Menu

My K4 ds is BORED!

Perogi

I'm at a loss with my K4 ds. He wants to join us during school time but I cannot find enough to keep him busy for the couple of hours that we are doing seat work.

I've been doing the Rod and Staff preschool series (we're on book F), usually 4 pages a day. He does Singapore Early Bird math, various dot-to-dot, mazes, sticker book, etc. I've also been downloading and printing copious amounts of materials from Confessions of Homeschooler's Letter of the Week curriculum (he already knows all of his letters and sounds just from listening in to dd 6yo's AAS lessons so he's not learning from it but it was *something* that I found to keep him busy). We have a "reading buddy" time where dd 8yo reads to him while dd 6yo reads to me. We also have reading hour where I read to him for 20 min and then each of my dds for 20 min while the other dd plays with him.

He does some Leapster most days, or computer time, and usually something hands-on, like a puzzle or pattern blocks or magnetic hundreds chart or practicing letters on the whiteboard. He is learning to read with Headsprout. More screen time would be an easy solution but not one with which I'm comfortable.

He whips through all of it. I spend probably the same amount of time getting it ready for him as it takes him to complete it.

Lately when he gets asked about school he says it's boring or annoying. He does the work with minimal amounts of complaining but I know he's not getting a lot out of it and he doesn't love doing it. It's busywork, plain and simple.

What can I get that will challenge him, keep him busy and he will enjoy without requiring more of my time?! I'm plenty busy with his sisters and can help a little bit but can't sit and focus entirely on him all morning.

We have a 1.5 hour quiet time in the afternoon so he's getting that independent play time and doesn't really want to go off and play alone while we do school either, which I can understand. He wants to be with us.

I'm considering the Get Ready series from ETC and/or Developing the Early Learner but that will really only buy me another 10 min or so! He doesn't like colouring or doing a lot of writing.

Any ideas??? Help! Maybe another math curriculum? He LOVES doing math and there really aren't a lot of exercises in the Earlybird books.

I'm very open to advice or new curriculum.

I wish I had some great advice for you, but I'm in the same boat! My 5 yo gets bored very easily. He and his older brothers are like the 3 musketeers, and he has the hardest time playing on his own. He is capable of doing quite a bit of what I'm doing with his brothers, but his attention span is really short, and he's loud and wiggly. Add in the 1 yo, and it is so hard getting focused school time in with the older boys!! The other problem is that if I give the 5 yo something really fun to do, the older boys are so distracted! I'm sorry to say that the 5 yo spends a lot of time doing educational games on the computer. {sigh}

My 4yo spends a lot of time using Reading Eggs. When he starts whining about being bored I toss him outside. ;)

He is also having reading lessons using Phonics Pathways.

Because my DD is doing K it is easy to just let my 4yo join in with us and do whatever we are doing.

Forgot to add - I send him to public Pre-K three days a week for 3 hours to help alleviate the boredom.

I wish I had some great advice for you, but I'm in the same boat! My 5 yo gets bored very easily. He and his older brothers are like the 3 musketeers, and he has the hardest time playing on his own. He is capable of doing quite a bit of what I'm doing with his brothers, but his attention span is really short, and he's loud and wiggly. Add in the 1 yo, and it is so hard getting focused school time in with the older boys!! The other problem is that if I give the 5 yo something really fun to do, the older boys are so distracted! I'm sorry to say that the 5 yo spends a lot of time doing educational games on the computer. {sigh}

At least we're in the same boat!! It was so easy when my oldest was grade 1, even grade 2 because the two littles played together and the oldest didn't have so much seat work. I'm finding 3rd grade taking a significant amount of time more and am also having to find time for my 1st grader because she isn't very independent academically. Perhaps I should cave on the computer games.....we have Reading Eggs, Headsprout, Rainbow Rock, etc. I also have an iPad with lots of apps. Honestly, screens could keep him busy for hours but I know that he already shows a weakness towards just sitting in front of a screen all day long.

ETA: I'm so glad I'm not dealing with a 1yo at the same time! Although, we are all set to start fostering a newborn any day now....yikes!

Edited by Perogi

My 4yo spends a lot of time using Reading Eggs. When he starts whining about being bored I toss him outside. ;)

He is also having reading lessons using Phonics Pathways.

Because my DD is doing K it is easy to just let my 4yo join in with us and do whatever we are doing.

Forgot to add - I send him to public Pre-K three days a week for 3 hours to help alleviate the boredom.

