Menu

Favorite Beginner Phonics Readers

4Kiddos

My oldest son is starting to learn to read. He knows all of his phonograms very well and is just starting to read his first words- cat, bat, etc. My original plan was to do an intensive phonics course that also teaches handwriting at the same time. But, it is not going as I expected. Because my son is progressing well but very slowly through the handwriting, I want to lay aside the program for a little while as my son's excitement seems to be dampened by the handwriting. So, I am now doing things on my own by working with him on blending the phonograms together. We are still doing handwriting a little but really low key. Anyway, I wanted to find some beginning phonics readers that my son and I can use to work on his blending skills and be able to progress forward in his reading. I have to confess that I am a little overwhelmed with how many phonics readers there are. I was wondering if people here might be able to tell me their favorites. I have heard of these ones: Bob Books Explode the Code Nora Gaydos I have also looked a little into these: I See Sam Progressive Phonics Which ones do you like and feel that are worth the money (or time, in the case of the free ones)? Are there other good ones? I also don't really want my kids to have much (or perhaps any?) screen time. We tried Starfall for a little while and my son just wanted to click on certain ones to play with it and was not really learning all that much. I would appreciate all of your advice! Lauren

My youngest loved the readers from Primary Phonics and All About Reading. The AAR books are hardcover with wonderful stories and illustrations. The Primary Phonics ones are thin paperbacks, but still good stories. We have the first three sets, bought used.

http://rainbowresource.com/prodlist.php?subject=5&category=795

and

http://www.allaboutlearningpress.com/all-about-reading/

We use Phonics Pathways for the blending.

For the readers we use http://www.readinga-z.com/ They have a free trial for a week so you can download some books and see if they work for you. Each book also comes with a lesson that has games and such.

Once they progress through all 63 of the phonics readers then they start on the levelled readers.

I don't know that this is a popular one but I really like Dr. Seuss early reader books for dd. I tried bob books and they were not interesting and dd could sound the words out but it was choppy and slow. She can do parts of the Seuss books fluently and pick up the words faster the way it is organized. They are also are pretty fun to read. I will be printing out the 52 free I See Sam Readers. I would of printed them already but we don't have a printer at the moment.

We use McGuffey.

We do too.

We also like the thick, harback Dick and Jane books from Barnes and Noble http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/fun-with-our-family-unknown/1101967639?ean=9780448435688&itm=13&usri=dick+and+jane+series

and the Pathway Reader called Days Go By. Look for a sample here. http://www.learningthings.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=PR-1-DGB-WB

Those books are easy-to-read books, but I wouldn't call them phonics readers because they don't avoid words that are phonetically tricky. I like thick books with lots of words so I can get more for my money. I don't want to spend $6.99 on a book my child can memorize in 5 minutes.

Edited by Caribbean Queen

I don't know that this is a popular one but I really like Dr. Seuss early reader books for dd. I tried bob books and they were not interesting and dd could sound the words out but it was choppy and slow. She can do parts of the Seuss books fluently and pick up the words faster the way it is organized. They are also are pretty fun to read.

Yes, my daughter is a struggling reader and Dr. Seuss books have been wonderful. She finds regular phonics readers boring. The Dr. Seuss beginners books are real books; she is motivated to read them. She gets enough of "The truck ran into the duck" with ETC.:D

I like the Bob books for the very beginning and I found with ds that if I left them in his room he'd pick them up and read them on his own. That was empowering for him.

As readers though we enjoyed the Nora Gaydos ones a lot. Funnier stories. Both my boys really like them.

Try your public library. Fortunately, ours has many of these titles. I started mine with Hooked on Phonics readers that come with the set. They are geared towards the words families and blending and everything else. Bob books are nice, too. They're the same as the HOP ones only less interesting and less of them. You could check out some of the Dr. Seuss books as well - Go Dog Go, Hop on Pop, Ten Apples up on Top.

Good luck.

We used the Nora Gaydos readers. Dd really loved the stickers that came with them. I liked them because they were about as easy as you can get yet still with enjoyable stories. It allowed her to have a very successful and satisfying first reading experience.

Another inexpensive option are the Sonlight books, "I Can Read It," Books 1-3. The accompanying "Word List" book is unnecessary - you can print out Word Mastery or Blend Phonics and be just as well off, given that the list doesn't coordinate with the lessons.

Here is book 1:

http://www.amazon.com/I-Can-Read-Book-1/dp/1887840494/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1329875967&sr=8-1

I apologize for the hijack, but can someone help me figure out which level my DD is reading? She reads short vowel, long vowel (silent e and many vowel pairs), many digraphs, etc. However, every leveled reader I pick up at the library either is way too easy (fat cat type words) or has tons of sight words thrown in. I'm lookng at the Gaydos readers, but can't tell online what level 2,3,etc really mean.

Thank you!

Yes, these!

http://www.amazon.com/Nora-Gaydos/e/B001K8FSXA/ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_1?qid=1329950812&sr=8-1

You'll need to look at the samples and figure out what level of difficulty you need. I believe Animal Antics 1 (with ten books) is the lowest level. We have it and DD reads them in conjunction with Hooked on Phonics.

