Menu

Every Single Year...Ignorant Superintendent!

Every year, a letter is sent to homeschooling parents.

Dear Home School Parent: (my name)

The School District of (city name)'s Annual portolio reviews will be held on the following dates and times:

(three dates, three hours each, middle of June)

*All meetings will take place in the Main Office area of (highschool and address).

Each review lasts approximately 15 minutes per family. Please bring the signed evaluators report, log of instructional time, standardized test results, and a small sample of student work. If you have any questions or concerns my contact information is listed below.

Sincerely,

(name of superintendent)

Coordinator of Counseling &

Home Schooling Programs

He's not the Coordinator of Counseling and Home Schooling Programs. He's the District Superintendent. :glare: I'm not required by the state to have an interview of any length with him. I have till the last day of June to have our portfolio in the district office. Every year, his secretaries try to be difficult. He refuses to be present after his "interview dates". His secretaries insist that they can't "guarantee" that it will make it to his hands. We may drop it off, but it's not their business to make sure it gets to him. I told them that it doesn't matter...law just says that it has to be turned into the office. Every year, several of us write out a piece of paper for the secretary to sign saying that we turned it in on a said date. Every year, the secretary adds the comment that she is not responsible for it to the note. Every year, there is no problem other than many of us get a grumble about how we've included too many samples of schoolwork :001_huh:

This is the same superintendent that tried to pull the "cyber schools are stealing money from the district". What money? They were never getting money for my homeschooled kid in the first place! Then they start up a cyber school, offer a bunch of courses for which they have no teachers to contact for the majority, and it's obvious the man in charge of it has no idea how to run it. It's merely a means of getting money for our kids and zero support. No, thanks! PA Cyber has a proven records and a system in place.

I'm not required by the state to have an interview of any length with him.

:iagree:

We're not required by the state to have an interview at all.

His secretaries insist that they can't "guarantee" that it will make it to his hands. We may drop it off, but it's not their business to make sure it gets to him.

Gotta say, I love my "disposable portfolio". I can take it to the super's office, drop it off, get a receipt, and not care whether I get it back or not. Ugh.

Might be fun for you to do it by mail this year and see the secretary have to decide whether to sign the delivery form or not... I wonder if the super knows she's doing this? Surely it's her JOB to be responsible for stuff given to her that's supposed to get to him?

His secretaries insist that they can't "guarantee" that it will make it to his hands. We may drop it off, but it's not their business to make sure it gets to him.

I guess I'm feeling really snarky and annoyed for you because I would have a really difficult time not replying with a combination of :001_huh: and :confused:, "Wow! I thought you were his secretary. You must have picked the wrong line of work!" Then I would leave with a cheerful wave and a smile. :seeya:

Buh-bye. :auto:

I would be so tempted to mail it to the super and pay the extra $5 for Adult Signature Restricted Delivery. It limits "delivery to a specific addressee or authorized agent who is 21 years of age or older" who must "provide a driver's license, passport, or other government-issued photo identification that lists age or date of birth and provide a signature for receipt of the mailpiece." :D :auto:

Or, of course, just deliver it as usual, roll your eyes, and ignore the drama. ;)

If the state law is saying 1 thing and he is demanding urther information and follow ups along with the attitude of his staff etc is there not a higher up to file a complaint with? I get he is the district superintendant but doesn't he have a boss/high up as well?

*shrug* the school board? This is something that would be between him and the state though. He's the ONLY one that can do anything and he makes it very difficult to get things done.

If the state law is saying 1 thing and he is demanding urther information and follow ups along with the attitude of his staff etc is there not a higher up to file a complaint with? I get he is the district superintendant but doesn't he have a boss/high up as well?

PHEA (Pennsylvania Home Educators' Association) apparently did a survey of SD policies in PA several years ago. I was told they received a 90+% response rate. Over half of districts had written policies that were not consistent with the law. In PA it isn't uncommon for districts to ask for things above and beyond what the law requires. WHen one of the PHEA board members took the info to the state legislature, they shrugged it off from what I understand. It is extremely frustrating.

That's why I'm not a believer that overcomplying is beneficial. PA is already so tightly regulated and yet many districts continually ask for (or demand) more than the law requires.

Edited by Momof3littles

In a situation like that, I'd definitely just mail it certified mail, return receipt requested, and refuse to ever deal with them in person.