Define "a lot"....again, so tempted to just let him do things like Reading Eggs to use up the extra hour or so that I need to fill.

Does he go outside alone? I don't really have a safe space for that, nor do I think he'd want to do that.

I looked into a program that I could send him to a couple of mornings a week but it was just too expensive. I really think that it would have been a great option.

Would he enjoy listening to an audio book with headphones?

Also, does he have one of those Tag pens? My dd has one and loves it. She has several books, a set of animal cards, a fold out solar system, and a little kit that teaches writing. It's a bit expensive, but definitely worth it.

ETA: Oh, and if the puzzles aren't taking him too long, could you try a more difficult puzzle? My dd could sit and do puzzles all day, but the ones for her age group were taking her about fifteen seconds to do. We went up to puzzles with a hundred pieces, and those keep her busy longer.

I am *not* in this boat as my ds (4 1/2) doesn't want anything to do wit "school." (When he asks for something, it is crafts. He only sits & does it for five minutes, however, before becoming bored & moving on.)

BUT, that said . . . Have you let him sit in on your 6 yr old's lessons (if it won't cause conflict)? AAS would be a tremendous one to let him in on.

Have you thought about starting him on MEP (free - except for printing; if you have an iPad, you can have him do it on there with a stylus) for Math. (I'd recommend Miquon also, but it takes a bit for *you* to get started understanding it. If you have time, it is a GREAT math program & very hands-on for him.)

I DO have an issue with needing to clone me because I don't have enough time for everyone. Best of luck!

Does he recognize letters already? If so, I would be tempted to skip before the code and go straight to ETC. I found with my darter when she was that age more challenge was better. It still only took ten or fifteen minutes but took more mental energy so when she was done she happily played by herself for a while. Also, you might look at mathusee primer. It's perfect for that age and the blocks can provide lots of opportunity for independent "school time".

My DS4 likes playdough. We have "Castle Logix" and "Kanoodle" (by Educational Insights), both of which are frequently used! Magnetic letters and words to copy/identify (DS4 hates it, but DD5 loved it). Kumon "I Can Cut Paper" is always fun for my DS4 (and other Kumon workbooks). Maybe Reading Rods, a Montessori binomial cube, or C- Rods?

I've also heard good things about the "Think Fun" games, although I have yet to see which can be played alone.

We keep a lot of "learning stuff" on the shelves, and we rotate it out monthly or so (was aiming for weekly, but...). It helps keep both my DS4 and DD2 busy so I can work with DD5. But most of the time when DS4 gets bored he gets... loud. Really loud. We have a small, fenced yard and I can see the whole yard from our dining/school room, so he gets handed a ball or a bucket and told to go outside!

I can understand needing to fill more time. One of the things that has helped my K4 is to break up my time with him. So, he starts the day doing an activity on his own. Playing a game, playing in his room, a puzzle ect... It took time to train him that he has to choose an activity and do it in a room his brothers and I are not in. This has taken some time to train him. Then, while my other two are working independently, I spend time reading to him and working on learning to read. Then, we move to working on something as a family. If my K4 son is to wiggly or loud, he then needs to go to another room to play. So, he is given the choice to sit and listen or go play independently. This has been the most effective, as the choice is put on him. It has also helped him realize that he has a choice over what he is doing and that he can be happy when he is alone.

I remember those days! It was impossible to keep my now 8 year old busy when she was 4. She just wanted to do work, work, work. And she whined if I didn't give her something to do. It was so silly, and I couldn't keep up with it either.

We used the R&S workbooks too, and some of the Kumon books are really good too.

I would do things like, ask her to unload all the water bottles or toilet paper rolls out of a package one at a time, and then put them on the table...and then move them all to the counter....I also started having her cut a piece of construction paper into little tiny pieces. It was great for her fine motor skills, and took up some time! A few times I hid a certain number of cards, or every letter from the alphabet around the house, and that would take her awhile to find them all.

Another thing we did ALL the time was I would have her run up and down the hallway like 20 times. She was practicing her counting, and it wore her out! We also bought a duster, and I would have her "dust" the entire house.

You could also have him go outside and collect all the sticks, or something like that. I felt so silly at the time giving my dd all these "meaningless" things to do, but it made her happy. It did pass, and she is nothing like that now!

Would he enjoy listening to an audio book with headphones?

