Menu

If you had a 5yo and a 3yo

Dthornton12

And were starting your homeschool experience all over, what would you do?

I would like something that's all together for Luke. I'm afraid that i will leave something out. He is coming out of public school kindergarten. He can read, write, add, and subtract. Should I go a to 1st grade curriculum?

Malorie is almost 4 and she knows her alphabet and how to count. She can't recognize numbers, but can recognize letters. I have some "getting ready for kindergarten" Kumon workbooks that she's been attempting to do. She can do them if i guide her through it, but gets off task if I'm not right there.

Today was our first day and I feel very overwhelmed. I need some type of structure.

I would recommend just starting with the older one, since the younger isn't school age yet and sounds like she's maybe not gung go about doing school?

As far as placement goes, I would judge that on a per subject/curriculum basis. He may be fine with all first grade level, or some K and some first.

I pulled my oldest or of school halfway through first grade when his brother was just turned 4 (preK 3 age). I didn't do anything with the younger one that year. This year, I've started some K level things with him, but it's still on a †when he asks†basis. As he gets closer to K, we'll gradually require more.

My children were exactly that age (doesn't seem like that long ago). If I had it to do over again, I would listen to people who told me to just take it slow and enjoy. I would definately do FIAR again though. Those are some of the best memories we have. If you want to look into it it's called Five in a row. The only thing I might add to that is a math workbook, some phonics (explode the code or ordinary parents guide), and lots of good read alouds for the older one. I way overdid it with my oldest and now that I've got my secnd group coming up I plan on doing just what I mentioned above. :) Good luck! Have fun!

I have found everything used for FIAR and it is so much cheaper! I would check here on the For Sale Boards, Homeschool Classifieds, and Ebay for saving on FIAR costs! I have found even some of the OOP ones cheaply too! They are such lovely books and a wonderful program. I highly recommend it!

So, for the FIAR, I would only need the volume 1 book and the 19 books that supplement the lessons? The books alone are $146 and that doesn't include 2 that are oos.

Is their a less exspensive way?

Use the library and paperbackswap.com/local book sales. I've seen (and bought) many of the FIAR books at library sales.

I highly recommend FIAR too, and adding some gentle math/phonics. FIAR didn't always work for us (some of the books didn't interest my girls enough to read more than once, like Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel), but others have become beloved old friends (Ping, Madeline, Mirette on the High Wire, etc.). That's one of my regrets, not sticking with FIAR a little more when DD9 was young, and I'm still considering implementing it with DD6 (if I could figure out how to work it into our days). I still have all the manuals and can't quite seem to part with them!

ETA: For finding the books, you can also look on eBay and search on terms like "FIAR lot." People resell them often.

Can you use interlibrary loan?

I tried to buy used addall.com, paperbackswap.

I'd schedule two books I had then one from ILL, since I never knew when they would come.

Once you "row" several books, you can choose your own picture books and read repeatedly over a week choosing different aspects to focus on. M-Sticker disk, look at online pictures of geography, T- culture or time period, craft, art, drawing, W- Summarizing, Narrating, relating to a similar story in character or plot, R - extending with a related book history, science nonfiction, biography, or picture study from a separate art book.

The gist is to enjoy and digest the book on several levels and from several perspectives.

So, for the FIAR, I would only need the volume 1 book and the 19 books that supplement the lessons? The books alone are $146 and that doesn't include 2 that are oos.

We used the library for all of the FIAR books for volume 1. There were only 2 that had to be purchased and I found them used on amazon.

So, for the FIAR, I would only need the volume 1 bookThe o and the 19 books that supplement the lessons? The books alone are $146 and that doesn't include 2 that are oos.

We used the library for all but two of the books in volume one. Those ones I found used on amazon. The only thing I bought was the teacher book.

Use the library and paperbackswap.com/local book sales. I've seen (and bought) many of the FIAR books at library sales.

I highly recommend FIAR too, and adding some gentle math/phonics. FIAR didn't always work for us (some of the books didn't interest my girls enough to read more than once, like Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel), but others have become beloved old friends (Ping, Madeline, Mirette on the High Wire, etc.). That's one of my regrets, not sticking with FIAR a little more when DD9 was young, and I'm still considering implementing it with DD6 (if I could figure out how to work it into our days). I still have all the manuals and can't quite seem to part with them!

ETA: For finding the books, you can also look on eBay and search on terms like "FIAR lot." People resell them often.

I feel the same way! I wish we could still fit FIAR int our schedule and I can't wait to do it with my younger two..

I did have a 5 and a 3 yr old. I taught to the older (still do) and the younger follows along at her level in most things outside of the core.

So for 1st grade/preK year the older had her core subjects and then we did Story of the World and A.G. projects together. Little one could color pictures for her own little notebook.

I did Letter of the Week and the Rod and Staff ABC workbooks with the younger one for a few minutes each morning before starting school with the older.