I'd also make a point of spreading the word to local homeschoolers letting them know that they certainly don't have to meet with the superintendent in person or deal with any of them in person.

Oh, methinks you need to "comply" with his request this year. Go. Wear a ridiculous outfit. Say incredibly annoying things. Bug the hell out of him for your 15 minutes. Put him on the spot. Ask him questions that he could not know the answer to. Hand him a copy of state law with a written explanation of why his request of out of line with state law. Drown him in paper by carting in boxes full of paper and recycle art projects as your portfolio. Toss a mummified chicken in with the portfolio. Leave and laugh on the way home. Consider making it a youtube. It could go viral. If not you, some other homeschooler who would relish the project. :001_smile:

Edited by kijipt

I wonder if the super knows she's doing this? Surely it's her JOB to be responsible for stuff given to her that's supposed to get to him?

:iagree:

I'm just imagining how this would work in a law office.

Client: Could you see that (Attorney) gets this?

Legal Secretary: Uh, I'm not responsible for seeing that he receives anything. You can leave it with me, but I can't guarantee he'll get it.

:lol::lol::lol:

Oh, methinks you need to "comply" with his request this year. Go. Wear a ridiculous outfit. Say incredibly annoying things. Bug the hell out of him for your 15 minutes. Put him on the spot. Ask him questions that he could not know the answer to. Hand him a copy of state law with a written explanation of why his request of out of line with state law. Drown him in paper by carting in boxes full of paper and recycle art projects as your portfolio. Toss a mummified chicken in with the portfolio. Leave and laugh on the way home. Consider making it a youtube. It could go viral. If not you, some other homeschooler who would relish the project. :001_smile:

LMAO....now that is pretty funny. I can picture you bringing him in a copy of the PA Home Ed Law and asking him to please show you where in the law it says that PA home educators are supposed to meet with the superintendents on an annual basis as you've read and re-read the law yourself and haven't seen such a provision anywhere in the law.

Handing him a carton of loose papers to go through with a mummified chicken at the very bottom.

Telling him you will be referred to by your title, Ms. Supervisor, not "Homeschool Parent" in all future correspondence, thank you very much.

Asking him when the PDE appointed a "Coordinator of Counseling & Home Schooling Programs," as you've never heard of such a thing and is it unique to his district?

Asking him if you can lodge a formal complaint against his secretaries, while you are there, who often tell you that they cannot promise to get him paperwork and that he might want to consider hiring more efficient secretaries.

Make sure you wear a pro-homeschooling/anti-public school teeshirt to the meeting. One of those "I survived public school, that's why I homeschool" type things. Maybe bring along your husband and have him wear a kilt.

Not that you'd really do these things, but it sure is funny to think about! :D

Edited by NanceXToo

LMAO....now that is pretty funny. I can picture you bringing him in a copy of the PA Home Ed Law and asking him to please show you where in the law it says that PA home educators are supposed to meet with the superintendents on an annual basis as you've read and re-read the law yourself and haven't seen such a provision anywhere in the law.

Handing him a carton of loose papers to go through with a mummified chicken at the very bottom.

Telling him you will be referred to by your title, Ms. Supervisor, not "Homeschool Parent" in all future correspondence, thank you very much.

Asking him when the PDE appointed a "Coordinator of Counseling & Home Schooling Programs," as you've never heard of such a thing and is it unique to his district?

Asking him if you can lodge a formal complaint against his secretaries, while you are there, who often tell you that they cannot promise to get him paperwork and that he might want to consider hiring more efficient secretaries.

Make sure you wear a pro-homeschooling/anti-public school teeshirt to the meeting. One of those "I survived public school, that's why I homeschool" type things. Maybe bring along your husband and have him wear a kilt.

Not that you'd really do these things, but it sure is funny to think about! :D

:lol:

I'd love to see the video of this!

:lol: at this thread.

DH and I have heard of several districts asking for "all" of the materials used because they weren't satisfied with the "samples" that the PA law requires. I often joke with DH that it is the one extra legal request I may feel compelled to comply with...it could be fun to ask them where we should back the truck up to in order to unload :tongue_smilie: It would be great fun to carry in several large rubbermaid bins, preferably containing old dissection materials, and perhaps now I should include owl pellets :D Thanks for that idea, Pauline ;)

Mail it certified mail. That way, you have a signed receipt, and you don't have to deal with them at all.

