Menu

How much time per day does your child generally spend on math?

I'd say we average about 60-90 minutes a day for Algebra 1 and up. We use traditional textbooks (Jacob's Algebra, Chalkdust Geometry, Foerster's Trig and Precalc).

Sometimes it's less, and sometimes it's more, but if we aim for at least an hour on math per day, then we have no trouble finishing curriculum during the school year.

My 8th grader is doing better doing only about 30 minutes per day. "Less is more" in his case. Sometimes we do math twice a day at 30 minutes per session. I suppose his 'average' would be 40 to 45 minutes per day.

My 11th grader can sometimes finish very quickly. Other days he seems to drag it out over a couple of hours. It depends mainly on his motivation per day. I'd say his 'average' is about 50 to 60 minutes per day.

Mine are required to spent an hour a day on Khan Academy; currently we are boycotting math textbooks, so this is their only math. Not sure when we will go back to textbooks at this rate: they are both soaring on Khan and math causes NO MORE STRESS. My son is *finally* confident in himself and his math skills...can you tell math has been a rough road? :)

~coffee~

We used Chalkdust and spent one hour per day on math until Pre-Calculus. We then bumped it up to an hour and a half per day. Ds enrolled halfway through the year in a public charter. They have a 4 x 4 block schedule and their classes are an hour and 20-something minutes per day.

45-90 min. per day for Algebra I. That includes time to watch the BJU online lesson and to do the homework. Some days ds gets the homework done while the video plays. It's the same type of thing I did in school when the teacher was going too slow and I wanted to get my work done.

I guess we're slackers here. :tongue_smilie:

I do think a lot depends on the individual student and their abilities and maturity, but as a VERY general generalization, by high school (Algebra on up), 45-60 minutes was as much as our DSs could handle in one sitting and get anything out of it. If I could see that a lesson was going to go longer that an hour, I broke it up into two shorter sessions and spread the lesson over two days. Yes, that meant doing math into the summer by a few weeks to finish the textbook. But the point is: they "got" the math and finished the credit, -- just in the timing that worked for them. :)

Another option would be two math sessions in one day, and many students are fine with that. (Mine would NOT have been fine.) BEST of luck determining how your DC work best with math! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.

When I was high school student, I spent at least an hour on math homework daily--this after my 50 minute class. I think it is reasonable for homeschooled teens to spend more than an hour on math daily. It may be wise to break this into two sessions: lesson with some problems in the morning, followed by a return to math in the afternoon. Or it may be better to do some catch up work on the weekend.

Another thing to keep in mind is what I call the plasticity of the teenage brain. There are days when things just click. On other days, subjects like math go into the fog where they are lost. At times like this, an hour of work is not an hour of work. It is better to ignore the clock and examine a reasonable expectation of daily content. If the work is done in 45 minutes, it is done. If the work takes two hours, so be it.

I would say an average of 60 min/day. That's not quite enough for dd who struggles with math, but it is overkill for ds who breezes through math. :) I am requiring more from dd over the past 6 months or so, as we are really trying to ramp up the math preparedness for all her testing this year (PSAT, SAT, ACT, etc.). I have found with both kids that I have to phrase it as, "Either do 45-60 minutes of math or the next lesson, whichever takes the longest."