Also, does he have one of those Tag pens? My dd has one and loves it. She has several books, a set of animal cards, a fold out solar system, and a little kit that teaches writing. It's a bit expensive, but definitely worth it.

ETA: Oh, and if the puzzles aren't taking him too long, could you try a more difficult puzzle? My dd could sit and do puzzles all day, but the ones for her age group were taking her about fifteen seconds to do. We went up to puzzles with a hundred pieces, and those keep her busy longer.

I'm really not sure about the audiobook...I think I'd have to try and see.

In retrospect, I maybe should have gotten the Tag pen instead of the Leapster at Christmas for him. He could have used the pen with no limit and then had some screen time on the computer. As it is, I don't like him playing the Leapster for more than 20 min and then don't really want him on the computer after that but he loves Reading Eggs.

I should try more complex puzzles as well. He can do 48 piece puzzles in about 5 minutes.

I am *not* in this boat as my ds (4 1/2) doesn't want anything to do wit "school." (When he asks for something, it is crafts. He only sits & does it for five minutes, however, before becoming bored & moving on.)

BUT, that said . . . Have you let him sit in on your 6 yr old's lessons (if it won't cause conflict)? AAS would be a tremendous one to let him in on.

Have you thought about starting him on MEP (free - except for printing; if you have an iPad, you can have him do it on there with a stylus) for Math. (I'd recommend Miquon also, but it takes a bit for *you* to get started understanding it. If you have time, it is a GREAT math program & very hands-on for him.)

I DO have an issue with needing to clone me because I don't have enough time for everyone. Best of luck!

I did sort of try to let him participate in AAS, which why he knows his letters and sounds so well, but he catches on to things VERY quickly and has a great memory, whereas dd 6yo needs a lot of review and is just generally not very academically driven. Conflict was starting to happen as dd 6yo was getting frustrated and upset when he knew answers that she didn't....

MEP is a very interesting idea. I really think he'd do math all day long. I've never looked at it before and went and took a look after reading your post but I have to say I'm a bit confused...where would I start him? I could definitely put it on the iPad. I actually was looking at CLE gr. 1 math today as well wondering about buying the first 5 units or so for him.

Does he recognize letters already? If so, I would be tempted to skip before the code and go straight to ETC. I found with my darter when she was that age more challenge was better. It still only took ten or fifteen minutes but took more mental energy so when she was done she happily played by herself for a while. Also, you might look at mathusee primer. It's perfect for that age and the blocks can provide lots of opportunity for independent "school time".

I did wonder if he should go straight to ETC. He knows all his letters and the sounds they make. He was starting to sound out words with a lot of accuracy without any additional reading instruction. I'll take a look at my old ETC books and see where he seems to fit.

Again, more math would be very well appreciated by ds. I'll have to look at the cost of MUS primer and blocks.

My DS4 likes playdough. We have "Castle Logix" and "Kanoodle" (by Educational Insights), both of which are frequently used! Magnetic letters and words to copy/identify (DS4 hates it, but DD5 loved it). Kumon "I Can Cut Paper" is always fun for my DS4 (and other Kumon workbooks). Maybe Reading Rods, a Montessori binomial cube, or C- Rods?

I've also heard good things about the "Think Fun" games, although I have yet to see which can be played alone.

We keep a lot of "learning stuff" on the shelves, and we rotate it out monthly or so (was aiming for weekly, but...). It helps keep both my DS4 and DD2 busy so I can work with DD5. But most of the time when DS4 gets bored he gets... loud. Really loud. We have a small, fenced yard and I can see the whole yard from our dining/school room, so he gets handed a ball or a bucket and told to go outside!

Those are some really interesting ideas. I love the look of CastleLogix. I have c-rods...but what should he do with them??

I don't think he'd play outside by himself and as we have a pool in the backyard it requires a higher level of supervision.

I can understand needing to fill more time. One of the things that has helped my K4 is to break up my time with him. So, he starts the day doing an activity on his own. Playing a game, playing in his room, a puzzle ect... It took time to train him that he has to choose an activity and do it in a room his brothers and I are not in. This has taken some time to train him. Then, while my other two are working independently, I spend time reading to him and working on learning to read. Then, we move to working on something as a family. If my K4 son is to wiggly or loud, he then needs to go to another room to play. So, he is given the choice to sit and listen or go play independently. This has been the most effective, as the choice is put on him. It has also helped him realize that he has a choice over what he is doing and that he can be happy when he is alone.

