Menu

What would you call this on a school schedule?

Ds and I have always started our school day with read aloud time. Lately we've started chatting a bit before school, sometimes discussing a conversation from here, sometimes a current event, all very informal. I want to start adding a quick run through of our schedule for the day (so needed to focus) and maybe do some language vocabulary. All together I'm envisioning 15 to 20 minutes of chat time before we read.

I know some schools have a time like this. I've seen it called seminar time, but I don't like that term. I want something to list on the schedule, but I don't know what to call it. Chat is too informal, orientation is too formal. Memory time isn't right either. Home room seems silly as we're a one room school. :tongue_smilie:

What are some names I could use?

I like these, thank you and keep them coming.

We could do square time, as our desks form a square, but...well ds would be amused. :lol:

Advisory time: as in I advise you to actually finish your math today otherwise there will be consequences (said with a raised eyebrow).

Meeting time: Probably want to avoid meeting as that reminds me of Monday morning meetings in my last job. I would zone out and doodle palm trees on my notes. Wait, that would be perfect as that is what ds prefers to do in the morning, except he draws geometric shapes.

These are helping, thank you all.

Ds and I have always started our school day with read aloud time. Lately we've started chatting a bit before school, sometimes discussing a conversation from here, sometimes a current event, all very informal. I want to start adding a quick run through of our schedule for the day (so needed to focus) and maybe do some language vocabulary. All together I'm envisioning 15 to 20 minutes of chat time before we read.

I know some schools have a time like this. I've seen it called seminar time, but I don't like that term. I want something to list on the schedule, but I don't know what to call it. Chat is too informal, orientation is too formal. Memory time isn't right either. Home room seems silly as we're a one room school. :tongue_smilie:

Picking up in what you said above, what about just calling it "Focus"? "Daily prep"? "Focus Time"? "Daily Focus"?

I like these, thank you and keep them coming.

We could do square time, as our desks form a square, but...well ds would be amused. :lol:

Advisory time: as in I advise you to actually finish your math today otherwise there will be consequences (said with a raised eyebrow).

Meeting time: Probably want to avoid meeting as that reminds me of Monday morning meetings in my last job. I would zone out and doodle palm trees on my notes. Wait, that would be perfect as that is what ds prefers to do in the morning, except he draws geometric shapes.

These are helping, thank you all.

Family Time?

Lately we've started chatting a bit before school, sometimes discussing a conversation from here, sometimes a current event, all very informal. I want to start adding a quick run through of our schedule for the day (so needed to focus) and maybe do some language vocabulary. All together I'm envisioning 15 to 20 minutes of chat time before we read.

When I was in the military the colonel called these How Goes It meetings. They were short and informal and just with the unit commanders; they didn't replace the longer, more formal staff meetings.

When I was in the military the colonel called these How Goes It meetings. They were short and informal and just with the unit commanders; they didn't replace the longer, more formal staff meetings.

I like that.

I'm going to run some of these by ds, he always has an opinion. :D

I'm also thinking I want to put it into a foreign language, Japanese, Latin, or Elvish.

I did find 'Quel re is Elvish for Good day, that might work.

We have done this since we first started homeschooling and they were first learning about the calendar and weather.

The kids named it "Morning Greeting". I wanted to call it "homeroom" time. They made it quite clear that "Morning Greeting" was a much nicer way to start the day. It has it's own special spot on their daily assignment sheet.

Every day we check our calendars, our daily school assignment sheet, weather, current events, memorization work, and spend some time on a special topic we are working on. Right now we are making our way through the "Constitutional Literacy" set of DVD's. In the past we have done logic, geography, poems, Orchestra study, a science trivia study, Aesop's Fables, "Whatever Happened to Penny Candy", etc.

One of my favorite things that we have also done for years is that I buy a desktop calendar on "1000 Places to See Before You Die" each year. Each day, we rip the top one off and they take turns looking the place up on our globe. If we want to learn more, we look it up online. We have learned so much with this mini geography lesson every day.

Maybe try to think backwards and ask yourself how you would list it on his transcript?

Well it's not anything that would be listed on a transcript, so that is not a concern.

Still haven't decided, just waking up. Since ds and I aren't morning people we could call it zombie elimination time. :p

After a few days of debate I have settled on Gi suilon (pronounced gi- swee-lon). It means I greet three in Elvish (Sindarin).

Edited by elegantlion