Menu

How many of you are out sourcing classes for 8th grade?

I'm really curious how many homeschoolers enroll their children in co-ops and why?

I see the benefit of taking some courses in a co-op setting. I think science and writing classes would be great!

I'm trying to decide if I should consider co-ops for next year. I just can't make up my mind. I feel like my son would really benefit, but it's also an interruption in our wk every time we leave the house. (not to mention the other three children that I tow along for the day!)

So, what are the opinions around here? Do you think co-ops are worth the running and interruption in your school day at home? Do they really help your child or are they more of a distraction?

My son is taking a co-op class this year for grammar. I thought it would be good for accountability and forming friendships. And, I think it has done that for the most part. However, it's caused a great amount of running for me and other boys **hate** going, and I have a two yr old that isn't happy sitting in the car either! All of these inconveniences can be worked out for next year, but I'm really struggling with the value of doing it. My son's skill levels didn't really improve a tremendous amount from last yr. He did read some great lit. books and have wonderful discussions with his peers. That was nice. But...overall, academically speaking- he hasn't grown tremendously from the experience. So...what to do...what to do.

I'm just curious what other moms think about co-ops. I look forward to your replies!

Thanks so much!

We don't do co-ops for a few reasons, one being the distraction in the day. If we leave the house during school time, we can never get refocused. Our local co-op offers few academic programs, and honestly I don't know the quality of instruction. Science programs seem to be YEC viewpoint, which is not how I want to approach science. Writing can be very subjective, it would depend on the individual teacher for me.

I would rather outsource online than use a full day for two subjects. YMMV. There are so many good online programs(we've not used any yet), I'd rather go that route unless you're specifically using a co-op for socialization.

This year, my 8th grader has taken Algebra I with Jann in Tx. She has also taken English Comp. I at our local homeschool cover school. It's not a co-op, rather, students 13 years old through high school can take high school level classes that parents don't want to teach. (There are teachers for all of the classes; parents don't teach as I understand they do in co-ops.)

Out-sourcing these two classes worked beatifully for dd. She has learned how to work independently, keep up with assignments, and work responsibly with a teacher other than me. This has been wonderful prep for high school.

especially as you approach the high school years. But, I'm not exactly sure why? Well, I guess some might not feel capable of teaching to that level. But, I'm not sure other than that? Also, the science class would be two days a wk! ugh! That is just tough for me to commit to! Although, I see why it should be two days- one lecture, one lab. But, for 8th grade, I'm not feeling the need for that at this moment.

I'm glad to hear you say you don't feel the need to do it. I was starting to feel like I was missing something. I'm not saying I don't see the value b/c I do. I see why so many ppl like them. But, I'm struggling so hard with what I am 'giving up' to gain in this situation. I just want to make sure I'm not becoming short sighted. :confused:

So, online might be a rather good option for us. :001_smile: I haven't really thought too much about online classes, but I see how that would be so good for us!

Thanks for your advice. :)

So, when you say these are great prep for high school, are you planning on putting your DD in a high school program outside your home? I'm asking b/c I'm trying to determine what my goals should be. My son doesn't want to go to ps, at all. :) But, I see the value that these classes teach- all that you mentioned. I agree. My son has learned a lot about keeping up with notes and accountability this year. But, as we get closer to HS, I am trying to decide if that's what my focus should be if he isn't going to a Public HS?

This year, my 8th grader has taken Algebra I with Jann in Tx. She has also taken English Comp. I at our local homeschool cover school. It's not a co-op, rather, students 13 years old through high school can take high school level classes that parents don't want to teach. (There are teachers for all of the classes; parents don't teach as I understand they do in co-ops.)

Out-sourcing these two classes worked beatifully for dd. She has learned how to work independently, keep up with assignments, and work responsibly with a teacher other than me. This has been wonderful prep for high school.

Thank you! I'm starting to feel better about what my gutt instinct is telling me!

I do not plan on any of my children going to ps, but you never know what life will deal you. So, I guess I'm just trying to keep a good balance for their sake. I'm thinking though that I will be just fine at home. :001_smile:

We do not do co-ops. My rising 8th grader will do everything at home w/me. My rising 11th grader will do everything at home w/me w/the exception of math and science (he will either take multivariable cal and cal-based physics through EPGY or at a local university.)

I haven't fully outsourced anything, but I've got supplemental tutoring in a couple of subjects, and do things together with a couple of other families in some others.