I do a little bit of this as well - he has a daily rotation of activities, some of which are up at the table with us and some he takes into the next room and works on (puzzles, pattern blocks, looking at books, etc). I really just feel badly to give him any less attention than he's already getting, unless I'm willing to forfeit his quiet time in the afternoon and let him spend time with me then....and I don't know if that would be the best decision for ME!

Could you work with each of your kids separately? I have a second grader, kindergartener, preschooler, and a 2yo (plus a baby coming any day). They each have their own school time. The 4yo plays with the 5yo and 2yo in the mornings while I do LA, math, and Latin with the second grader.

I wish I could work with each separately but I don't know how I'd have time! I already find that school (which we generally start between 9-9:30am) takes us for sure until 12:30, then we have lunch, chores, reading hour and quiet time and our day is pretty well done. Often they have their outdoor play time after quiet time if the weather is nice. That takes us to dinner time!

I do wonder if I could send the 6yo off to play with him more often as she doesn't have nearly as much work as the 8yo. Reading hour works very, very well because I get individual time with each and on the "off" times my dds are given no other choice than to go play with their brother. So for an hour SOMEONE is giving him one on one attention.

I remember those days! It was impossible to keep my now 8 year old busy when she was 4. She just wanted to do work, work, work. And she whined if I didn't give her something to do. It was so silly, and I couldn't keep up with it either.

We used the R&S workbooks too, and some of the Kumon books are really good too.

I would do things like, ask her to unload all the water bottles or toilet paper rolls out of a package one at a time, and then put them on the table...and then move them all to the counter....I also started having her cut a piece of construction paper into little tiny pieces. It was great for her fine motor skills, and took up some time! A few times I hid a certain number of cards, or every letter from the alphabet around the house, and that would take her awhile to find them all.

Another thing we did ALL the time was I would have her run up and down the hallway like 20 times. She was practicing her counting, and it wore her out! We also bought a duster, and I would have her "dust" the entire house.

You could also have him go outside and collect all the sticks, or something like that. I felt so silly at the time giving my dd all these "meaningless" things to do, but it made her happy. It did pass, and she is nothing like that now!

I can't see him getting on board with the "meaningless" activities because he is extraordinarily practical, but he would love to hunt for cards all over the house. That's a great idea!!

One thing my 4 yo LOVES is to cut pictures out of magazines. That keeps him busy for quite awhile!

My 4 year old likes Right Start Math and All About Reading. They are not independent things but he really loves "his school" time.

He also does lots of painting and art stuff while I work with my oldest.

I bet the magazines would go over well. I'll have to look at RS math - it's not very independent though, is it?

Unfortunately, arts and crafts is not his thing.

I'm a mean mommy and if my 4 year old gets disruptive, I send him to play in his room. If he continues to be disruptive on purpose because he doesn't want to be in his room, I send him to time out. He sits in on a few things and I'm including him in more things for this latter half of the K school year (such that it is). DD is only K, though, so we take up an hour or so (if it's uninterrupted, anyway).

Perhaps try alternating free play and structured activities, if you haven't already. Set him to an independent task, then when he's done, let him go play for 30 minutes, rinse, repeat.

I'm very open to advice or new curriculum.

I'd let him be bored.:leaving:

I am old fashioned, like those black and white TV shows in which the parents tell the children to run along and play. I am not going to knock myself out finding exciting things for my children to fill their time with.

We just started a great schedule that minimizes the amount of time my children are waiting around for the others to finish school work.

Here is our schedule: I teach all three children at the same time. Then the younger two amuse themselves while I teach the oldest math and some other things. Then he goes off by himself to do all his seatwork. While he is working, I meet with my 6 year old for math, reading and writing. I sit by her as she does her seat work. The 5 year old must entertain himself. Next, it's the 5 year old's turn to do some educational things with me. By the time the 5 year old is done my oldest might be bringing his work to show me. Yay! Now they can all go off and play together.

See how the 5 year old doesn't have much time in which he must play be himself?