My children were exactly that age (doesn't seem like that long ago). If I had it to do over again, I would listen to people who told me to just take it slow and enjoy. I would definately do FIAR again though. Those are some of the best memories we have. If you want to look into it it's called Five in a row. The only thing I might add to that is a math workbook, some phonics (explode the code or ordinary parents guide), and lots of good read alouds for the older one. I way overdid it with my oldest and now that I've got my secnd group coming up I plan on doing just what I mentioned above. :) Good luck! Have fun!

I completely agree. We also focus on habit training a la Ambleside - so if you are trying to incorporate CM, now is a great age to begin working in artist study, composer study, nature study, tea time, etc.

Your most important purchase will be whatever volume you want to do (they don't have to be done in order). Most of the books can be found in your local library, and any that aren't there can be purchased used and very cheap. I want to add that the cookbook is a great investment (though not an absolute necessity).

At that age, I would not worry about leaving things out. I would focus on handwriting first and foremost. Then I would teaching or reading readiness, whichever is more appropriate for your child's level. I would play tons of math games, making sure he could count, knew shapes, could measure things, etc. I would only do formal math if the child liked doing it. I made my dd do math for K, and though she was accellerated, she hated it. My next child, though is just turning 4yo and loves math, so I am looking to get a workbook for him. But if he doesn't do it, he will still be plenty ready for 1st grade math.

I would consider FIAR to make sure that we touched on things like geography, history, art, science, and vocabulary. I used FIAR with my oldest, and it was a very good way to introduce her to a lot of topics and figure out what she liked most. Through FIAR, I learned that my dd loved geography and history, and that led us to what we did the following year.

I feel the same way! I wish we could still fit FIAR int our schedule and I can't wait to do it with my younger two..

Actually, I've been thinking about it since I posted earlier and I'm going to take a look at how I can pull it in tomorrow while the kids are at my mom's :lol: I realized that I've really gotten off track with my DD6 because I focus so much on my very bright DD9's work. I'm looking forward to spending some time with those lovely books again.

That is my situation this year. We have been doing the things in my thread. For history, we have been taking a trip around the world. We have been learning about the different continents and studying animals, culture, food, music, stories, etc. It has been a lot of fun. My just turned 4 year old comes along for the ride. I am about to start doing more Montessori type stuff with my kids. I am very excited about that!

What are my options for spelling?

Has he finished phonics for reading? What level is he reading at? That might affect suggestions.

Would WWE and hwot cursive be over kill?

Just do them on different days. WWE has copywork 2-3 days per week (I think the first 4 weeks are 2, then it bumps up to 3), so do HWT on the other days.

I bought lifepac history grade 1. Is that one ok?

No clue. We used and loved SOTW1.

I also got FLL 1/2.

Perfect. These are very gentle.

I'm trying to find something for math. I hated math and want something fun. Is there a way to make math fun? Lol

Many people hate math because they weren't taught very well. I personally enjoy Singapore and find the challenging problems fun. :D I would recommend you read Liping Ma's Knowing and Teaching Elementary Mathematics. If you have access to NetLibrary from your local library, they have it in digital format. I've purchased the book, and it has been a very worthwhile read.

And get a bucket of Cuisenaire rods... they're awesome. :lol: (note that some kids don't need/like manipulatives, and if your son doesn't, don't force them! My oldest doesn't use any, and my middle son uses C-rods a LOT)

What are my options for spelling?

Would WWE and hwot cursive be over kill?

I bought lifepac history grade 1. Is that one ok?

I also got FLL 1/2.

I'm trying to find something for math. I hated math and want something fun. Is there a way to make math fun? Lol

What else would I need?

I would recommend starting with handwriting and phonics and then adding other things in. When I did K, I had a whole slew of things I wanted to get done, but dd just wanted to read and play. So I ended up buying things that I never really used or needed.

I wouldn't start WWE until the student was writing comfortably and reading. There is a lot of copywork in WWE, and it doesn't make a lot of sense to give that to a child that is still learning to write and who cannot read the words he is copying. FLL should be fine, but not necessary.

If this is K for the 5yo, then you can easily make math fun. I like Games for Math by Peggy Kaye. Some people also like Family Math. If you want a fun math program, I am sure you will get some recommendations here.

I am not familiar with Lifepac history, so I can't comment on it. There isn't any reason you couldn't do some history. You might want to consider doing geography instead. We did this through FIAR and then added a number of additional books for other countries, and I found it to be a superb foundation for starting history in 1st grade.

Actually, I've been thinking about it since I posted earlier and I'm going to take a look at how I can pull it in tomorrow while the kids are at my mom's :lol: I realized that I've really gotten off track with my DD6 because I focus so much on my very bright DD9's work. I'm looking forward to spending some time with those lovely books again.