For writing, we've been doing The Lively Art of Writing at home, but also they have a WriteGuide tutor that they work with longer papers on.

For Spanish, I teach a weekly class to my older two and one of their friends. This makes sure it gets done (the teaching), and they know they have to finish homework by the next class. This semester, I've also hired a Skype tutor for additional speaking/listening skills.

For science, we meet biweekly with two other families using the same book for labs. But all the rest of the work (reading, note-taking, written assessments, exams) is done at home.

I've never found a coop with strong enough academics to be worth considering a whole subject "good" for the year.

I would love a co-op or an outsourced class for my oldest that would stretch and challenge him and convince him that his minimum effort doesn't compare very favorably to other students, and inspire his competitive spirit to work a little harder. Alas, I think it is not to be found here - or at least not in a form that meets our needs and is logistically possible. <sigh> But, that's my reason for wanting it.

I'm a fan of co-ops (I guess I'm in the minority). My kids thrive in social, competitive settings. I also find the accountability helpful. Plus, I'm social too and enjoying the camaraderie with the other moms (plus the sharing of ideas).

I've also used online classes for accountability and expertise. My 8th grader is taking Latin, logic, and writing online. I couldn't keep up w/his Latin, and I like the idea of someone else grading his papers. It's hard for me to judge what an 8th grader's essay should look like. I would expect too much I believe.

Plus, it frees me up to do other things w/my other kids.

Laura

This is the exact reason that we did the co-op this year! It has helped some with him raising the bar a little, but I can't say that it's made it better. In many ways, it's really just complicated my life with 'different' academic areas. I'm not sure that makes sense. I guess what I'm saying is that he is growing with accountability to a degree, but we are losing some academics b/c of time factors, and I am struggling with other issues b/c of the younger kids not wanting to be there! I wonder if I'm trading one issue for another??:confused:

I would love a co-op or an outsourced class for my oldest that would stretch and challenge him and convince him that his minimum effort doesn't compare very favorably to other students, and inspire his competitive spirit to work a little harder. Alas, I think it is not to be found here - or at least not in a form that meets our needs and is logistically possible. <sigh> But, that's my reason for wanting it.

I understand this too. I guess if I didn't have a two yr old I would be more inclined to be social. I find it too difficult to have a complete conversation with a two yr old in tow!:) I also find that having a toddler in a co-op setting isn't always the easiest.

I'm a fan of co-ops (I guess I'm in the minority). My kids thrive in social, competitive settings. I also find the accountability helpful. Plus, I'm social too and enjoying the camaraderie with the other moms (plus the sharing of ideas).

I've also used online classes for accountability and expertise. My 8th grader is taking Latin, logic, and writing online. I couldn't keep up w/his Latin, and I like the idea of someone else grading his papers. It's hard for me to judge what an 8th grader's essay should look like. I would expect too much I believe.

Plus, it frees me up to do other things w/my other kids.

Laura

So, when you say these are great prep for high school, are you planning on putting your DD in a high school program outside your home? I'm asking b/c I'm trying to determine what my goals should be. My son doesn't want to go to ps, at all. :) But, I see the value that these classes teach- all that you mentioned. I agree. My son has learned a lot about keeping up with notes and accountability this year. But, as we get closer to HS, I am trying to decide if that's what my focus should be if he isn't going to a Public HS?

We are not planning on putting dd in high school outside our home. She prefers being home schooled.

Dd is our first high schooler, so I'm trying to teach her what I feel comfortable teaching at home and outsource what I don't. You've heard all of this before, I'm sure: How can the average mom teach high school classes if she has little to no experience in required classes? This is me, so I feel much better having dd take some outside classes. When I've tried to piece a course together, I end up feeling very insecure and abandon the idea. I wish sometimes that I had more confidence doing this. I become concerned that what I teach at home will be questioned by colleges and that I'll be a cause of dd not being accepted. I know this is not true, but it's how I feel, and it's been a difficult feeling to ignore.

So, dd's 9th grade year is looking like this:

Outsource math, science, and Spanish I.

I oversee MFW AHL.

Dd exercises/rides horses for PE, and we schedule in ACT prep when she has time to take a practice test.

Hopefully I'll feel better about planning her sophomore year after we see how high school works in 9th grade.

There is no question in my mind, however, about how these outsourced classes have prepared dd for 9th grade work. No regrets at all. Even if dd isn't going to public school, these outsourced classes are helping her work towards being ready for college-level skills. She'll need to know how to take notes, work with teachers, keep up with assignments, etc...

I didn't outsource any classes for my three older kids until high school. But I am thinking about outsourcing algebra and writing for my youngest next year.

I tried out a co op situation for a few months once. It didn't work for us. The different families had varying degrees of dedication to the program. I taught a government class and had some students who just didn't do the work that was assigned, some students that randomly showed up, and some students that had parents that expected a public school class. I suppose there may be co ops full of like minded families that are wonderful and academic, but I'm thinking they are rare. Because of my experience, I have stayed away from Co ops.

I have found a program where the classes are taught by teachers that are paid for their services. This is something I am excited about. And since the classes will be core classes, I feel okay about being gone from home for two days a week.

We do co-op as an extra. Ds gets IEW there as well as electives (piano and cooking). At his age he thrives with it - the peer feedback in writing, the new recipes, and a skill mom can't teach. He gets to be a little more independent and grow in ways he wouldn't have at home.

We'll continue with the co-op next year but will reassess when we move to see if there is a more academic setting for him. If not, we'll look at online classes for 1-2 subjects.

We don't do co-ops for a few reasons, one being the distraction in the day. If we leave the house during school time, we can never get refocused. Our local co-op offers few academic programs, and honestly I don't know the quality of instruction. Science programs seem to be YEC viewpoint, which is not how I want to approach science. Writing can be very subjective, it would depend on the individual teacher for me.

I would rather outsource online than use a full day for two subjects. YMMV. There are so many good online programs(we've not used any yet), I'd rather go that route unless you're specifically using a co-op for socialization.

:iagree:

Heather

I didn't outsource any classes for my three older kids until high school. But I am thinking about outsourcing algebra and writing for my youngest next year.

I tried out a co op situation for a few months once. It didn't work for us. The different families had varying degrees of dedication to the program. I taught a government class and had some students who just didn't do the work that was assigned, some students that randomly showed up, and some students that had parents that expected a public school class. I suppose there may be co ops full of like minded families that are wonderful and academic, but I'm thinking they are rare. Because of my experience, I have stayed away from Co ops.

I have found a program where the classes are taught by teachers that are paid for their services. This is something I am excited about. And since the classes will be core classes, I feel okay about being gone from home for two days a week.

Thank you for sharing your experience. I agree that finding a co-op that is the right academic standard is rare... And, I agree that the ones with the best reputations for academic standards are ones where teachers are paid for their services. Time for me to face these realities and get on with planning our year. <sigh>

I'm really curious how many homeschoolers enroll their children in co-ops and why?

I see the benefit of taking some courses in a co-op setting. I think science and writing classes would be great!

I'm trying to decide if I should consider co-ops for next year. I just can't make up my mind. I feel like my son would really benefit, but it's also an interruption in our wk every time we leave the house. (not to mention the other three children that I tow along for the day!)

So, what are the opinions around here? Do you think co-ops are worth the running and interruption in your school day at home? Do they really help your child or are they more of a distraction?

My son is taking a co-op class this year for grammar. I thought it would be good for accountability and forming friendships. And, I think it has done that for the most part. However, it's caused a great amount of running for me and other boys **hate** going, and I have a two yr old that isn't happy sitting in the car either! All of these inconveniences can be worked out for next year, but I'm really struggling with the value of doing it. My son's skill levels didn't really improve a tremendous amount from last yr. He did read some great lit. books and have wonderful discussions with his peers. That was nice. But...overall, academically speaking- he hasn't grown tremendously from the experience. So...what to do...what to do.

I'm just curious what other moms think about co-ops. I look forward to your replies!

Thanks so much!

If that coop didn't suit you, then I wouldn't rush back to it. I think that a good coop (defined as one that matches your needs and expectations) situation can be great, but a poor match is probably worse than going it alone.

A couple things I think my sons have learned include learning to meet deadlines that matter and cannot slide. For example, Cauliflower is in a yearbook class. They have to have layouts done by a certain date or the yearbook won't be published on time.

I'm finding that my goals for science and math don't necessarily match up with the other families in the coop. But it has been a fun way for them to do elective type classes that they enjoy but that I never find time for (Rutabaga has two different art and design classes, Artichoke has chess and an elementary science class).

I'm weighing the options for next year. I don't like Apologia science, so science isn't likely to be a course we do with the local coops. I'm looking to see what I can teach that I might already want to do with my sons, that would benefit from being done in a group setting with discussions.