It sounds like he is doing lots of 'schooly' stuff already. My 4 year old dd is doing quite a bit of schooly things as well. She also whips right through it and finishes whatever I put before her in little time. I spend time making file folder games and she probably spends an equal amount of time occupied by them. I know you say he wouldn't want more independent play, but I'd like to suggest you try to mix the two. He doesn't necessarily need to be sent off by himself to occupy himself for a little longer. Dd has a smaller table and chair that is light and can be moved. We put it beside the big table in the dining room where we do school. She will play playdough, paint or paint with water, sticker, cut, paste, and marker paper. Very little is needed from me to start these activities as most of this is kept in her reach. I also suggest keeping open ended toys in the room and rotating them out frequently. Toys like duplo blocks, dress up, and very small toys like animals, lego people, that sort of thing. Kids this age love the small toys, dd is into calico critters and pet shop. My dd will absorb herself in setting things up and playing an open ended game for much longer than she will stay occupied by any school activity. She doesn't feel lonely because she is still in the same room and I'm fine with her chattering to me about what she's doing if she wants as long as I'm not reading aloud.

Conflict was starting to happen as dd 6yo was getting frustrated and upset when he knew answers that she didn't....

I was wondering about that, which is why I added in, "if it won't cause conflict."

MEP is a very interesting idea. I really think he'd do math all day long. I've never looked at it before and went and took a look after reading your post but I have to say I'm a bit confused...where would I start him? I could definitely put it on the iPad. I actually was looking at CLE gr. 1 math today as well wondering about buying the first 5 units or so for him.

I'm not a MEP-veteran, so I'd ask the MEP-users. He's probably fine with Year 1.

I have told my kids for years that the word "bored" is an automatic ticket to the great out-of-doors.

I think even kids who are brilliant, academically, have to learn to entertain themselves and not be constantly waiting for the next worksheet or whatever to keep them busy.

You can also keep a colouring box, scissors, etc., and lots of paper nearby and let him know you expect him to use them.

In my experience, it never works to suggest activities to a bored kid. Instead, I try to lay out the day like, "you have Explode the Code, Handwriting Without Tears and math. When you're finished, you can have free play, or you can colour." If you lay it out ahead of time, it might help him to know what's coming next.

You don't mention snacktime, but snacks are a great way to keep "bored" kids busy (around here, sometimes "bored" is the same as a hungry kid who doesn't quite realize it). If you don't let him use a knife yet to cut fruit, buy him an apple corer, peel & separate orange segments or have him prepare PB&J or cream-cheese "cracker-wiches" for the whole family.

I have a Montessori friend who'd be very proud of me for suggesting all that... :lol:

I have c-rods...but what should he do with them?? .

I've always used them (or similar things), as self-directed play. Build, stack, make designs, whatever. My kids use them kind of like blocks at that age, but ev

Entually hit upon a math concept through play ("hey, these two are the same lenght as this one!"). As long as my kids are treating the C-Rods nicely and put them away when they're done, I just let them play.

C-rod play. Legos. Maybe you can set him logic challenges, like "if I have one 3-cup container of water, and one 5-cup container of water, how could I exactly measure four cups?" (Having containers of that size to experiment with would be nice but not necessary.) Is there anything the 6-year-old does mostly independently where you can use that time to work one-on-one with the 4-year-old? Soon he'll need to be part of the school schedule completely, as he gets a bit older, so starting to figure out how to combine them now would be a wise thing. Does he like to organize things? You could teach him the basic rules of chess. Also, if you don't mind this much screen time there are TONS of educational apps for the iPad. I use those a lot for distraction while I school one. "You work on your Monkey Math app while I do math with your big sister, and then it will be your turn while she does Math Bingo!!"

I'm a mean mommy and if my 4 year old gets disruptive, I send him to play in his room. If he continues to be disruptive on purpose because he doesn't want to be in his room, I send him to time out. He sits in on a few things and I'm including him in more things for this latter half of the K school year (such that it is). DD is only K, though, so we take up an hour or so (if it's uninterrupted, anyway).

Perhaps try alternating free play and structured activities, if you haven't already. Set him to an independent task, then when he's done, let him go play for 30 minutes, rinse, repeat.

I'd let him be bored.:leaving:

I am old fashioned, like those black and white TV shows in which the parents tell the children to run along and play. I am not going to knock myself out finding exciting things for my children to fill their time with.

We just started a great schedule that minimizes the amount of time my children are waiting around for the others to finish school work.

Here is our schedule: I teach all three children at the same time. Then the younger two amuse themselves while I teach the oldest math and some other things. Then he goes off by himself to do all his seatwork. While he is working, I meet with my 6 year old for math, reading and writing. I sit by her as she does her seat work. The 5 year old must entertain himself. Next, it's the 5 year old's turn to do some educational things with me. By the time the 5 year old is done my oldest might be bringing his work to show me. Yay! Now they can all go off and play together.