51XCVC2H0QL._AA160_.jpg

Also, Pat the Cat and Friends.

61TKHE6Z9EL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Pat-Cat-Friends-Read-Along/dp/0789402335/ref=sr_1_6?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1329951114&sr=1-6

Hold on a second. Ok, back. :tongue_smilie:

Here is what Hooked on Phonics recommends to go along with their Kindergarten program. Hooked on Phonics K teaches CVC, -ck and -s words.

Kindergarten, Level 1

Unit 1:

Pat the Cat: A Flip-the-Page Rhyme and Read Book by Colin and Jacqui Hawkins

Pig Wig: Flip-a-Word by Harriet Ziefert (-at family chapter)

Stop Pop: Flip-a-Word by Harriet Ziefert (-an family chapter)

Unit 2:

Wet Pet: Flip-a-Word by Harriet Ziefert (-am family chapter)

Bob Books, Set 1: Beginning Readers by Bobby Lynn Maslen (Book 1: Mat)

Bob Books, Set 1: Beginning Readers by Bobby Lynn Maslen (Book 2: Sam)

Unit 3:

Crab Cab: Flip-a-Word by Harriet Ziefert (-ab family chapter)

Pig Wig: Flip-a-Word by Harriet Ziefert (-ig family chapter)

Unit 4:

Mig the Pig: A Flip-the-Page Rhyme and Read Book by Colin and Jacqui Hawkins

Crab Cab: Flip-a-Word by Harriet Ziefert (-it family chapter)

Unit 5:

Bob Books, Set 1: Beginning Readers by Bobby Lynn Maslen (Book 7: Jig and Mag)

Unit 6:

Now I'm Reading! Playful Pals, Level 1 by Nora Gaydos (Book 1: Rat Naps)

Now I'm Reading! Playful Pals, Level 1 by Nora Gaydos (Book 3: Pig Sits)

Kindergarten, Level 2

Unit 1:

Bob Books, Set 1: Beginning Readers by Bobby Lynn Maslen (Book 4: Mac)

Bob Books, Set 1: Beginning Readers by Bobby Lynn Maslen (Book 11: Lad and the Fat Cat)

Crab Cab: Flip-a-Word by Harriet Ziefert (-ot family chapter)

Stop Pop: Flip-a-Word by Harriet Ziefert (-op family chapter)

Unit 2 -3: None

Unit 4:

Bob Books, Set 1: Beginning Readers by Bobby Lynn Maslen (Book 8: Muff and Ruff)

Now I'm Reading! Playful Pals, Level 1 by Nora Gaydos (Book 4: Bug on a Rug)

Now I'm Reading! Clever Critters, Level 1 by Nora Gaydos (Book 2: The Big Cub)

Unit 5:

Jen the Hen: A Flip-the-Page Rhyme and Read Book by Colin and Jacqui Hawkins

Mouse Makes Words by Kathryn Heling and Deborah Hembrook

Now I'm Reading! Clever Critters, Level 1 by Nora Gaydos (Book 3: The Wet Pup)

Bob Books, Set 1: Beginning Readers by Bobby Lynn Maslen (Book 12: The Vet)

Wet Pet: Flip-a-Word by Harriet Ziefert (-ed family chapter)

Now I'm Reading!: Animal Antics - Level 1 by Nora Gaydos (Book 5: Wet Legs)

Unit 6:

Now I'm Reading! Clever Critters, Level 1 by Nora Gaydos (Book 4: The Fox Begs)

Quack Shack: Flip-a-Word by Harriet Ziefert (-ack family chapter)

Quack Shack: Flip-a-Word by Harriet Ziefert (-ock family chapter)

Quack Shack: Flip-a-Word by Harriet Ziefert (-ick family chapter)

Now I'm Reading! Playful Pals, Level 1 by Nora Gaydos (Book 5: A Bed for Pets)

Now I'm Reading!: Animal Antics - Level 1 by Nora Gaydos (Book 1: Fat Cat)

Now I'm Reading!: Animal Antics - Level 1 by Nora Gaydos (Book 3: Pig Jigs)

Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss

We used the Nora Gaydos readers. Dd really loved the stickers that came with them. I liked them because they were about as easy as you can get yet still with enjoyable stories. It allowed her to have a very successful and satisfying first reading experience.

DGD, kindergarten, is a struggling reader, but she loves these books. She says the characters are "SO cute!" They're a little pricey, but they're worth it, IMHO. She absolutely does NOT like the Bob books.

I don't know if you've considered Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons, but it's worked great for us. It does teach handwriting at the same time, which I've ALWAYS skipped. Most of my kids were ready to read well before they were ready to write.

As for readers, here are some of my favorites:

Pathway Readers

Dr. Seuss

Little Bear

Rod and Staff Readers

Bob books

AAS readers (I haven't used these, but I've heard great things about them and I love the AAS program)