Menu

Are these two names too similar?

Not too close IMO! The names go very well together :)

My nephews' names all begin with the same first letter, same first syllable sound - like: Charlie, Chance and Chad.

To us, in hindsight LOL, that's more indicative of "too close" than are Charlie and Callie.

You at least have two different first syllable sounds!

As a sibling myself with a sound alike name....YES they are too similar. My name is similar to one sister and one brother.

I have always hated it. It felt like my parents couldn't come up with a name for me, so they just went with the sound they liked and changed the letters around. I do not get offended easily, so it isn't that kind of an issue. I just felt 'rubber stamped' from their names.

My 3 kids all have a hard K sound at the beginning but it wasn't on purpose.

We have a Ka, Chr, and a Ca. The first two, we didn't even think about the fact that they started with a similar sound, because we don't pronounce them that way. Other people will slur the Chr into a K sound, but we don't. The last child, Ca probably wouldn't have happened but she is named after a person who is significant in our lives. They all end with very different sounds so there is no confusion.

I forgot to add... if you say they are too similar, you are obligated to give me an alternate boy name suggestion! We are desperate!

Any guidelines??

Names that made our short list:

Joshua

Malachi

Eli

Samuel

Joel

Nathaniel

Zachariah

At this point, I'll take anything! ;) DH vetoes everything. So, at this point I'm figuring the first time he says yes to a name I can tolerate, I'll try to get used to it!

Does your dh have some names that he likes? That may help for us to get a feel for what he wants.

I personally think they're too close. They share too many letters for me ... the beginning initials, ending sounds, and the A, L, and I in the middle. Obviously you like those letters, but it should be possible to find something with the same "feel" without necessarily the same exact sounds.

I would need to know what you like about Charlie to give really good suggestions, though. Callie and Charlie are both nickname-y and informal, which would be a good starting point to figure out your "style". But for all I know they could be short for Charlemagne and Callista, which would make for a very different list!

Feel free to PM me if you don't want to post full names on the board. I'm a total name nerd. I love making lists and figuring out styles. :D

Does your dh have some names that he likes? That may help for us to get a feel for what he wants.

He likes Matthew. That's our four year old's name. ;)

I don't think they are that close, personally. But, some of my favorite boy names:

Hunter

Owen

Marshal

Jackson

Jeremiah

Silas

I like Owen, actually. Partly because I just read "A Prayer for Owen Meany".

I like names that are classic but not heavy sounding. Our current kids are Molly, Matthew, and Callie. All have been names in existence for 100 years (or more) but they seem shorter and sweeter to me than Alexandra or Maxwell. I would prefer not a top ten name, but Matthew was #7 and we went with it anyways, so that wouldn't necessarily be a total deal breaker.

Our top girl contenders are Cora Beth or Charlotte ???. But we aren't finding out sex... so we have to come up with both!!

I guess something short, simple, familiar, and relaxed? Two syllables. Not mega popular or trendy. Here are my very select suggestions. ;)

Eli

Lucas/Luke

Jesse

Noah (is #7)

Andrew (similar to Matthew, maybe DH would like it)

Leo

Nathan/Nate

The Matthews I know have brothers named Caleb, Scott, and Austin. The Molly I know has a brother named Jacob, but that's #1, so I don't think it's what you're looking for.

I think Cora and Charlotte are really sweet. If you want more suggestions for girls, how about

Lucy

Nora

Sadie

Lola

Edited by SunD
girls!

Too similiar for me. I have 3 siblings and all of our names start with C and sound pretty similar. I hated it. I didn't even want my kids to have the same first letter. ;)

I have my kids names in my sig.

Some other names I'll never get to use..

Elliot

Bryan

Robert

Seth

Christian

Christopher

Wyatt

Jace

Quinton/Quinn

I forgot to add... if you say they are too similar, you are obligated to give me an alternate boy name suggestion! We are desperate!

No advice, but I just wanted to say that we are in the same boat. We're expecting baby #4 in April and have NO idea what we are doing name-wise. We've bounced around a few boy names, but DH and I don't really agree on any. And we have zero ideas for girl names. (We don't know what we're having.) We might be naming this kid a few weeks after the birth. :lol:

Too close. I would call kids by the wrong name all the time. It really is upsetting to be called the wrong name, even on accident. My Mom called me Shirley (her sister) all the time; then she would skip my name and call me my sister's name, she is younger.

I like

Owen

Andrew

Eli

Michael

Noah

James

Jordan

Or, if you want a "k" sound

Clay/Klay

Cooper

Chris, Christopher, Christian

Too close.

Growing up, I knew a family with a Caleb and an Abel. Both those kids were always called Cable.

I named my kids very differently (partly in remembrance of this) - I still sometimes call them by each other's names - but at least I don't constantly combine two of them. :tongue_smilie:

I think they sound nice together!

I like

Ian

Scott

Mark

Very boring, run-of-the-mill names. I think that comes from those kinds of names being popular when I was a kid. A child named something "too biblical" would get teased, for example. Not so much anymore.

PS--A df of mine has a dd named Lorraine Charlotte. She goes by Raine. :001_smile: (All her kiddos have a name that means something concrete, even if it's spelled differently, and the name they go by has 5 letters.)