Menu

How can someone be banned but still logged in

It's possible that when the ban takes place, the member doesn't get immediately booted (but presumably still can't navigate to new pages), but shows up as logged in until they time out, what, 1/2 hour later?

This person was banned for at least a day before I noticed the green light

You can not view the board while banned. I suppose you could if you access it from a different ISP, I don't know exactly if an ISP is banned, but you can't even see it as a guest. At least in my experience. :D

Thanks. Interesting. Did it still let you log in though you couldn't see anything? Just wondering if that would cause the green light.

Thanks. Interesting. Did it still let you log in though you couldn't see anything? Just wondering if that would cause the green light.

I never log out. You get a little notification window, like an error message, if you try to visit the site. It reminds you when your ban expires.

I have no idea why there would be a green light, unless you're a techno wizard and getting in another covert way.

Wow, I read a few pages of that thread. It was *very* interesting! There were oppositional opinions (even some strong ones), as far as I read everyone was playing respectfully. Hmmm, maybe I read it in my sleep.... Anyway, I missed the banning and do not recognize that boardie from the lost of usual suspects.

Now astrid, on the other hand... :lol: - I am just ribbing you, y'know! I did actually check the member roster for the status of a few I suspected, but you did NOT come to mind!

This person was banned for at least a day before I noticed the green light

The last post (that wasn't deleted) was 3 days ago, and I've seen both green lights and gray lights since then. It's currently gray — maybe we alerted him/her that their cloaking device wasn't working. :D

You can not view the board while banned. I suppose you could if you access it from a different ISP, I don't know exactly if an ISP is banned, but you can't even see it as a guest. At least in my experience. :D

I haven't been banned (yet :tongue_smilie:), but I know there are definitely ways to get around not being able to see the board when banned, even without having to switch to a different computer. The is the first time I've ever seen the green light on the name of someone who was banned, though. They're clearly more tech-savvy than I am!

ETA: here I was trying to be purposely vague with my pronouns and then you guys added those tags :lol:

Jackie

Edited by Corraleno

When I was banned I would log on and then it would take me to a page that said "YOU HAVE BEEN BANNED" and give the reason why, with bullet points. I laugh about it now. Anyway, if I deleted my cookies I could get back on the board but not as myself so I couldn't post.

The board may get a little rocky because a Mercury Retrograde is coming up and I, personally, head for the hills on the Internet when a MR comes up.

Wow, I read a few pages of that thread. It was *very* interesting! There were oppositional opinions (even some strong ones), as far as I read everyone was playing respectfully. Hmmm, maybe I read it in my sleep.... Anyway, I missed the banning and do not recognize that boardie from the lost of usual suspects.

Now astrid, on the other hand... :lol: - I am just ribbing you, y'know! I did actually check the member roster for the status of a few I suspected, but you did NOT come to mind!

:iagree: Contrary to what a PP said, there was actually a lot of respectful, interesting discussion. I was shocked when I came back and saw someone had been banned. Although I admit that member had been particularly condescending, I didn't realize that was a ban-worthy offense.

LOL

It locks out the IP address, I think. Or it might be true that people who are logged out when the ban is begun can still visit as guests.

I stay logged in, so when I'm banned my whole computer is banned. Last time it occurred to me to read as a guest on DH's computer. My conscience pricked me but I needed to read a post about something academic. Really!

~TD, who spends a lot of time in the pokey

When I was banned I would log on and then it would take me to a page that said "YOU HAVE BEEN BANNED" and give the reason why, with bullet points. I laugh about it now. Anyway, if I deleted my cookies I could get back on the board but not as myself so I couldn't post.

The board may get a little rocky because a Mercury Retrograde is coming up and I, personally, head for the hills on the Internet when a MR comes up.

I was wondering if that's all one had to do. :)

I have seen a green dot by my name when I was logged out. Perhaps there's some kind of lag in the green dot interface.

I'm not saying this was done here, but, depending on the message board software, if a person is permanently banned, the admin can change their PW and log into their account.

Got it! Thanks for the hint(s)...I hate being out of the loop:tongue_smilie:!

Me too!! Apparently I'm quite gifted at being nosy!! :D

I didn't know of any bannings prior to this thread. To find out, I went looking for any closed threads by going back through the day page by page. Once I found the closed thread, I scanned through it until I found who was banned. While the thread was open I only read the first few posts.

I'm not saying this was done here, but, depending on the message board software, if a person is permanently banned, the admin can change their PW and log into their account.

On the boards that I've helped moderate/admin? I could reset people's passwords, but it would email them a new, randomly generated password. I never knew what the password was, and I couldn't log in to their account.