The con to coop is that some can undermine the whole homework deadline idea by generally not doing assigned work. I'm teaching a writing class and I'd say that only 1/3 to 1/2 of the students do the assignements. All I can do at this point is teach those who are willing to do the work. I do not have a creative writing magic wand to make authors out of those who will not write.

On the other side of outsourcing, we are doing German Online with OSU, which has online lessons and paper based exercises, as well as weekly calls to a German speaker. This has been pretty helpful.

My oldest took a cartooning class in 8th and 9th grades. That was the only outsourced class for her until she started dual credit at the cc in 11th grade.

My middle didn't take any classes before starting dual credit in 11th grade.

My youngest started taking a sewing class at a co-op in 7th grade and is still taking that class. She also does private guitar, banjo, and voice lessons, but they aren't associated with a co-op.

We don't do coops. Neither of mine outsourced anything for 8th grade. They both went to ps when they were younger, so they know what a classroom is like. They don't want it back.

We do use some video instruction as the kids develop interests that I'm not qualified to teach. I haven't ever found a coop with teachers more qualified than I am in most areas. We won't really outsource until we start using the CC probably 11th grade.

Not co-ops, but I do pay for a couple of outside classes. My 8th grader is taking honors algebra 2, honors physics, and Latin 3. These were not classes that I could truly teach well myself. I could get a book and facilitate, more or less, but being in a class has been beneficial to ds. We do the math and science with Derek Owens (he's local to us, so ds goes to class with him once a week and finishes additional work at home with the videos as necessary) and Latin with a local teacher (and a couple of other students in the class).

I don't think that outside classes or co-ops are necessary "just because", but there are times when a parent isn't fully equipped to teach a particular subject. That's been the case for me as we got to more challenging math, science, and Latin.

We are involved in a couple of "enrichment" co-ops that the kids love. The problem is that the classes are varied every 6 weeks and there is very little going on other then "learning-style" play, an unschoolers dream. The other co-ops that I have come across are all YEC and we are soooo not that. I had been looking at outsourcing some for DC as they move into Jr high. Not because I can't teach the subjects. I want my children to do well in college and feel they need to have the experience of a classroom. Everything I have found that is rigorous is very $$$ and not the curriculum I would use. If I could find a co-op that taught using the right curriculum and was affordable I would jump on it in a heartbeat.

I have tried a few co-ops ( starting 12 years ago with 2 then 3 children) we mostly did parties, picnics, and met at the library.

Then we joined a Classical Support group and that was great while it lasted.

Some members dreamed of a cottage school, but instead of that most of them are in CC ( 3 or 4 years now)

We live too far away and have no help with young ones, so the other co-ops did not work out for us very well due to a severe lack of help in the Nursery and some other conflict.

If ever you join a co-op, pray, pray, pray, and don't feel guilty if you drop out. I have been bashed for using VP history timeline cards, CC memory work, and vehemently for using SOTW. So, for me it is not worth the conflict, and I have tried my best to be accomodating, take my time in Nursery, even my oldest helping in Nursery for 1 hour, and other mom's rarely want to stay or some just want it to be a drop off.

Our " Support" group has not been very supportive either and I am not going to join it again any time soon. Too much drama, especially for a "Christian" support group.

It is better to do it alone than be involved where we are not really supposed to be. My son was injured by my preacher's son 3 times and treated horribly more than I can say.

We have church, youth group, some family, and are using dvd sets, cd's, software, and great books right now.

Kevin Leman has said we should limit our extra curricular activities to 1 per child. And to always try to do "What is best for the whole family"

The larger the family the harder this is many times.

I am considering joining a State support group that allows groups to start small within their guidelines. And it looks like a few others who are closer to us may be interested. They too have had legitimate issues and live far from the "support" group, and field trips too.

I will do my best to be content now whatever happens and always do my best for my family first. I have tried to please the wrong people and been through too much because of it. :grouphug:

The only outsourcing we have done here is DVD "classes": MUS, IEW, and Analytical Grammar. We also have a tutor to help in specific areas as needed. I'd love to have DD in a co-op class but the time requirement (and many times mom involvement) is not something we can sacrifice. Not with so much to get done and 3 young ones to haul around. :001_smile:

Yes, this is exactly my situation. I have two boys that just sit and wait for my oldest son to get finished (hating it) and a two yr old that screams in his carseat going and coming! :001_huh: And, funny thing, my oldest son doesn't even care if he goes to the class. He does great- does the work, etc... but he doesn't feel like he's missing out on anything. I think I just felt like it might be a great prep for him. But, now, I'm thinking it's just too much work and the payoff isn't there.

The only outsourcing we have done here is DVD "classes": MUS, IEW, and Analytical Grammar. We also have a tutor to help in specific areas as needed. I'd love to have DD in a co-op class but the time requirement (and many times mom involvement) is not something we can sacrifice. Not with so much to get done and 3 young ones to haul around. :001_smile:

Yes, we have done much of this too. I agree with most of your assessments. We've had lots of issues too. But, for the most part, the fit just wasn't right for our family. I guess that hasn't changed much!:001_smile:

We've used TPS online for English and some electives.

I have tried a few co-ops ( starting 12 years ago with 2 then 3 children) we mostly did parties, picnics, and met at the library.

Then we joined a Classical Support group and that was great while it lasted.

Some members dreamed of a cottage school, but instead of that most of them are in CC ( 3 or 4 years now)

We live too far away and have no help with young ones, so the other co-ops did not work out for us very well due to a severe lack of help in the Nursery and some other conflict.

If ever you join a co-op, pray, pray, pray, and don't feel guilty if you drop out. I have been bashed for using VP history timeline cards, CC memory work, and vehemently for using SOTW. So, for me it is not worth the conflict, and I have tried my best to be accomodating, take my time in Nursery, even my oldest helping in Nursery for 1 hour, and other mom's rarely want to stay or some just want it to be a drop off.

Our " Support" group has not been very supportive either and I am not going to join it again any time soon. Too much drama, especially for a "Christian" support group.

It is better to do it alone than be involved where we are not really supposed to be. My son was injured by my preacher's son 3 times and treated horribly more than I can say.

We have church, youth group, some family, and are using dvd sets, cd's, software, and great books right now.

Kevin Leman has said we should limit our extra curricular activities to 1 per child. And to always try to do "What is best for the whole family"

The larger the family the harder this is many times.

I am considering joining a State support group that allows groups to start small within their guidelines. And it looks like a few others who are closer to us may be interested. They too have had legitimate issues and live far from the "support" group, and field trips too.

I will do my best to be content now whatever happens and always do my best for my family first. I have tried to please the wrong people and been through too much because of it. :grouphug:

I wish I could outsource Art. I am a bit envious of those that can choose, or not choose a co-op. The only game in town here is a group that has a statement I am not comfortable signing, even though I agree with 90%. But I am seriously wishing I could choke down the other 10%. There is a local Art class that the boys could take locally in a fabulous art center, but they will only set up classes through that group and will not allow tag alongs. I have one child that loves Art and I am hopeless other than providing materials, displaying it, and telling him how creative he is.

I outsourced many classes for both my boys for seventh and eighth grades because they want and need more group discussion by that age. I also think that it's a good idea to begin to hear the viewpoints of different instructors and get used to different teaching styles, etc. Having grades from other sources to back up your own grades is another plus as you get into high school level work....

I would just try to ask around and make sure that the classes are really worthwhile and the instructors good. I'm not really interested in wasting time or money just to say we did something, when we really didn't "do" it....

In the past we were in a small co-op with two other families and the way we did it worked out really well. Our two subjects were science and art, and we met on Friday afternoons. It was great because the families involved all live in the same vicinity, only a mile apart. That was so awesome! The kids were at the same grade level and followed a schedule during the week at home with their science, then on Fridays they would do experiments together, watch related videos or occasionally go on a science field trip. Then we'd finish the day with a 90 minute art lesson that I would teach (I'm an art teacher by profession, so that was great). One of the other moms, who is my friend with a science degree, taught the science courses. I really liked that type of co-op, especially since we customized it to fit our families and also because it was at the end of the week and didn't disrupt too much. We ultimately had to stop though because of my work schedule changing.

Other co-ops have been of no interest to me because they always require more of the parents than I am able to give (I work part-time), plus the only ones I know of in our area meet midweek and are a distance away from our home, which requires travel time I just can't afford. The payoff is not enough compared to the sacrifices that would be made.

I'm hoping to get my dd enrolled in a virtual co-op next year for science so that she can have some interaction with others without having to add in all the other stuff. It won't be exactly like face-to-face, real life interaction, but will still be a nice change for her.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Edited by HSMom2One

I'm hoping to get my dd enrolled in a virtual co-op next year for science so that she can have some interaction with others without having to add in all the other stuff. It won't be exactly like face-to-face, real life interaction, but will still be a nice change for her.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Lucinda,

I've never heard of a virtual co-op. Would you share more about this?