See how the 5 year old doesn't have much time in which he must play be himself?

Well....I hear what you're saying, but I'm really only looking to provide about 3 hours worth of activities for his day. There is a lot of time in the day that he plays and has unstructured time. He isn't sitting in school whining about being bored - I discovered he felt that way after my mom and dh asked him a few different times about school and each time his response was that he didn't like it very much because it's boring. Up until then I was quite sure he wasn't learning a lot but he was doing what I gave him.

I feel a responsibility to meet his educational needs and to create a school environment that inspires his desire to learn. So far I fear he's been disappointed by school time - something that he was looking forward to with great expectation.

I need to find ways to keep him mentally stimulated and challenged, imo. And seeing as we take about 4 hours for school, plus 1.5 hours for quiet time, it's too much time, again imo, to expect him to entertain himself.

I do need to take another look at our schedule and see how I can make it more conducive to minimizing the time that he's waiting around.

It sounds like he is doing lots of 'schooly' stuff already. My 4 year old dd is doing quite a bit of schooly things as well. She also whips right through it and finishes whatever I put before her in little time. I spend time making file folder games and she probably spends an equal amount of time occupied by them. I know you say he wouldn't want more independent play, but I'd like to suggest you try to mix the two. He doesn't necessarily need to be sent off by himself to occupy himself for a little longer. Dd has a smaller table and chair that is light and can be moved. We put it beside the big table in the dining room where we do school. She will play playdough, paint or paint with water, sticker, cut, paste, and marker paper. Very little is needed from me to start these activities as most of this is kept in her reach. I also suggest keeping open ended toys in the room and rotating them out frequently. Toys like duplo blocks, dress up, and very small toys like animals, lego people, that sort of thing. Kids this age love the small toys, dd is into calico critters and pet shop. My dd will absorb herself in setting things up and playing an open ended game for much longer than she will stay occupied by any school activity. She doesn't feel lonely because she is still in the same room and I'm fine with her chattering to me about what she's doing if she wants as long as I'm not reading aloud.

Good suggestions. I made a list last night of all the different things I have that he could play with that would be restricted to "school time" - like c-rods, pop beads, pattern blocks, linking cubes, small whiteboard, marbles, etc. I think sometimes when he's done his work and wants to stay with us rather than going off to his room or the toy room my mind is on other things and I just can't think fast enough on my feet for something I can pull out of the cupboard for him. I think I'll set one of these activities out every day and see if it helps. I should also look for some little people and critters that he could play with - maybe his Schleigh animals. I think he'd be happy with something different than his regular toys that he can play at the table or on the carpet nearby.

I have told my kids for years that the word "bored" is an automatic ticket to the great out-of-doors.

I think even kids who are brilliant, academically, have to learn to entertain themselves and not be constantly waiting for the next worksheet or whatever to keep them busy.

You can also keep a colouring box, scissors, etc., and lots of paper nearby and let him know you expect him to use them.

In my experience, it never works to suggest activities to a bored kid. Instead, I try to lay out the day like, "you have Explode the Code, Handwriting Without Tears and math. When you're finished, you can have free play, or you can colour." If you lay it out ahead of time, it might help him to know what's coming next.

You don't mention snacktime, but snacks are a great way to keep "bored" kids busy (around here, sometimes "bored" is the same as a hungry kid who doesn't quite realize it). If you don't let him use a knife yet to cut fruit, buy him an apple corer, peel & separate orange segments or have him prepare PB&J or cream-cheese "cracker-wiches" for the whole family.

I have a Montessori friend who'd be very proud of me for suggesting all that... :lol:

I do think there's balance to be had and don't want to overdo it, but again, he's not so much complaining of being bored day in and day out as I've noticed that he's less than inspired by his schoolwork. I'd like to find ways to challenge him more as I think it'll take up more time and give him a greater sense of accomplishment.

I'll have to think of some more practical things he could do, like snacks. That would be fabulous because I don't like stopping to get everyone snacks.

I've always used them (or similar things), as self-directed play. Build, stack, make designs, whatever. My kids use them kind of like blocks at that age, but ev

Entually hit upon a math concept through play ("hey, these two are the same lenght as this one!"). As long as my kids are treating the C-Rods nicely and put them away when they're done, I just let them play.

Okay, that's what the kids do when they play with them, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing the point! ;)

C-rod play. Legos. Maybe you can set him logic challenges, like "if I have one 3-cup container of water, and one 5-cup container of water, how could I exactly measure four cups?" (Having containers of that size to experiment with would be nice but not necessary.) Is there anything the 6-year-old does mostly independently where you can use that time to work one-on-one with the 4-year-old? Soon he'll need to be part of the school schedule completely, as he gets a bit older, so starting to figure out how to combine them now would be a wise thing. Does he like to organize things? You could teach him the basic rules of chess. Also, if you don't mind this much screen time there are TONS of educational apps for the iPad. I use those a lot for distraction while I school one. "You work on your Monkey Math app while I do math with your big sister, and then it will be your turn while she does Math Bingo!!"

I know about the iPad!! I'm just trying to determine how much screen time I'm comfortable with. Would you mind recommending a few good apps?

I don't have much one on one time with ds. I have 20 min of reading with him and he has about 15 min of reading with dd 8yo. He also has 20 min each playing with his sisters but I know that's different than one on one time with Mom. My 6yo is painfully dependent so far - so different from my 8yo. Hopefully by next school year....

I wanted to suggest a couple other activities that my dd enjoys that occupy her for a good amount of time. Wood blocks of different sizes and colors, a small tub of water (with or without bubbles)and tub safe toys with little cups set up on top of a few towels, spoons, etc., rice or bean tub with pouring cups, spoons.

Wood blocks and rice made it on to the list I made last night. I bet he'd like the tub of water also - I could set him right up at the kitchen sink.

I would focus on fine motor skills, since you mentioned that he doesn't enjoy writing/printing (which is also VERY typical for his age, BTW).

Play doh

Scissors - buy a cheap package of construction paper, draw big shapes on 5 pages, let him cut them out, then identify colors, shapes, etc. Or sort them (...."Can you put all of the RED shapes together?")

Sort buttons, beads, etc by shape, color, size

When my kids were that age they used to LOVE playing with a big plastic container that I filled up with beans. Then I gave them big spoons and a set of dry measuring cups and let them play. That lasted longer than a lot of other activities. We put the big container down into the sink, and let them stand on a step stool, which made it extra "special."

Make your own manipulatives by mixing some water, cornstarch, and a little food coloring and putting a small amount into a large ziplock bag. Place it on a flat surface, and practice tracing letters and drawing shapes.

I'm not a big fan of screen time, so I don't allow it during school hours even for educational games or shows. My 5 year old zips through things quickly too, and if I'm doing something with his sister I just tell him he is 'on break' until I get back to him with another task or activity. He seems to like the idea of being on break. He'll wander off and play with legos or cars or something for ten or fifteen minutes at a time. This gives me some time to finish up what I'm doing with his sister. Basically I have to plan things to get fifteen minute increments of time to work with his sister, and I have had to work with her so that she is able to work independently for fifteen minutes or more at a time so that I can work with him (when I do read alouds or something 1:1 with him). I only have two in school now, but I have up to three grandchildren here also ages 18 months to three years and they make the place lively too.

I've got a list (like three pages) of different things to give him to do to keep him busy doing little schooly things. You'll have to brainstorm and make a list of your own. I have things that others have mentioned, like cutting paper or cutting yarn, and a pouring water from one container to another (I'm going to add beans to my list!) and writing letters on whiteboard or tracing them on wipe-off cards or making letters out of clay, filling in the outline of letters with clay, and things like index cards with numbers on them and he has to lay out that number of buttons on the card or attach that number of clothespins, that kind of thing. I also have him sort socks, put folded clothes in the right rooms, sort silverware, and even organize canned goods by the pictures on the labels. I've given him a bucket of water with dish soap and a scrub brush and let him 'scrub' the kitchen floor and a spray bottle of water and vinegar to 'wash' the windows. He also likes to make necklaces with yarn and cheerios or macaroni and those take a good fifteen minutes or so also. Then he gets that 'break' :D

I also take the kids outside and have them run around every couple hours, which helps. If the weather is bad I have them play Active Life Explorer on the Wii or chase each other around the table or put on music and dance like crazy. He is more willing to sit and play with his cars (and make them have conversations and things with each other) if he has had a chance to run around a bit.

Hang in there, this stage doesn't last forever. It seems like no time at all until they are stuck on a chair unmoving for hours with their noses in a book and the only way you can tell they are alive is that you can see them breathing.