You may have just inspired me too :001_smile:

I remember my days with 5 in a row very clearly. I really got caught up with doing everything and in the proper order and using the library for a bulk of it. It could not be done! Now I advise everyone to enjoy whatever you can get when it comes in. Check out a wide range of books everytime you go and enjoy. Read as much as you can stand. Do the easy science experiencents. Make math manipulatives and use them while you read. The less professional the more your kids will enjoy it. Remember the purpose of the 5 in the row books is to help you learn to enjoy good books with your kids so don't worry too much about doing everything because it really ruined the experience for me.:tongue_smilie:

I'm almost to where' you're at. My ds will be 5 in April and the younger is 2 1/2. I've read a ton of threads on here and I'm a bit of research junkie. The library and internet are my friend! :) The big thing I've gleaned is to relax and have fun with your kids. Set them up to love learning. THere's so much time to get into "real" curriculum, what I try to do is get them to a place where I say "Okay time for math/reading/science/WHATEVER" and they say, "Oh, good! I LOVE that!"

I've set up a play area in a corner of our house full of manipulatives, puzzles, games and math lit. That's math. We play with letter tiles, magnets, finger writing with the ipad, HWOT wooden letters and slates and Starfall. VERY loosely follow OPGTR and once or twice a week the older does Funnix (cause it's free right now lol). That's reading and writing. We have a weekly trip to the library where they get out as many books as they like, I reserve more online. We read and we read and we read. Oh and my older ds has discovered a love for audio books. We have quiet time at 3 every after noon for about an hour. He listens to them during that time while playing. I get those from the library too.

He's officially kindergarten age this fall. I don't plan on changing anything, except maybe doing an informal prehistory so we can oogle dinosaurs, sabre tooth tigers and cavemen together!

I'm also trying to set them up with good habits that I *think* will be helpful in the future. They both have daily chores that really do help me. They both can play for an hour or more on their own. I live on a ranch, so I can send them outside to play on their own for hours at a time. Quiet time is KEY lol.

I think everyone has their own style, their own needs, their own standards. Part of the fun is finding out yours!

I combine my 5.5 year old and 3 year old in Bible, crafts and snack/story time. I work with my big girl at night (when small girl goes to bed) in the core subjects (math, reading, science). I don't do anything formal with my small girl now and she is well into a "K" level. I will start working with her in the fall. They will continue to stay together except in the core subjects.

It works very well for us.

My kids: just turned 6, almost 5, and almost 4.

We are thinking of starting TWTM sequence when the middle one is starting 1st grade (not positive on that yet). The littlest is on target academically while the older two are advanced (pretty good since a year ago they all were behind). So that means that next year, we need to have a plan.

I'm thinking FIAR with plenty added in (as it is, we add in a good bit...see blog). Definitely phonics and math for everyone. But learning is SO fun, why "wait." It isn't necessary for it to be boring or hard for it to be effective! We also do a LOT of physical activity. Well, and they CLAIM we don't "let" them do enough chores. LOL

Anyway, I really like FIAR because it can be used with a late-blooming preschooler who won't read well til he's 11 as well as an extremely advanced 7yo who reads voraciously and does Algebra for her math program. Both my big kids *really* enjoyed it. I was able to easily accommodate both.

We do so many mom-made things for the other subjects, I'm not sure I can be much help there. THey do Horizon's math, Alphaphonics, Reading Eggs, HWTs, Progressive Phonics, etc as part of what we do.

Well with my 5 yr. old I am much more relaxed than I was with my older dds.

We have tons of books in this house, so I went through them and found the ones I wanted to make sure I read to him, then set them aside. I read from one history type book, one science, one Bible, one poem, and one story, daily. We practice writing his name, and short vowel words. I don't use a curr. for this, just handwriting paper. He likes Kumon mazes and cut and paste books, that he does when he wants. We play with lots of maniplutives and do some of MUS Primer for math. Phonics we do as we go. I ask him what sounds letters make, then what two sounds together make, such as "b" and "a" say "ba". We do this while driving in the car, or at random moments during the day.

I know with your first you want to do everything, but trust me, don't go overboard.

I remember my days with 5 in a row very clearly. I really got caught up with doing everything and in the proper order and using the library for a bulk of it. It could not be done! Now I advise everyone to enjoy whatever you can get when it comes in. Check out a wide range of books everytime you go and enjoy. Read as much as you can stand. Do the easy science experiencents. Make math manipulatives and use them while you read. The less professional the more your kids will enjoy it. Remember the purpose of the 5 in the row books is to help you learn to enjoy good books with your kids so don't worry too much about doing everything because it really ruined the experience for me.:tongue_smilie:

Very well said!

KONOS for everything except language-related skills and arithmetic.

Spalding for language-related skills (reading, spelling, penmanship, etc.).

I would have started with R&S's Beginning Arithmetic for the older dc, and something really simple for the younger, probably...nothing at all. In fact, I'd be strongly leaning towards nothing formal for arithmetic at all, along the lines of what this article talks about.

This is a good point, and I think this is why we didn't do as well as I wanted with FIAR the first time around. I remember trying to stick closely to the lessons, the timeline, the order, etc. In retrospect, I should have been much more flexible and just let them love the books and the lessons and the stories. I have different plans for this time around :D