Thanks

Lucinda,

I've never heard of a virtual co-op. Would you share more about this?

Thanks

I'm just learning about this myself, so am not an expert by any means, but another boardie offered me a link to this website and I'm really excited. Students and parents are involved through Internet connection and the group meets live with everyone at home at their computers. Isn't that cool?

You can also choose to take a course at your own pace without the live interaction, but I'm interested in getting my dd involved with other people who are studying the same material. I want dd to be able to see videos of demonstrations (i.e. dissections for one thing), and I'd love to get her involved with discussions. This can be done online with the technology we have available. The type of courses available through this group fit our needs beautifully, especially the Apologia Physical Science that will hopefully be offered again next school year.

BTW, I know there are TOG virtual co-ops too. Maybe there are others out there that I'm not aware of that would fit the various needs of hs families. I think we'll be seeing more of this as time goes by because it will help cut back on busy-ness for families that need to simplify.

Blessings,

Lucinda

I wish I could outsource Art. I am a bit envious of those that can choose, or not choose a co-op. The only game in town here is a group that has a statement I am not comfortable signing, even though I agree with 90%. But I am seriously wishing I could choke down the other 10%. There is a local Art class that the boys could take locally in a fabulous art center, but they will only set up classes through that group and will not allow tag alongs. I have one child that loves Art and I am hopeless other than providing materials, displaying it, and telling him how creative he is.

Can you amend the statement? I did that with a group, and they were fine with it.

Laura

This co-op sounds perfect! But, I've never had the pleasure of experiencing something so organized and perfectly fitting for our family. We've always, always had to make some drastic sacrifices- imo. This year the sacrifices have been the other children being frustrated, distance (30mins from home), mid week and therefore, it manages to result in the loss of the day for academics. And, too much stress with the two yr old.

I think I've just decided that we need to be HOME. I do think in High School it would be nice to take some classes together. I think that science/labs, math, writing, lit are all pretty fun in a group. I can see that as a nice option. The group we are involved in this year offers HS classes. I was really thinking about getting my son established there so he could benefit from the HS classes being offered. I just thought he might enjoy it more in a group. But, I just don't know. This year has been so hard on me. I feel like the other children are put through so much for this one class. And, like I mentioned before, my son doesn't seem to really be thrilled with the class. He likes it, but it's not like he looks forward to it. It's hard to explain. Tonight, he was pretty excited bc the teacher emailed saying she was going to have the movie, To Kill a Mocking Bird for them to watch since they just finished the book. He thought that was pretty neat. :)

In the past we were in a small co-op with two other families and the way we did it worked out really well. Our two subjects were science and art, and we met on Friday afternoons. It was great because the families involved all live in the same vicinity, only a mile apart. That was so awesome! The kids were at the same grade level and followed a schedule during the week at home with their science, then on Fridays they would do experiments together, watch related videos or occasionally go on a science field trip. Then we'd finish the day with a 90 minute art lesson that I would teach (I'm an art teacher by profession, so that was great). One of the other moms, who is my friend with a science degree, taught the science courses. I really liked that type of co-op, especially since we customized it to fit our families and also because it was at the end of the week and didn't disrupt too much. We ultimately had to stop though because of my work schedule changing.

Other co-ops have been of no interest to me because they always require more of the parents than I am able to give (I work part-time), plus the only ones I know of in our area meet midweek and are a distance away from our home, which requires travel time I just can't afford. The payoff is not enough compared to the sacrifices that would be made.

Blessings,

Lucinda

This is a neat idea. I appreciate you sharing this. I look forward to investigating this further!

I'm just learning about this myself, so am not an expert by any means, but another boardie offered me a link to this website and I'm really excited. Students and parents are involved through Internet connection and the group meets live with everyone at home at their computers. Isn't that cool?

You can also choose to take a course at your own pace without the live interaction, but I'm interested in getting my dd involved with other people who are studying the same material. I want dd to be able to see videos of demonstrations (i.e. dissections for one thing), and I'd love to get her involved with discussions. This can be done online with the technology we have available. The type of courses available through this group fit our needs beautifully, especially the Apologia Physical Science that will hopefully be offered again next school year.

BTW, I know there are TOG virtual co-ops too. Maybe there are others out there that I'm not aware of that would fit the various needs of hs families. I think we'll be seeing more of this as time goes by because it will help cut back on busy-ness for families that need to simplify.

Blessings,

Lucinda