I agree; I would mail it every year and not give them the satisfaction of inconveniencing you with "The Interview." They can ask you to abide by PA law, and have zero right to ask ANYthing more. Period. My philosophy is to stay under the radar as much as possible, so I'm willing to do LITTLE things they ask that are no skin off my teeth at all, but if it's an inconvenience (which an non-required "interview" certainly is!), I would draw the line. I think it's either just a convenience for them, or a way to throw their imaginary weight around and try to intimidate homeschool parents.

Are you a member of HSLDA? With a district like that, it wouldn't be a bad idea.

Thank goodness my district hasn't given me a hard time at all and the secretaries are really friendly.

:lol: at this thread.

DH and I have heard of several districts asking for "all" of the materials used because they weren't satisfied with the "samples" that the PA law requires. I often joke with DH that it is the one extra legal request I may feel compelled to comply with...it could be fun to ask them where we should back the truck up to in order to unload :tongue_smilie: It would be great fun to carry in several large rubbermaid bins, preferably containing old dissection materials, and perhaps now I should include owl pellets :D Thanks for that idea, Pauline ;)

My district was one of the ones that tried to do that my first year reporting! I told them I wasn't going to do it as it wasn't what the law required and they backed down.

They left me alone the two subsequent years.

I'm hoping they don't give me a problem this year. Sarah Pearce leaving and Suzanne Tallman taking her place and deciding to change around all the wording on the PDE website really threw things for a loop and half the districts around here now think there's some new homeschool law requirements and I'm half afraid my district is going to try getting uppity again this year and start making unreasonable demands again...we'll have to see.

What kills me is that my district is like the third worst in the area and still "below state average" and "on warning" when it comes to their PSSA scores so you'd think they'd be so busy worrying about the hundreds of students IN their schools that they wouldn't have time to worry about my one homeschooled kid (of reporting age) (and who scored GREAT on the standardized test I had to turn in last year) but I'm sure they'll still find time to hassle me. :P

I'm tempted to find things to include with my port if they do. Maybe help my daughter write a persuasive essay on why superintendents shouldn't spend so much time worrying about homeschooled kids when their public schooled kids are consistently failing PSSA's year after year and the homeschooled kids are consistently doing fine or something, I don't know....

His secretaries insist that they can't "guarantee" that it will make it to his hands. We may drop it off, but it's not their business to make sure it gets to him. I told them that it doesn't matter...law just says that it has to be turned into the office. Every year, several of us write out a piece of paper for the secretary to sign saying that we turned it in on a said date. Every year, the secretary adds the comment that she is not responsible for it to the note.

So.... :001_huh: Do they give the postman an "I'm not responsible" note every time the superintendent's mail is delivered?

:001_rolleyes: There's just no excuse for being deliberately difficult.

Cat

So.... :001_huh: Do they give the postman an "I'm not responsible" note every time the superintendent's mail is delivered?

:001_rolleyes: There's just no excuse for being deliberately difficult.

Cat

I know. Maybe the OP should should tell them, "And I'm not responsible if I smack you in the face either, my kids are homeschooled and polite so I'm not used to so much backtalk and stupidity from people!"

Certified mail, or any other method that requires a signature, has the weakness that someone has to sign. You read that right... in some situations it's better not to require a signature. With parties that may simply refuse to sign, it can be better to simply send with proof of delivery.

But that's not what I'd do in the OP's situation. Instead, I'd go with my form, have the secretary sign and add her ditsy little note as she wished, then scribble her addition out right in front of her, leaving no trace, and putting my initials next to the scribble.

ETA: Another thing to do is to send a letter to the superintendent, copying his direct supervisor or the person above him who matters, attaching a copy of the law specifying delivery requirements and documenting the behavior of the secretaries at his office in refusing to accept the delivery on his behalf. State in the letter that you have until the end of the month, that you don't know why he is attempting to rewrite the law for his own convenience-- or alternatively why his secretaries haven't been correctly instructed on their duties-- and attach a copy of his latest letter too for good measure.

Edited by Iucounu

My district was one of the ones that tried to do that my first year reporting! I told them I wasn't going to do it as it wasn't what the law required and they backed down.

They left me alone the two subsequent years.

I'm hoping they don't give me a problem this year. Sarah Pearce leaving and Suzanne Tallman taking her place and deciding to change around all the wording on the PDE website really threw things for a loop and half the districts around here now think there's some new homeschool law requirements and I'm half afraid my district is going to try getting uppity again this year and start making unreasonable demands again...we'll have to see.

What kills me is that my district is like the third worst in the area and still "below state average" and "on warning" when it comes to their PSSA scores so you'd think they'd be so busy worrying about the hundreds of students IN their schools that they wouldn't have time to worry about my one homeschooled kid (of reporting age) (and who scored GREAT on the standardized test I had to turn in last year) but I'm sure they'll still find time to hassle me. :P

I'm tempted to find things to include with my port if they do. Maybe help my daughter write a persuasive essay on why superintendents shouldn't spend so much time worrying about homeschooled kids when their public schooled kids are consistently failing PSSA's year after year and the homeschooled kids are consistently doing fine or something, I don't know....

It make me want to :banghead: I moved to a new district that historically has been pretty easy to work with, and what I have heard is this past year they suddenly started asking for things above and beyond the law. There was a change in personnel, so it all changed rapidly I guess. They have generated their own evaluator form that they are trying to make all HSers in their district use, and it includes info that goes above and beyond the law. They are also trying to obligate all HSers to use a standard binder size, labeled a specific way, etc. I wonder if that came out of the PDE changes where S. Tallman stated that a "suggested" format was a "3 inch binder." I think later she changed it to a "large 3 ring binder." I seriously think they looked at the PDE's new "interpretations" and decided the law changed or something. I think they are taking PDE's "suggestions" for parents as "suggestions" that as a SD they can set a format for the port.

I am bracing myself for our first year of official filing. We won't be overcomplying. I won't be using the district's own form for evaluators. My port format may not be exactly what they are "requiring." I will deliver everything RRR by mail. And I guess having an attorney ready to go if I need him/her.

It make me want to :banghead: I moved to a new district that historically has been pretty easy to work with, and what I have heard is this past year they suddenly started asking for things above and beyond the law. There was a change in personnel, so it all changed rapidly I guess. They have generated their own evaluator form that they are trying to make all HSers in their district use, and it includes info that goes above and beyond the law. They are also trying to obligate all HSers to use a standard binder size, labeled a specific way, etc. I wonder if that came out of the PDE changes where S. Tallman stated that a "suggested" format was a "3 inch binder." I think later she changed it to a "large 3 ring binder." I seriously think they looked at the PDE's new "interpretations" and decided the law changed or something. I think they are taking PDE's "suggestions" for parents as "suggestions" that as a SD they can set a format for the port.

I am bracing myself for our first year of official filing. We won't be overcomplying. I won't be using the district's own form for evaluators. My port format may not be exactly what they are "requiring." I will deliver everything RRR by mail. And I guess having an attorney ready to go if I need him/her.

Ugh yeah I think that's exactly what it came out of and exactly what happened. I hate it, too. I wasn't nervous to file last year but I kind of am this year only because I really don't WANT a hassle. I'm prepared to submit the same more minimal portfolio I have the past few years and to make every effort to stand my ground, too, but none of us really WANT to have to fight with our districts. Of course that is stressful. But what's the alternative? Letting them walk all over us and demand more than they're entitled to, letting them set precedents that we always have to give them more and more, making more and more work for ourselves each year? Blah. That's no good either. We just have to see what this year brings, I guess.

Oh, in fact, get this. I have a letter dated July 29th, 2011, after Tallman changed the PDE website, from my superintendent. He wrote:

"I have received and reviewed your Affidavit of the Supervisor of a Home Education Program for (student's name), effective August 29, 2011 and it appears to be in order."

Yeah, okay, whatever. But then he went on to say...(emphasis will be mine)...

"In accordance with the NEW Home Schooling Law (Act 169), the following requirements must also be met:"

NEW homeschooling law?!?! What? Thanks, Suzanne.

He then went on to write:

"1. A portfolio of the student's work must be maintained to include an instructional activity log identifying by title the reading materials used."

