Menu

s/o Does your large capacity top loading washer destroy your clothes?

A few posters mentioned that top loaders (ones without an agitator) can destroy clothing. Consumer Reports also mentions that HE washers can be rough on clothes.

Well, I want to be able to wash comforters and other large things occasionally, but not at the price of having everything else wear out faster.

Any wisdom on this?

I've only ever used a top loader. I wash EVERYTHING including comforters with no issues. Once, a long time ago, I stuffed a king size comforter into a not quite big enough washer and it tore a hole where the top rubbed on the drum too much. Other than that, I have never had trouble.

My dryer on the other hand loves to eat clothes :glare:

ETA: Sorry, I just read you meant WITHOUT and agitator. I've never used one.

Edited by Apryl H

We have a really nice, HE, large capacity, top loading (no agitator) washer, and I have noticed holes in our clothing. Im pretty bummed about it.

Yes, I have had many things destroyed.

Not at all what I wanted to hear, but what I suspected. Do you both mind telling me what washers you have? Were the destroyed items exceptionally delicate or just regular clothes.

Yikes -- my washer now is old & doesn't get things as clean as I would like without a lot of pre-wash scrubbing, but at least the clothes are wearable.

Silly question -- are all washers without agitators HE washers?

I have a front loading machine and I have noticed that if I put anything with buttons or zippers in with t-shirts they will come out with small holes. I never had this problem with my old top loading machine with an agitator.

I think its a combination of the less water and the machines being rougher on clothes along with the fact that the material clothes are being made with is getting thinner and thinner every year.

I'll have to check which one we have. But we bought a band new top loading washer without agitator last fall and love it. We find it does a great job cleaning our laundry, however it doesn't destroy DH's uniforms like the top loading agitator washer we use to have did.

Hmm.. I've never heard that. That might have given me pause before I purchased it, but I've never had any problems with our clothing. I have a GE, king size capacity, top loading, no agitator. I love that I can wash our quilts and comforters. My old top load with agitator wasn't big enough for that.

I've had a GE, HE top-loader for 8 years. I'm sure it has not caused any damage to our clothes. I have some small holes in some of my t-shirts but I know that is just from the ridiculously thin (tissue/layering) fabric they have been using on women's clothes the last few years :glare:.

It's a tight fit, but I can wash a king-sized comforter in my washer.

A few posters mentioned that top loaders (ones without an agitator) can destroy clothing. Consumer Reports also mentions that HE washers can be rough on clothes.

Well, I want to be able to wash comforters and other large things occasionally, but not at the price of having everything else wear out faster.

Any wisdom on this?

I have a cr@ppy Whirlpool Cabrio top loader without agitator. I can't stand this washer, but it has never destroyed any clothing. It hasn't been hard on clothing either. If anything, I think it's more gentle on clothing because it does such a bad job washing clothes. I haven't noticed HE detergent being rough on clothing.

I've decided I'm going to get a Speed Queen washer. The three year warranty is amazing! According to reviews, these machines last forever. I'm sick of dealing with control boards (or whatever they are called) going out. I want a plain, no frills washing machine and the Speed Queen seems to be perfect. Plus I love the fact that I can control the water level!

Thanks all that recommended Speed Queen! I didn't know they made washing machines for the home.

I have had a Maytag Bravos for almost two years now. I love it. I have never had the problem of holes in clothes. The only thing I have really noticed is it is harder on my cheap towels, not so much on the good quality ones I keep for the guest bathroom.

This is what we have - it's about 3.5 years old. Overall, I really like it, but I can't deny that I notice small holes in our clothing, mostly t-shirts. And I don't think it has to do with them being thin or worn out.

Why would a washer without an agitator be rougher on clothing? It seems like it would have fewer parts in cntact with the clothing and therefore be gentler. I have a regular old fashioned top loader and I never have any problems. It is a pain when I need to wash a comforter though.

I have definitely noticed mine causing damage. It also does not clean as well as a front loader. I think the way it moves the clothes gets them really tangled/knotted together which over stretches the fabric causing damage. I also have to shake almost every item out before putting them in the dryer or they will come out really wrinkled. I wish I had my front loader back.

