I just wonder which classics would make good read alouds for 2 teen girls and one eleven year old boy. I read appropriate books to dd age 8 at a different time of the day even though she would be present at the before lunch reading too.

You know, it is hard to say. My barely verbal almost 5 year old and I had been enjoying Frances Hodgson Burnett's stories in the car (the 3 yo boy hadn't complained either) and dh joined us on one trip. He enjoyed them so much we were forbidden to listen to them any more when he wasn't there! :glare::lol: If a 36 year old man can wriggle with delight over Little Lord Fauntleroy, the Secret Garden and The Little Princess, who is to say who will and won't like what?

Rosie