- Now I'm not sure what he means by "instructional activity log"- the wording of the law, of course, does not say anything about an "instructional activity log." It says "a log, made contemporaneously with the instruction, which designates by title the reading materials used,"

Now, I personally have always interpreted this to mean, basically, a book log. A log of reading materials. I keep a log designating by title the reading materials used. I keep said log contemporaneously with the instruction. I still don't interpret it to mean that the log is supposed to be an ACTIVITY log even though I know that it's sort of a controversial topic and the poorly worded law stinks to begin with and that some homeschoolers DO interpret the log to mean you're supposed to jot down your activities each day. He's always accepted my reading log but maybe now he thinks that the law has changed and that I have to give him a daily activity log now. Ugh I hope not. Regardless it bothers me that he thinks there's a "new" law and that he can word it however he wants.

The rest of the stuff he outlined all sounded fine but that one concerned me, I have a feeling when I send him in my usual samples and log of reading materials, he's going to write me and be like "You have to send me an "instructional activity log too telling me what you did each day."

ETA: Of course, I could have written or called back then to clarify but I purposely decided not to. I wanted to be able to send him my same minimal portfolio and be able to act like I had no idea that he wanted me to send him anything further. I hoped that by then all the "new" b.s. would die down or be cleared up, that I could send him what I'd always send him, and that he'd either accept it, or that if he questioned it, I could act ignorant that he'd expected anything else and stand my ground then.

ETA 2: There was something new introduced to the law but for homeschoolers as far as I know it only affected WHO could homeschool, like what crimes we couldn't have been convicted of etc. Nothing about what our portfolios had to include etc.

Edited by NanceXToo

Send him a response, even at this later date, referring to his previous letter (and including a copy); including a printout of the law stating the requirements; stating that you don't know what relevant "new" law he's referring to, as the relevant portion of Act 169, attached, was passed in 1988, so the portfolio requirements are the same as they've been since at least 1988; citing specifically to the language at issue; and stating that exactly as required by the statute, you're planning to submit a reading log together with the other portfolio requirements (perhaps here using quotation marks around the listed items for good measure).

I would seriously send such a letter, and copy his entire chain of command. Then invite him to contact you if some other law of which you're unaware actually sets forth the requirements for your homeschooling portfolio, and that otherwise you're going to do what Act 169 requires, same as last year.

ETA 2: There was something new introduced to the law but for homeschoolers as far as I know it only affected WHO could homeschool, like what crimes we couldn't have been convicted of etc. Nothing about what our portfolios had to include etc.

Yep, that's all that changed as far as I know. You can't HS with certain criminal convictions, etc.

THese new changes to PDE's site are really a sore spot with me. They just added new layers of confusion to things.

I think a lot of districts think the law changed, just as you mentioned. I should PM you with my experience with corresponding with PDE.

Edited by Momof3littles

Send him a response, even at this later date, referring to his previous letter (and including a copy); including a printout of the law stating the requirements; stating that you don't know what relevant "new" law he's referring to, as the relevant portion of Act 169, attached, was passed in 1988, so the portfolio requirements are the same as they've been since at least 1988; citing specifically to the language at issue; and stating that exactly as required by the statute, you're planning to submit a reading log together with the other portfolio requirements (perhaps here using quotation marks around the listed items for good measure).

I would seriously send such a letter, and copy his entire chain of command. Then invite him to contact you if some other law of which you're unaware actually sets forth the requirements for your homeschooling portfolio, and that otherwise you're going to do what Act 169 requires, same as last year.

What changed according to CHAP's website was this:

On June 30, 2011, Governor Tom Corbett signed into law House Bill 1352, which made numerous changes in PennsylvaniaĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s education law, including one that affects home education programs. Section 13-1327.1 of Pennsylvania Statutes Annotated, the statute governing home education programs, requires that the affidavit filed by the parent or guardian with the superintendent include a sworn statement that all adults living in the home and persons having legal custody of a child being homeschooled have not been convicted of certain crimes listed in Section 1-111(e) within the past five years. The recent legislation adds more crimes to the list in Section 1-111(e) that will prevent a home education program from being conducted. These additional crimes are as follows:

• Section 2910 (relating to luring a child into a motor vehicle or structure);
  • Section 3124.2 (relating to institutional sexual assault);
  • Section 3129 (relating to sexual intercourse with animal);
  • Section 6318 (relating to unlawful contact with minor);
  • Section 6319 (relating to solicitation of minors to traffic drugs); and
  • Section 6320 (relating to sexual exploitation of children).

Under the new law, included with the list of crimes now specified in Section 1-111(e) are other crimes similar in nature Ă¢â‚¬Å“under the laws or former laws of the United States or one of its territories or possessions, another state, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico or a foreign nation, or under a former law of this Commonwealth.Ă¢â‚¬

The new law goes into effect 90 days after being approved by the governor or on October 1, 2011. http://www.hslda.org/hs/state/pa/201107200.asp

Maybe when I submit my portfolio this year, I will also include a cover letter that says something like:

On such and such a date you sent me a letter, attached, referring to a "new" homeschooling law and detailing what portfolio requirements you expected to see in accordance with said "new" law. Please note that Act 169 remains unchanged since it was passed in 1988 in regard to portfolio requirements, so while I am unsure by the wording of your letter whether you were looking for anything different this year, I am submitting what is required in Act 169, the same as I have the last few years.

The only thing "new" in the law this year is House Bill 1352 which makes numerous changes to Pennsylvania's Education Law. Where that specifically affects homeschoolers is as follows: (and then I will copy and paste the above).

For further clarification, please contact Suzanne Tallman at the PDE (? should I put that part?), and then contact me if there is another law of which I am unaware that sets forth new requirements for my homeschooling portfolio.

Thank you,

So and so.

Thoughts? Anyone? Pauline? :) By the way, Pauline, do you have a new Affidavit sample on your site now that we have to use new wording, speaking of House Bill 1352?? :)

I think it would be fun to do a unit study surrounding PA homeschool law. You talk about civics/history - when the law was passed and what process laws go through to be changed and what those changes were (or weren't), math - using all kinds of computations on percentages of districts and how erroneously interpret the law, logic-covering the fallacies of the district personnel when they try to ask for things that do not exist and worry about homeschoolers when their own schools are failing, language arts-reading comprehension showing your children can read the law and understand it (even though the adults in the SD can't) and writing summaries incorporating new vocabulary, science- difference between data, facts, and inference ...

Then make that the focus of the portfolio. :lol: (Okay, I get that it probably wouldn't go over too well, but I would sure be tempted. So glad I live in a low reg. state.)

And I have had a secretaries here pull the same thing about not signing for receipt of anything when I needed confirmation I delivered something to the district special education office. :tongue_smilie:

Could someone give me this Suzanne's website. I've never heard of it before (and I've been in PA for six years!)

The super pretty much leaves us alone. It's just annoying that he wastes papers and postage on this carp. Our old district only insisted on the port the first year and then only the evaluator's letter the subsequent years. I ignore the SD developed affidavit and evaluator forms also. I have my own for the former and my evaluator has her own for the latter.

Could someone give me this Suzanne's website. I've never heard of it before (and I've been in PA for six years!)

The super pretty much leaves us alone. It's just annoying that he wastes papers and postage on this carp. Our old district only insisted on the port the first year and then only the evaluator's letter the subsequent years. I ignore the SD developed affidavit and evaluator forms also. I have my own for the former and my evaluator has her own for the latter.

It's the PDE website. Suzanne Tallman took over for Sarah Pearce as the homeschooling liaison (cough, some liaison, she doesn't seem to be helping homeschoolers any). She changed the website up and made all sorts of "suggestions" on the Home Education and Private Tutoring webpage that were basically her own interpretation of the law and that are now going to have all these different districts thinking either that 1) the law changed or that 2) they can start asking for more than what they used to.

For example, her Portfolio page:

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt/community/overview_of_homeschooling/20312/portfolio/973912

She says:

"The log must demonstrate that the home education program provided a minimum of either (1) one hundred eighty (180) days of instruction or (2) of nine hundred (900) hours of instruction per year at the elementary level (grades kindergarten to 6), or nine hundred ninety (990) hours per year at the secondary level (grades 7-12). See 24 P.S. § 13-1327.1 ©. If you choose to document days, you do not need to specify the number of hours each day."

Why must THE LOG demonstrate that? The portfolio must demonstrate that, sure. By including an attendance statement, a calendar, etc. But many of us interpret "the log" as just a log of reading materials and many districts have accepted that in the past. Now she's making it sound like "the log" has to be more than that and districts, like mine, who were always content to accept "a log which designates by title the reading materials used" are asking for "instructional activity logs" now.

She says:

"Example Format Parents sometimes ask what the portfolio should look like. One suggestion for maintaining the portfolio is to use a big three-ring binder, inserting dividers for (1) the log, (2) the results of the standardized test (for grades 3, 5 and 8), (3) the evaluation, and (4) each subject taught."

A BIG three ring binder? Really? Why a BIG one? I submit 3-5 samples per subject. It fits just fine in a little 1" binder. In fact, some years I've just given them a FOLDER. :P She's making it sound like we have to give them a lot and when the districts read this, they feel like they're entitled to it.

There were other things on other areas of the site, a bunch of people had a bunch of complaints about it and I don't remember what/where they all were on the site, but I'm telling you, she put everybody into a tizzy and it remains to be seen what's going to come of it this year.

Pertaining to the "instructional activity log"...

I'd be tempted to get a nice sized piece of wood and label it with a nicely decorated card "Instructional Activity Log".

If you really wanted to get under his skin you could include a list of activities for which the log could be used (wood-carving, dam building, etc), along with a list of how-to books on each topic. Be sure to tie it all up with a big, pretty bow.

If he's going to be a PITA, you can be a smart a$$ :lol:

Wow! Sorry all you PA people have to deal with junk like this. :001_unsure: Other than submitting a letter when I begin to homeschool each child, I have nothing to do with my state afterwards. I do all my reviews through a reputable umbrella school.

Wistful sigh. I WISH it were that easy here!

I'd be tempted to get a nice sized piece of wood and label it with a nicely decorated card "Instructional Activity Log".

If you really wanted to get under his skin you could include a list of activities for which the log could be used (wood-carving, dam building, etc), along with a list of how-to books on each topic. Be sure to tie it all up with a big, pretty bow.

:lol: SOmehow I don't think that would fly but it would be fun in the meantime ;)

:lol::lol::lol: I love it!!!

By the way, Pauline, do you have a new Affidavit sample on your site now that we have to use new wording, speaking of House Bill 1352?? :)

Good question. So I looked it up. The majority of sample affidavits I have on my site or link to are fine, as they only reference the law by title, and don't list the details of the crimes. The only one I could find that is now out of date is

(wait for it...)

the PDE's version. :glare:

Which was out of date anyway because of its immunization list.

SO - I noted the new problem with the PDE"s affidavit (I already noted the immunization issue), and updated my law text page with the new version of the crimes list law.

I'm just glad I live in a really homeschooler friendly district in PA. Nothing has changed here. It's still as simple and easy as it always has been. Get an intent form to notarize in the summer and submit it with plans. Homeschool as we want (keeping a calendar of days counted off and a log of reading materials). Have our own evaluator (a personal friend who also homeschools) look over our portfolio (8 - 10 samples of each subject). Submit his form and our portfolio and wait for the phone call to pick it up.

I'm past official testing years, but always put test scores up front since mine do far better than their public schooled peers. I still do that with our ACT scores. ;)

Super easy.

I think if our school asked me for an interview I'd gladly do one and start with those ACT scores... or other testing scores from earlier years. Perhaps we could have a discussion on what to use to try to improve the overall education for students in our school. It'd probably take longer than 15 minutes though.

Good question. So I looked it up. The majority of sample affidavits I have on my site or link to are fine, as they only reference the law by title, and don't list the details of the crimes. The only one I could find that is now out of date is

(wait for it...)

the PDE's version. :glare:

Which was out of date anyway because of its immunization list.

SO - I noted the new problem with the PDE"s affidavit (I already noted the immunization issue), and updated my law text page with the new version of the crimes list law.

haha. I have a tune going through my head now. It goes: Isn't it ironic, don't ya think?

Thoughts? Anyone?
I think it's great! I don't know if I'd put the bit about contacting Suzanne in there, though, if she's off base on the log requirements.
Why must THE LOG demonstrate that? The portfolio must demonstrate that, sure.
I don't think the portfolio must demonstrate that either. The way I read it, the law requires that you spend so many hours, and your certified affidavit certifies compliance. That's it. And though the reading log must be made contemporaneously, there's no requirement that you record the date on which a child read something either.

Unfortunately, when a state functionary decides to overstep her bounds this way, it can set you up for a hassle if you just stick to your guns, since the state can take action that forces you to resort to inconvenient appeals or even a court case. That's why I often try to take pre-emptive action: calling the error prominently to everyone's attention before the bad effects occur. Leaving a paper trail is essential, of course, but the problem here is that the system bureaucrats are setting themselves up to do what you don't want them to do, and they are more likely to get defensive and retrench than they are to simply see things your way.