I have noticed that when I switched to a front loader that the cheaper clothes get a slightly more worn look to them. The hole thing is remedied by making sure all zippers are zipped! I also use the speed cycle which is only 36 minutes. I really think that you need 2 washers:D. Top loaders that fill are the best for really swishing out the super dirty clothes but for every day items the front loader is best.

I wonder if the reason for the damage is that with such low water levels, the clothes don't have that buffer of water surrounding them- that they are essentially rubbing each other through the whole cycle.

The key is to wash like items- jeans with jeans, t-shirts with t-shirts. It's difficult for t-shirts to rub each other and cause damage, but it's easy for rough jeans with zippers to rub and make holes in the currently stylish paper thin t-shirts.

I haven't noticed damage in the years we've had a HE washer but I do think it's more difficult to keep towels and clothes smelling good- teenage boy clothing just might need some extra water to dilute the boy smell!

My Fisher Paykel ecosmart top loading HE washer with agitator has not caused any damage to our clothes.

All the people (keptwoman, etc) with this brand seem to rave about -- I've never heard any negatives. It's now on my short list.

I had more issues with little holes in the old washer, with the agitator. I don't think I've seen any in the year we've had the washer without the agitator.

I have a cr@ppy Whirlpool Cabrio top loader without agitator. I can't stand this washer, but it has never destroyed any clothing. It hasn't been hard on clothing either. If anything, I think it's more gentle on clothing because it does such a bad job washing clothes. I haven't noticed HE detergent being rough on clothing.

I've decided I'm going to get a Speed Queen washer. The three year warranty is amazing! According to reviews, these machines last forever. I'm sick of dealing with control boards (or whatever they are called) going out. I want a plain, no frills washing machine and the Speed Queen seems to be perfect. Plus I love the fact that I can control the water level!

Thanks all that recommended Speed Queen! I didn't know they made washing machines for the home.

I will have to look at SQ too. Since they are mainly commercial, I am wondering about vibration/noise.

I have definitely noticed mine causing damage. It also does not clean as well as a front loader. I think the way it moves the clothes gets them really tangled/knotted together which over stretches the fabric causing damage. I also have to shake almost every item out before putting them in the dryer or they will come out really wrinkled. I wish I had my front loader back.

That is about what Consumer reports said. What brand do you have?

Just curious, what kinds of washers are you talking about that don't have controls for the water level? I didn't realize there was such a thing.

Below is from Wikipedia. My machine uses so little water nothing really gets very clean. From reviews I've read, I thought the EPA regulated water usage in washing machines but now I see it's the almighty dollar.

From what I've read, with a Speed Queen, you can hold down the reset button to fill the machine up with the amount of water you want. I've also seen a video of how to easily adjust the factory setting. It's as easy as turning a screw.

Top-loading and front-loading clothes washers are covered by a single Federal Standard regulating energy consumption. The Federal Standard effective up until January 1, 2011 includes no restriction on water consumption. Therefore, washer manufacturers face no legal restriction on how much unheated rinse water may be used, in washers manufactured before that date.

Many US-market clothes washers are more energy-efficient and water-efficient than required by the mandatory Federal Standard, or even the more stringent Energy Star standard. Manufacturers may be motivated to exceed legally mandated standards by a program of direct-to-manufacturer tax credits. Excessive energy conservation in the laundering process may lead to less-than-satisfactory cleaning, and excessive water conservation may lead to poor rinsing.

Any wisdom on this?

I've had my top loader HE (no agitator) for a little over 1 year and NO HOLES in anything and NO PROBLEMS. Very happy with it.

Below is from Wikipedia. My machine uses so little water nothing really gets very clean. From reviews I've read, I thought the EPA regulated water usage in washing machines but now I see it's the almighty dollar.

From what I've read, with a Speed Queen, you can hold down the reset button to fill the machine up with the amount of water you want. I've also seen a video of how to easily adjust the factory setting. It's as easy as turning a screw.

Oh, my! That takes the cake. First, it's the 'water saving' toilets that may have to be flushed so many times they actually can use more water than the regular ones. Now washers that don't wash?

I have had my big top loading LG washer for several months now, and have had absolutely no problems with it whatsoever. I love it! (Well, I love it as much as I can love an appliance. ;) )

:iagree:

Same here :001_smile: