Menu

Atypical Homeschoolers

How about Hellenic Neopagan UU with long gray hair who wears primarily long denim skirts with tennis shoes because they're comfortable?:D I'm considered very conservative in many ways among our group, though I think I'm more of a moderate politically. Outwardly, I look like the stereotypical evangelical Christian homeschooler (I've even been known to own a denim jumper in my time;).

I often describe myself as the "fuzz at the end of the string that hangs off the fringe" of any group in which I'm involved. I can't even manage to be a mainstream Pagan or UU :lol:. I have no interest in much of anything related to Wicca or Goddess spirituality and refuse to attend any gathering that advertises itself with any intentional misspelling of the words "girl," "woman," "women" or any other term related to female humans.

Oh, and I also have only one child, don't drive a minivan or SUV, don't have a phone that can even take pictures much less is smart, don't have an ipad, don't sew my own clothes or bake my own bread and wouldn't have the first idea of how to raise a chicken.

Anyone coming to revoke my card yet?:)

Let's see. I've worked my way into being a fairly devout Catholic, but I will always have Taoist leanings. One of my very best friends is Baptist. She and I often have debates on religion and manage to stay great friends.

We homeschool for academic reasons. We are not particularly rigorous, but are classical.

We have an only child.

I'm an ex-firefighter and ex-cop.

I was raised Jewish too....still consider myself Jewish, although I am born again Christian. My kids consider themselves Jewish Christians as well. I know a few UU who were raised Jewish, but they don't homeschool.

We don't go to church, but we hang out with lots of pastors...lol

:001_smile: I am not biologically Jewish, but I was raised that way. I considered "converting" officially and started the process, but I had a huge philosophical issue that I couldn't get over, so here I am. :lol:

KungFuPanda, I am dying of jealousy about your group. Really? That is so awesome.

I don't use Star Wars or Star Trek as much as most of you. I'm more of a Harry Potter/LOTR nerd. My dh makes fun of me for making every math problem related to the two and from quoting from the books. Many homeschoolers I know think Harry Potter is evil, so I'm pretty sure that makes me "odd". :tongue_smilie:

Six pages of atypical kind of makes you wonder what is typical, doesn't it? ;)

We are fairly atypical I guess. We are pretty mainstream - watch television, play on computers and Wii, go to movies. Politically liberal but not very involved politically. Religiously agnostic. Fairly relaxed homeschoolers using only firmly secular curriculum and not necessarily ones marketed to homeschoolers. I have nothing against public schools and my oldest has always gone to ps, we homeschool because of my son's specific needs.

I'm sure in other areas of the country we would be considered VERY atypical but up here in NJ, we fit in pretty well.

:001_smile: I am not biologically Jewish, but I was raised that way. I considered "converting" officially and started the process, but I had a huge philosophical issue that I couldn't get over, so here I am. :lol:

KungFuPanda, I am dying of jealousy about your group. Really? That is so awesome.

I don't use Star Wars or Star Trek as much as most of you. I'm more of a Harry Potter/LOTR nerd. My dh makes fun of me for making every math problem related to the two and from quoting from the books. Many homeschoolers I know think Harry Potter is evil, so I'm pretty sure that makes me "odd". :tongue_smilie:

Did you see my post not too long ago about attending Harry Potter science day? Or my son's desire for me to turn our school plans next year into hogwarts type courses? I use star wars in our lessons too. (While teaching literary analysis and structure of a story I used star wars to make my point)

Based on posts on this forum I think there is just as many that love HP as those that love Star Wars, and I know a few people have posted their desire to redo their school rooms to be hogwarts-like, or offer courses like those in HP.

I often describe myself as the "fuzz at the end of the string that hangs off the fringe"...

Oh, and I also have only one child, don't drive a minivan or SUV, don't have a phone that can even take pictures much less is smart, don't have an ipad, don't sew my own clothes or bake my own bread and wouldn't have the first idea of how to raise a chicken.

YES!!!! Me too! Fringe Fuzz!!!

(only one kid, no car at all, no smart phone or ipad, can't bake bread, can't even sew on a button, but I DO really want to learn about raising chickens)

"We homeschool because we believe that public and private schools are designed to create obedient conformists."

This. But it's only part of the reason, and I think it's really one of my reasons. Don't know if dh would agree!

However, dh does agree that we (the kids and I) have a "cush" life, as he puts it, when he hears about all the field trips we go on! :D

I'm not sure there is a "typical" homeschooler/homeschool family anymore. I have a great friend who uses BJU (Bob Jones) exclusively, but that's because she gets it for free! However, she makes sure they get all their assignments done that day to the point that if they've been gone all day, she makes her kids start and finish that night. That would never work in my household!

We also sleep in often, the kids and I. And I let my 13yo sleep 'til she wakes up, which lately is about 10:00am.

I do use a "boxed curriculum" because I love it already scheduled and all the neat books, but we take it at a relaxed schedule.

In some ways, I think I am "atypical" from all of you on this thread because I'm a conservative, devout follower of Jesus Christ (I like that term better than Christian, these days), more Libertarian, I do go to church, and I do homeschool because I feel that's what God wants us to do. Call it religious reasons, if you want, but I don't really see it that way.

We homeschool because we believe that public and private schools are designed to create obedient conformists.

I'm raising my son to question authority, rock the boat, and be a change-maker.

But I don't think this is uncommon among secular homeschoolers.

This is another BIG reason why we homeschool as well!

Did you see my post not too long ago about attending Harry Potter science day? Or my son's desire for me to turn our school plans next year into hogwarts type courses? I use star wars in our lessons too. (While teaching literary analysis and structure of a story I used star wars to make my point)

Based on posts on this forum I think there is just as many that love HP as those that love Star Wars, and I know a few people have posted their desire to redo their school rooms to be hogwarts-like, or offer courses like those in HP.

I wish I knew more people who did! We do HSCS every summer and are obsessed, at best. :lol: I have heard many anti-HP references in person with homeschoolers I know (except one of my friends here on the board!). It's gotten to the point where I just avoid HP references and anything to do with it when I'm around other hs'ers because of reactions I've seen. :(

We're gay. That alone makes us pretty atypical in the homeschooling world. We're also (not surprisingly) very liberal. I'm divorced, remarried, & homeschooling kids from both marriages. The kids & I love Star Wars, Star Trek, & D&D. Oh, and I'm Christian & active in my church, though we homeschool for purely non-religious reasons.

We're gay. That alone makes us pretty atypical in the homeschooling world. We're also (not surprisingly) very liberal. I'm divorced, remarried, & homeschooling kids from both marriages. The kids & I love Star Wars, Star Trek, & D&D. Oh, and I'm Christian & active in my church, though we homeschool for purely non-religious reasons.

I want to organize a play date because my kids would love to meet other Trekkie kids!!! :D

I wish I knew more people who did! We do HSCS every summer and are obsessed, at best. :lol: I have heard many anti-HP references in person with homeschoolers I know (except one of my friends here on the board!). It's gotten to the point where I just avoid HP references and anything to do with it when I'm around other hs'ers because of reactions I've seen. :(

I find that in person too for the most part. The one homeschooler I knew in person that was as into all of that as me went and moved her family to the Dominican Republic.

I thought of another way I am Atypical but not to other homeschoolers, I am the only homeschooler in my whole town. Everyone else in town sends thier kids to the ps here in town or to the one in the next town over. So for my area that is very atypical, but does not make be unique among other homeschoolers :)

I am a Christian but do not hs for religious reasons, in fact I did not become a Christian until a couple years into our journey, before that I was pagan. Also compared to many hser's I know in person I am way out there, my kids play video games (including some M rated ones), watch movies like paranormal activity, sleep in until they wake up(which for my 12 yr old is between noon and 1pm). Of the homeschooler's I know in person the rest are not like that, they are much more conservative, hs for religious reasons, no tv or video games in their homes at all etc. We don't have cable but LOVE movies and watch a ton, both for entertainment and learning (my kids love musicals and documentaries just as much as they like HP and scary movies)

Edited by swellmomma

Me too!

I work part time, and I used to wear a stormtrooper costume. I was heavily involved in starwars fandom at the beginning of the millenium, to the point that actors knew me by name, and would call home to wish me Merry Christmas. In fact Peter Mayhew (Chewbacca)'s wife is the reason we're now homeschooling.

I am surprised that no one else commented on the fact that Chewbacca's wife is the reason you are homeschooling. That is really cool!!!! I bet your kids love telling people about why they homeschool! Did you play a storm trooper in one of the movies?!

We are also big star wars and star trek fans. It wouldn't be unusual to hear us theorizing what would happen if a few borg cubes stumbled upon the death star;). We especially love Voyager and Next Generation. My Dh and I are also beginning to watch Deep Space 9. We had a bit of withdrawal when we realized we had seen every episode of voyager and Next Generation.:tongue_smilie: Oh well, we have Survivor and Amazing Race to fill that void, and hopefully Deep Space 9.:lol:

Back to the OP's question. I don't think we are very atypical. We are very conservative. We don't homeschool for religious regions but it is a very nice bonus. Compared to our neighborhood we are atypical just because we HS. I don't know any other homeschooler in our neighborhood, so we are definitely the odd man out. In fact one of my old neighbors was asking my availability weekday evenings to go visit a couple of ladies in our neighborhood. I told her I couldn't because my kids don't go to bed until about 9:00 or 9:30. She looked at me funny and then asked "But what about school?" I responded, "we homeschool." She looked pretty surprised and confused. So we are also unusual in the fact that our kids go to bed later and wake up around 9ish. I am always forgetting that most kids do go to PS:lol:! We are also unusual in the fact that we don't do very many outside activities. My daughter has violin and that is it. We will hopefully change that this next school year but I haven't felt a huge need to busy our family with extra-curricular activities while they are so young.

We are unusual around here just for the mere fact of homeschooling. There are lots and lots of homeschoolers in the the greater metro area, but in our little suburb with the "excellent" schools, I only know one other family- an orthodox Jewish family who has an unschooling mindset and didn't like the Jewish day school her son was attending. People are astonished that I would choose to homeschool when we live in this neighborhood with the "great" schools.

We are unusual around here just for the mere fact of homeschooling. There are lots and lots of homeschoolers in the the greater metro area, but in our little suburb with the "excellent" schools, I only know one other family- an orthodox Jewish family who has an unschooling mindset and didn't like the Jewish day school her son was attending. People are astonished that I would choose to homeschool when we live in this neighborhood with the "great" schools.

Same here! People think we are crazy because apparently we live in one of the "best" school districts in the state. Both my Dh and I agree that no matter how good the school district that we are living in is, homeschooling is still the best option for our family.

Both of my older boys have always been in public school and my dd will always be homeschooled (unless some very significant thing happens in our life to prevent that-which I don't see!).

Both dh and I are gamers and love fantasy books. We, as a family, have been known to have gaming weekends where we all play some video game together! We all are quoting video games, fantasy books, Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, or Harry Potter at some point in the day....we are just unique that way :D!

I think homeschoolers, by definition, enjoy thinking of themselves as atypical and usually don't like being boxed in. I actually don't know but one or two homeschoolers (IRL) who would really fit well into a large-family, dress-wearing, evangelical, conservative, chicken-raising, Econoline-driving mold. Typical homeschoolers are atypical.

I don't know if we're unusual homeschoolers in general, but we definitely are unusual where we live. We live in a wealthy area with "excellent" public schools with an extremely high tax bill to support these schools (our taxes are seriously vomit-inducing). Many people bemoan the high taxes, but tolerate them because of the schools. NO ONE homeschools in this district except for us. People cannot believe that we would live here and pay these ridiculously high taxes and not use the schools.

Because homeschooling just isn't done here, people are also very surprised at what a homeschooler (at least this one) looks like. We do lean very conservative politically (socially we are fairly moderate, but fiscally we are very conservative, so that is the way our vote always goes). However, we aren't very religious. We are Christians, but we rarely go to church (we are pretty much C&E Christians).

Edited by edelweiss

That I work (part-time, granted)---most people can't really understand that.

Also, that we're secular, politically liberal homeschoolers :D But that's probably just around here.....

Same here! I work as an administrative assistant 5 mornings a week.

For my area, we're atypical in that we're not unschoolers. I think we're the only family at our regular park day (with about 10-15 other families) that has a planned curriculum. The secular & politically liberal bit is pretty common here though.

I have only 2 children, and will NOT be having more. Most families around here that homeschool have at least 3 or 4 kids.

I'm not atypical, regionally, in the tattoos, eclectic music tastes, health freak foods, etc.

Edited by momto2Cs

I guess we're atypical around there because we work long hours, I can't really "do" a lot of the homeschool activities. We're in it for the academics, and if we're not home learning, it's not getting done. Saying it'll get done later in the day never really happens around here. We're the type that needs to get up and get our work completed. One morning out of the house with CC is plenty.

Oh, I think I'm the only person I know of IRL who hires tutors to work along with us on a given subject. Right now we have a writing tutor. I love our writing tutor (can't say that emphatically enough). We still work hard on writing at home but for me it personally has been the best thing ever. I needed help with writing, I needed to pull in as many resources as possible.

I have had hard stares for having the kids do math at least 6 days a week. We often do lessons on both days over the weekend. We call it our daily dose of math. It works for them. We don't work long on it, but we do it.

Meh, we're pretty typical! Probably borderline cliché! egads, must go get tattoo on face...

oh wait, wait! I got one. DH has been into electronic/dubstep music for a while, and now my children love it. On the road we get lots of strange looks from other cars as our music is pumping with 3 little kids in the back (trying to dance in their car seats)! Same thing when RAtM comes on... But neither he or I have ever set foot inside a club/dance party/rave etc.

We're pretty conservative theologically, but our primary reason for homeschooling is to encourage our children to THINK, for themselves. DH was looking into the Christian Anarchists party for a while there... to give you an idea ;)

Well, we are a secular homeschooling family and we are politically progressive. But, that is the norm around here.

What makes us stand out is that we are not unschoolers, sporting many tattoos and piercings. I actually use curriculum and expect my kids participate in lessons every weekday. I have even occasionally (gasp) used textbooks to teach.

That, and the lack of chickens and kombucha.

Don't get me wrong, I adore where we live and all my fellow homeschoolers. Not being the freakiest one in the room is lots of fun. Some day my kids are going to have quite the awakening. Their lives must look so 'leave it to beaver' compared to that of their friends. One day they will figure out their parents were also pretty weird.

Meh, we're pretty typical! Probably borderline cliché! egads, must go get tattoo on face...

oh wait, wait! I got one. DH has been into electronic/dubstep music for a while, and now my children love it. On the road we get lots of strange looks from other cars as our music is pumping with 3 little kids in the back (trying to dance in their car seats)! Same thing when RAtM comes on... But neither he or I have ever set foot inside a club/dance party/rave etc.

We're pretty conservative theologically, but our primary reason for homeschooling is to encourage our children to THINK, for themselves. DH was looking into the Christian Anarchists party for a while there... to give you an idea ;)

:lol: You make me laugh!

I accept hotdogs as a food; we even eat them with packaged french fries sometimes. Does that count?

I love this thread.

I am a divorced, single mom homeschooling my four kids. I support my family (no child support you know) by running my own business teaching Simply Music piano lessons. I am also a competitive swimmer.

Back in my married days I did grind my own wheat to make my own bread, but those days are gone. But I will always wear my Birkenstocks.

Sometimes when I go to homeschool functions I feel like a freak. It is nice to read about some of the variations in homeschooling families.

I am a conservative Republican Catholic homeschooler with 4 kids.

However, I am feeling really radical. After spending the day tomorrow on my best behavior at a sweet Christian co-op that I love, I am going to run home, change clothes and go to a comedy club with a girlfriend where I will hear all kinds of raunchy bad language and subject matter. I'll have wine and I'll laugh. I won't even get offended.

I'm going to see a friend's family member perform. But I'd go even without a personal connection. I'll be thinking all day tomorrow at how shocked the other homeschool moms would be.

Funny. Both scenarios are "me" though. I am a conservative girl but I am also a grown up that can lighten up and have a good time. I wonder how many of my fellow homeschool moms would be scandalized. I wonder who would go with me?

Hm, only child, plan to homeschool through high school. Son is currently not involved in any outside activities. While dh is fairly protective in real life, we are more free range with technology. Ds has his computer in his room. He's had Led Zepplin and Black Sabbath on his Ipod since he was about 10.

I curse from time-to-time. We allow M rated games. Ds and I bought wooden swords for Christmas so we could spar together. Every life lesson can be tied back to an episode of Star Trek or Star Wars.

We're christians who don't attend church, and we homeschool for academic reasons.

Oh I like you. Except for the M rated games and Black Sabbath we are alike! Dd has Linkin Park, one song by Fort Minor and one by Lil' Wayne too :) I even like them all.

We have learned a lot from Star Trek. Dd14 is always saying to dh "Status report Number One" :D

Same here.

Add to that, we live in the bible belt so most of the homeschoolers are either trying to recruit us or witness to us. :D

We also don't go to church. We are "Christian" but don't believe in "hell" and don't even believe that "church" is biblical. We are outside the box with this stuff.

Even politically we are out of the norm. We lean more libertarian than anything. :)

After reading this thread I am thinking there isn't an atypical, just a stereotypical! :D